Will Zagitova return? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Will Zagitova return?

Scott512

Record Breaker
i'm sure it was an honest mistake, after all Alina medaled at all but 3 competitions, domestic and international, following the olympics until she announced her break. that's a huge accomplishment and nothing to scoff at.

Well said. And Alina got a silver medal at 2019 worlds in the SP. Caro got a gold in the SP. Dont recall who got SP bronze.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Happy 18th birthday to Alina! :party2::cheer::agree: Eteri finally has a woman skarer! Well besides Zhenya whom she had until she was 18 and half. I still tthink Alina comes back this upcoming season if there is one. I would think test skates in september is not a sure thing in Russia. Scary times.

Finley

Record Breaker
She may try, but I doubt she will be as successful as she used to be. Her window has passed.

This is entirely possible. No one can win all the time. But sometimes it’s good to know that you fought for something you wanted. Just the journey itself is it’s own reward.

Sent from my iPhone using Golden Skate

Scott512

Record Breaker
She may try, but I doubt she will be as successful as she used to be. Her window has passed.
Her window has passed? She's 18 today not 80. It's not over for Alina. If she doesn't win as much as she used to that's another story and that's just fine with me.

This is entirely possible. No one can win all the time. But sometimes it’s good to know that you fought for something you wanted. Just the journey itself is it’s own reward.

Sent from my iPhone using Golden Skate

So true.

Amei

Record Breaker
Her window has passed? She's 18 today not 80. It's not over for Alina. If she doesn't win as much as she used to that's another story and that's just fine with me.

A key statement from her clarification Instagram post after her interview about her break...if google translate is translating correctly :biggrin:

As an athlete who has achieved all possible first places, I want to be on the highest pedestal, and for this I need to train even more and even harder.

It may be fine with you but I don't get the impression that not winning is 'fine' with her - I don't think it's a coincidence that the competition last season that she said she had no motivation for, was a competition where she knew going into it that having a shot on the podium would require perfection from her and multiple mistakes from 3 skaters that were consistent with much more difficult content, and that winning that competition is pretty much impossible. That's not something she's dealt with previously the last 2 years, she's always been at the top with the technical content, and the only skater that out-paced her technically is inconsistent.

The question is gonna be whenever competitions start again, if its a repeat of last season where she wasn't really all that close to winning,her 2 GP events she finished roughly 20 points behind first place, will she keep at competing or will she bow out for commercial opportunities.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Personally I was pretty skeptical about her comeback until she was named to the main national team. I think the national team, even though they're not really in favor of Sinitsyna, wouldn't give a spot to someone who isn't coming back. The fed knows more than we do. Alina hinted that she has a quad in one article, maybe Eteri is going to surprise everyone who says she can't train adults. It doesn't seem like Alina is going to risk leaving TEam Tutberidze and changing her technique, so she's going to have to make the best out of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is an Adelina comeback. I know that part of her lack of motivation was because she had been going and going and was so burnt out after the Olympics and worlds, but she has won everything. And she will never be the top dog who is winning everything again. She knows that, and she said in an interview at the Olympics that she knew her time would come and go. She will never win everything or set another world record, it's just not plausible unless a meteor crashes. But what she can do, seeing how the judges scored her despite struggling with jumps and such last season, is capitalize off her ability and skate for herself. She can put her combos in the second half, get programs that elevate her. If she wants to skate, they who can stop her?

Let's be real here, so far Eteri has not been able to train a lady with a woman's body to the same standard as she has with a girl's body, and that's just reality of physics sometimes. But at the rate of burnout, if Alina can push past one generation then she could very well be at the cusp of an international team again, even when Kamila and co join the senior ranks. She should be lucky that a lot of the best juniors won't be senior until 2023-24. Gorbacheva, Akatieva, Zhilina, Dmitrieva, Zakharova, Berestovskaya....

Long story short: Alina will never be as dominant as she was during the Olympics, she knows and we all know too. But if she can find it in herself to come back and fight, then she can and should. I think honestly she just needed a break, but now that she's on the national team, hopefully she can stick it out for herself :)

colormyworld240

Medalist
Isn't it funny how it's the same group of people who said that she shouldn't be "retiring" when she said she wanted to take a break a 17 who are now saying she is done before Alina has said so herself? Seems more like they wish she'd be done. And also it's the same group of people who were saying that skating is more than just jumps who are saying Alina is over because she doesn't have 3As and quads.

Also, Alina won worlds in 2019 post puberty, so if her technique failed, that was quite the fail. It is known that jumping ability is affected by growth, regardless of technique. I believe it took Liza 3 seasons to regain her consistency, and even then it's not where it was in 2015. That's with Mishin's coaching. Alina did that in one season and has also said in many post olympic interviews that the issue was mental because of the pressure from the media after her olympic win where as before people didn't really know her and so she could just go out and skate. And if you watched her run throughs, they were always clean. But of course that wouldn't fit the agenda, so let's ignore all that. Instead, it's better to just ignore everything she says and decide for her whether she will return or not, if she can still jump, if she wants to win or not (spoiler alert: all skaters want to win, that's why they're in a competitive sport). Because the viewers know much more than she does

Alina is a human being who has her own thoughts and opinions and no one knows more about her situation than she does, so we should listen to what she has to say instead of making up our own stories. She's not a tool for Eteri fans and haters, though she definitely has been the first choice.

Whether she returns or not is up to her. She doesn't owe it to her haters or her fans. If she's coming back, good for her for offering more of her time to the sport. If she's done, she's had a great career and accomplished only what one other female skater has. But even if she didn't have any medals like the majority of athletes in any sport, she still made a contribution and should be able to decide when she wants to leave without being used to fuel a narrative, just like everyone else.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Isn't it funny how it's the same group of people who said that she shouldn't be "retiring" when she said she wanted to take a break a 17 who are now saying she is done before Alina has said so herself? Seems more like they wish she'd be done. And also it's the same group of people who were saying that skating is more than just jumps who are saying Alina is over because she doesn't have 3As and quads.

Also, Alina won worlds in 2019 post puberty, so if her technique failed, that was quite the fail. It is known that jumping ability is affected by growth, regardless of technique. I believe it took Liza 3 seasons to regain her consistency, and even then it's not where it was in 2015. That's with Mishin's coaching. Alina did that in one season and has also said in many post olympic interviews that the issue was mental because of the pressure from the media after her olympic win where as before people didn't really know her and so she could just go out and skate. And if you watched her run throughs, they were always clean. But of course that wouldn't fit the agenda, so let's ignore all that. Instead, it's better to just ignore everything she says and decide for her whether she will return or not, if she can still jump, if she wants to win or not (spoiler alert: all skaters want to win, that's why they're in a competitive sport). Because the viewers know much more than she does

Alina is a human being who has her own thoughts and opinions and no one knows more about her situation than she does, so we should listen to what she has to say instead of making up our own stories. She's not a tool for Eteri fans and haters, though she definitely has been the first choice.

Whether she returns or not is up to her. She doesn't owe it to her haters or her fans. If she's coming back, good for her for offering more of her time to the sport. If she's done, she's had a great career and accomplished only what one other female skater has. But even if she didn't have any medals like the majority of athletes in any sport, she still made a contribution and should be able to decide when she wants to leave without being used to fuel a narrative, just like everyone else.

Thank you for your in depth explanation on what was going on. Its all up to Alina. I hope she wins medals but maybe she can do that and enjoy herself as well showing the world what a mature Eteri skater can do.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
I didn’t realize people are counting short program results as actual competition results now. That would change a lot of rankings and such.

I also don’t think anyone is trying to discredit Alina’s attempt at a comeback. I hope she does make the announcement and is able to be competitive with not only her teammates, but the other girls as well

Any news on her quad? I know there were posts of her landing it in a harness. Obviously there’s no one ice training right now, but any news of her progress with the quad before the virus hit?

starlight97

Final Flight
I didn’t realize people are counting short program results as actual competition results now. That would change a lot of rankings and such.

