Shoma Uno to change coaches | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno to change coaches

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Because Boyang doesn't compete with Yuzu for the #1 Japanese skater position. I think Brian would be crazy to sign up for all the tension that'd create.

What I find puzzling is why people think Shoma needs to work on his jumps. Judges don't care, they give full credit for bad jumps too.
Because starting this season, with the change of rules, Shoma's jumps has called UR is almost every competition. Mainly his 4F and 4S. Every competition.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/gpcan2018/
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/gpjpn2018/
4S called at both GP. Could not execute the 4T combo in the SP at NHK.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/gpjpn2018/
Both 4S & 4F called.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1819/wc2019/index.htm
4S & 4F called again.
Granted Shoma was injured at GPF and not fully recovered during 2019 WC, but he has been having problems with 4S since beginning of the season. His 4F is depends on how lenient the judges are.

Even before that, before 2018 OG, Shoma's jumps has often been said to be pre rotated, under rotated due to his jumping technique.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Evgenia has mentioned Ghislain's name as coaches she work with, maybe during group training. But Evgenia's one on one coaching are with Brian & Tracy only.

While Jason doesnt even get one on one with Brian. Tracy Wilson is Jason's main coach. He gets one on one with Tracy, Lee Barkell, Karen Preston. Jason mentioned TCC has group training where all or most of coaches stand in a group and observe. They will call out to a skater, correct mistakes, make comments, etc.

For Gabby Daleman, her main coach is Lee Barkell. Though with Lee leaving TCC we dunno if Gabby will still be there next season.

So, from this, I conclude that Brian's students will have Ghislain as their jump coach. Ghislain will replace Brian at tournaments when schedules overlap. Other than those already mentioned, there's Cha Jun Hwan.
If it's another coach is the main coach, Brian will go together whenever he can.

I’m not sure it’s true that Jason never has one on one sessions with Brian, although it may have been true when he started. Do you have a recent source for that? Because with Lee Barkell reportedly going to the Granite Club, its likely that things at TCC will shift. And Ghislain isn’t the only jump coach - both Brian and Karen Preston have a lot of expertise in jumping.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
That's the reason I thought a month age in the "Japanese skater switching to Eteri?" thread that he'll go to Eteri's group. Shoma could end up worse trying to learn toe jumps with straight backward takeoff from other coaches. I still believe he'll go to Eteri.

I'd love to see more asian skaters working with that group, it could go really well, despite fans don't seem to be thrilled about that idea reading some of the comments on Twitter.

With those programs though i think it's semi confirmed he'll stay at the Cricket Club which i don't know how i feel considering the rivalry with Hanyu.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I’m not sure it’s true that Jason never has one on one sessions with Brian, although it may have been true when he started. Do you have a recent source for that? Because with Lee Barkell reportedly going to the Granite Club, its likely that things at TCC will shift. And Ghislain isn’t the only jump coach - both Brian and Karen Preston have a lot of expertise in jumping.

I forgot which interview but it's this year, definitely before 2019 WC. There's only 1 interview where Jason was more detailed abt his training situation.
-> Tracy is his head coach, he said he worked with Lee Barkell on technique, Karen Preston also technique. Brian might just spend a few min giving corrections during training, no one on one. Jason specifically said this.

The only video I saw was Jason with Evgenia in group training. Brian was teaching both of them.
Evgenia has said in a recent intv she trains with the Jason, Yuzuru, Jun Hwan 3X a week.

Next season, of course I expect the coaching arrangements to be different with Lee Barkell, Stephen Gogolev leaving TCC(possibly Gabby Daleman too if she follows Lee).

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Soo summer camp with team Tutberidze!

Just saw it on Eteri's instagram page. Wooow. Will be interesting to see which camp he will choose in the end. Could imagine we will see some vids of him during his time at the Tutberidze summer camp, which they are always generous with :D

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Well the try out time has begun, Sambo 70 is already a very strong choice, and i can't wait to see footage of Shoma training at the different rinks and with the coaches. It's a very touch decision but I wish him the best!

