Jason Brown | Page 724 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

noskates

Record Breaker
As much as I like and appreciate Kevin's skating, I don't think he is at the polished level of Jason's skating. Jason's movements are quite a bit more mature IMO. But I agree with Johnny Weir, Kevin is the best French male skater to come on the scene in a very long time. Always liked watching Brian Joubert but he was more aggressive and athletic whereas Kevin is smooth and skates "quietly!" I expect he's just going to get better and better.

And, El just told me Jason was in Burnsville, MN yesterday. Holey, moley - that's about 10 miles from me. As I said to her, I could have had him over for dinner. Bwahahaha. I wonder what he was doing in Burnsville viewing a competition.

yude

Record Breaker
Hi all! I just wanted to say I really hope Jason will be on the podium at NHK :hap10: Go Jason :yay:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Statistically speaking, his chance for making the GPF is higher than ever at this point. And surely he and his team know it all too well. The biggest hurdle by far for him is not to get that into his head too much. He absolutely needs to block that out of his mind, and concentrate on racking up GOEs. - and looking at the competition there, as he is aiming for the silver, would be wiser to leave off any quad attempt IMO.
IF he manages to achieve that. I would say he is in!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I am really hoping Jason does well at NHK. I have to admit, though, that being me - and given Jason’s history at NHK - I do worry a bit for him.

The good news is that he really looked pretty fantastic at SA, especially given his very limited training time - great programs, more speed, deeper edges, bigger jumps, etc. His rapport with Tracy and Brian seems great, and his concentration and focus in the FS especially was really good.

What I really hope is that at NHK he can bring that same concentration and focus to both programs. And I think he can do it, if - as @MGStyle put it - he stays out of his own head.

In thinking about his past issues skating in Japan, it occurred to me that you can’t really count the time he had to withdraw from NHK due to his back or the disaster related to the undiagnosed stress fracture. So that really only leaves 2017 NHK, when Yuzuru unexpectedly withdrew, and Worlds last year, where he was unexpectedly second after the SP. In both those cases, he was suddenly, unexpectedly, a front runner, and I don’t think he was prepared for it - anymore that he was prepared to be skating last in the final group at the Olympics as a first year senior.

If his team has prepared him for that, I think he will be fine at NHK. I guess there are other things that could get in his head - wanting to medal with a really high score and make the GPF, for example. But I’m hoping his team has prepared him to handle those things, too. Fingers crossed!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am so superstitious :drama:

Wasn’t one of the NHK disappointments when Jason was in somewhat the same position: the unexpected silver at Skate Canada (where front runners did not do as well as expected) and there he is with a chance at GPF, and then:palmf: that may even have been the year he snuck in, but before then, I believe, the talk was that he was a lock.

If TCC can overcome the NHK curse, I salute them :pray:

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Wasn’t one of the NHK disappointments when Jason was in somewhat the same position: the unexpected silver at Skate Canada (where front runners did not do as well as expected) and there he is with a chance at GPF, and then:palmf: that may even have been the year he snuck in, but before then, I believe, the talk was that he was a lock.

You and me both re the superstition! :drama::drama:

So in 2016 he did really well at SA (silver with high score) and everyone thought he was a shoo-in for the GPF. If I recall, he only needed to place 4th or above to make the GPF. That was the year of the stress fracture, and he ended up placing 7th and missing out. Then the whole saga of competing injured at Nats, everyone getting mad bc he was selected for the World Team, then his great performances at Worlds in Helsinki.

In 2017 (pre Olympic year) he took silver in Canada behind Shoma after Patrick Chan had a really tough competition. That was the year Adam was doing great and a whole bunch of top men (Javi, Yuzu, Patrick) withdrew from their second GP. Jason went to NHK and everyone predicted silver and then Yuzu withdrew and everyone said Jason would take gold. He didn’t even medal - Voronov won, Adam took silver, and both of them got into GPF. Jason placed 4th and was first alternate to GPF but got in after Boyang had to withdraw.

The thing is, I think in 2016 a lot of people initially thought he just couldn’t handle the pressure and that’s why he imploded at NHK - but it turned out he had the stress fracture in his landing foot.

So I really do distinguish between what happened in those two years. In 2016 his confidence was pretty high, remember? He had been working with Frank, had just landed the 4T< at SA and made the ice monitor cry. He was so shocked and disappointed by his showing at NHK that year that I don’t think he expected to do badly or fall apart. I think he was ready to go to the GPF.

