What kind of skater can I be? | Golden Skate

What kind of skater can I be?

sk8chis

On the Ice
Hey everyone! I'm new here. I had some questions about how far I can go with skating. I know, sigh, another want to be Olympics skater. Hahha, but no. I'm a little bit more realistic than that, I think.
So background on myself.

I started skating around 8 or 9, I believe. We used to skate on and off, twice a week, with group lessons until I was i think 14 or 15? I got up to learning my flip jump. My rink calls it FS4? The level before learning axel. I used to do twice a week and then when I started 8 grade and made more friends it became around once a week for my lessons because i just wanted to hang out with friends instead.

And then in high school, I had to deal with bullies and became really depressed (don't worry this story has a happy ending i promise haha) so my weekly group lessons got replaced with weekly therapist visits and completely stopped skating for good; I believe this was 15 or 16. After I graduated I started going to work and hanging with friends but skating was always in the back of my head, I always wanted to get back into skating but I could never find the time.
But here I am at 20 and in the process of getting back into skating. I went skating for fun about 3 to 4 times last year and the year before that too. I can still do the basics but I lost all my jumps and spins up until a scratch and a salchow :sad21:; and while it makes me sad to know I've lost that much I'm also pretty optimistic about what I can learn.:yahoo:

I live in between 4 rinks so accessibility isn't a problem. I want to do lessons at least once or twice a week if i do group lessons and private lessons. with one or two extra days a week for practice. So about I would be on the ice 3-4 times a week, a few hours each.

I feel like on forums and articles for skating it's either being recreational or trying to go for Olympics, when considering there is only like 40 or slightly more mainstream figure skaters, that there has to be some gray matter inbetween right?

Being completely honest (feel free to tell me I'm out my skate-loving mind), what could be the farthest I can go with skating?
Obviously I would never make it to the Olympics, nor do I think I want to, regardless of how much I love skating.

I want to eventually compete, but I don't know if nationals could be in the cards for me. Anyone have any insight or advice on how far can I go with skating if I don't want to train as if I'm trying to get to Olympics?

Thanks for any response I get!:thank:

sk8chis

On the Ice
Also, I just bought some Edea Ice Fly's, and yes I'm aware they're for triples and quads, but I spoke with a coach/friend and she said I was okay for them considering I have my correct size so no overbooting, which is impossible in them i hear, but because of how often I will be skating so I won't have to buy them later when I get to axels.
I LOVE the fit of them. Still debating on blades though. Which do you prefer, MK Professionals or Coronation Ace? I hear Eclipse blades are good but my skate shop said MK or Coronation is best but I hear theyre the same plus they are also the same cost

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Also, I just bought some Edea Ice Fly's, and yes I'm aware they're for triples and quads, but I spoke with a coach/friend and she said I was okay for them considering I have my correct size so no overbooting, which is impossible in them i hear, but because of how often I will be skating so I won't have to buy them later when I get to axels.
I LOVE the fit of them. Still debating on blades though. Which do you prefer, MK Professionals or Coronation Ace? I hear Eclipse blades are good but my skate shop said MK or Coronation is best but I hear theyre the same plus they are also the same cost

I personally prefer Wilson blades to MK so I'd say the Ace. As far as skating and as far as you can go is concerned, just focus on taking your lessons again and practicing proper technique and see where you go from there. At your age there are a wide range of adult skating competitions you could do etc when the time comes.

Good luck!

sk8chis

On the Ice
also, luckily for me I'm still the same size I was when I last stopped skating but I put on an extra 5 pounds (though Im not even sure where, i cant tell lol). i'm 5'6 1/2 and 110 now. and I'm really really skinny haha. I always get told I have the body for it so thats reassuring as well.

Im not sure what other information/background to include, but feel free to ask if it helps tailor your response.

sk8chis

On the Ice
Thanks!
Why do you prefer Wilson? I had a friend said she hated the way her Ace felt on her ice flys, she said spinning was awful.