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I don't think it's Eteri, that is quite unrealistic.
There're things from her approach, from which he can benefit, but I doubt that's what he's looking for.
He was still winning a lot this season, so I don't think his move is solely motivated by his last season.
He's probably looking for a specific solution for something that's bothering him quite a bit, and I really wonder what it could be.
In any case, good luck Shoma, you'll be fine no matter in which hands you'll end up!

Citing my own comment, I was reading Shoma’s old interviews from this year, where he said his biggest concern was his lack of consistency... so... apparently that was something that was bothering him the most.
so it seems like he made a conscious choice by training in summer with team Tutberidze.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Yay Shoma already knows Alena, Sasha and Alina :)

I just realised we are probably going to see him on various different social media pages each time he changes summer camp :hap85:

moriel

Record Breaker
Good luck to Shoma. Hopefully he likes the team and the style, and choses to stay there.
(also its nice to see that top skaters aknowledge that Eteri is one of the best coaches right now)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma is sooooo quiet, and then he creates the drama:biggrin:

Of course, summer camp is just summer camp, or else Alex Ourashiev would be Shoma's full time coach:laugh: I wonder when we find out about the other tryouts?

Although Eteri and David Wilson in the KnC together would be epic, just like when Raf and Rohene would sit with Mariah:)

theharleyquinn

Medalist
It's just a bit odd to leave your current coaching team, get technical guidance from one coach for the summer, and then potentially join a third coaching team that may have a different philosophy. In the case that he doesn't stay with Eteri after this summer camp/potential test run, I'm really interested in seeing how much of Eteri's technique ends up in his programs throughout the season.

moriel

Record Breaker
It's just a bit odd to leave your current coaching team, get technical guidance from one coach for the summer, and then potentially join a third coaching team that may have a different philosophy. In the case that he doesn't stay with Eteri after this summer camp/potential test run, I'm really interested in seeing how much of Eteri's technique ends up in his programs throughout the season.

I suppose that the fact he is going there means Eteri is seriously considered to be his coach. Because then, it is a sensible decision - he goes to the camp, he sees how Eteri coaches, and if it works for him, Eteri sees him work and if she wants to coach him, and then they decide.
Else its indeed weird - season is coming, and just jumping from camp to camp is a waste of time.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I find it amusing how the buzz was he might be going to Eteri and then he comes out with programs from Canadian choreographers, which shifts the focus to NA coaches, and then suddenly Eteri posts about him going to summer camp at Sambo-70 and the focus is back to thinking she's the one. Shoma's management has a knack for keeping us on our toes, that's for sure.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

How long is the camp? I thought for some reason it was three weeks?:confused:

I guess having followed Jason’s odyssey before landing at TCC, it doesn’t seem odd to me. Jason skated a club a week in his tryouts, it seems:biggrin: also, he would train with Frank Carroll for weeks at a time before returning to Kori, and I don’t know how similar their methods were, although they obviously got along.

Shoma isn’t trying out “for” Eteri, as a young Russian skater who hopes to train there would. He’s training there to see if he likes it and how it suits him, so he can make a decision about where he thinks would best help him. He’s the one making the decision about whether he stays, and he needs information about what it’s like to train there to do it.

I would imagine that if Shoma went elsewhere, he would take those parts of anything that he learned and found helpful, and not use what he didn’t find helpful. I trust him to be smart enough to do that on his own.:)

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
My reading of the situation is that he intends to stay there. They haven‘t announced it officially only because there is a trial period for both sides, just in case things do not go well. But at this point this is his primary choice, I believe. Let‘s not forget that there was an article two months ago that a Japanese skater is moving to Eteri. Many people dismissed it, but now we have a Japanese skater leaving his coach and camping in Russia. I doubt that he will spend the summer changing many camps. My guess is that Eteri is his primary choice and he has a backup plan in case things don‘t work out in Russia.

How influential is the Japanese federation in such decisions? Do you think it was his idea, or an idea of his previous coach or was it something the fed recommended? I know that nobody knows, but I am just curious if the fed in Japan is involved in such decisions.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I would imagine he goes there to have Dudakov tweak on his jumps, and see what can be done