2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 124 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Not to comment on age requirements, but it is no way in hell true that all elite sports are bad for your health, at least in the same way or anywhere close to each other. THAT is naive. Are elite football, swimming, hockey, badminton, basketball, diving, or zillions of other sports as bad? Not even thinking about young vs old, but whichever way you cut it, figure skating puts unique pressures on an athlete's body. Look at how many skaters comment on how even 100/200g can completely change the ability to jump, that would be crazy if they even said 1/2kg but no this is 100/200 grams!! ...affecting both adults and teens. That type of relationship between weight and performance alone is absolutely unheard of. This is not even mentioning the effect on joints from the force of the landings which increase incredibly for each extra revolution, as well as the psychological effect. They make a lot of massive sacrifices for us to perform how they do and give us what we want, the least we can do is respect it.

To do sport activities is healthy of course. But to be an elite athlete who are aming to be best in the world in todays human society in any possible sport existing is not healthy, nor for the body nor for the psyche. One hour less training per day or training just triples wont make you more healthy in general, by being an elite athlete you are already hurting your body/soul in so many ways. But yot are recieving rewards for that, so its a personal decision to be involved or not. And many other human activities are not healthy but people are doing them anyways, so....

silveruskate

On the Ice
To do sport activities is healthy of course. But to be an elite athlete who are aming to be best in the world in todays human society in any possible sport existing is not healthy, nor for the body nor for the psyche. One hour less training per day or training just triples wont make you more healthy in general, by being an elite athlete you are already hurting your body/soul in so many ways. But yot are recieving rewards for that, so its a personal decision to be involved or not.

Sorry but it is ludicrous to say that and make an equivalence for all sports and I'm sure you know this. I've given many reasons why figure skating is unique even if I was to agree that no elite sport is healthy.

I'm keen to know which data has been looked at that suggests elite sport is bad for your health, I have not seen anything. All studies I have seen show that on average Olympic athletes live longer than the general population, so I'm not sure why this claim is being treated like fact. Endurance sports especially seem to be very good for you.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is either naive or false. Why talking about quad? Triple are not harmful? Are twos helpful? I can break myself something just by wearing skates and going out on the ice. Where is this border? Following your logic, a child must be up to 18 years old in a cocoon of security, so that when he becomes an adult enough, he must decide for himself whether to wear skates or not. This is absurd.

We may disagree if training a quad is harmful.

But starting from the hypothesis that it is harmful, then of course we would limit it. What is wrong with that? We limit all sorts of harmful exposures to children.

I logged in just to say that THIS IS NOT OK TO RAISE A TEENAGER! This is how you train an animal, kids are not stupid, you can talk and explain things to them, they have emotions but also intellect. Not all teenagers have cars, it's mostly a north american thing. In this day and age taking a phone from a teenager is more harmful to the parents, they lose contact with him/her. And congrats! With threats like "I will withdraw you from whatever rink" you will make her/him hate you and he/she would not be able or confident to talk to you.

It must be a cultural thing but in some places of the world people deal with teenagers differently than threats with punishments. And yes you can set limits for them, but in other ways.

I’m sorry, but I really don’t understand where this anger is coming from? Maybe because I did not quote the original post?

Of course one talks to a teen, explains logic and reasoning to a teen, and above all loves a teen.

We were talking about a situation where a teen *refuses* direction, where a teen continues to engage in what adults have explained is harmful behavior.

At that point, when the teen exhibits defiance, actions have consequences.

If I tell my son to play hockey with his helmet on, and he plays hockey without a helmet, I explain it again. And again. And if he continues to play hockey without a helmet, then I withdraw him from the rink.

ETA: and if the other examples of consequences are US centric in your opinion, then just substitute examples that are not. The examples aren’t the issue, actions have consequences are.

Congrats! I have done that which is safest for my child and that is my highest and best duty as part of my love for my child.

I can’t imagine a culture where it isn’t :scratch2:

Last edited:

silveruskate

On the Ice
Taking away a phone is now treating a teenager like an animal. :laugh: Every school gives detention, every work place has consequences for misbehaviour, every sport has penalties, every crime has punishment....and now people are agreeing the best way to raise children is to shield them from what they will face in all places of life in the future?

I'm sure many of Eteri's students may 'hate' her when they are children or scared of her, but now they understand it was for the best. But parents should not do this? :confused:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Should we expect Alina because she has won every important title as a junior and senior to be better this season than last season because the pressure is off? Or is the pressure still massive on her tiny shoulders because she became a GOAT at 16?