I feel like I'm pretty new to the whole separate boot and blade thing, since I think my dad bought my last skates together. Some old pair of Riedell that is now discontinued. My sister has Harlick which she bought separate but Im not sure what blade she uses nor do I think she knows either.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks!
Why do you prefer Wilson? I had a friend said she hated the way her Ace felt on her ice flys, she said spinning was awful.

I feel like I'm pretty new to the whole separate boot and blade thing, since I think my dad bought my last skates together. Some old pair of Riedell that is now discontinued. My sister has Harlick which she bought separate but Im not sure what blade she uses nor do I think she knows either.

Because as a former elite skater and now pro, I've tried many blades of both companies, and I prefer my Wilson blades (I wear a Pattern 99).

sk8chis

On the Ice
Because as a former elite skater and now pro, I've tried many blades of both companies, and I prefer my Wilson blades (I wear a Pattern 99).

Im a little nervous about the cross-cut toe pick, I've never skated with a cross cut before. When considering the Ace should I get the revolution or reg. Ace?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Im a little nervous about the cross-cut toe pick, I've never skated with a cross cut before. When considering the Ace should I get the revolution or reg. Ace?

Both the J.W. Ace and the MK Pro have cross-cut picks. It just means more bite and grip stability with your picks.

The Rev is going to be by personal choice, they are a bit lighter but I hated my P99 revs when I had them, because they made catch foot spins a pain.

sk8chis

On the Ice
Both the J.W. Ace and the MK Pro have cross-cut picks. It just means more bite and grip stability with your picks.

The Rev is going to be by personal choice, they are a bit lighter but I hated my P99 revs when I had them, because they made catch foot spins a pain.

Ooh I see, makes sense. Thank you for the help!

kelliusmaximus

Rinkside
We can't really answer that, if you skate that often and have talent you could get doubles except 2a (which is probably the upper limit for adult starters). Rather than get ahead of yourself, you just need to start skating and monitor your progress as you go, then reevaluate your goals depending on how you go.

Girlbird

On the Ice
I feel like on forums and articles for skating it's either being recreational or trying to go for Olympics, when considering there is only like 40 or slightly more mainstream figure skaters, that there has to be some gray matter inbetween right?

Being completely honest (feel free to tell me I'm out my skate-loving mind), what could be the farthest I can go with skating?
Obviously I would never make it to the Olympics, nor do I think I want to, regardless of how much I love skating.

I want to eventually compete, but I don't know if nationals could be in the cards for me. Anyone have any insight or advice on how far can I go with skating if I don't want to train as if I'm trying to get to Olympics?

Thanks for any response I get!:thank:

You're right that being an Olympian is out of reach but that is the case for most people whether or not they start very young (and depending on gender and where you live). Being a female in the US makes it nearly impossible even if you start as a tiny tot!

HOWEVER. There is an adult track in USFSA figure skating now, meaning you do get to compete, and test, and even go to Adult Nationals. There is a lot of info and it may be confusing but here's a good place to start on the topic: http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=83955

And you can do it to whatever level you can afford time, money and passion-wise.

Adult Nationals has both a qualifying and non-qualifying track, meaning anyone who has passed their test can go compete in the non-qualifying portion. Silver and higher can go to Sectionals and try to qualify for Nationals in the Championship competition.

Welcome back! I'm sort of in a similar boat as you although I am a few years older. Skating is for everyone!

sk8chis

On the Ice
You're right that being an Olympian is out of reach but that is the case for most people whether or not they start very young (and depending on gender and where you live). Being a female in the US makes it nearly impossible even if you start as a tiny tot!

HOWEVER. There is an adult track in USFSA figure skating now, meaning you do get to compete, and test, and even go to Adult Nationals. There is a lot of info and it may be confusing but here's a good place to start on the topic: http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=83955

And you can do it to whatever level you can afford time, money and passion-wise.

