2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Wasn’t she recently diagnosed with pneumonia? It’s bad timing. I hope she gets well and trains for next season. This isn’t the end.

lpt

On the Ice
Why does every Canadian lady use the same kind of music - women, singing a lyrical song?

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
But you're aware that Kevin was 3rd at GPF with 4T only? So if you put him in top 10, why Roman needs to have more quads than 4S?

I agree. Roman's quality and artistry are not inferior to Kevin imo, and if I remember correctly Kevin made a mistake at the GPF on one jump. I think Roman should just focus on the content he has and keep polishing it, he does have a 4T as well, it is still inconsistent though. If Kevin skates like he did in the GPF he will likely get a higher score than Roman because he has more international recognition and a GPF medal which will surely help him., but I think Roman has it in him to finish in the top 10 at Worlds :)

Albus

Match Penalty
If she wants to continue or even finally to start a competitive career, she should find a coach overseas.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kevin was 4th at 2019 Euros and 11th at 2019 Worlds (which earned him those 2 GP slots). He won two GP medals, made the GPF and won a GPF medal. Kevin is on a roll this year. You can't compare him to Roman, who hasn't put together two great performances since his JGP days. Also, Kevin skates fast with great power, and wears his emotions on his sleeves. Roman is a more tentative skater who has excellent presentation, but it is more subtle.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Also in the process of discussing the one man being sent to Worlds, he delivers an, uh, less-than-glowing assessment of much of the previous decade's Canadian men's field.

“As much as everyone says we are only sending one man to Worlds, I’ve said if you really think about it, in the 10 years Patrick (Chan) was champion, most years we were sending one man to Worlds. But we’re confident with our men.”

What a stupid and unsubstantiated statement to make. In the 10 years Chan was Canadian champion, these Canadian skaters also went to Worlds that year:

2008 Chan (9th) + Buttle (who won)
2009 Chan (2nd) + Chipeur (12th)
2010 Chan (2nd) + Reynolds (11th)
2011 Chan (1st) + Reynolds (20th) + Russell (24th)
2012 Chan (1st) + Reynolds (12th)
2013 Chan (1st) + Reynolds (5th) + Rogozine (13th)
2014 Nguyen (11th) + Reynolds (12th)
2016 Chan (5th) + Nguyen (27th)
2017 Chan (5th) + Reynolds (9th)
2018 Messing (8th) + Nguyen (25th)

I get that Chan was the poster guy of Canadian men's skating but there were still decent results from the other guys over the years with Reynolds, Nguyen and Messing all having placed in the top 10.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kevin was 4th at 2019 Euros and 11th at 2019 Worlds (which earned him those 2 GP slots). He won two GP medals, made the GPF and won a GPF medal. Kevin is on a roll this year. You can't compare him to Roman, who hasn't put together two great performances since his JGP days. Also, Kevin skates fast with great power, and wears his emotions on his sleeves. Roman is a more tentative skater who has excellent presentation, but it is more subtle.

Roman's quality of skating (in terms of skating skills) is comparable to Kevin's but Kevin's has much more intricate choreography/transitions (who has some of the hardest jump transitions in the field), and skates with way more emotions. His jumps are more powerful and exciting and are highlights, whereas Sadovsky's jumps are very measured and careful (especially his combos).

I think Roman's a fantastic skater but he is definitely nowhere near Kevin's level yet. Yes, he handily beat Kevin in the NHK FS, but Kevin's improved considerably, and that was not representative of what he's capable of as the GPF and French Nationals have shown.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I get that he was joking, but for the record Phil, a Canadian woman got a World title and individual Olympic bronze in 2018, and Canadian women earned a Four Continents silver and two World medals in 2017. Which is more than ladies from other countries can say in the past 3 seasons.

We're in a rebuilding phase. It's understandable to call a spade a spade (the ladies were pretty abysmal) but kinda lame to suggest other countries should send their skaters to us. Can't wait for Hersh to opine which Russian pair should start representing the US. :sarcasm:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a stupid and unsubstantiated statement to make.

I ignored this statement until it dawned on me that it was made by a federation leader.

I initially thought it was some commentator or internet blowhard.

It is incredibly disrespectful to athletes who represented their country very credibly and certainly with more honor than he has shown with this flippant attitude.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I ignored this statement until it dawned on me that it was made by a federation leader.

I initially thought it was some commentator or internet blowhard.

It is incredibly disrespectful to athletes who represented their country very credibly and certainly with more honor than he has shown with this flippant attitude.

Yeah, IMO he should issue some sort of apology, because he's literally the LAST person who should be making that kind of statement. Wonder if he'll still joke about ACTUALLY having 1 spot at Worlds for this year (or next if our inevitable sole representative doesn't place well). :rolleye:

Guess the High Performance Director of Skate Canada only cares about skaters with High Placements. :sarcasm:

Roo87

Medalist
I get that he was joking, but for the record Phil, a Canadian woman got a World title and individual Olympic bronze in 2018, and Canadian women earned a Four Continents silver and two World medals in 2017. Which is more than ladies from other countries can say in the past 3 seasons.