I am hoping Alina skates free and easy this year loving all the battles she has during the season. I am expecting big things from her this season. To still be the leader of the pack and not just the Russian pack!

karina17

Final Flight
The mods must be really tired of us. Next thing we know there will be separate threads on "Parenting: How Teenagers Should Be Raised" and "Healthiest to Least Healthy Elite Sports Ranked". :laugh:

Georgya

On the Ice
Not to comment on age requirements, but it is no way in hell true that all elite sports are bad for your health, at least in the same way or anywhere close to each other. THAT is naive. Are elite football, swimming, hockey, badminton, basketball, diving, or zillions of other sports as bad? Not even thinking about young vs old, but whichever way you cut it, figure skating puts unique pressures on an athlete's body. Look at how many skaters comment on how even 100/200g can completely change the ability to jump, that would be crazy if they even said 1/2kg but no this is 100/200 grams!! ...affecting both adults and teens. That type of relationship between weight and performance alone is absolutely unheard of. This is not even mentioning the effect on joints from the force of the landings which increase incredibly for each extra revolution, as well as the psychological effect. They make a lot of massive sacrifices for us to perform how they do and give us what we want, the least we can do is respect it.

You base your affirmations more on perception than statistics or reality I think. I don't know what other sports you actually follow but basketball, football or hockey simply put cause more injuries than figure skating, elite or high school. According to “The Most Dangerous Sports in America” by Bjorn Carey on Livescience.com, basketball, with more than 500,000 injuries per year, causes the most sports injuries, followed closely by bicycling and football.

Which sports cause the most injuries to high school athletes: Here is the list, along with the average number of injuries each year between 2002-14. Source

20. Bowling: An average of 764 injuries each year.

19. Rugby: 1,214.

18. Field hockey: 1,825.

17. Tennis: 1,915.

16. Skiing: 4,752.

15. Ice skating: 4,999.

14. Horseback riding: 5,581.

13. Lacrosse: 5,830.

12. Track and field: 8,194.

11. Weight lifting: 8,921.

10. Snowboarding: 9,608.

9. Ice hockey: 12,336.

8. Volleyball: 14,304.

7. Softball: 18,119.

6. Wrestling/boxing/martial arts: 18,174.

5. Gymnastics/cheerleading/dance: 22,671.

4. Baseball: 27,208.

3. Soccer: 45,475.

2. Football: 118,886.

1. Basketball: 119,589.

In elite it's the same, only the number varies. Contact sports such as football can be expected to result in a higher number of injuries than a noncontact sport such as swimming. However, all types of sports have a potential for injury, whether from the trauma of contact with other players or from overuse or misuse of a body part.

I follow all kind of sports, because of my job, and I find contact sports or sports involving large teams more dangerous like boxing, mma, judo, football, rugby, etc.

Georgya

On the Ice
We may disagree if training a quad is harmful.

But starting from the hypothesis that it is harmful, then of course we would limit it. What is wrong with that? We limit all sorts of harmful exposures to children.

I’m sorry, but I really don’t understand where this anger is coming from? Maybe because I did not quote the original post?

Of course one talks to a teen, explains logic and reasoning to a teen, and above all loves a teen.

We were talking about a situation where a teen *refuses* direction, where a teen continues to engage in what adults have explained is harmful behavior.

At that point, when the teen exhibits defiance, actions have consequences.

If I tell my son to play hockey with his helmet on, and he plays hockey without a helmet, I explain it again. And again. And if he continues to play hockey without a helmet, then I withdraw him from the rink.

ETA: and if the other examples of consequences are US centric in your opinion, then just substitute examples that are not. The examples aren’t the issue, actions have consequences are.

Congrats! I have done that which is safest for my child and that is my highest and best duty as part of my love for my child.

I can’t imagine a culture where it isn’t :scratch2:

I apologize if I sounded too harsh but you argument is emotional and flawed, also a bit US centric like you said :) Is one thing to explain to a child/teenager that he needs to wear a helmet or silicone pants to avoid injury and a different thing to hold down a passionate, highly competitive kid, driven to be the first or unique.

Fluture

Record Breaker
The mods must be really tired of us. Next thing we know there will be separate threads on "Parenting: How Teenagers Should Be Raised" and "Healthiest to Least Healthy Elite Sports Ranked". :laugh:

I wouldn‘t surprised about this actually happening at all. What to say, it‘s the off-season, we are all bored. :laugh:

Anyway, a lot of the Russian ladies that will compete in seniors next season have announced their program choices already, haven‘t they? (Masha, Stasya, Zhenya, Alena) So, in the next month we‘ll be waiting for Alina‘s and Liza‘s announcements as well as Sasha‘s SP and Anna‘s FS?

Also, in juniors... Do we have any news on little Alena Kanysheva? I‘m excited to see what she can do under Eteri. Will Kamila keep her SP? It was probably one of the best I‘ve seen in the last few years.

(Note: Not sure about Sasha and Anna whether their Game of Thrones and The Perfume choices are for SP or FS)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Serafima’s Instagram story features how close she is getting to landing a quad sal. Yo...get it girl!!!! :rock:

Georgya

On the Ice
Did Evgenia Medvedeva attempted a 4S at FOI? Also I saw on Twitter that Alina did 6 2A in row. Is there video confirmation for any of these? :)

Happy Skates

Final Flight
I wouldn‘t surprised about this actually happening at all. What to say, it‘s the off-season, we are all bored. :laugh:

Anyway, a lot of the Russian ladies that will compete in seniors next season have announced their program choices already, haven‘t they? (Masha, Stasya, Zhenya, Alena) So, in the next month we‘ll be waiting for Alina‘s and Liza‘s announcements as well as Sasha‘s SP and Anna‘s FS?

