2019 4CCs: Ladies' SP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019 4CCs: Ladies' SP

I just don't understand Mariah Bell's interpretation of that song... She does have nice qualities, but I'd place Lim over her overall.

Well, the judges gave Bell 31.55 and Lim 31.56 in PCSs, so I guess they agreed with you. :)

Lin had the advantage with that can't miss music that interprets itself. All she had to do was become one with the the tinkly piano arpeggios in the last part. Float across the ice like the pianist caressing the keys. :love:

Roast Toast

Medalist
Bradie and Kaori were both great and having them basically tied feels right to me.

Agreed. I think Kaori should be leading on PCS but enough to make a sizeable difference for the free? Nah. The cleaner of the two wins tomorrow anyway — if Rika doesn't pull the W out of the bag. The judges clearly want her to...

sx98423

On the Ice
Bradie has a wonderful head on her shoulders. Her priorities are to trust herself, trust her training, skate her best and enjoy herself. :rock:

Mariah is my girl, though. That joy she brings to skating, the emotion, her desire to connect with the audience, it's what I want to see in skating. It was pure joy to see her bring her technical chops to a short program! :rock:

Ting did great. She announced herself as one of the senior ladies to contend. :clap:

I love Eunsoo. She has such grace, while being (as she said in the article) completely focused on bringing her best technique.:cool2:

And Rika ... oh my goodness. To have missed that 3A, popped it, meaning she got zero points for it and was how many points down to begin with ... and then to skate the rest of the program like that? :points: This girl has it all. Beautiful, beautiful skating.

i agree with pretty much all of this.

but rika missing the 3A isn't that big of a deal when everyone else does a 2A which is only worth 3.3 points so she really wasn't down too many points

skatenewbie

Medalist
I just don't understand Mariah Bell's interpretation of that song... She does have nice qualities, but I'd place Lim over her overall.

I'm feeling so tempted to score the top 6 ladies. Not sure how it would look honestly. I believe I'd probably have Eunsoo over Mariah too.

For everyone saying Eunsoo should be over Mariah... SHE IS. But she got -1 time deduction so she got 69.14 instead of 70.14 (Bell score 70.02). She should've been 3rd but made mistake on her own, so the placement is fine imo, Mariah also performed good even though her GP is better imo. Happy to finally her getting clean 3-3, tired many people saying how she was so bad because her not having 3-3. 3-3 is overrated really, in SP its better to have it but in FS you could score high enough even without it.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
For everyone saying Eunsoo should be over Mariah... SHE IS. But she got -1 time deduction so she got 69.14 instead of 70.14 (Bell score 70.02). She should've been 3rd but made mistake on her own, so the placement is fine imo, Mariah also performed good even though her GP is better imo. Happy to finally her getting clean 3-3, tired many people saying how she was so bad because her not having 3-3. 3-3 is overrated really, in SP its better to have it but in FS you could score high enough even without it.

it depends which event you're skating at...

^ Still, it would be better to put one of those 3T's on the triple Lutz and the +2T+2Lo somewhere else. A better balanced program, to me. Plus, you did a triple Lutz - triple toe! :clap: That's worth some extra GOE and PCS.

Anyway, I think Rika Kihira is still in the driver's seat. It will be hard to deny her if she comes through with two triple Axels.

skatenewbie

Medalist
it depends which event you're skating at...
mind you Satoko won her silver medal at worlds and her 4cc gold with no 3-3 in FS. same layout that lzxnl said. maybe that was some years ago but Mariah bell scored 135 with 6 triple FS, not 7 but 6 in 2018 NHK trophy. If she did add 7th triple that could've get 140, and it was a GP event not some national event.

You can still skate a 7 triple program without a 3-3.
3Lz
3Lz+2T+2Lo
3F
3Lo
2A+3T
2A+3T
3S

2 3Lz, 2 3T, fairly standard layout I'd imagine.
yes, or maybe put euler-sal combo if dont want to repeat axel-toe

^ Still, it would be better to put one of those 3T's on the triple Lutz and the +2T+2Lo somewhere else. A better balanced program, to me. Plus, you did a triple Lutz - triple toe! :clap: That's worth some extra GOE and PCS.

Anyway, I think Rika Kihira is still in the driver's seat. It will be hard to deny her if she comes through with two triple Axels.
why would 3-3 boost PCS? Maybe it did in reality but its not rightfully so since TES shouldnt follow PCS....

malya

On the Ice
Some great skates today :)
Bradie is really working on her artistry and Kaori is finally getting the decent scores that she always deserved!
Lilbet looks fine, Eteri packaging really fits her.
Rika is still the favourite to win.

Alaine was so good at CanNats :( Go for it in the FS!!!

I'm disappointed with the tech panel - it's your job to call URs or !... After Europeans I thought they had instructions to look closer and call more?

lizardlass

On the Ice
I like the placements. Bradie's SP is my favorite SP of the season. I love that weird music, and the intensity of her performance. She is giving it EVERYTHING she has, and it works, imo. Kaori was wonderful, and so was Mariah. I think she deserves to be in third place. Ting's performance hasn't hit youtube yet. :(

theharleyquinn

Medalist
mind you Satoko won her silver medal at worlds and her 4cc gold with no 3-3 in FS. same layout that lzxnl said. maybe that was some years ago but Mariah bell scored 135 with 6 triple FS, not 7 but 6 in 2018 NHK trophy. If she did add 7th triple that could've get 140, and it was a GP event not some national event.

yes, or maybe put euler-sal combo if dont want to repeat axel-toe

why would 3-3 boost PCS? Maybe it did in reality but its not rightfully so since TES shouldnt follow PCS....

