Shoma Uno to change coaches | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno to change coaches

theharleyquinn

Medalist
How long is the camp? I thought for some reason it was three weeks?:confused:

I guess having followed Jason’s odyssey before landing at TCC, it doesn’t seem odd to me. Jason skated a club a week in his tryouts, it seems:biggrin: also, he would train with Frank Carroll for weeks at a time before returning to Kori, and I don’t know how similar their methods were, although they obviously got along.

Shoma isn’t trying out “for” Eteri, as a young Russian skater who hopes to train there would. He’s training there to see if he likes it and how it suits him, so he can make a decision about where he thinks would best help him. He’s the one making the decision about whether he stays, and he needs information about what it’s like to train there to do it.

I would imagine that if Shoma went elsewhere, he would take those parts of anything that he learned and found helpful, and not use what he didn’t find helpful. I trust him to be smart enough to do that on his own.:)

I don't know how helpful it is to use Jason as a benchmark. There is the potential that this move is being encouraged/driven by JSF for one. USFS and JSF, and thus how coaching changes happen, are not always the same. And second, the technical level/needs between the two skaters are different.

Nothing I said implied that Shoma is trying out for Eteri. I would imagine both coaching team and skater are deciding if there is a good match. It's a mutual relationship.

And it's very easy to say that a skater can take good parts of what was learned at a summer camp and leave behind what wasn't useful, but we're also talking about human beings, who tense up at competitions and revert to bad habits, who have coaches who will ask for adjustments that may compromise what was previously learned, who may not be able to have the out-of-body perspective to know what's working while they're still in the thick of the competitive season and managing a lot of new variables in their day to day training after a coaching change. Medvedeva's 2A in competition versus practice is a prime example. In my opinion, it's not about being smart. I think there's a valid consideration about that loss of reinforcement when you're learning new techniques.

moriel

Record Breaker
How long is the camp? I thought for some reason it was three weeks?:confused:

I guess having followed Jason’s odyssey before landing at TCC, it doesn’t seem odd to me. Jason skated a club a week in his tryouts, it seems:biggrin: also, he would train with Frank Carroll for weeks at a time before returning to Kori, and I don’t know how similar their methods were, although they obviously got along.

Shoma isn’t trying out “for” Eteri, as a young Russian skater who hopes to train there would. He’s training there to see if he likes it and how it suits him, so he can make a decision about where he thinks would best help him. He’s the one making the decision about whether he stays, and he needs information about what it’s like to train there to do it.

I would imagine that if Shoma went elsewhere, he would take those parts of anything that he learned and found helpful, and not use what he didn’t find helpful. I trust him to be smart enough to do that on his own.:)

The camp is several weeks long, usually 7-8 weeks.
Last year, it was from june 4th to july 21th.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I think it was pretty evident, that at TCC, Yuzuru will remain #1 priority,
and Rafael will always prioritize Nathan, Tom has Vincent...
And I don't think Shoma wanted to be #2 priority when switching coaches.
So... I wonder...

But NHK press said that Shoma will try several summer camps, not just one, so maybe we're about to learn what are his other options. Hence the programs are only to be done mid-August.

But the fact that the summer camp training announcement was so public, does make it look as if it's more or less finalized.

Tahuu

On the Ice
Shoma will not go to any other camp but Eteri's: Eteri's camp - shows - back to her camp.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The camp is several weeks long, usually 7-8 weeks.
Last year, it was from june 4th to july 21th.

Thank you, for some reason I thought it was shorter.

[whole post]

I am sorry, I did not mean to imply that you said that Shoma was trying out for Eteri. I was just trying to say that the time frame for Shoma may be different than if it were a more "typical" try out where a young Russian skater would be pleased just to be accepted by Eteri.

As far as I know, Shoma indeed trained for weeks each summer with Alex O., and I have no idea how much Alex O.'s technique was different, but of course he was returning home. If he stays the entire six weeks, I would agree that does not leave much time to try out with other coaches.

And this is jumping off, and not directed to any one post quoted here, but one would think that Boyang last summer would have cautioned fans against believing a skater is training somewhere permanently until he or she shows up to train permanently.:biggrin:

But Eteri and David Wilson in the KnC; I'm here for it:)

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Hahaha, Shoma's really doing it in the trolling dept this off season.
1st announce choreographers from North America. Speculations...
2nd summer camp with Eteri. Another round of speculations.

moriel

Record Breaker

he still takes silver for the summer scandal
cant beat Medvegate with this, sorry, Shoma, you got to try harder.

tokoyami

On the Ice
I wanna break down the pros and cons of shoma going to eteri just for fun

Pros:
Transition spam for the skater who actually needs it (and could pull it off)
Possibly higher consistency
train around top athletes who have a (loosely defined) 4Lz & 4f
Will be #1 male

Cons:
Higher possibility of injury?
Shoma is already so self critical so ending up with a highly critical coach who has been described by many as 'icy' may be adding salt to the wound and may not be beneficial in the long term
No common language, an interpreter would be needed
I just can't help but remember that one KnC moment between Voronov and Eteri and how pissed off V looked and sounded. I just dont wanna see that happen to Shooms....

tokoyami

On the Ice
and since im thinking about it ill do one for team Orser as well:

TCC Pros and Cons

Pros:
Around top athletes his gender and age
24/7 access to jump coach
coaches experienced in guiding big name sports stars
possibly better technique after a while
4Lo and 4Sal help with Yuzu's example every day
If he were to get injured there are experienced coaches who can help him come back from that

Cons
Ugly programs (LOL sorry I HAAATE TCC programs)
Ugly costumes
Not a lot of 1on1
In Yuzu's shadow? Not sure about this con but I've heard it thrown around so
Will not be #1 Male there
Higher probability of injury? (since team TCC is not known for injury protection)
There aren't a lot of stable 4Lzes and 4Fs being produced out of TCC as far as I know, aside from Yuzu and Gogo

saphire

On the Ice
My reading of the situation is that he intends to stay there. They haven‘t announced it officially only because there is a trial period for both sides, just in case things do not go well. But at this point this is his primary choice, I believe. Let‘s not forget that there was an article two months ago that a Japanese skater is moving to Eteri. Many people dismissed it, but now we have a Japanese skater leaving his coach and camping in Russia. I doubt that he will spend the summer changing many camps. My guess is that Eteri is his primary choice and he has a backup plan in case things don‘t work out in Russia.

How influential is the Japanese federation in such decisions? Do you think it was his idea, or an idea of his previous coach or was it something the fed recommended? I know that nobody knows, but I am just curious if the fed in Japan is involved in such decisions.

I don't know if I would trust Jack Gallagher has insider information in this case, but then I am biased because my interaction with him has not been pleasant.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if I would trust Jack Gallagher has insider information in this case, but then I am biased because my interaction with him has not been pleasant.

This is my understanding of Jack G. from others (I do not read Japanese and could not judge myself), that he is not the most trustworthy source and goes for the click bait headlines.

Of course, even a broken clock is right twice a day....;)

MMisMis

On the Ice
Country
Russia

Will there be a paragraph 3?
And then - 4, 5, 6...

tokoyami

On the Ice
these are fun; if you have time, you could do Raf or even Tammy/Tom Z.:biggrin:

if you insist <3

although this is where my obvious biases against tom z might come out....

Team Raf:
PROS
Good work done on tech and technique
Programs that are slightly more dynamic than the run-of-the mill DW/TCC collabs
Around top skaters his age and gender
PCS boost possibly?

CONS
Raf is laissez faire
Might get bullied (too late?)
No transitions probably
Nathan & Stephen & their moms taking up precious rink and raf time

Ill do ones for tomz and gammy later since im at work and am about to leave lol!

oatmella

&#38472;&#24013;
Record Breaker
Nathan & Stephen & their moms taking up precious rink and raf time

lol. I think Nathan’s mom is no longer a regular at the rink though, and as of now - he isn’t there all the time.

Wondering if anyone knows if Stephen’s move to Raf has actually been confirmed?

moriel

Record Breaker
I wanna break down the pros and cons of shoma going to eteri just for fun

Pros:
Transition spam for the skater who actually needs it (and could pull it off)
Possibly higher consistency
train around top athletes who have a (loosely defined) 4Lz & 4f
Will be #1 male

Cons:
Higher possibility of injury?
Shoma is already so self critical so ending up with a highly critical coach who has been described by many as 'icy' may be adding salt to the wound and may not be beneficial in the long term
No common language, an interpreter would be needed
I just can't help but remember that one KnC moment between Voronov and Eteri and how pissed off V looked and sounded. I just dont wanna see that happen to Shooms....

On Eteri's iciness: it is debatable (see how she supported Zagitova and Tursynbaeva at Worlds). Overall she looks like a more serious type of person, who will not jump and scream, which doesnt mean the person won't support you and all. Overall, I'd say that its worth reading Polina Shelepen interviews, she talks a lot about Eteri's character and behaviour.

Shoma doesnt speek english appearently, so he would need a translator everywhere, likely. Although english could be easier than Russian to learn.

Btw, now that I stop to think, anyone knows what happened to Yuko Kavaguti after she and Smirnov retired?
Afaik she gave up her japanese citizenship when switched to russia, so chances are she is still around. Team Eteri could bring her in o_O Yep, she is a pair skater, but likely she can teach a lot to singles too, so wouldnt be just a translator or something.

starla16

Medalist
On Eteri's iciness: it is debatable (see how she supported Zagitova and Tursynbaeva at Worlds). Overall she looks like a more serious type of person, who will not jump and scream, which doesnt mean the person won't support you and all. Overall, I'd say that its worth reading Polina Shelepen interviews, she talks a lot about Eteri's character and behaviour.

Japanese are ok with people not always smiling its mostly only an american thing.
In old times it was considered impolite when women smile showing their teeth