Papadakis & Cizeron's Very Candid Interview re Olympics 2018 | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Papadakis & Cizeron's Very Candid Interview re Olympics 2018

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

maya1985

On the Ice
Their mistakes in the OD had nothing to do with the costume. They messed up the twizzles early before the costume problem, and he messed up on the double twizzle late on the diagonal sequenc which also had nothing to do with her cosutme.

you should check your memories:sarcasm: (or they made the twizzles before the start of their SD:rolleye:)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Their mistakes in the OD had nothing to do with the costume. They messed up the twizzles early before the costume problem, and he messed up on the double twizzle late on the diagonal sequenc which also had nothing to do with her cosutme.

I think the errors were due to the fact that the dress had already start to come undone. As much as they are professionals, given the gravitas of the Olympics and the weirdness of having an incident like that at the worst time, it must be incredibly difficult to focus. As the interview mentions, they were clearly thinking about it over the course of the performance and he was distracted with trying to ensure she wasn't exposed.

rockmypark

Match Penalty
I think the errors were due to the fact that the dress had already start to come undone. As much as they are professionals, given the gravitas of the Olympics and the weirdness of having an incident like that at the worst time, it must be incredibly difficult to focus. As the interview mentions, they were clearly thinking about it over the course of the performance and he was distracted with trying to ensure she wasn't exposed.

OK that makes sense. Still V&M did beat P&C in 4 of their 5 meetings since the return. They seemed to have the slight edge in the rivalry. Most of that was based on the original dance too, as P&C won the free dance in 3 or 4 of the 5 meetings, but V&M in 4 of 5 had a considerable lead in the original dance, usually bigger than the Olympics, in the original dance. During the 2015-2018 the original dance was regularly P&C's weakness, they even were 3rd in it at the Europeans once, behind the Shibutanis a couple times after their first World title in it, 4th at one of the worlds they won. It never hurt them, except against Virtue & Moir.

Eleanor

On the Ice
I am talking about the overall quad. The original dance was a relative weakness in general for Papadakis & Cizeron over the entire quad. They came from behind often even when not competing with Virtue & Moir to win. The Grand Prix final of 2018 and winning the original dance over Virtue & Moir was an unusually solid performance in that phase for them in that quad, not their norm in that phase.

And P/C had very goold results in the SD with the Ed Sheeran program. The results at GPF did not come out of the blue. They made huge progress and had two excellent programs at the Olympics.
We may never agree about who would have won with two perfect performances but I think we can agree on something: only Gabby know how much the dress issue bothered her. We can only speculate. Maybe someone can help but I heard she felt the top falling during the twizzles and she had to find a way to not ompletely lose it. That could be the reason why they had issue on that element. I don't know if you already had a problem with your top, but it really is not comfortable :noshake:^^

rockmypark

Match Penalty
And P/C had very goold results in the SD with the Ed Sheeran program. The results at GPF did not come out of the blue. They made huge progress and had two excellent programs at the Olympics.
We may never agree about who would have won with two perfect performances but I think we can agree on something: only Gabby know how much the dress issue bothered her. We can only speculate. Maybe someone can help but I heard she felt the top falling during the twizzles and she had to find a way to not ompletely lose it. That could be the reason why they had issue on that element. I don't know if you already had a problem with your top, but it really is not comfortable :noshake:^^

Yes they did improve in the original dance overall for the 2017-2018 season, I agree with that. My point is just in general that is where they were most vurnerable in their careers since reaching the top, although less overall in 2017-2018 than before, and of course now finally now not at all. Still it is worth noting all the same.

Even Brenda Irving on CBC who knows nothing about skating knew enough to say before their original dance at the Games "but the original dance historically their weaker portion of the competition, crucical for them to atleast stay close enough with V&M". And Carole Lane, one of the most respected dance experts in the world went along with that.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
This thread is under maintenance, but still open, at least for now..

Please do not bicker.

Please do not insult each other.

Please do not bash the character of either P&C or V&M.

Please do not rehash Davis & White, 2010 and 2014, which are not pertinent to this thread, and are a hijack.

Please obey the guidelines.

Last edited by a moderator:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And in the male equivalent of hot pants!

:rofl:

Wouldn't you love to see some of our guys - with those legs and muscled thighs - in Aussie Rules style outfits for maybe the team events? :hap57:

(even with the inevitable goosebumps)

Eleanor

On the Ice
Yes they did improve in the original dance overall for the 2017-2018 season, I agree with that. My point is just in general that is where they were most vurnerable in their careers since reaching the top, although less overall in 2017-2018 than before, and of course now finally now not at all. Still it is worth noting all the same.

Even Brenda Irving on CBC who knows nothing about skating knew enough to say before their original dance at the Games "but the original dance historically their weaker portion of the competition, crucical for them to atleast stay close enough with V&M". And Carole Lane, one of the most respected dance experts in the world went along with that.
Repost since my original message was taken down....

I would not take everything Carol Lane for granted. She was clearly biased against P/C the whole time they competed against V/M. Often, she made her personal opinions facts...And sadly, trolls are using her commentary to bash P/C online with nothing to back up their statement.

I personally find that he BBC, in many sports have excellent commentators, always being very positive about athletes, supporting their own but not taking down the competition.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Repost since my original message was taken down....

I would not take everything Carol Lane for granted.

So, are you claiming that Carol Lane was wrong? That P/C's original/rhythm/short dance is not generally weaker than their long/free dance?

Can you give us any evidence of that?

I looked at their Wikipedia page, and if I'm reading correctly, the last time they placed better in the SD than in the FD was 2103 Junior Worlds. Prior to that the results were mixed, and they were about equally likely to do better in either segment.

The fact that you don't like someone isn't proof that everything they say is false.

Eleanor

On the Ice
So, are you claiming that Carol Lane was wrong? That P/C's original/rhythm/short dance is not generally weaker than their long/free dance?

Can you give us any evidence of that?

I looked at their Wikipedia page, and if I'm reading correctly, the last time they placed better in the SD than in the FD was 2103 Junior Worlds. Prior to that the results were mixed, and they were about equally likely to do better in either segment.

The fact that you don't like someone isn't proof that everything they say is false.

Nope I did not say she was wrong. But she is not entirely honest in this case. While she is correct that P/C had issues with the SD that kept them behind, they made progress and scored well with the Ed Sheeran program. It's a much more relevant piece of information to share with the audience since it's the program P/C skated at the olympics (if you are actually interested in the competition..). It's easy to say that at some point in their career they had a weakness (which I guess if something all athlete have in common) but that info was relatively useless since it has not been the case the season leading the Olympics (indeed the FD always scored better, like V/M scored better in the SD, yet it doesnt mean that the other segment was a weakness).
I just find her biased and not really willing to share facts if they are in favor of P/C (as in saying that it would be closer at the olympics that it had been in the past because of P/C's improvement in the SD).
As for not liking her, I don't like bias commentators in general. The fact that an athlete doesn't share your nationality or the nationality of whoever writes your paycheck doesn't mean they don't deserve your respect. The way she explained that P/C's interpretation of the MS program is easier than V/M interpretation of MR is one exemple of how she turned her opinion into a fact completely ignoring the hard work engaged by P/C in their story telling. She doesn't have to like the program, she has every right to point out what she finds lacking or too much. I just find a bit too much that she makes it the truth. And it's not surprising to read what Carol Lane said on TV on twitter to bash P/C..

kresslia

Medalist
As a V/M fan, it's wonderful to read such an honest take from P/C. It's very human, and much more realistic than the generic "I'm just going out there to have fun, skate for myself" takes we get all the time. It can't be easy for them to revisit 2018 in such vivid detail, so I'm grateful they shared this with us.