Satoko's PCS is on another tier than Mariah's. Also 2015 Worlds was pretty chaotic from the short to the free skate in ladies. It's a little misrepresentative to say that Satoko's silver was decided on no 3-3.

tothepointe

On the Ice
Sakamoto should lead, and not by just a fraction of a point.

Lim was better than Bell for me, too.

I'd have 1. Sakamoto; 2. Tennell; 3. Lim

Technically Lim was but she got that time deduction. I think she started moving a little bit to early. They were showing the elasped time on the scoreboard so I guess they were keeping close watch.

Without that -1.00 she'd be slightly ahead of Mariah.

tothepointe

On the Ice
She popped that one right in front of me so I was suprised that she still pulled a 68.

I will say some of the skaters whose programs I love felt a little flat in person. Something that seems sweet and beautiful sort of feels lost in person. I loved Bradie's and Mariah's SP for that reason.

The arena was disgustingly empty though so overall the energy felt drained.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Disappointed at some of the ladies results. I will hold over for the free, but I'm tired of scores being arbitrarily close for no reason. Kaori should be leading. I'm pretty satisfied with her GOEs but the PCS in this event was downright dishonest at times. Shoutout to J9 for giving her a 9.50 in skating skills when everyone else wouldn't go above mid/high-8s. In fact J9 was the only one who seemed to be watching the same event.

Mariah was also underscored. Water is wet. Shame about Eunsoo's time violation. Also looks like every prediction I made about Rika's GPF PCS boost is coming true. She's airtight. It doesn't really matter how she does here. The scoring for the short shows that she should be pretty protected for Worlds still.

LeReveur

On the Ice
Strong competition among the the top six, especially, and a lot of people in the 7-12 bracket skated well too.

Mai's short program troubles (and Rika's, to a lesser extent, though we all know she can still win this in the free if she does what she's capable of) open the door for at least one US lady on the podium. I hope Bradie or Mariah can pull it off.

Rika seems to have been knocked off a bit by the finger injury, which I get, but it's impressive how many points she can accrue even after losing a whole jumping pass. One of the things that really works for her is how the double Axel that basically all her competition is doing is the least valuable jump in the ladies' short program, so even when, as here, she does a waxel, she isn't ceding nearly as many points relative to her competition as she would with a mistake on her combination or solo jump (see Alaine, who did both, sigh).

I thought Veronik should have been a bit ahead of Larkyn, though I grant that Veronik has been away from competition for a while.

Comment after watching from the sixth row: Veronik was slow, slow, slow, slow, slow compared to Larkyn. Nothing Larkyn has done in the past impressed me, but she had transitions, fast spins, attack, more difficult choreography (that she performed well) than Veronik, and them going back to back made it even more obvious that Larkyn had a superior skate. I give Larkyn a lot of credit since it is due. She's much better than I thought.

Of course, skating has plenty of disagreements to go along with the agreements :big grin:.

To round out the three Canadian ladies: Alaine was fairly slow herself, and she really decelerated going into her jumps. I don't know if that's how she always is or if it was nerves, but it was painful to watch.

LeReveur

On the Ice
Disappointed at some of the ladies results. I will hold over for the free, but I'm tired of scores being arbitrarily close for no reason. Kaori should be leading. I'm pretty satisfied with her GOEs but the PCS in this event was downright dishonest at times. Shoutout to J9 for giving her a 9.50 in skating skills when everyone else wouldn't go above mid/high-8s. In fact J9 was the only one who seemed to be watching the same event.

Mariah was also underscored. Water is wet. Shame about Eunsoo's time violation. Also looks like every prediction I made about Rika's GPF PCS boost is coming true. She's airtight. It doesn't really matter how she does here. The scoring for the short shows that she should be pretty protected for Worlds still.

I agree that Kaori should be in the lead. Bradie was great, just not as great. Mariah was underscored, for sure. I was really looking forward to Rika's triple axel right in front of my seat, but it didn't happen. I hadn't seen her live before, but if the rest of the program is her normal performance level, well, it's fine but not amazing. CH/IN? Not very special today. A few of Mai's performances in the last twelve months grabbed, but what she put out today was not near the top five or so ladies in this event. Overall, a pretty fine short program event. Oh: I think I would have given Ting a higher score.

I know that, but I would have placed Lim further ahead, which would have let her eke out a top 3 placement.

why would 3-3 boost PCS?

I don't know why. It just does. I suppose for the same reason that a quad boosts PCSs on the men's side. I think it is because the judges are more impressed when a skater can do the hardest tech without the presentation being adversely affected. It just seems like an overall great performance is scored more highly across the board in every category.

Technically Lim was (scored ahead of Bell) but she got that time deduction. I think she started moving a little bit to early. They were showing the elasped time on the scoreboard so I guess they were keeping close watch.

To me it looked like she bobbed her head a second too soon while holding her opening pose after the music started. Maybe they counted that as the beginning of movement.

Orlov

Medalist
Sakamoto should lead, and not by just a fraction of a point.

Lim was better than Bell for me, too.

I'd have 1. Sakamoto; 2. Tennell; 3. Lim

Kaori has a typical boring Japanese program and unpretentious choreography. First place no doubt for Tennell.