2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 308 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

Imagine

Medalist
The Adam Rippon + Mirai Nagasu friendship is becoming a huge thing. It’s actually really beautiful. I kinda feel bad for Ashley though...not only did she loose the Olympic spot, but now her gbf is being taken from her as well...at least in the eyes of the public.

Anyway, now we know the secret to a successful comeback, she just has to get some In-N-Out, do some soul searching, and come back in 2022 with all da quads.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The Adam Rippon + Mirai Nagasu friendship is becoming a huge thing. It’s actually really beautiful. I kinda feel bad for Ashley though...not only did she loose the Olympic spot, but now her gbf is being taken from her as well...at least in the eyes of the public.

I think Ashley is fine. I doubt she harbors any resentment towards Mirai, as she isn't the skater who Ashley feels took her place.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think it's possible to have more than one best friend. Adam and Ashley have been friends for years, have roomed together, etc. And I seriously doubt that resentment over an Olympic spot would ruin her and Adam's friendship. This is the kind of thing you see made up in the tabloids.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Anyway, now we know the secret to a successful comeback, she just has to get some In-N-Out, do some soul searching, and come back in 2022 with all da quads.[/QUOTE]

Not that I think she will attempt to but I seriously believe Mirai could do a quad toe. The 3a has become so consistent in practice,(landed all that she attempted in PyeongChang so far according to practice notes. First day ONE was UR) so I believe if she put her mind to it she could land a quad. Mirai is so amazing for getting that 3a late in her career and it just goes to show how talented+hard working she is.

kimi492

Final Flight
Not that I think she will attempt to but I seriously believe Mirai could do a quad toe. The 3a has become so consistent in practice,(landed all that she attempted in PyeongChang so far according to practice notes. First day ONE was UR) so I believe if she put her mind to it she could land a quad. Mirai is so amazing for getting that 3a late in her career and it just goes to show how talented+hard working she is.

My advice to Mirai technically would work on making on her 3Z 2(t)? combo a 3-3 and maybe try to add another triple axel. If she could add artistry on top of that she’d be rubbing elbows with the best in the world

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's possible to have more than one best friend. Adam and Ashley have been friends for years, have roomed together, etc. And I seriously doubt that resentment over an Olympic spot would ruin her and Adam's friendship. This is the kind of thing you see made up in the tabloids.

Adam has many "best friends" among ladies skaters. But I think Ashley is #1, so I don't think she has anything to worry about.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is a big group of ladies, including our two Americans, who all have the potential to score within a point or two of each other: Mirai, Bradie, Satoko, Carolina, Gabby. Any one of these could end up from 5th to 9th, assuming Sotskova is in the top four. Carolina has shown, to me at least, that she doesn't have the tech to score like she needs to in her LP for a top four finish. Of course, if any of the top four make mistakes (very possible for Kaetlyn and Maria), then one of the group could move into 4th or, if the stars align, even third.

andromache

Record Breaker
My advice to Mirai technically would work on making on her 3Z 2(t)? combo a 3-3 and maybe try to add another triple axel. If she could add artistry on top of that she’d be rubbing elbows with the best in the world

She's finally figuring out how to put the pieces together technically and rotate those jumps in competition! I think developing her programs in terms of expression and transitions would be huge for her.

tosca

On the Ice
Adam has many "best friends" among ladies skaters. But I think Ashley is #1, so I don't think she has anything to worry about.

Adam posted on national women’s day,I believe, a post of all the amazing ladies in his life that he admires. Mirai and Ashley were both included with christina Gao as well.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Have you seen this? I'm not sure what an Avalanche ice girl is, but Mirai was one 2 years ago

https://www.nhl.com/news/mirai-nagasu-leads-us-to-bronze-in-olympic-team-figure-skating/c-295886102

The Avalanche is Colorado’s NHL Team. The ice girls clean the ice in between periods, and do charity and promotional work off ice. Some but not all NHL teams have them. Here are bios for the current ice girls, many of whom are quite accomplished.

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/fans/ice-girls

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Re Mirai's history as one of the Avs Girls:

If anyone is curious to know more, late last night I posted some links in Mirai's fan thread -- to add to reneerose's initial post there with the link to the local news station's montage.​

I was wondering if In-N-Out Burger could give Mirai and Adam endorsements after the Olympics....

I have been having the same wish re In-N-Out :agree:.

Meanwhile, KT Tape is an official USOC sponsor, and I hope that maybe it would like to add Mirai to the group of individual athletes whom it sponsors.

The Today show devoted a segment this morning to KT Tape, with a major focus on Mirai. (Other athletes also were mentioned.)

(I did see that KT Tape's Instagram account had a photo/comment re Mirai's team FS. But I hope KT Tape will step up and support her with a sponsorship.)​

ETA:
Forgot that we also need to get Mirai on DWTS :dance2:. Borrowing her bestie Alex Johnson's hashtag: #MiraiNagasuForDWTS​

Adam posted on national women’s day,I believe, a post of all the amazing ladies in his life that he admires. Mirai and Ashley were both included with christina Gao as well.

Yes :agree:. And BTW, Gracie Gold also was in Adam's post. Polina Edmunds too, IIRC.

My two cents re Ashley and Adam:
Adam and Mirai are besties who clearly have a longstanding friendship.
Same for Adam and Ashley. I hope and expect that as one of Adam's besties (perhaps first among equals), Ashley would be thrilled for him to have as many successes and moments in the sun as possible -- whether with or without her.​

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think Ashley is fine. I doubt she harbors any resentment towards Mirai, as she isn't the skater who Ashley feels took her place.

None of the skaters "Took Ashley's place, right?" It's the judges she's mad at so I hope there's no resentment from any of the skaters.

MarinHondas

Final Flight

Mirai has 2a-3t-2t which is worth just as much as a second 3-3. She lost some silly points technically and still earned 73+ if she makes those up her tech score will be 75+. That's a tech score that can compete w the rest of the world. She doesn't need to do anything or add anything. She needs to skate completely clean and get all her levels.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
USOC press conference with Karen, Mirai, Bradie is coming up in a few hours. In Korea time:

Sunday, Feb. 18
4:30 p.m. – Figure Skating (Women) – PyeongChang
Karen Chen, Mirai Nagasu, Bradie Tennell

https://www.teamusa.org/Media/Games/PyeongChang-2018/Games-Media-Services/Press-Conferences

Happy photo of Mirai, Tom Z, Bradie, Denise M, and the Knierims:

If I am not mistaken, the occasion was the presentation of Order of Ikkos medals to the coaches. :bow: (Dalilah already was on her way back to the U.S.)

["The USOC’s Order of Ikkos medal allows for each U.S. Olympic or Paralympic medalist to acknowledge one coach for their leadership in achieving world-class success. Each medal is uniquely handcrafted to reflect the Olympic and Paralympic Games for that year." ]​

USFS Instagram story has cute/funny video of what seems to be Mirai addressing TZ as she presents his medal to him. :ghug:

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Schedules for SP starting order are out. Bradie is skating FIRST in the FIRST group. This is going to totally murder her scores imo. I think she will get maybe 66-68 at best and solely because of her starting order. If she was in G3 or 4 I could see her getting 70. Not with this start order unfortunately. Mirai and Karen are both in G4, second to last group. Karen will be the last U.S. lady to compete in the SP. I wonder if any U.S. lady can push for the last warm-up group in the LP. Mirai probably has the best shot of doing so.

rlopen

On the Ice
Schedules for SP starting order are out. Bradie is skating FIRST in the FIRST group. This is going to totally murder her scores imo. I think she will get maybe 66-68 at best and solely because of her starting order. If she was in G3 or 4 I could see her getting 70. Not with this start order unfortunately. Mirai and Karen are both in G4, second to last group. Karen will be the last U.S. lady to compete in the SP. I wonder if any U.S. lady can push for the last warm-up group in the LP. Mirai probably has the best shot of doing so.

I'm just confused as to how the American No. 1, Skate America bronze medalist, and 43rd in the World Standings is in the first group...prior to Canadian No.3, guaranteed-to-not-make-free-skate and 177th Larkyn Austman, or guaranteed-to-not-make-free-skate and 90th ranked Aiza Mambekova, or 51st ranked Xiangning Li, or 60th ranked Alexia Paganini, or 52nd ranked Giada Russo. There are literally 5 other skaters who all objectively based on rankings and results should have been behind her in the starting order. What criteria are they using? It's just so wrong. I wouldn't complain about starting time but we know that even being one group later can be the difference between an extra half point or so and the potential difference between Bradie being 7th and in the second to last group for the free skate, or 6th and in the last group for the free skate. (I'm not saying she WILL be at 7th/6th..but still it could be the different between a placement...or even two.)

Imagine

Medalist
If Mirai lands 2 more 3As, gets in the top 5, and maybe medals at Worlds, is she the next lady to enter the USFS Hall of Fame?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm just confused as to how the American No. 1, Skate America bronze medalist, and 43rd in the World Standings is in the first group...prior to Canadian No.3, guaranteed-to-not-make-free-skate and 177th Larkyn Austman, or guaranteed-to-not-make-free-skate and 90th ranked Aiza Mambekova, or 51st ranked Xiangning Li, or 60th ranked Alexia Paganini, or 52nd ranked Giada Russo. There are literally 5 other skaters who all objectively based on rankings and results should have been behind her in the starting order. What criteria are they using? It's just so wrong. ...

According to the draw procedure for ISU Championships and OWG, Bradie could have ended up anywhere from #1 to #15 in the OWG start order.

So happened that Bradie drew to skate first.

Explanation:

Based on ISU World Standings, the thirty OWG entries are divided into two groups: a "skating later" group of fifteen and a "skating earlier" group of fifteen.

Bradie is #43 on the World Standings list.
Of the thirty OWG entries, at least twenty are higher on the WS list than Bradie.
So she was in the "skating earlier" group.

There was a random draw among the fifteen in the "skating earlier" group to determine positions #1 thru #15 in the start order.​

(The determination of positions #16 thru #30 is slightly more complex. I'm not going to go into that explanation.)