Jules99b

Rinkside
I'm definitely more a fan of V/M but I do believe P/C are talented skaters that just haven't had a program I like yet. With that said, this interview wasn't anything to get too worked up over. Their honesty should be admired, especially in a sport where everyone usually lies about their satisfaction with their performance or the result. I still think they were overscored in their SD at the Olympics but the past is the past. I hope they can come out with a program this year that's different than their previous years so that I can enjoy them a little more.

timdalton

Match Penalty
Carol Lane is knowledgable on dance but she is also extremely biased. When her own teams compete like Gilles & Poirier and some of her junior teams her commentary is a joke. And she is super biased to teams otherwise she likes such as Virtue & Moir, Shibutanis, Chock & Bates and Weaver & Poje, and against teams she does not like such as Hubbell & Donohue, Bobrova & Soloviev, and Papadakis & Cizeron.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Carol Lane is knowledgable on dance but she is also extremely biased. When her own teams compete like Gilles & Poirier and some of her junior teams her commentary is a joke. And she is super biased to teams otherwise she likes such as Virtue & Moir, Shibutanis, Chock & Bates and Weaver & Poje, and against teams she does not like such as Hubbell & Donohue, Bobrova & Soloviev, and Papadakis & Cizeron.

Most commentators are biased. Networks don't tend to have a favorable view of a commentator who isn't gungho about his or her national participants.

And without a favorable view a network isn't liable to hire said commentator back.

I mean, let's be honest here.

:laugh:

timdalton

Match Penalty
Most commentators are biased. Networks don't tend to have a favorable view of a commentator who isn't gungho about his or her national participants.

And without a favorable view a network isn't liable to hire said commentator back.

True. I guess Tracy Wilson is sort of objective but she even has her biases and agenda. Especialy her noticeable hate on for G&P when they competed, and I was not even a fan of theirs. Rumour has it she is bitter they beat both her childhood idols Torvill & Dean and her close personal friend Maya Usova (she was a bridesmaid in Maya's 2nd wedding) & Zhulin for the 94 Olympic Gold. Denying U&Z by a mere tenth of a point, around the same period her affair with Zhulin broke up their marriage. She never forgave Pasha for that.

Eleanor

On the Ice

A bias or soft spot for a couple doesn't stop you from being objective and professional. Listen to Mitch Fenner (AG). He was british, rooted for Tweddle and always had positive comments to make about all the gymnasts competing. He also did not try to hide the mistakes she made and acknowledge that while she had a chance to win, there were girls who could beat her.
It's one thing to express your opinion, it's another to influence your audience to think like you. I just wished commentators would be more wary of what they say and try to treat all the athletes the same way and with the same respect. I think it'll only show us, fans, the way to also be more respectful. It's just too easy, today, to just repeat the nastiness we hear and read constantly :(

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^ I've repaired something in a (usually favorite) piece of clothing using hand stitching and/or machine stitching. One thing I've noticed is that each repair weakens the material around it, making it tear very close to or spot on the original repair. Eventually I have to admit "it's gone" and hopefully I can re-order an exact replacement!

I'm not saying Papadakis and Cizeron were sabotaged by their own team. I'm not willing to assume or to go that far.

But the weakening of the fabric is something I've been thinking about, amongst all the talk that this problem existed earlier in the season. To an experienced seamstress/seamster, I think it should have occurred to someone that they were weakening that exact, critical spot on the costume.

Freddie

Rinkside
Well, I’m glad I got my reply in before that happens. ;) I actually wrote it last night, but I used a word that isn’t allowed on the forums (the U-word); so I had to wait for the admins to let me know what I posted that was a no-no..

The what now? I have been mentally reviewing every word I can think of that starts with U and can't come up with a single one that seems objectionable. Now I am dying of curiosity and can't even ask anyone to tell me what word it is because then their post will be blocked! :scratch2::scratch2::scratch2:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The what now? I have been mentally reviewing every word I can think of that starts with U and can't come up with a single one that seems objectionable. Now I am dying of curiosity and can't even ask anyone to tell me what word it is because then their post will be blocked! :scratch2::scratch2::scratch2:

You can find a list of all censored words here:

http://bit.ly/2YtOBdV

Last edited: