2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating | Page 111 | Golden Skate

2019-20 U.S. Ladies Figure Skating

Ykai

On the Ice
Imagine the amount of facepalms the federation will have to endure if Emily goes to 2022 Beijing and does something major. Hypothetical talk only, but it would be quite entertaining.

Also, my high school intends to host a festival celebrating Asian American success... and the board decided to pick important Asian American figures to showcase and Alysa Liu was picked alongside people like Sandra Oh. Imagine my shock at the amount of people who recognized her.

Interesting, I suspect some of the board members watch figure skating, but then why didn't they pick Nathan, haha.

natsulian

Final Flight
Interesting, I suspect some of the board members watch figure skating, but then why didn't they pick Nathan, haha.

For males, they did pick Nathan. For females, they finalized it to like two or three athletes and had Sunisa Lee, Alysa Liu, and someone else.

temadd

Final Flight
What frustrates me about the conversation concerning Gracie is people have always been nasty about her skating. From the moment she won nationals everyone was criticizing her and picking apart why she’ll never be good enough to win. Everytime she won people acted like she didn’t deserve it and everytime she lost people picked her apart as unable to go all the way.

She has said she used to look up her name on twitter and online and that is horrific given how nasty people always were when it was about her. She had supporters but very loud, very rude detractors and it seems people are still all running to give their negative 2 cents on why she can’t.

We’ve been around this block before and no one has learned anything. I really hope she doesn’t go online like she did in the past cause the comments haven’t gotten better after what she’s been through.

And with how nasty people are towards Alysa I am starting to feel that skating fans are one of the most toxic groups online. These are young girls working very hard to succeed at an extremely difficult sport, stop being so negative towards them.

People seem to forget that skaters are real people with feelings and insecurities. It's easy to criticize when you think of them as some far away figure. Before we criticize, we should imagine ourselves saying it directly to the skater in person. People would be a lot kinder and more sympathetic.

temadd

Final Flight
Why? This is exactly what this forum is for.

For my part, I completely don't understand the mentality of some people in this forum of "gold star for trying" in adult world. Gracie is not doing well by any stretch of imagination and I don't get why we should be saying she's doing fine. I'm afraid she's setting herself up for a major disappointment because looking at her, a real comeback, as in getting on the GP circuit i, out of the question.

Gracie is smart enough to know that she is not going get a GP assignment this season. We shouldn't be assuming that we know what Gracie's expectations are.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Gracie is smart enough to know that she is not going get a GP assignment this season. We shouldn't be assuming that we know what Gracie's expectations are.

Exactly....This is the beginning of a long road for Gracie. I imagine it's been a very humbling experience for her. She's barely landing jumps she used to do in her sleep. There's a lot of talent in the top US ladies right now and I think Gracie has been very realistic with her expectations. Skating in these small events when she used to have a bye shows me that she's serious about her comeback and I applaud her effort. She's already been a Champion and Olympian and could retire with honor. I respect her for chasing her dream.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Exactly....This is the beginning of a long road for Gracie. I imagine it's been a very humbling experience for her. She's barely landing jumps she used to do in her sleep. There's a lot of talent in the top US ladies right now and I think Gracie has been very realistic with her expectations. Skating in these small events when she used to have a bye shows me that she's serious about her comeback and I applaud her effort. She's already been a Champion and Olympian and could retire with honor. I respect her for chasing her dream.

Me too.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Written by a college sophomore. Just 'words of wisdom?' from another armchair observer.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
For males, they did pick Nathan. For females, they finalized it to like two or three athletes and had Sunisa Lee, Alysa Liu, and someone else.

??? Sunisa Lee is a top US gymnast who just competed at Worlds for Team USA. Were you thinking of someone else?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… Also, my high school intends to host a festival celebrating Asian American success... and the board decided to pick important Asian American figures to showcase and Alysa Liu was picked alongside people like Sandra Oh. Imagine my shock at the amount of people who recognized her.

??? Sunisa Lee is a top US gymnast who just competed at Worlds for Team USA. Were you thinking of someone else?

Tavi, the topic of the festival is "Asian-American success." Sunisa Lee is a worthy example.

(So happens that Alysa and Nathan are worthy examples too. But figure skating was not a prerequisite for consideration, from what natsulian has said.)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Worse. It's presumptuous at best and slanderous at worst. I hope no one reads it.

Unfortunately I read it - it was in my FB feed a few days ago. Agreed that she was making a lot of assumptions and probably watches TSL. Dave basically said that that the coaching team at her rink is exploiting Gracie's name to make money, perhaps she was alluding to that. Sometimes things Dave says turns out to be true and sometimes it's a bunch of BS.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
Worse. It's presumptuous at best and slanderous at worst. I hope no one reads it.

The person who wrote that is just parroting what Dave Lease said in his TSL video about Gracie's performance at Regionals.

Shameless Lease has been pushing that sexist narrative about Gracie for some time--that she's too naive/fragile/ignorant to recognize when someone is "using" her for their own nefarious purposes.

And Lease continues to push it despite the fact that Gracie is a 24 year old experienced veteran figure skater who has made a point of stating in recent interviews that she is not emotionally fragile and that she has carefully considered her coaching situation.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Because they’re different things. Psychiatrists dispense medication. Psychologist can’t dispense meds, but can do therapy in a clinical setting, can do intelligence testing, could teach, etc. Psychiatrists are in very short supply.

Psychology is also valuable when looking for a job in a whole range of related professions (I work at a university that offers psych, and it's massively competitive and hard to get into at higher levels, so good for her!!!)

frida80

Record Breaker
What trash. And writer is a journalism student at the University of Southern California? Makes you wonder if she got in on her own merits, or if she photoshoped her face onto the row crew team

Lol. Thanks to Lori and Felicity, that’s will be the common insult for students that have lacking abilities.

But, really that article is pure crap for someone how aspires to be a journalist.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What trash. And writer is a journalism student at the University of Southern California? Makes you wonder if she got in on her own merits, or if she photoshoped her face onto the row crew team

Ugh..I knew better than to read it..but I did hoping there would be a place to leave a comment. But no.