Whereas in 2017 he had completely lost his confidence, they kept changing his program layout, taking the quad out, etc. It was really an accident he got into the GPF that year, and if you recall, he didn’t do too well, and shortly after he had the pre Olympic meltdown at Nats.

So I’m hoping he’s back close to his 2016 level of confidence. Even if he doesn’t make the GPF, I think just skating really well at his second GP will keep him moving forward. And that’s what’s really important.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You and me both re the superstition! :drama::drama:

So in 2016 he did really well at SA (silver with high score) and everyone thought he was a shoo-in for the GPF. If I recall, he only needed to place 4th or above to make the GPF. That was the year of the stress fracture, and he ended up placing 7th and missing out. Then the whole saga of competing injured at Nats, everyone getting mad bc he was selected for the World Team, then his great performances at Worlds in Helsinki.

In 2017 (pre Olympic year) he took silver in Canada behind Shoma after Patrick Chan had a really tough competition. That was the year Adam was doing great and a whole bunch of top men (Javi, Yuzu, Patrick) withdrew from their second GP. Jason went to NHK and everyone predicted silver and then Yuzu withdrew and everyone said Jason would take gold. He didn’t even medal - Voronov won, Adam took silver, and both of them got into GPF. Jason placed 4th and was first alternate to GPF but got in after Boyang had to withdraw.

The thing is, I think in 2016 a lot of people initially thought he just couldn’t handle the pressure and that’s why he imploded at NHK - but it turned out he had the stress fracture in his landing foot.

So I really do distinguish between what happened in those two years. In 2016 his confidence was pretty high, remember? He had been working with Frank, had just landed the 4T< at SA and made the ice monitor cry. He was so shocked and disappointed by his showing at NHK that year that I don’t think he expected to do badly or fall apart. I think he was ready to go to the GPF.

Whereas in 2017 he had completely lost his confidence, they kept changing his program layout, taking the quad out, etc. It was really an accident he got into the GPF that year, and if you recall, he didn’t do too well, and shortly after he had the pre Olympic meltdown at Nats.

So I’m hoping he’s back close to his 2016 level of confidence. Even if he doesn’t make the GPF, I think just skating really well at his second GP will keep him moving forward. And that’s what’s really important.

All those things happened as you described. And when I heard that Nationals next year would be in San Jose, I nearly had a meltdown because of the trauma of 2018 in that same venue. But because of that EVERYTHING changed for Jason and I expect NHK to be different this year. He is with a team who has handled multiple elite skaters to high level triumphs and some big disappointments. His team has competed in Olympics and high level competitions themselves. They truly do understand how all of this works, and most importantly, they now understand how Jason works. So whether he medals or not at NHK, and I feel that he does have a chance to do so if he skates clean and well, I don't expect an implosion as long as he is free of concussion symptoms or any injuries. His programs at SKAM showed a confidence he hasn't had since 2016, and his technique is vastly improved. But while I am sure that Jason would like to earn a spot at GPF and will skate his best to reach that competition, his goal is top 3 at Nationals and World's Team for this year. So not sure that making the GPF will create major pressure this year. He's in it for the long game and his team is in it with him. I think and hope that he will stay focused on that. Making GPF would be a bonus. Now I, on the other hand, will be a nervous wreck the entire competition!

noskates

Record Breaker
I prefer to think of San Jose in terms of the first time I saw Jason and his first senior Nationals. (2012?) We had heard rumblings about him and were definitely not disappointed. But I agree with Bookseller....this is a different Jason in so many ways than the 2018 Jason. I only wish he had gone to Brian a few years earlier than he did. Alas and alack....

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Arguably, what’s really important is how different he is from 2019 Worlds FS Jason, and what he and his team learned from that experience. He could conceivably have placed top 5 there. He placed fourteenth in the FS. Hopefully they know what went wrong and have a plan to deal with it going forward. I think having programs he really connects with this year is a good first step. I also thought that his strong comeback at SA showed not just his own increased confidence but this team’s ability to help him handle less than ideal situations. So overall, I’m hopeful NHK will go well.

noskates

Record Breaker
Tavi, have I told you lately how much I enjoy your kitty picture? I should post a picture of Benjamin one of these days.

I think last year was a transitional year for Jason. He was learning a whole new process with new coaches with new expectations and they were all getting to know him! Didn't he say somewhere that it would take 2 years? David Wilson will never curse him with S&G again, that's for sure. I just hope he can keep the momentum going and skate clean.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

They overcame Yuzu's Skate Canada curse, maybe this is the year for other curses to go as well...

