Laurine Lecavelier | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Laurine Lecavelier

Roast Toast

Medalist
Not really sold on either of them for now tbh. Marilyn Monroe is a great idea for her on paper but she was just too sloppy here to really get a good idea of the program. We all know that Laurine has very little in-between though -- either she skates lights out or she struggles throughout! She's definitely not relying on a gimmick now, but I'm afraid her gorgeous skating might get somewhat overshadowed without the fun and hype that Grease undoubtedly brought.

The SP is very good but doesn't have quite the same magic as last year for me. I hope she'll go back to Experience at some point during the season. Also, the dress has to go -- it's not "artistic", it's just ugly :yahoo:.

I think overall she is showing the same promise as last year: a skater with wonderful musicality and good skating skills unfortunately saddled with a scary and unreliable jump technique.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's a beautiful program, too! The music really suits her, and I love her interpretation of it. Also, that pink dress is gorgeous.

One set of commentators (either Canadian or US, I'm not sure as I can never tell the accents apart I'm afraid) mentioned that she scrapped her original SP only ten days ago because she wasn't happy with how it was being received and choreographed this one with one of her coaches, which is pretty amazing. She must be feeling vindicated about that choice right now, too, having landed all her jumps and given herself at least a chance at making the top six.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
It's a beautiful program, too! The music really suits her, and I love her interpretation of it. Also, that pink dress is gorgeous.

One set of commentators (either Canadian or US, I'm not sure as I can never tell the accents apart I'm afraid) mentioned that she scrapped her original SP only ten days ago because she wasn't happy with how it was being received and choreographed this one with one of her coaches, which is pretty amazing. She must be feeling vindicated about that choice right now, too, having landed all her jumps and given herself at least a chance at making the top six.

Wow, what an amazing story! I think everyone was really impressed with her once again today. This program really shows her range and versatility as a performer.

Tulipstar

Medalist

I agree. That was a lovely SP. She seemed happy and relaxed as well.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
she was delightful in the SP. I thought her scores should have been a bit higher. Good luck in the free!!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hi, new fan right here! 😀 She's so amazing!!! Her programs are beautiful, I love her SP from last year.

That SP was magical - I hope she's able to take some of the style forward into future seasons, because it really suited her. :)

greig

Rinkside
love laurines sp this year..but she really needs to go back to the drawing board in regards to her long programme. This Marilyn tribute is just cheap and tacky and lacks the originality and artistry which laurine has displayed in both her sp this year and especially her breakthrough sp last year. Beautiful skater but just hoping that she sorts out this long programme and continues to work on the jumps because she has the potential to easily be in the top 10 at worlds and on the podium at europeans!fingers crossed for her😊

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
even though i still think her long is tacky, i also think it was much improved here compared to skate canada with the change of music in the end. I hope she can improve fast for olympic selections...

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm absolutely gutted for Laurine after today :( Seeing how much potential she has and how she became somewhat of a breakout star last season, it's really hard to watch her struggle to even put together one clean program these days. I don't want to blame it all on Kori Ade's team - a new coach and a new training situation must be quite an adjustment - but from an outside perspective, it just seems like all of the good work she'd obviously done with Katia Gentelet has been completely undone. I don't have a keen enough eye yet to see exactly how she's improved since the coaching change, but honestly, things have been steadily rolling downhill for Laurine since Skate Canada, and like it said, it's tough to watch not only as a spectator, but as a person just seeing her so obviously devastated like today. I honestly hope she goes back to Gentelet, who she seemed to have a real connection with.

greig

Rinkside
I'm absolutely gutted for Laurine after today :( Seeing how much potential she has and how she became somewhat of a breakout star last season, it's really hard to watch her struggle to even put together one clean program these days. I don't want to blame it all on Kori Ade's team - a new coach and a new training situation must be quite an adjustment - but from an outside perspective, it just seems like all of the good work she'd obviously done with Katia Gentelet has been completely undone. I don't have a keen enough eye yet to see exactly how she's improved since the coaching change, but honestly, things have been steadily rolling downhill for Laurine since Skate Canada, and like it said, it's tough to watch not only as a spectator, but as a person just seeing her so obviously devastated like today. I honestly hope she goes back to Gentelet, who she seemed to have a real connection with.

I agree with everything you are saying.I was very dissapointed to see her reaction today.I do think the pressure got to her and then being last of the day following the Russian girls and Carolina can't have been easy..plus knowing that she must beat mae berenice to get to secure the Olympics and worlds..i don't think though that this new coaching situation is going to work.from an outside perspective it does feel they are not invested in loreen..both at nationals and the europeans neither kori or roheen were on side and that must be difficult.I feel that there is huge potential for this girl.but right now maybe is not her time.she needs to go back to katia...i guess the grass isn't always greener on the other side and who knows maybe Saturday night be the comeback that laurine really needs and deserves.I Have faith in her.😊

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Laurine's such a lovely skater, and she had that gorgeous lightness back in her SP yesterday that was missing at Internationaux de France, but what worries me is that each time we see her at a competition she seems to be more unhappy. I know Kori not being there wasn't planned - there was a visa issue, it was out of their control - and she clearly expects a lot of herself and is upset if she doesn't match up to her own standards, but it was horrible to see her without much support when she was so down. Maybe moving internationally has been a bigger strain than she anticipated? I don't know. I just want to see happy Laurine skating confidently again.

ETA: I just saw this interview linked in a different thread: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/01/18/264872816/russian-solyanka-fernandez-up-on-his-history

It seems that Laurine had an injury just after French Nationals and was only able to get in about a week of full training for this competition. And then all the travel issues, and her skates almost going missing...while she's fighting for that Olympic spot. No wonder she's stressed, poor girl!

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
ETA: I just saw this interview linked in a different thread: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2018/01/18/264872816/russian-solyanka-fernandez-up-on-his-history

It seems that Laurine had an injury just after French Nationals and was only able to get in about a week of full training for this competition. And then all the travel issues, and her skates almost going missing...while she's fighting for that Olympic spot. No wonder she's stressed, poor girl!

Oh wow, that poor thing. I knew about Kori's visa issues, but I had no idea about everything else. Those tears yesterday were probably as much from all the stress she's gone through trying to prepare to compete as much as they were from the rough sp. I hope she's able to at least come back and regain a bit of confidence in the free skate.

I don't think all hope is lost for Laurine at all. I have faith in her, and I think it's fortunate that she represents a country that doesn't have a ton of depth in figure skating. She could probably go another quadrennial.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Laurine's such a lovely skater, and she had that gorgeous lightness back in her SP yesterday that was missing at Internationaux de France, but what worries me is that each time we see her at a competition she seems to be more unhappy. I know Kori not being there wasn't planned - there was a visa issue, it was out of their control - and she clearly expects a lot of herself and is upset if she doesn't match up to her own standards, but it was horrible to see her without much support when she was so down. Maybe moving internationally has been a bigger strain than she anticipated? I don't know. I just want to see happy Laurine skating confidently again.

That was really tough to watch yesterday. I couldn't help but start crying too when I saw Laurine cry. I imagine you're right that the stress was just too much with all of the added problems of the last weeks.

I wrote a message of encouragement and sent it to her training mate Jason Brown on Twitter. Maybe he will get it to her. I just hope she knows that she has a lot of fans who love and appreciate her incredible talent.

It really seems like things have been in a downward trajectory since her overnight success at Euros last year. I question whether Kori's team has done right by her. Many things seem to be off. I also thought she seemed to be really making huge strides with Katia Gentelet. I wonder what happened between them.

For a big American training organization to send her to the Grand Prix in France (IdF) so unprepared with a badly re-edited FS... that seemed a big red flag for me. She looked lost. I'm glad she's gone back to Grease, but I wonder if she's ready. It's upsetting that every choice her team made this season was seemingly a step in the wrong direction after last year. And then these circumstances with her coach not being present at Europeans... seems like disorganization on their part not to have a good back up plan. She looked totally alone and devastated yesterday. That's just not right.

I've read her say many times that she is planning to stay until 2022. She is working on a 3A and has long-term goals. But I'm worried about her after yesterday. I'm just wishing her the best tomorrow. What will be, will be. It seems that unfortunately this season Maé is in a better space mentally to take the Olympic spot. But, bon courage, Laurine! Hope to see a strong fight, and I believe in her as well!