2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 307 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

andromache

Record Breaker
I'll tell you something about the chatter post-Olympic team event: Katelyn Osmond ranks #1 among the men around here. She's a certified hottie, unanimous consensus, and no one else comes close

NBC may promote winners, white or not, but there's something else that sells much better

Ashley was always my husband's "skating girlfriend," but since she didn't qualify for the Olympics, he had to pick a new one, and he went with Gabby, lol.

(He also loves Evgenia, but she's too young and innocent to be a hottie.)

klutzy

On the Ice
I did not think Mirai had that skate in her, and I take back everything I said about how she shouldn't be in the team event. More than happy to admit when I'm wrong when it involves such a triumphant performance.

Yep, me as well (mostly because I still feel two ice dance teams should have had a chance at a team medal), but Mirai was magnificent last night--still not a ton of choreography, but she skated with elation and it was delightful to see her have a skate like that at the Olympics.

I might add, she's getting plenty of media attention today. She's made her mark.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Mirai was super. Never have seen her skate better. Yes, I too am glad to admit I was wrong about her skating. Only wish she could have been this good all these years when she faltered.

People need the journey to get to their destination.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
So, the only thing our two junior ladies need to do come Junior Worlds is place at least 6th and 7th?? And then 3 US spots will be restored for the first time since 2014??

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So, the only thing our two junior ladies need to do come Junior Worlds is place at least 6th and 7th?? And then 3 US spots will be restored for the first time since 2014??

That will be a heavy task with 3 Russians, 3 Japanese and 2 Korean skaters. And there are strong skaters from outside those three countries. I think it's totally possible, but there is not much room for error.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Do you think Mirai dropped a point or so by corpsing near the end of her program?

From an artistic standpoint, Miss Saigon is not something to perform with a huge grin on your face…

skatenewbie

Medalist
Do you think Mirai dropped a point or so by corpsing near the end of her program?

From an artistic standpoint, Miss Saigon is not something to perform with a huge grin on your face…
idk but some judges apparently moved by the 3A and her clean performance, and give her 8s and 9s. But some are not so impressed with her less transition and jump focused program and still gives her 7s overall. Thats why her PCS is still at 64, averaging 8 becaus its even out. If she manages to get in final flight in individual event and skate like this her PCS will move up for sure even if just 1-2 points.

tosca

On the Ice
Is Mirai planning on doing the 3A in her sp?

Yes, Mirai has been competing with the 3A in both her SP and FS all season.

She lost points on her CCoSp where she only got a level 3 vs. her usual level 4 (it looked slower than usual... a 2.5pt base vs. a 3.5pt base). She got a 3.29 w/ a positive GOE where she usually gets around 4.43 so that was a -1pt miss right there.

Additionally, she lost a point on her 2A+3T+2T combo. She actually was ahead of the music at that point and was not in the second half to earn the +10% bonus. W/O the bonus she earned a 9.7 w/ positive GOE but had she gotten the same GOE in the bonus (literally 5 seconds later) she would have received +1pt (technically +.97pt) if you want to get technical. Had she gotten both the level 4 and skated her combo in the second half w/ the same GOE, her new score could have been 139.5pts. I think those are easy fixes... I just wish her PCs would move up. That being said, Mirai was quoted as saying she "didn't feel 100% out there" (see Nick McCarvel interview) so I am excited to see what she does with this to build up her confidence!

I also think that part of Miss Saigon's story is Kim's happiness being in love (Sun and Moon)... and yes it is a tragedy in the end but I feel that I interpreted her smiling as her portraying the joy and angst of being in love in the step sequence (she also does some angsty faces). I do wish she would portray more worry/mystery in her face in the beginning. I imagine Mirai as Kim experiencing the nervous, frantic energy of Saigon (and not knowing what is going to happen in Saigon with the inevitable fall) in the opening.

ks777

Record Breaker
I was wondering if In-N-Out Burger could give Mirai and Adam endorsements after the Olympics....

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, Nagasu was a pleasant surprise last night. FWIW, her score was pretty much right on par with Tennell’s score at SA. That effort was a big factor in the US securing team bronze so she should be proud of herself there.

Bradie's SA score would not have beaten Gabriella. Mirai has potential to score even higher because she lost some levels on a spin and some footwork. And maybe the judges will finally start giving her the higher PCS she deserves.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last night the focus made sense, I was more referring to commercials that played before the games started, and the piece they showed before the opening ceremonies of random USA athletes. Bradie got the only screen time of any of the us ladies. We can agree to disagree but I will always believe white and blonde is the most marketable in the eyes of nbc/advertisers. Look at the sheer amount of coverage Lindsey Vonn gets. Mirai came back from a heartbreak four years to make her second Olympic team eight years after the first, armed with the hardest jump she taught her self at age 23. That to me is way more interesting then girl comes out of nowhere to win US nationals. 🤷🏻*♀️

What a difference a day makes!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well if they judge CORRECTLY for once and Kostner struggles in the free like she always does, Mirai could beat
Gabby's only just regaining her consistency. A 3A could throw her in front of her. But third is as high as it gets and I think 4th would be something to be proud of.

And second would make her even prouder!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lol Ashley giving us the instagram scoop on Chloe Kim and the ladies halfpipe! I think she had a good time there seeing snowboarding like that for the first time.