Also, in juniors... Do we have any news on little Alena Kanysheva? I‘m excited to see what she can do under Eteri. Will Kamila keep her SP? It was probably one of the best I‘ve seen in the last few years.

(Note: Not sure about Sasha and Anna whether their Game of Thrones and The Perfume choices are for SP or FS)

Alena Kanysheva said on Instagram that she has already chosen her music but will not release it yet. So I wonder when they are planning on doing that, I am so interested in what direction they go with her, she has so much potential but I'm not sure what "style" they are going to choose. By the way, happy birthday to her! As for Kamila, someone said that it was confirmed on VK that she would keep her sp, but I have no confirmation on this - I wouldn't be surprised though because she hasn't competed it internationally and Eteri (and so many others) loved it so much, and apparently their having little Daniil keep his sp too. I too am also dying to hear Sasha and Anna's other music choice, hopefully with them all being in Novogorsk we will hear soon! I hope Anna's fs can be something light and airy like she is good at, and I hope we can see Sasha's smile in the the sp since it was missing from her programs last season and she's already doing something dramatic for the free.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Did Evgenia Medvedeva attempted a 4S at FOI? Also I saw on Twitter that Alina did 6 2A in row. Is there video confirmation for any of these? :)

Reports say so. Filming is forbidden at FAOI. Unless the Japanese TV crews filmed it, we won't be able to see it on video.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Should we expect Alina because she has won every important title as a junior and senior to be better this season than last season because the pressure is off? Or is the pressure still massive on her tiny shoulders because she became a GOAT at 16?

I am hoping Alina skates free and easy this year loving all the battles she has during the season. I am expecting big things from her this season. To still be the leader of the pack and not just the Russian pack!

I think results may be worse, it doesn't even depend entirely on her: Eteri's newcomers have more difficult programs, PCS will help her but ultimately at the big competitions like Worlds or maybe even GPF already judges will have to reward the better skaters.

We haven't seen her 4F yet (only attempts with the fish rod i believe), she may has it ready in time for next season but still Trusova already has 2-3 quads and she is working on 3A.

Given the state of things, in my opinion she/they should invest on choreography, make some truly memorable programs to remind judges why you are the Olympic Champion. Daniil said no more warhorses next season, which is good but i hope that doesn't mean something completely over the top.

I'd personally pick a classical piece for the free skate, but not overused, maybe from Mussorgsky, Scriabin,... great russian composers we don't hear all that often in FS.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
You base your affirmations more on perception than statistics or reality I think. I don't know what other sports you actually follow but basketball, football or hockey simply put cause more injuries than figure skating, elite or high school. According to “The Most Dangerous Sports in America” by Bjorn Carey on Livescience.com, basketball, with more than 500,000 injuries per year, causes the most sports injuries, followed closely by bicycling and football.

THANK YOU! I was about to respond to that poster but you said what I was thinking.

Nord Stream 2

Match Penalty

да, Камила подтвердила, что она будет исполнять старый SP. I happened to be in Novogorsk a week ago. Not all girls are 100 percent fine (I only watched one hour). By the way, Kanysheva is fine. All tanned and rested beauties in a very good mood. I think that within a couple of weeks all of these fans are in for a surprise. I don't know why they don't post the video. There's a lot to see. You must like it.

Georgya

On the Ice
да, Камила подтвердила, что она будет исполнять старый SP. I happened to be in Novogorsk a week ago. Not all girls are 100 percent fine (I only watched one hour). By the way, Kanysheva is fine. All tanned and rested beauties in a very good mood. I think that within a couple of weeks all of these fans are in for a surprise. I don't know why they don't post the video. There's a lot to see. You must like it.

Oh, no, I'm sad because I really wanted to see Kamila's SP another season, it was one of those programs that moved me beyond words! By " Not all girls are 100 percent fine" I assume you mean that they are not in top form which is ok at this point :)

Edit post: I read it all wrong, Valieva will keep the old SP for the next season. Yay!

Fluture

Record Breaker

The only Russian words I understood were Da and Kamila. Google translates confirms what I thought. Kamila will keep the SP. That‘s great. :)

But what do you mean, not all girls are fine? Who isn‘t? Did you see Alena Kostornaya? I‘m a bit worried about her because she was injured and had tapes on her feet on the last pictures... She‘s my favourite from Eteri’s team, so I‘m having my fingers crossed for her.

So, Kanysheva has some unusual programs, I assume? And we will be surprised? That‘s sounds exciting. Hoping they post a video soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, no, I'm sad because I really wanted to see Kamila's SP another season, it was one of those programs that moved me beyond words! By " Not all girls are 100 percent fine" I assume you mean that they are not in top form which is ok at this point :)

Did google translate fail me? I thought it said Kamila would keep her SP... :scratch2: