2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 840 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Fluture

Record Breaker
Plushenko definitely needed to be called out, what he does really can‘t be called coaching. And I don‘t agree with TAT‘s words on Alina either. But that post by Team Tutberidze you‘re all praising right now?

That‘s nothing more than an attempt at damage control. I know this won‘t be a popular opinion but they‘ve had the chance to protect Alina before when TAT said WAY worse things (anyone remember that episode on the TV show? Because I do) but they stayed silent then. So, why now? Because people, even in Russia, have started to ask questions. They‘ve started to ask questions about Eteri and her sort of coaching and whether there is a pattern after all. This is a very, very smart post by Eteri and it shows once again what I‘ve always thought: This is a clever, sharp self-made woman who’s learned how to play the game very well. She‘s certainly not the main point of criticism of Alina‘s pause now. Well played.

I have no idea who‘s more influential in Russia, all I know is that RusNats won‘t be pretty. Honestly, I‘m not fond of this drama and I think it‘s kind of a low blow by Team Tutberidze to do this now. Alright, call out Plushenko and TAT all you want, I don‘t particularly like either of them. But to do it before a very important competition for their team? The 3A are children and whether we want it or not, they will somehow be influenced by this whole drama, there‘s no way you can stay completely out of it. I know I‘ll be alone with this but I find it totally irresponsible. Couldn‘t that “war“ have waited until they were sure all three of their girls were safely on the World and Euros team? Of course, they are still more likely than not to be the Russian team in the end. But they really don’t need any additional stress before RusNats, imo.

Does prove that there‘s no drama like Russian Figure Skating Drama, however. Exactly what we all needed (or not).

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
This man's ego is disgusting. :disagree:

What are these 'contacts' really worth? AFAIK, Plyushchenko's Angels isn't represented in MosKomSport nor in FFKKR and only only sees sporadically a young skater from PA competing in some open championships in/around Moscow, since PA isn't affiliated to either MosKomSport, Army Sports Club or any of the other columns in Russian sports having their season of closed competitions? It is a private enterprise, offering children (mostly from the wealthy) a nice skating experience, summer camps on the Black Sea etc, not necessarily a competitive career or education or development, which the official sports schools for children and youths like Sambo-70 and all the SDYuSShOR type of institutions do.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
Can we stop talking like Medvedeva leaving Team Tutberidze had anything to do with whatever Eteri's coaching style works for adult women? Come on, if instead of Alina, Eteri coached Alina's Mother to 2018 OGM, Medvedeva would still leave her team. and btw how old was Med when she won Olympic Silver?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Has it occurred to you that the timing and composition of the parties might have exactly this in mind? Create discord, seed doubts, influence the results of Nationals and by consequence what comes after that?

TAT, Plyushchenko, Mishin et al are old school, defending their interests. They cannot defeat Tutberidze's Terrific Trio by results, so they took it out on Zagitova and by extension the whole of #TeamTutberidzeForProgress?

Sambo-70 still has Medvyedeva in their ranks, which makes 4 active and strong skaters from MosKomSport who will rally together when attacked. MosKomSport has great interest in the results of all of them, and made clear they give full support and loyalty to all its (including previous) pupils and won't let them be (ab)used as pawns in power games.

So there could be a still hidden battle of affiliations raging behind the screens, which probably comes down to the allocation of government money and resources, does it seem like CSKA is on the losing side?

It is sad the careers of children and youths are used as tools and weapons to attack and destroy the other.

ruga

Final Flight
But I find it funny that drama in Russian FS is mainly caused by grown adults while skaters themselves that are younger and less experienced are mostly classy and positive. I don't remember seeing an actual skater say something very negative on their fellow or foreign athletes, while former skaters (usually not the ones retired recently) and coaches say a lot of controversial stuff.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Plushenko definitely needed to be called out, what he does really can‘t be called coaching. And I don‘t agree with TAT‘s words on Alina either. But that post by Team Tutberidze you‘re all praising right now?

