Advice for those skaters moving to Canada | Golden Skate

Advice for those skaters moving to Canada

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
New thread created so that people could discuss not only bagged milk but other things a skater moving to Canada might consider.

I hope someone has already bought her a cool container for her bagged milk. Otherwise we Canadian members of GS need to start a collection to get her a super cool one.

https://goo.gl/images/XAJ8FV Cute or Classy https://goo.gl/images/tt5f61 Everything said in french is classier. Known Fact.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope someone has already bought her a cool container for her bagged milk. Otherwise we Canadian members of GS need to start a collection to get her a super cool one.

https://goo.gl/images/XAJ8FV Cute or Classy https://goo.gl/images/tt5f61 Everything said in french is classier. Known Fact.

Well, I now need to take this out of the "Bagged Milk" thread. :biggrin: Jason was already warned against bagged milk when he announced he was going to TCC:

"jason please don’t let the canadians put you on that bagged milk nonsense" :laugh:

https://twitter.com/hanyuzus/status/1001995026497523712

Hopefully someone does the same for Zhenya ;)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Bagged milk? :think:
I really don't get that. Cartons are easier to use(no tools required) and much more recyclable.

I wonder though, how good of an idea is this? She's going to need to go to Japan for a tour in a week. That's going to be such a long period of jet lag... Hopefully she can maintain her rhytm. With the Japanese show, I personally think it might be a better idea to wait until after it to move to Canada but of course, she might not want to delay it for too long.

synteis

Medalist
I really don't get that. Cartons are easier to use(no tools required) and much more recyclable.

But you can get 4L of milk so much easier when it's in bags compared to cartons or like gallon jugs.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I wonder though, how good of an idea is this? She's going to need to go to Japan for a tour in a week. That's going to be such a long period of jet lag... Hopefully she can maintain her rhytm. With the Japanese show, I personally think it might be a better idea to wait until after it to move to Canada but of course, she might not want to delay it for too long.

Which show? I though her next show was Dreams on Ice July 6th-8th, about 3 weeks from now.

ETA: about bagged milk, it's really affordable for a family. A big bag with 4 1L bags in it. Just stick one of the bags in a jug and cut the corner.

Midnightcass

On the Ice

Don't worry, I think a container comes with the welcome package she'll get at the airport, along with maple syrup and a complimentary touque.

TGee

Record Breaker
But you can get 4L of milk so much easier when it's in bags compared to cartons or like gallon jugs.
Perhaps Zhenya, Jason and Boyang (if he does milk) need to step up and experience this unique Canadian cultural icon before it vanishes...

After all didn't 5 of the G7 countries just agree to getting rid of single use plastics...

But I've got to say that at the rate our family vacuums through fluid milk, stacking the 4 litre multibags is the only way there is room in the fridge to get through a few days at a time. Maybe we'll need another fridge sooner than hoped. Or the reinstitution of daily milk delivery.

On the other hand Zhenya will have other challenges such as not being able to find 2 litre jars of mayonnaise in the dairy case. Canadians love real mayo, but no one tops Russians on that front.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
off topic

we had a milk and other beverages fridge when we were growing up... lol

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
lol a person is moving across the globe and people worry about milk and mayo :laugh2: I doubt Zhenya even eats mayo anyways.

And for the record, Russia also used to have bagged dairy product (including milk). My dad still buys sour cream in a bag. So Zhenya might come with her own tiny milk container :yahoo:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Complete OT but I am truly puzzled by the bagged milk concept. Here we buy cartons of milk but they're not refrigerated until they're opened so you can buy as much milk as you want (taking into account expiration date) and just refrigerate an amount of it as needed.

Haleth

On the Ice
Well, if it's just Evgenia and her mom, she could be heretical like my partner and myself and buy half-gallon cartons instead. As an immigrant from the States, I already came predisposed to milk heresy anyway. I recall trying bagged milk for a bit but found it fiddly and we didn't always drink the all the bags before they went off. So: easier to buy the smaller amount once a week.

If it was 10-20 years ago I might suggest she go to Timmy's to learn the hallowed words "Double-Double" and the annual "roll up the rim" ritual, but Timmy's is no longer as good as it was. No, better for her to be told of Kensington Market and the many joys therein, including the boom of Japanese cafés and snack shops there recently. Or to try the indie coffee shops close to wherever she resides. We're a city of diverse neighbourhoods and urban parks, so if she gets to enjoy those, it'll be a nice way to experience the6ix.

eaglehelang

Final Flight

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
I'm not sure professional skaters eat mayonnaise at all, but she's really going to miss buckwheat and rye bread.

Here in Russia, bagged milk is usually cheap local one, which may be more healthy, but not pasteurized well enough to survive a week outside a refrigerator.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I had never heard of bagged milk before and I’m shook. Only 1lt cartons and bottles in italy

synteis

Medalist
Complete OT but I am truly puzzled by the bagged milk concept. Here we buy cartons of milk but they're not refrigerated until they're opened so you can buy as much milk as you want (taking into account expiration date) and just refrigerate an amount of it as needed.

Canada doesn't have ultra-high pasteurized milk like other countries do. Here pasteurized and micro-filtered are the norm not UHT. Only UHT can be left at room temp until it is opened. Canada follows quite protectionist policies with regards to dairy that allows for smaller, less industrial farms and processes to be supported. Personally, having grown up on pasteurized and micro-filtered milk I can't stand the taste of UHT.