Alexandra Trusova switching from Tutberidze to Plushenko | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Alexandra Trusova switching from Tutberidze to Plushenko

rinkside_user

On the Ice
It's kinda scary how Eteri's former absolute best skaters have all left already: 2013-14 season darling Lipnitskaya, 2-time WC Medvedeva, OC+WC Zagitova, JGPC Tsurskaya (she was supposed to be the next biggest thing sans injury), and now 2-time JWC Trusova. Shouldn't look good in her coaching CV.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
It's kinda scary how Eteri's former absolute best skaters have all left already: 2013-14 season darling Lipnitskaya, 2-time WC Medvedeva, OC+WC Zagitova, JGPC Tsurskaya (she was supposed to be the next biggest thing sans injury), and now 2-time JWC Trusova. Shouldn't look good in her coaching CV.

Zagitova didn't leave.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

And while some people try to convince us that "nobody should make a drama about coaching changes, because that's normal", such comments prove that drama starts elsewhere.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Is there life after Tutberidze?

Aleksandra Trusova, who got into the Guinness Book of Records for her quadruple jumps, left the group of Eteri Tutberidze and officially went to train with Yevgeniy Plyushchenko.
In the history of Russian figure skating, these kind of transfers have already happened. The end is always sad.

Earlier, Eteri Tutberidze found the need to make a statement on social networks. The coach, who had already raised several World Champions, pointed out that Plyushchenko could not bring up a single winner from scratch.

“ To become a trainer for working with eminent athletes, especially women, and just so suddenly like Yevgeniy Plyushchenko did, I see this example for the first time,” said the Soviet coach, five-time USSR champion Valeriy Meshkov. - Even Stanislav Alekseyevich Zhuk, who raised Irina Rodnina and many other celebrities in figure skating, said that a good coach and a good athlete are two different entities. By the way, he himself was never an Olympic Champion. Despite the fact that he was the most brilliant coach in our history.

According to another famous figure skater, Ilya Averbukh, from Khrustalniy, the skating rink where the group of Eteri Tutberidze works, skaters leave for other trainers because of the intense competition.

Is there not enough attention for everybody?

Who else have left?

- Yuliya Lipnitskaya

The first sign, a loud departure from the group of Eteri Tutberidze was Yuliya Lipnitskaya, who, after an unsuccessful performance at the 2014 Olympics, was never able to return to the top of women's skating. In 2015, the athlete went to train with Alexey Urmanov, but, having won nothing, against the background of a series of injuries and a fight against anorexia, ended her career.

- Yevgeniya Medvyedeva

She was considered the main favourite before the 2018 Olympic Gamess, but sensationally lost to Alina Zagitova. After this, her relationship with her coach deteriorated. In the same year, the skater moved to Canada to the famous coach Brian Orser. Her best result since then was a Bronze in the World Championships in Japan.

- Polina Tsurskaya

Under the leadership of Tutberidze, she became the champion of the Youth Olympics 2016. In 2018, she changed her coach and switched to Yelena Buyanova. A year after that, she announced her retirement.

- Anastasiya Tarakanova

She left the group of Eteri Tutberidze also to go to Yevgeniy Plyushchenko in the spring of 2018. As a result, training with the two-time Olympic Champion lasted less than a year. According to Plyushchenko, the cause of the break up were the athlete's tantrums on ice. Anastasiya herself denied this, saying that she left on her own initiative.

(c) Дмитрий Соколов
----
From: https://sobesednik.ru/sport/20200512-est-li-zhizn-posle-tutberidze

E

eterialskater

Eteri's detractors are really prone to superlatives. I imagine them watching competitions and wasting their time watching her for any suspicious smirk or smile. It can't he helped though, she is one fascinating and polarizing lady.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is there life after Tutberidze?

Earlier, Eteri Tutberidze found the need to make a statement on social networks. The coach, who had already raised several World Champions, pointed out that Plyushchenko could not bring up a single winner from scratch.

(c) Дмитрий Соколов
----
From: https://sobesednik.ru/sport/20200512-est-li-zhizn-posle-tutberidze

You know what I'd like to see Eteri and her team walk the walk on this.

If taking students from coaches is the crime they claim it is then I don't want Sambo 70 taking a single student who's had an outside coach before.

And if they don't they can no longer claim they raised a "champion from scratch".

I believe Zhenya Med, Alina, Aliona and Sasha started out with other coaches in their formative years so they're no longer Sambo 70 champions.

By the same token Brian O can't claim Yuna or Yuzu or Javi as his successes.

TAT can't claim any credit for Yags nor can Mishin for Plushy, Liza or Sofia.

See how dumb a statement like that is?

Eteri and her team need to build a bridge and get over themselves. They act like they invented coaching and it's really quite tiring.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If there were this many articles in N. American press asking everybody and their uncle what they thought about a skater leaving a coach, I'd be :slink: and :laugh:

Who cares? A skater left a coach, the sun rises in the East, and life goes on.

