Alysa Liu | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu

Elana

On the Ice
Elise's mother Jennifer (I believe it 's her mom) commented on one of Alysa Liu's videos that her father Arthur uploaded on youtube about how fabulous alysa is and that she's the future of US Figure skating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzrboKQ2UK8 someone asked if her daughter was still skating and she hasn't replied. But I agree, she looked promising, great skating skills, she just had that spark and fire and musicality in her. When she performed to Star Wars theme, the one with her arms all wrapped up like a mummy, in the juvenile competition, the group of girls that she competed against in that age group all looked promising as well ,I just cannot remember their names, I was only able to watch it because I actually purchased ICE NETWORK for that one season. There was this little girl with brunette and a boycut hair that looked like tinkerbell, she was so tiny, but so fast on the ice, and another girl named tammy something that was really sassy and just looked so bubbly with big jumps, I think the ones I just mentioned along with Elise podiumed at the juvenile competition that year, I think it was just a couple years ago or less, if anyone remembers or knows whom I'm talking about, awesome. But I wonder what became of them? I thought by now, I would see them in the novice ranks competing with alysa liu now.

edited to add: I found those girls...

from left to right, Juvenile Girls: Tamnhi Huynh, Madison Nguyen, Haley Scott, Elise Freezer http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/images/2017 Nationals/2017 US Nationals JvG Awards JVPF3509.JPG

Elise is still very much skating as far as I am concerned, there was a commercial with a little girl on during the olympics and that was her. Last I heard she has been training with Ravi Walia, but I'm not sure how permanent that was because she seems to move around a lot, but I think she's been in Canada for awhile? Her instagram is @elise.freezersk8er and she posts plenty of skating related stuff! As for the other girls, both Tamnhi and Haley made it to intermediate nationals and will probably compete in novice this coming season and try to qualify for nationals again. I don't know as much about Tamnhi, but Haley is very young and very talented, she is very powerful with great jumps, she just has trouble controlling them and being consistent. Madison won her regionals last season, but then got injured and couldn't finish the season. You can watch her short here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXyR345HM8E&t=118s . Had she made it nationals, she definitely would've been in contention to win, she is a strong skater. She trains with Hanna Harrell and her coaches and was a demonstrator at this years Jump on It Camp. I would expect her to have a big year in novice this season and wouldn't be surprised if she won it all.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… Madison won her regionals last season, but then got injured and couldn't finish the season. You can watch her short here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXyR345HM8E&t=118s . Had she made it nationals, she definitely would've been in contention to win, she is a strong skater. She trains with Hanna Harrell and her coaches and was a demonstrator at this years Jump on It Camp. I would expect her to have a big year in novice this season and wouldn't be surprised if she won it all.

And Madison Nguyen was at USFS High Performance Singles Camp in June. (ISP camp.) As were Alysa and Hanna, of course.

(Madison competed at Skate Dallas as a novice lady within the last couple of months.)

Elise is still very much skating as far as I am concerned, there was a commercial with a little girl on during the olympics and that was her. Last I heard she has been training with Ravi Walia, but I'm not sure how permanent that was because she seems to move around a lot, but I think she's been in Canada for awhile? …

:agree: Yes, my impression is that Elise still is immersed in skating. IIRC, recently arrived in Canada for the latest in a series of extended visits to train with Walia.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Someone asked her on Instagram if she was excited to become the next Mao Asada and she said that she’s not becoming the next Mao, she’s herself. I love this girl!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw Alysa skate last night at the Ice Dreams show at the Westchester Skating Academy. As you can see, she is so tiny compared the other skaters but she's a powerhouse.

She did her short program and landed a 3A but she two footed it and it looked under. Other jumps were clean including a 3/3 in the back half.

Wishing her luck for the upcoming season!

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
And it looks like she could do 3A-2T if she really wanted to :biggrin:
And, wow, FS rules for advanced novice kind of stink -- only 6 jumps, 2 combos, no 3 jump.
how about...
3A-3T
3A
3Lz-3Lo
3F
3Lz
3S

This would require her to get back the 3Lz-3Lo. But I think she's probably already thinking about that.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
The first time I saw Alysa asked who her favorite skaters were she said Sasha and Anna.

At a later time I saw her say Anna.
A couple days ago I twice saw that the emphasis was on Sasha.

Either way, Alysa is a very intelligent girl.

Actually, on her instagram Alysa has said that Yuna Kim is her favorite skater/skating idol. I don't know where you're getting these sources from.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Multiple times in her Instagram story she has said that she prefers Eteri over Brian (when asked) and that her favorite skaters are Eteri’s juniors — usually Sasha or Anna

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Why did this fan thread devolve into an Eteri vs. Brian/Yuna/whatever battle? [emoji58][emoji848]

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Why did this fan thread devolve into an Eteri vs. Brian/Yuna/whatever battle? [emoji58][emoji848]

I mean I was just saying what I read on her insta one time :biggrin: I think there's a difference between liking/being morivated by your peer skaters vs. having a skating idol, and I think people are confusing those concepts here. I'll pull up some instagram links in a bit.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
IIRC, about Yuna, Alysa only said on instagram that her last year's FS costume is inspired by Yuna's Les Mis.
personally, I don't think Yuna fans should fixated too much on what youngsters idolize her or not. Yuna's greatness, her skating and her influence/legacy for future skaters speak for itself. From my personal figure skating event in-person viewing experience in North America, Yuna's influence is indeed really deep.
Skaters can get inspiration from many great skaters (peers or previous great skaters near or generations apart, even cross disciplines).

Back to Alysa, her answer to those tricky questions on Instagram is smart and appropriate for a 12-year old. And she is changing or adjusting her answers as she grows up.

I wish Alysa can have a great future in figure skating, and be remembered as the skater Alysa Liu.:pray::biggrin:

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
If she can maintain her technical ability in the senior ranks, I think she will be the only lady to revive U.S. Figure Skating. And I think she should stay with coach Laura for as long as possible.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Coach Laura is great! I'm loving these "underrated" coaches a lot more than the usual Raf, Tom, etc.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Great for her! She obviously excels most at her FSs, so I hope they start to work on improving the SP score...