I also don’t think anyone is trying to discredit Alina’s attempt at a comeback. I hope she does make the announcement and is able to be competitive with not only her teammates, but the other girls as well

Any news on her quad? I know there were posts of her landing it in a harness. Obviously there’s no one ice training right now, but any news of her progress with the quad before the virus hit?

She was struggling with her triples the last time we saw her, so I highly doubt it. I think first thing for her will be regaining stable triples and getting back into physical shape.
She needs to get that stable again, which is already a race against time with the mess that next season might be, no ice time now etc

Amei

Record Breaker

That's the great question of everything isn't it?. She gave an interview during the season stating that she wasn't able to train quads because she needed to lose 3kg to be able to train them safely; an interview came out after this season where she mentioned landing a quad but based on the translation she neither stated when she landed the quad or what condition (harness, under-rotated, etc.), the clips I've seen posted on this forum of her training the quad were from the 2018-2019 season and they were under-rotated and looked to be really assisted by the harness. I doubt she's been training them recently, she said in an interview during the season she wasn't training them and at the end of last year and the beginning of this year she was touring for skating shows - I mean I guess she could have been but it seems illogical considering what she said during the season and would she have risked injury while she was lined up to do a lot of skating shows.

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice

SHe may have been having growth spurt and taller in 2019, but this year she really developed the body of a woman, so the technique that was holding on last season wasn't really working yet. She needs to find her strength to weight ratio and decide if this is something that she really wants to do.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
SHe may have been having growth spurt and taller in 2019, but this year she really developed the body of a woman, so the technique that was holding on last season wasn't really working yet. She needs to find her strength to weight ratio and decide if this is something that she really wants to do.

So... it worked the night of her short program, but stopped working when she did her free.

I don’t know what technique Alina has been taught, apparently it turns off and on by a magical switch button.

Not only that, but Alina did all (or almost all) of her runthroughs clean this season. She was flawless in her runthroughs at IDF and same about NHK, and I’m pretty sure GPF too. Not sure what kind of technique issue is that.

To me it looks like it was all psychological. Alina said, she didn’t do well at NHK in her short, but did do well in her free, because there was a lack of a competitive drive the first day, she needs adrenaline to be able to go out there. The unfortunate performance fueled her up to do well on her fp.

I don’t know why people keep repeating some things they heard from TSL like a mantra over and over again, as if they know all the techniques and are technicians themselves.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
https://www.ifsmagazine.com/team-russia-2020-2021-season/

Alina appears to be listed as one of the skaters who will receive Grand Prix assignments next year (if the Grand Prix happens).

We will see what happens. Eteri could also use Tursynbaeva and her quad Sal to sweep if she wanted to, so I think it’s up to Alina to decide if she wants to come back.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

The title of the thread is "Will Zagitova Return?" I don't think anyone who doesn't think she will is expressing that in a disrespectful or negative manner. For me, it's really a matter of observing that a big cause of her burn-out was the rise of the 3A and them preventing her from winning anything. If she wants to compete to win, all three of those top Russians (and the JW champion) need to lose their big jumps.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
The title of the thread is "Will Zagitova Return?" I don't think anyone who doesn't think she will is expressing that in a disrespectful or negative manner. For me, it's really a matter of observing that a big cause of her burn-out was the rise of the 3A and them preventing her from winning anything. If she wants to compete to win, all three of those top Russians (and the JW champion) need to lose their big jumps.

How about Alina gaining "big jumps". Once again, people are applauding Liza for trying quad, but none of you admits the same for Alina. That Alina didn't want to compete (in fact she considered the pause since the olympics) had nothing to do with the 3A, that's another disrespectful implication. People like you never suggest anything like this when it comes to abybody else (who also doesn't have "big jumps" now) but Alina. That's mere sign of disrespect to a particular skater.