2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Orlov

Medalist
Thank you, Orlov, but listen to what?
I am fairly conversant with North American media, and I have seen no reports of offers to Liza to change her citizenship. So I think I am understanding that this is a made up presumption: “what if” Liza were to get an offer, just like “what if” I were to land a quad axel tomorrow:biggrin:

Am I Mishin's press secretary? Ask him. However, I think you understood the main meaning of what I wrote.

In any case, all this nonsense is not worth even tapping a fingers on the keyboard.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
How is Émy Carignan who had this horrible fall in warm ups? Competing with a broken wrist and torn kneecap, only later to find out she had broken teeth, bruised face and ribs and a concussion?

What are the protocols in case? Did nobody act upon them?

And no media outrage over underage skaters competing dangerous elements? Makes one look differently at the discussion over 'ban the quads' and 'raise the age limit' for female Russian skaters ...

Only found this out from https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/figureice/2702440.html and the Russian fora where it was said all hell would break loose in 'Western media' if it happened to a Russian girl ....

Mawwerg

Final Flight
How is Émy Carignan who had this horrible fall in warm ups? Competing with a broken wrist and torn kneecap, only later to find out she had broken teeth, bruised face and ribs and a concussion?

And no media outrage over underage skaters competing dangerous elements? Makes one look differently at the discussion over 'ban the quads' and 'raise the age limit' for female Russian skaters ...

Only found this out from https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/figureice/2702440.html and the Russian fora where it was said all hell would break loose in 'Western media' if it happened to a Russian girl ....

I believe it's impossible to detect is there an injury or not in such a short time. And one obviously can not forbid to compete anybody who fell at warm-up.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

As someone has written there: "Why Korpi is silent about that?"

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I believe it's impossible to detect is there an injury or not in such a short time. And one obviously can not forbid to compete anybody who fell at warm-up.

My stomach knotted seeing this small clip on that blog, awful fall.

This incident is about the worst that could happen to a girl in pairs skating. When it would have happened during the competition live stream? Now the director quickly switched camera's.

When she landed on her back and smashed her skull ...

When there would have been her blood on the ice ...

Still, after such a fall, there should have been a compulsory check up. At all these competitions a doctor is in attendance. One cannot rely solely on the judgement of a 13 year old still on adrenaline, or her trainers' without any medical qualification to judge the health of a child.

Pairs skating is dangerous, and any raising of the age limit will seriously affect this discipline.

No news on Emy's condition and spirit/health?

And on the boy, he must be shocked and perhaps feeling guilty over his error?

In order for both of them to remain skating, counselling is necessary.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
And no media outrage over underage skaters competing dangerous elements?
More reflective of the fact that there could be a murder committed at center ice during the junior pairs nationals and the national sports media wouldn't notice unless Skate Canada pointed it out to them.

I've been avoiding saying too much about this because there hasn't been a ton of information about the actual process of what went on, but the ancedotal reports suggest the on-site medical personnel's response was entirely inadequate.

Unrelatedly, the entries for the Bavarian Open are out, and Skate Canada must have gotten great bulk rates on airfare and hotel accommodations, because everybody's going -- many, many juniors, a few advanced novice, and then two senior dance teams who I guess can be deputized to act as chaperones.

Is this Kiira Korpi we are talking about? Does this have any relevance to the topic of this thread (Canadian figure skating)?

Orlov

Medalist
Is this Kiira Korpi we are talking about? Does this have any relevance to the topic of this thread (Canadian figure skating)?

Well, it never stopped talking about Korpi in the Russian topic, why should it interfere here?