Adult Nationals has both a qualifying and non-qualifying track, meaning anyone who has passed their test can go compete in the non-qualifying portion. Silver and higher can go to Sectionals and try to qualify for Nationals in the Championship competition.

Welcome back! I'm sort of in a similar boat as you although I am a few years older. Skating is for everyone!

Hi! Thank you for this!
I feel like I was a little realistic even as a kid lol, even skating seriously back then I never thought I would go to Olympics. The costs, the struggles and difficulties just didn’t seem like something enjoyable. Even though I do love the idea of competing, it’s hard to believe there are other options when Olympics, Worlds, Grand Prixs, etc. is the only competitions glorified.

But thank you for this!
I’m planning on getting a private coach and we’ll go from then. I don’t see myself competing for another year or so anyways but i’m hoping if i train hard enough I can get up to double jumps and *maybe* at least one triple a few years from now. Landing a triple probably isn’t realistic but I plan to keep skating seriously now and I’m also planning to join the skating club at my college so i’m just going to stay optimistic and keep an open mind on it! You never know!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! Thank you for this!
I feel like I was a little realistic even as a kid lol, even skating seriously back then I never thought I would go to Olympics. The costs, the struggles and difficulties just didn’t seem like something enjoyable. Even though I do love the idea of competing, it’s hard to believe there are other options when Olympics, Worlds, Grand Prixs, etc. is the only competitions glorified.

But thank you for this!
I’m planning on getting a private coach and we’ll go from then. I don’t see myself competing for another year or so anyways but i’m hoping if i train hard enough I can get up to double jumps and *maybe* at least one triple a few years from now. Landing a triple probably isn’t realistic but I plan to keep skating seriously now and I’m also planning to join the skating club at my college so i’m just going to stay optimistic and keep an open mind on it! You never know!

Just know that it's going to take you most likely longer than a year to get into doubles, and it's going to be harder to learn jumps as an adult because your body is different. You are also "tall" compared to most female skaters.

Girlbird

On the Ice
Just know that it's going to take you most likely longer than a year to get into doubles, and it's going to be harder to learn jumps as an adult because your body is different. You are also "tall" compared to most female skaters.

she's not a giant though and she's thin. Carolina Kostner is 5'7"

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
she's not a giant though and she's thin. Carolina Kostner is 5'7"

My point was she is older than kostner was when she learned all the jumps. I never said she was a giant but most ladies skaters are small.

Girlbird

On the Ice
My point was she is older than kostner was when she learned all the jumps. I never said she was a giant but most ladies skaters are small.

Yes that's true. But she's not going to be competing with them. She's going to be competing with other adult skaters who come in all shapes and sizes. Yes, the doubles will be harder to learn for sure, but not impossible by any means.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes that's true. But she's not going to be competing with them. She's going to be competing with other adult skaters who come in all shapes and sizes. Yes, the doubles will be harder to learn for sure, but not impossible by any means.

Did I say she would be competing at that level? NO I didn't. But No matter where she's competing: Learning the jumps will be harder at her age.

Also, the OP never stated where she wanted to try to compete and was asking what her options were. I said she would be best in adults in my first post, and if that is where she chooses to go, then fine.

Point still stands that bc she's older it's going to be harder to learn the jumps and get the muscle memory. I never stated impossible.

This is advice from my years as an elite and pro.

YMMV.

sk8chis

On the Ice

Why harder? I’m pretty underweight for my height and I always got my jumps better/faster than my spins. My body really hasn’t changed at all since I was 16. Even the coaches at my rink I knew before I left said I still look 16 (lol, i get this too often)
I’m not sure how to insert a picture but I can upload one with some guidance

Mussique

On the Ice
Don't upload a picture! We trust you, and this is still a online forum —this is your 8th post, you don't know us, etc.
If skating as a kid for 7 years you didn't get past your flip, be patient when setting your goals —triples seem a bit far-fetched for anyone that didn't have them at 17. But overall, hoping doesn't hurt anyone, so just take your lessons and see where it goes.
Good luck!!