And all this innuendo about Plushy and Sasha and money. Again, who cares? I'm not in the camp of anyone here, not Sasha, not Plushy, not Eteri, but if Sasha and her family are indeed getting a payday, you go girl:clap:

A skating center is not the Armed Services. A skater is not deserting anyone or anything by making a decision to change coaches. Best of luck to all skaters who decide to make a change, and best of luck to all who decide to stay.:yay:

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
If there were this many articles in N. American press asking everybody and their uncle what they thought about a skater leaving a coach, I'd be :slink: and :laugh:

Who cares? A skater left a coach, the sun rises in the East, and life goes on.

And all this innuendo about Plushy and Sasha and money. Again, who cares? I'm not in the camp of anyone here, not Sasha, not Plushy, not Eteri, but if Sasha and her family are indeed getting a payday, you go girl:clap:

A skating center is not the Armed Services. A skater is not deserting anyone or anything by making a decision to change coaches. Best of luck to all skaters who decide to make a change, and best of luck to all who decide to stay.:yay:

I completely agree but geeze.. dont tell Russia that lol

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
You know what I'd like to see Eteri and her team walk the walk on this.

If taking students from coaches is the crime they claim it is then I don't want Sambo 70 taking a single student who's had an outside coach before.

And if they don't they can no longer claim they raised a "champion from scratch".

I believe Zhenya Med, Alina, Aliona and Sasha started out with other coaches in their formative years so they're no longer Sambo 70 champions.

By the same token Brian O can't claim Yuna or Yuzu or Javi as his successes.

TAT can't claim any credit for Yags nor can Mishin for Plushy, Liza or Sofia.

See how dumb a statement like that is?

Eteri and her team need to build a bridge and get over themselves. They act like they invented coaching and it's really quite tiring.

Once again, I disagree. It is a big difference when a coach starts to work with a skater before he/she turns even 10 or shortly after (that's the age when most skaters start to train in Khrustalnyi), esp. when it is a skater practically unknown even in his age category, and make a champion of him, and the case when already renowned skater with some recognizible success and abilities start to work in a team. You mentioned Brian, yes, he works mainly with students who are just ready to some degree. He himself said once he doesn't want to work with children/unprepared skaters.

And, also, what is completely missing here is the context. Those words were reaction to an allegation from the Plushenko's side that Eteri's team isn't providing proper care to her students.

You can't still demand for one team (who is that being repeatedly attacked and blamed for everything) to be always perfect while allowing your favourites to say whatever that want.

BTW that Eteri was also just beginning her coaching career. Yes, but after just three years of her coaching (without practically abny support Plushenko has now) she would hardly come and say what the others do wrong.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Once again, I disagree. It is a big difference when a coach starts to work with a skater before he/she turns even 10 or shortly after (that's the age when most skaters start to train in Khrustalnyi), esp. when it is a skater practically unknown even in his age category, and make a champion of him, and the case when already renowned skater with some recognizible success and abilities start to work in a team. You mentioned Brian, yes, he works mainly with students who are just ready to some degree. He himself said once he doesn't want to work with children/unprepared skaters.

And, also, what is completely missing here is the context. Those words were reaction to an allegation from the Plushenko's side that Eteri's team isn't providing proper care to her students.

You can't still demand for one team (who is that being repeatedly attacked and blamed for everything) to be always perfect while allowing your favourites to say whatever that want.

BTW that Eteri was also just beginning her coaching career. Yes, but after just three years of her coaching (without practically abny support Plushenko has now) she would hardly come and say what the others do wrong.

So we can't judge Eteri and her team, but we can judge Plushenko and his team?

What exactly will all you doubters do if Sasha T knocks it out of the park next season? Will you apologise for pretty much slandering Plushy, I saw Edwin accuse him of outright bribery at the Novices Ladies Nationals - because apparently that's the only way Sofia Titova could have won? Accusing someone of a crime is a serious matter and not something to be taken lightly.

And if I recall Plushy merely stated that Alina might benefit from having another coach (not even naming himself) at which point Eteri and her team, who may I remind you, are significantly more powerful and important than him in the coaching sphere accused him of all manner of horrible things and basically tried to ruin his career. How do you expect him to react? Just sit there and take it?

I just think it's unfair and wrong to deny the work Plushy does at the Academy. He does more than just lend his name to the place like Yags does to his centre in Belarus, he's trying to build it from the ground up. Instead of being impressed by that though, people seem to want to downplay and belittle it.

I'm starting to wonder why Plushy even bothers, it's not like it's made him popular, I can only assume that he *gasp* is actually very invested in figure skating and *gasp* enjoys learning to be a coach.