We're in a rebuilding phase. It's understandable to call a spade a spade (the ladies were pretty abysmal) but kinda lame to suggest other countries should send their skaters to us. Can't wait for Hersh to opine which Russian pair should start representing the US. :sarcasm:

In 2013 we had one ladies world spot, Kaetlyn. She was able to place high enough to earn 2 spots for Sochi, where she placed 13th and Gabby 17th. We might find ourselves in the same situation at next years Worlds, and that's ok because look what happened in 2017-2018. This isn't Russia where you move up from juniors and have 2 years of success and maybe go to the Olympics (if you're lucky). In Canada we build our team, and most go to at least 2 Olympics and end on a high note.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
In 2013 we had one ladies world spot, Kaetlyn. She was able to place high enough to earn 2 spots for Sochi, where she placed 13th and Gabby 19th. We might find ourselves in the same situation at next years Worlds, and that's ok because look what happened in 2017-2018. This isn't Russia where you move up from juniors and have 2 years of success and maybe go to the Olympics (if you're lucky). In Canada we build our team, and most go to at least 2 Olympics and end on a high note.

Well, part of that is due to the level of competition in Russia being so exceedingly high coupled with the potential burnout from having to compete at such a technically high level. We take time to develop our skaters, and we don't have the scores of youngsters taking up figure skating that Russia and Japan have.... so that means we only get a standout star once in a while. It was extremely fortunate, and rather fortuitous, that we had a trifecta of internationally-competitive ladies skaters in Osmond/Daleman/Chartrand. Because the field isn't so insanely competitive, skaters feel less pressure to be hardcore from the get-go.. but I think this also makes them less competitive internationally. Though at least they get to enjoy a longer career, even if it might not bring the accolades.

It will be interesting to see how a standout, like Alysa Liu, might incite more attempts at 3A and quads in the US.. but in Canada, it's not necessary to compete internationally - which for many of these skaters is the ultimate goal, since obviously trying to medal at Worlds is far from reality given the status quo of what's technically needed to make it even near the top.

I don't think since Angela Derochie has any Canadian woman even attempted a 3A, let alone trained one. That might have to change if we want to ever make a run at the World podium ever again... but it clashes with the sentiment that skaters should enjoy skating, and enjoy longer careers with few injuries.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, IMO he should issue some sort of apology, because he's literally the LAST person who should be making that kind of statement. Wonder if he'll still joke about ACTUALLY having 1 spot at Worlds for this year (or next if our inevitable sole representative doesn't place well). :rolleye:

Guess the High Performance Director of Skate Canada only cares about skaters with High Placements. :sarcasm:

Not to mention his five World Championship placements range from a high of 7 (two spots below Kevin Reynolds' best placement) to a low of 20.

By his own logic, it was like he wasn't even there.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Perhaps Slipchuck needs reminding of his own skating career of being ''the other guy'' of Canadian mens skating, behind the greatness of Browning and Stojko. :shrug:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Perhaps Slipchuck needs reminding of his own skating career of being ''the other guy'' of Canadian mens skating, behind the greatness of Browning and Stojko. :shrug:

I wonder if after his one Canadian title, tying for the moment the number won by Roman Sadovsky, if Skate Canada forced him into a "skate for your life" situation, or if they named him to the World Team immediately.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Because the field isn't so insanely competitive, skaters feel less pressure to be hardcore from the get-go.. but I think this also makes them less competitive internationally.
To me, this kind of argument about the state of the ladies field is a bit circular to me; even ignoring that all of these girls' ultimate goal is to compete internationally and they're well aware of what is necessary to do that, Canada always has a large field of girls competing (invariably the largest of any discipline). There's always plenty of incentive even domestically to stand out technically.

I don't think since Angela Derochie has any Canadian woman even attempted a 3A, let alone trained one.
Chartrand tried it a few years ago, without success (obviously).

I know Ruiter has tried it in harness, at least. That's something a lot of skaters do, of course, just to see what it's like, so I don't know if that's something Davis & Langdon are actually working on with her, but she's ambitious, so it wouldn't surprise me.

I wonder if after his one Canadian title, tying for the moment the number won by Roman Sadovsky, if Skate Canada forced him into a "skate for your life" situation, or if they named him to the World Team immediately.
Not really a comparable situation at all, as he'd been to Worlds a number of times at that point, and the third spot was clearly understood to be a third wheel behind Kurt and Elvis. There's nothing improper about taking a long hard look at who gets the one spot.

kenboy123

On the Ice
Why does every Canadian lady use the same kind of music - women, singing a lyrical song?

Why does every skater in any category use similar music or the same music???...i honestly respected that a team had the guts to go with Candyman because that was for sure a song that no one else would have gone with and it was fun and modern...

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
What a stupid and unsubstantiated statement to make. In the 10 years Chan was Canadian champion, these Canadian skaters also went to Worlds that year:

2008 Chan (9th) + Buttle (who won)
2009 Chan (2nd) + Chipeur (12th)
2010 Chan (2nd) + Reynolds (11th)
2011 Chan (1st) + Reynolds (20th) + Russell (24th)
2012 Chan (1st) + Reynolds (12th)
2013 Chan (1st) + Reynolds (5th) + Rogozine (13th)
2014 Nguyen (11th) + Reynolds (12th)
2016 Chan (5th) + Nguyen (27th)
2017 Chan (5th) + Reynolds (9th)
2018 Messing (8th) + Nguyen (25th)

I get that Chan was the poster guy of Canadian men's skating but there were still decent results from the other guys over the years with Reynolds, Nguyen and Messing all having placed in the top 10.

I don't see Nam getting to be 5th, and I distinctly recall him doing that. Or was that the year Patrick took time off?