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I only wish he had gone to Brian a few years earlier than he did. Alas and alack....

We all did! At the end of 2016/17, it was very evident that a coaching change was needed. And that he needed to train in a more competitive environment. Brian and Tracy's group ticked off all the boxes. That he is still relevant is testimony to his talent and his coaching team. He has confidence in them and he has confidence in himself.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I always wondered if he was planning to switch to Frank and was convinced to stay with Kori.

One thing Kori seemed to be really good at was the psychological piece, at least until that last year before the Olympics.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
By the last Oly year, the team wasn’t working, but Kori and Rohene did well for Jason for many years. And the Annus Horribilus was also due to new programs, insisting on quads, etc. With the Piano and no quad, who knows what the result at Nats would have been?

But it worked out. Adam Rippon now has a voice for work outside skating, as much as it pains me to say as it came as Jason’s expense. If Jason had gone a second time to the Olys, he may never have left Kori. And he might not be skating competitively now.:eeking:

Still burning incense for NHK juju:pray:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I just felt like there was far too much gatekeeping by the Olympic season. Like Kori kept changing the layout last minute based on the warm-up. She also was not sold on the Hamilton idea and while Jason wanted it as a FS, he had to settle for it as a SP. And it was obvious that he did not love the FS and trying to convince himself to like it (though I personally adored it, especially the step sequence). I think you could sense Jason's frustration that he had little say in what he was doing most times.

As I mentioned up thread, he's really focused now. I think the fact he's coming in with two programs he pretty much signed off on himself, the overall quality improvement from TCC and just the confidence from SKAM medal will all make a difference in NHK.

But yeah I'm still gonna burn some candles. :laugh:

Last edited:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I always wondered if he was planning to switch to Frank and was convinced to stay with Kori.

One thing Kori seemed to be really good at was the psychological piece, at least until that last year before the Olympics.

Frank was planning to retire, so Jason would not have been with him for very long. So that probably wasn't a realistic consideration. Also, I don't think Frank had developed any quad skaters? Jason needed a coach with better tech experience. Frank did improve his technique, but it wasn't enough ultimately.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
By the last Oly year, the team wasn’t working, but Kori and Rohene did well for Jason for many years. And the Annus Horribilus was also due to new programs, insisting on quads, etc. With the Piano and no quad, who knows what the result at Nats would have been?

But it worked out. Adam Rippon now has a voice for work outside skating, as much as it pains me to say as it came as Jason’s expense. If Jason had gone a second time to the Olys, he may never have left Kori. And he might not be skating competitively now.:eeking:

Still burning incense for NHK juju:pray:

Agreed on all points. Jason said at the time that he had been thinking about a coaching change for a while, but didn't want to rock the boat right before the Olympics. He was very angry and frustrated that he wasn't landing quads and that was probably informing his desire for a change. Nationals 2018 just cemented his resolve to move on. And thankfully he ended up in the right and best place. So as painful as that whole experience was for Jason and his many fans, it led to a very positive outcome. And Adam had an experience that changed his life. I'm glad that he had that opportunity. And that now Jason has opportunities of a different sort and he is making the most of them.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Frank was planning to retire, so Jason would not have been with him for very long. So that probably wasn't a realistic consideration. Also, I don't think Frank had developed any quad skaters? Jason needed a coach with better tech experience. Frank did improve his technique, but it wasn't enough ultimately.

Well, it doesn’t really matter because it didn’t happen. But I think Frank might have stayed through the Olympic year for Jason and I think Jason might have retired if he made the 2018 team. I think that Frank could have got him to do quads. D10 had them. Jason was pretty close before his injury (even if the technique isn’t exactly what Brian teaches). Frank liked working with Jason. And I think Jason improved a lot during the time he was working closely with Frank - not just his jumps, but his line and the precision and beauty of his movement. As far as quads, I think the issue was that Kori teaches Lussi jump technique, with delayed rotation, which makes it more difficult to rotate quads. Frank couldn’t fundamentally change that as long as Jason was still with Kori. Anyway, as it turned out, Jason took a different path - and I’m extremely grateful that he’s still out there competing, improving, and giving us gorgeous programs.

noskates

Record Breaker
Kori just about raised Jason from a baby. At some point you lose your objectivity. He was literally a member of her family, driving her daughter to school, etc. I think Jason needed a taskmaster rather than another "mother" to move him forward. Curiously I wonder what Raf would have done with him. Just curious. But the current coaching team is just what Jason needed, obviously.