Shoma Uno to change coaches | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno to change coaches

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
If he decides to stay with Eteri Georgievna i wonder whether they will rework the programs to add more transitions.

I really wish i could finish her [Yuna Kim's] 'Greatest Hits' but dear god are her DW programs just so gosh darn boring im so sorry

Can't you at least force yourself through 2010 Bond Girl (the gold-plated Cadillac of "I'm a pretty girl, give me a twirl" ;) ) and 2013 Worlds performance of Lez Mis? :love:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
yeah but you could say that about almost any performance art or sport, it doesn't make what coaches or directors do or their legacies any less important. That moment is defined by your training with your coaches ergo coaches lead you to success (along with your own effort of course)

*edit: rereading your post i honestly think we're on the same page actually lol

Yeah, you could say that about any field - I come from a performing arts background and that was kinda my personal experience and my point. I would never say any coach is unimportant, but my reaction was to two posts which implied that all credit is due - and due only - to coaches, and in this case, specifically to one particular coach.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Yeah ive never found a Wilson program for a woman interesting, this includes Yuna's programs, yes I said it. Not to be that person but I've felt very heavy misogynistic vibes from wilson. His Yuna programs are all 'wink wink, give a twirl, im a pretty girl' and his programs for the JPN ladies are all, 'im such a precious little ingenue im so delicate and sweet' it's like he doesn't understand that women can have different personalities

sidenote: i wonder how easy it is to notice that ive never actually finished a yuna program (aside from send in the clowns and her 2014 Olys FS) i really wish i could finish her 'Greatest Hits' but dear god are her DW programs just so gosh darn boring im so sorry

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Yuna's choreo either but I guess it's got its fans. Javi's programs were fine though, and the SPs for Junhwan Cha are ok although Il Postino was such an unbelievable bore too.

If he decides to stay with Eteri Georgievna i wonder whether they will rework the programs to add more transitions.

He's going to have Wilson and SLB as choreographers. They're going to be challenging enough for Shoma in terms of transitions. The question is whether Shoma is capable of skating their programs without dumbing them down a'la Nathan. I think he is, so I am quite excited to see a new side of him.

ankifeather

Final Flight
yes haha i know a lot of us here love SLB but I just can't stomach her FS programs. The only exceptions are probably SEIMEI, Hope and Legacy, Jun's R&J, and maybe Waka's Skyfall. I just don't like the way she approaches programs and i find it boring. We'll see what DW can do, he comes alive in coming up with exhibition programs but his competitive programs have yet to produce anything exciting since probably javi's guys and dolls. I'm just not too excited for these new programs, I was personally hoping for a benoit richaud/jbuttle/even an averbukh or daniil program before SLB and DW. BUT i like SLB's short programs and maybe shoma will skate to something modern again so thatll be cool!

But that is like a good chunk of her FS work already? and three of the four you listed are from TCC.

tokoyami

On the Ice
But that is like a good chunk of her FS work already? and three of the four you listed are from TCC.

a good chunk? it's literally 4 programs lol

i guess maybe i should clarify, those SLB programs are the only ones that I find enjoyment in, but I would still rank other programs by other choreographers higher than these programs choreographically-wise at least (not including SEIMEI).

Her programs are all constructed very similarly? Maybe it's just me but when you look at Kaori S's FS this year she was doing things every beat, every change of the music she was there reflecting it and the program felt more dynamic because there was just more going on at every part of the program. With SLB programs it's sort of 'skate skate make an arm gesture skate skate transition into jump skate arm gesture' instead of the skating and arm gesturing happening at the same time? I really hope this makes sense and Im sorry for derailing the thread :p

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
It's a completely different view of choreography. Some people want choreography that "breathes" and isn't "crammed with pointless transitions." Some people want to see something "every second" and not "empty."

I, personally, am somewhere in the middle. I want to see "Sotnikova" or "Cohen," not "Kwan" or "Medvedeva." Take that however you wish. I get that there are different viewpoints on choreography. Different tastes. And regardless, there is a big difference in how the best performers handle either style relative to how weaker performers handle it. And there are performers who excel at one and not the other.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’m not sure why you would give Eteri credit for Evgenia’s 2019 World medal.

That’s why I said arguably. When two current students and one former student lock out the podium I see that as an indicator of a coaches talent. The student’s own talent goes without question obviously.

People don’t have to like her methods but the titles speak for themselves.

I don’t really see Eteri as a good fit for Uno but that only my uninformed opinion. I don’t think it’s surprising he’s considering her when you see her success.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That’s why I said arguably. When two current students and one former student lock out the podium I see that as an indicator of a coaches talent. The student’s own talent goes without question obviously.

People don’t have to like her methods but the titles speak for themselves.

I don’t really see Eteri as a good fit for Uno but that only my uninformed opinion. I don’t think it’s surprising he’s considering her when you see her success.

I’m sorry, but I disagree and no it doesn’t.

Because when one former student and one current student of Brian’s take second and third in the Ladies, not to mention that a current student, the two time Olympic gold medalist, takes silver in this year’s men’s Worlds, how can you not say that speaks for itself? (I don’t *agree* with this statement, I am just making it for argument’s sake).
I don’t see how one pick and choose which “former student” and which “current student” to “represent” a coach.

And as I said earlier, to say that one coach is better than another coach just doesn’t make sense, IMHO. Eteri is not better than Brian. Brian is not better than Eteri. Raf is not better than either of them and neither of them are better than Raf. Presumably all of them fit better with some skaters, and don’t fit with other skaters.

And Shoma is looking to see if he fits with Eteri. Like you, I don’t see that one so much, but Shoma’s is the only opinion that counts. :)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Now I have reached (almost) the conclusion that "rumors" on this forum are unlikely to be totally made up, and they turn out to be true half of the time. A month or two ago news came out Japanese skaters may switch to Russian coaches, some posters immediately mentioned Shoma to Eteri. It cannot be simply a random guess based on what is happening now.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now I have reached (almost) the conclusion that "rumors" on this forum are unlikely to be totally made up, and they turn out to be true half of the time. A month or two ago news came out Japanese skaters may switch to Russian coaches, some posters immediately mentioned Shoma to Eteri. It cannot be simply a random guess based on what is happening now.

To quote from another thread in this forum, when it comes to Jack Gallagher, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while:biggrin:

To quote from another thread in this forum, when it comes to Jack Gallagher, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. :biggrin:

No, no, it's a done deal. Where there's smoke there's fire. Shoma and Eteri. I knew it weeks ago. :yes:

rosy14

Final Flight
Eteri is powerful, powerful versus her federation, powerful versus judges. Much more powerful than the Japanese Fed.
Honestly I don’t see which other input, improvements, new technical stuff can she offer to Shoma.
Her results with male skaters till now are not so impressive, not to convince a silver Olimpic medalist, winner of the last 4CC, even if injured, to go to her, except for the reasons I stated in the first sentence.

sx98423

On the Ice
Eteri is powerful, powerful versus her federation, powerful versus judges. Much more powerful than the Japanese Fed.
Honestly I don’t see which other input, improvements, new technical stuff can she offer to Shoma.
Her results with male skaters till now are not so impressive, not to convince a silver Olimpic medalist, winner of the last 4CC, even if injured, to go to her, except for the reasons I stated in the first sentence.

he probs wants to be more consistent which she can probably help with. i don't think it's got much to do with power, it's just that her style is in right now and it's what judges like to see

readernick

Medalist

True, she is a power broker. At least Shoma is not using Danny G choreo. (people think if you hate his choreo it means you hate his Eteri but I really just hate his choreo). I think Sergei Dudakova is a good technical coach and Eteri is a good manager. They won't fix the technical flaws but with a hugely committed student like Uno they might encourage consistency. Shoma is already known for training through injury so he will fit right in with that school. ( which makes me sad because I wish he would go to a coach that would make him rest when injured) . I am looking forward to seeing Shoma work with Shae-Lynn. He is a natural dancer. I think their program together will be great!