That‘s nothing more than an attempt at damage control. I know this won‘t be a popular opinion but they‘ve had the chance to protect Alina before when TAT said WAY worse things (anyone remember that episode on the TV show? Because I do) but they stayed silent then. So, why now? Because people, even in Russia, have started to ask questions. They‘ve started to ask questions about Eteri and her sort of coaching and whether there is a pattern after all. This is a very, very smart post by Eteri and it shows once again what I‘ve always thought: This is a clever, sharp self-made woman who’s learned how to play the game very well. She‘s certainly not the main point of criticism of Alina‘s pause now. Well played.

I have no idea who‘s more influential in Russia, all I know is that RusNats won‘t be pretty. Honestly, I‘m not fond of this drama and I think it‘s kind of a low blow by Team Tutberidze to do this now. Alright, call out Plushenko and TAT all you want, I don‘t particularly like either of them. But to do it before a very important competition for their team? The 3A are children and whether we want it or not, they will somehow be influenced by this whole drama, there‘s no way you can stay completely out of it. I know I‘ll be alone with this but I find it irresponsible. Couldn‘t that “war“ have waited until they were sure all three of their girls were safely on the World and Euros team? Of course, they are still more likely than not to be the Russian team in the end. But they really don’t need any additional stress before RusNats, imo.

Does prove that there‘s no drama like Russian Figure Skating Drama, however. Exactly what we all needed (or not).

The reactions on Teamtutberidze's statement are nothing new in quality. They don't hear anything what they didn't hear before from persons like TAT and co., maybe now it is just more open. But you can't imagine that they are obliged to only passively accept it and never respond. They always tried to be loyal, it was this team who rised the popularity of the sport in Russia, it was this team that brought more medals for Russia than all the other teams combined, and what did they received for that? TAT's nasty comments. You can bear it for some time, but then it has to be repulsed.

As for "system of coaching". What are you even talking about? This is not the situation when someone has to cease competitions because of inability to skate, losing jumps and all. Alina is not in a state where she wouldn't be able to execute jumps, wher she would be injured or anything like that. See her practices and shows. So it is not like "Eteri is unable to coach 17 y.o.", that's complete nonsense.

zounger

Medalist
TAT don't make Alina angry there are 10 days until Russian nationals you will make her return. We don't mind but you will lose your happiness, I want to see you happy, like when Alina finished her FS in Turin.

KOBOT37

Match Penalty
Eteri and Plushenko were on collision course since Tarakanova affair.

Why now? Well, first of all I don't remember anybody (of note) so openly suggesting Zagitova to change coaches and Blaming Eteri beofre and secondly, this is the first time when Team Tutberidze will be unable to answer with results in competition (at least, for year or half) also, something is probably really going behind the scenes which we aren't aware off.On top of these, now Eteri has 3A and probably feels more protected+ newly found Friendship with Navka.

P.S Eteri defended Alina before, remember that 'SMS' ?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Plushenko (or to speak correctly his wife who wrote this) earns a „You tried“ award. Lol :)
He’s really trying to tell Eteri that she poaches everyone „competitive ready“ with triples, and mentions Alina, Anna, Kamila, Aliona and Sasha there?
Ehem, Sasha came with triples and upgraded to 4 types of quads and a 3A. Aliona went from 16th place at JrNats, to 3rd at senior in a year +3A this year.
Alina came with doubles and only a 3S, skated the most competitive program to win Olympics.
Anna also only had double, Kamila had no quad.
So yeah... they all were ready-to-go Olympic champions, Eteri just poached them all, lol.
(And not to say, all these skaters were there asking to be accepted into her group)

Plushenko defending TAT, I bet 20 years ago no one saw this coming :D

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
In all commotion forgot to mention Viktoriya Safonova won BLR national championships and will likely be sent to Euros and Worlds.

She is cleared to compete for her new federation?

BLR native born Milana Romashova (14) fell two times in her FP, unable to overtake Safonova, but is BLR's representative in YOG and Junior Worlds most likely.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Plushenko earns a „You tried“ award. Lol :)

Remember, #TeamTutberidzeForProgress and its skaters were long regarded as rejects and misfits, inferior to the godly talented and well connected, born figure skating stars, that only real and proper trainers work with ...

I am sure their success achieved by hard work, discipline and total dedication to figure skating has rubbed many the wrong way, resting on their merits for too long. The female singles discipline in Russian figure skating is dominated by Khrustalniy in all ranks and hopefully reasonably safe from undermining machinations, it is their men that are vulnerable. Daniil Samsonov's chances and future can be seriously compromised by dirty games and foul politics.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Do we really know what goes on behind closed doors with the USFSA though?
I mean, they have made some selections considered "controversial" too. Like in 2014.
but the American equivalent of Tatiana tarasova is not out there trashing top skaters in their country.

That could be said of many things. They do happen in America as well, but there are now systems in place so, once these issues are made public, it has become more difficult to sweep them under the rug.

I’ve read a translated article about Tarasova’s statement, not the statement itself. The article did not really seem bad at all, rather realistic, so I don’t know what triggered this statement from the coaching team. (No offense to her fans, but I don’t see Alina coming back to competition either. Good for her if she does.) I do agree with what they had to say to Plushenko, but a bit surprised they decided not to take the high road.
can you imagine and a former American coach who is a commentator trashing the new ladies or men's Olympic champion the way TAT did to Alina? That would never happen here.

I'm not even a fan of Anna's and I find the campaigns against her skating both ludicrous and tedious.

Poor girl has done nothing but skate really well and delivered each time (with quads!!!) but she's constantly cited as the one to bomb and be dropped off the team. Really??????

I don't even follow her especially but it's come up so many times now it's hard not to notice!

The grand preseason should count for something important and to say Anna was a lot better than Liza in the Grand Prix season would be an understatement. if Liza somehow finishes in third place at Nationals she still should not go to Euros because you shouldn't make the rest of the season meaningless.

4A are such class acts they never have a miss step. The same cannot be said of Liza.

I wonder what's going to happen to Sofia and Stanislava at Nationals. Will they bounce back or will there seasons continue to crumble?

pearly

Record Breaker

Not sure I'd say it was well played. The fact they reacted shows their comments are getting to them/hitting where it hurts.

Also, I have to say - the tone of all of these translations is so pompous. I wish someone completely fluent/native in both Russian and English could translate them properly.

pearly

Record Breaker
can you imagine and a former American coach who is a commentator trashing the new ladies or men's Olympic champion the way TAT did to Alina? That would never happen here.

I do not speak Russian and do not find translations very reliable, unfortunately. It has to do with cultural differences I'm sure, but most FS related translations from Russian sound so overly pompous that I'm sure same thoughts and sentiments would be expressed differently in other languages. Nothing unusual about that, but it makes it difficult to get a realistic idea of what the person is saying. For example, FS Gossips sometimes posts interviews with interesting people and interesting topics, but I cannot take their translations seriously.

US fans get their share of high profile commentators (Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir) saying ridiculous things too. But I wasn't really referring to comments as much as I was to other things that have started surfacing in figure skating in the past several years (abuse, grooming, etc). No federation wants to deal with these issues publicly or transparently, but some will be forced to more than others.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Not sure I'd say it was well played. The fact they reacted shows their comments are getting to them/hitting where it hurts.

Also, I have to say - the tone of all of these translations is so pompous. I wish someone completely fluent/native in both Russian and English could translate them properly.

... the final straw that broke the camel's back ... really concern's TAT negativity over the years, that was sort of coming her way. Plyushchenko spoke out himself all of a sudden, but like another poster suggested, there might have been something simmering ever since Volkov and Tarakanova switched rinks.

In my mind, the current unpleasantries are indications of a battle that is only just breaking the surface and will perhaps escalate further since there is so much at stake, new ice surfaces, 10's of millions in government money to be allocated each year, influence, prestige, Olympic berths.