Why is everyone so paranoid? Let Kiira Korpi say what she wants. Meanwhile, Russian ladies utterly dominate the sport. No reason for us to waste our time whining about the whiners.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Nam got rid of me on social media this morning :eek: , which shocked me because I didn't say anything negative about him (or anyone else, skater or otherwise). You guys know that I'm not the type of person to bash anyone, and I even asked several people to look over my posts and tell me if I had said anything that might be remotely offensive, and they've all confirmed that my comments are fine. Nam isn't my acquaintance (I've only met him once), but I'm still a little sad that I've somehow irritated him to the point where he bothered to look for my name among his thousands of followers and then kicked me out of his online social circle. :( All I know is that he "dumped" me shortly after I had changed my profile pic to Roman's National Team portrait.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Nam got rid of me on social media this morning, which shocked me because I didn't say anything negative about him (or anyone else, skater or otherwise). You guys know that I'm not the type of person to bash anyone, and I even asked several people to look over my posts and tell me if I had said anything that might be remotely offensive, and they've all confirmed that my comments are fine. Nam isn't my acquaintance (I've only met him once), but I'm still a little sad that I've somehow irritated him to the point where he bothered to look for my name among his thousands of followers and then kicked me out of his online social circle. :( All I know is that he "dumped" me shortly after I had changed my profile pic to Roman's National Team portrait.

You are always so gracious to skaters and respected here for your passion in promoting both skaters and the sport, Siberia82. Please don't take it personally as I am sure he is still paining over his LP performance and reacted in a moment.

You have always enjoyed multiple skaters, and have demonstrated this here. That, and your grace!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Nam got rid of me on social media this morning, which shocked me because I didn't say anything negative about him (or anyone else, skater or otherwise). You guys know that I'm not the type of person to bash anyone, and I even asked several people to look over my posts and tell me if I had said anything that might be remotely offensive, and they've all confirmed that my comments are fine. Nam isn't my acquaintance (I've only met him once), but I'm still a little sad that I've somehow irritated him to the point where he bothered to look for my name among his thousands of followers and then kicked me out of his online social circle. :( All I know is that he "dumped" me shortly after I had changed my profile pic to Roman's National Team portrait.

It may not have anything to do with you personally, it could be just a general cull of followers and/or friends (on facebook for example), maybe even not done by him but someone in his team. :love:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It may not have anything to do with you personally, it could be just a general cull of followers and/or friends (on facebook for example), maybe even not done by him but someone in his team. :love:

I just for the heck of it looked to see if we were still FB friends and we are no longer. I haven't written to himinlike two years. Maybe he islimitig his friends to those he really knows? I wouldn't worry.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
siberia, many athletes don't manage their social media... or at least, do not manage all of it themselves... do not take this personally.

some accounts are limited in numbers, so sometimes it is done just to make room for "real life friends"

ps... as a fan, and that is not a critique, i do not feel i can "friend" skaters i don't know in real life... so i have 0 skating world friends on social media.... i wonder if it's a common practice for the skaters to accept fans' requests... and if yes, i can understand that at one point, they could purge...

regarding roman... do not forget that nam and roman had their own bromance a while back... i don't know if they are still friends but i doubt he's angry at roman... there is only one person who messed up his road to the title and it's him.. nothing to do with anyone else

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks to everyone who pointed out that Nam is not necessarily annoyed with me personally (and I certainly hope that is the case, but of course I'll never know for sure). It kinda sucks that I'm now cut off from him on social media after 3 years, but it is what it is.

ps... as a fan, and that is not a critique, i do not feel i can "friend" skaters i don't know in real life... so i have 0 skating world friends on social media.... i wonder if it's a common practice for the skaters to accept fans' requests...

I can only discuss my very limited experience in this area, but specifically in the case of Joseph and Matthew, I had asked them in person if I could connect with them online, and they agreed. As for Nam and Nic, I happened to notice that they had numerous followers, so I took a chance and hoped they would let me join their virtual social circle even though I had never met them. That happened to work (and I ended up meeting them later), but I never dared to do that again.

Lovechihuahua

Match Penalty
I can see massive score inflation for Moore-Towers / Marinaro and Gilles / Poirier at Worlds, they are the only medal hopes that Canada has now.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I can see massive score inflation for Moore-Towers / Marinaro and Gilles / Poirier at Worlds, they are the only medal hopes that Canada has now.

I hope that they are rewarded fairly, as they should be. Can you say, often overlooked and long overdue, versus other competitors in their field?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
about the scoring, skate canada made it clear to the world that they consider mtm2.0 and GP as valuable as national champions as their predecessors... they are not place holders, they are real contenders.. i have no problems with that whatsoever. actually, with all the years GP have been scored as the number 3 team in their country... it's a nice payback.

what will the international judges do? I don;t know... all i know is that i personally believe both teams are podium worthy.