So I've also come to realise that no matter what Plushy does a lot of people just want him gone from the figure skating world. He could do everything perfectly, but certain people hate him for whatever reason and if he disappeared into a black hole tomorrow they'd probably have a party.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist

So Trusova is esentially not Eteri's success by your logic since she was 12 years old when Eteri and co. started to work with her. Seems like Olga Shevtsova should step forward and soak some of the fame and glory :)

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia

Listen. Only the abnormal will not recognize the success of the Eteri team. The results speak for themselves. Plushenko does not have a tenth of Eteri's success as a coach. By and large, he has no success at a serious level at all. Yes, Plushenko rejoiced in Titova’s success, probably more than it really is. Did it somehow diminish the prestige of Tutberidze? I don’t think so. Does she need protection against Plushenko’s expansion? Indeed? Let both do their job, only time and results in the competition will put everything in its place.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Listen. Only the abnormal will not recognize the success of the Eteri team. The results speak for themselves. Plushenko does not have a tenth of Eteri's success as a coach. By and large, he has no success at a serious level at all. Yes, Plushenko rejoiced in Titova’s success, probably more than it really is. Did it somehow diminish the prestige of Tutberidze? I don’t think so. Does she need protection against Plushenko’s expansion? Indeed? Let both do their job, only time and results in the competition will put everything in its place.

Often coaches spend years refining techniques which allows them to teach harder jumps, so their first students aren't as successful.
Take medvedeva. Of course she was very successful, however Tutberetzi started earlier and had not managed to teach her quads. THen her next students had better jumps and so on.
The same is for Plushenko.
Hot Sergei will be a big asset to Plushenko. He might be able to take his academy to another level.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
So we can't judge Eteri and her team, but we can judge Plushenko and his team?

What exactly will all you doubters do if Sasha T knocks it out of the park next season? Will you apologise for pretty much slandering Plushy, I saw Edwin accuse him of outright bribery at the Novices Ladies Nationals - because apparently that's the only way Sofia Titova could have won? Accusing someone of a crime is a serious matter and not something to be taken lightly.

In just two paragraphs you first ask if it is not allowed tu judge Eteri's team, and just after that you start to blame those who doubt (judge?) Plushenko.

I've never said "you can't judge Eteri and her team". I just disagree with most of the judgements. I consider there's nothing wrong in disagreement with anything what was said, incl. of what was said by you. Or me.

As for my personal comments about the coaching change, I don's see a single thing for what I should apologize. Just see my very first comment. I never made a strong statement about what Sasha can or cannot achieve under Plushenko technically. That I have my view of Plushenko as a person is a different story and I'm making my own opinion based on what he personally said and did.

I don't agree that "either you are happy with Sasha's change or say nothing" attidude, to say it completely clear. And I remind that considering this move not good doesn't mean that I either prohibit Sasha to or her family to make such decision or that I wish her doing bad. It's what it is - on the basis of my knowledge of the substantial circumstances I don't consider it being a good decision. And I feel completely free to express my opinion.

And if I recall Plushy merely stated that Alina might benefit from having another coach (not even naming himself) at which point Eteri and her team, who may I remind you, are significantly more powerful and important than him in the coaching sphere accused him of all manner of horrible things and basically tried to ruin his career. How do you expect him to react? Just sit there and take it?

I've already quoted what Plushy have said. His fans are ignoring his accusations (incl. the accusation of corruption) or say that "he wouldn't have said that if it weren't true". And then bash Eteri for literally every word she said.

As for Eteri being powerful: The only power Eteri has is the work she has behind herslef, not the powerful people behind herself. I think we can give a credit to what she has achieved.

Again I remind that any word Eteri doesn't start comments abot other coaches or persons, when there is a word from her as what was reminded above it's a reaction to the words stated by someone else about her. She definitely is allowed to respond when someone makes a claim (esp. when it is a truculent comment) about her.

I just think it's unfair and wrong to deny the work Plushy does at the Academy. He does more than just lend his name to the place like Yags does to his centre in Belarus, he's trying to build it from the ground up. Instead of being impressed by that though, people seem to want to downplay and belittle it.

I'm starting to wonder why Plushy even bothers, it's not like it's made him popular, I can only assume that he *gasp* is actually very invested in figure skating and *gasp* enjoys learning to be a coach.

So I've also come to realise that no matter what Plushy does a lot of people just want him gone from the figure skating world. He could do everything perfectly, but certain people hate him for whatever reason and if he disappeared into a black hole tomorrow they'd probably have a party.

Those are the words of fan.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
So Trusova is esentially not Eteri's success by your logic since she was 12 years old when Eteri and co. started to work with her. Seems like Olga Shevtsova should step forward and soak some of the fame and glory :)

Do not twist my words, that's cheap.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

I see many abnormal will here, then, I'm sorry to say that. I wouldn't join this party and would be completely satisfied with my first comment on this change (linked above), if this discussion didn't take the course I consider unfair, biased and malicious when related to Eteri's team's success, treating their students, being accused of whatever and so.