Being pompous in choice of words and phrases doesn't make the message less harmful or meaningful. A tarted up veiled insult is still an insult.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
The grand preseason should count for something important and to say Anna was a lot better than Liza in the Grand Prix season would be an understatement. if Liza somehow finishes in third place at Nationals she still should not go to Euros because you shouldn't make the rest of the season meaningless.

4A are such class acts they never have a miss step. The same cannot be said of Liza.

Idk I’m pretty sure that’s what Liza though last season when she was left off the team.

Personally I like the idea that some fed’s do where they take the best score internationally and add it to the nationals score which is weighted (so times 1.5 or 2) and whichever is higher wins.

That way nationals doesn’t become meaningless.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Yuna Kim announces a break, South Korea supports her and thanks her for winning an olympic gold for their country. Kaetlyn Osmond announces a break, Canadian skating champions, past and present, come out to support and give highlights in her career. Mao Asada and Carolina Kostner are backed by federations who love and support them, give encouragement during their lows and applaud them for their fight and comebacks. Adelina Sotnikova wins olympic gold then takes a break, and Russian skating higher-ups applaud and support her.

Alina Zagitova wins olympic gold - the only individual gold for Russia in the entire olympics, and the most influential person in Russian figure skating, TAT, comments in the live broadcast that the judges have it wrong and Alina doesn't deserve it. TAT goes on national television to tell Alina's father that she loves another skater more. Alina has a meltdown at worlds, TAT tells the world "see, we can't depend on her". Alina has a difficult season and struggles, TAT comments that she doesn't have fire in her eyes and doesn't skate well. Alina wins worlds, post olympics and post puberty which to my knowledge no other Russian lady has done, and TAT says a few nice things. Alina decides to take a break, and TAT says she didn't do much in her career like she isn't the most decorated Russian lady figure skater bringing the olympic and world titles to the country. She also says Alina won't return because I'm sure she knows more than Alina herself, though she seems to have no idea about Adelina who hasn't skated in many seasons. Add in some other "famous skaters" telling the media that Alina is just a money making pond.

And still people are all like "WhY iS aLiNa So StReSsEd AlL tHe TiMe".

Remember, Alina is probably one of the least controversial skaters. She's never said anything bad about any other skater, coach, choreographer, or official. She's never even pointed out her displeasure with scoring and calls like many others have done. She doesn't give any attitude when scores come up. Even when asked, she's never said anything offensive about anyone.

This would never fly in any other country.

pearly

Record Breaker
Being pompous in choice of words and phrases doesn't make the message less harmful or meaningful. A veiled insult is still an insult.

This exchange between the coaching team and Plushenko really isn't the only example of the style of writing I am referring to. I see it everywhere, even when Russian native speakers post here in English about certain things.

Let me add that I am a translator as well (but not for Russian) so I know from my studies that the general tone of text and language overall need to be considered as well. My conclusion (albeit perhaps incorrect) is that in Russian it is simply more normal to use such tone and that perhaps it should be toned down in translations, which it is not because they are never done professionally.

esteticlove

Final Flight
But I find it funny that drama in Russian FS is mainly caused by grown adults while skaters themselves that are younger and less experienced are mostly classy and positive. I don't remember seeing an actual skater say something very negative on their fellow or foreign athletes, while former skaters (usually not the ones retired recently) and coaches say a lot of controversial stuff.

The reason for this was already mentioned above. Young athletes who are actively competing think mainly for becoming better and better in what they are doing, with the main goal to win major competitions. Retired athletes, especially the ones who are also coaching (or at least trying to..), make use of such statements because their agenda is to influence the politics in sports and at best to get more publicity, money and power.

I also don't think that this outburst of comments between those public personas (Team Tutberidze, Tarasova, Pluschenko) happened by accident or just because someone lost his nerves. There are less than 2 weeks until RussNationals, where we know who is going to grab the entire podium (and not just the 1st place) if everything works out the way we all probably wish. Also, I don't know how much influence this Navka woman has but if she indeed has a lot of power in figure skating politics, than it's understandable that people close to the Federation, who are on the losing site right now, start to get nervous about Eteri gaining such friends.