Will Zagitova return? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Will Zagitova return?

Scott512

Record Breaker
I would like to get a penny everytime someone suggests that Alina is "forced". I think I could make a fortune ;)

Now. People are clapping to Gracie Gold for her attempts to get back to the form, people regret Loena Hendrickx's injury and wish her comeback and so on. But then they start talking about Alina and start with this BS. Is she forced? Can she get to form? Isn't she done? Is she even alive?

The activity certain people devote to Alina's "being gone" etc. hugely surpasses the activity (if there even was any) those people ever paid to at least congratulate her when she was winning.
You won't get rich on a penny flanker but you will get rich on a dollar for everytime someone said that was forced or she's not coming back. ;) Alina will come back next season hopefully she's fired up and will bring the brass knuckles for everybody! ��

starlight97

Final Flight
I really wish Russian skaters like Alina could change country. Of course she would never want that and it will never happen, but still.
I enjoy her as a skater and as a personality and if she really wants to continue I'd be thrilled. But it's so unfortunate that Russia has such a freaking deep field that she won't even have a chance to perform at Euros or Worlds or any "nr per country" competition even if she skates her current content perfectly.
Unless she suddenly gets a 3A or a quad she'll always have to wait for the younger girls to make mistakes and be perfect herself. Being in that position after having been at the top is very psychologically challenging.
So I'm super curious as to why she had a change of mind and comes back now. I can't imagine an 18yo female skater acquiring a 3A or a quad tbh but proof me wrong Alina.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I really wish Russian skaters like Alina could change country. Of course she would never want that and it will never happen, but still.
I enjoy her as a skater and as a personality and if she really wants to continue I'd be thrilled. But it's so unfortunate that Russia has such a freaking deep field that she won't even have a chance to perform at Euros or Worlds or any "nr per country" competition even if she skates her current content perfectly.
Unless she suddenly gets a 3A or a quad she'll always have to wait for the younger girls to make mistakes and be perfect herself. Being in that position after having been at the top is very psychologically challenging.
So I'm super curious as to why she had a change of mind and comes back now. I can't imagine an 18yo female skater acquiring a 3A or a quad tbh but proof me wrong Alina.

If Alina skates perfectly a word you used then she will beat most everybody because everyone that does quads and triple axel always makes a mistake or two.

Amei

Record Breaker
If Alina skates perfectly a word you used then she will beat most everybody because everyone that does quads and triple axel always makes a mistake or two.

I think depends heavily on what the technical content that Zagitova does looks like and it being done perfectly if she's not adding a quad or triple axel to her repertoire, but she would probably still need someone with a quad or triple axel to make more than 1 error to beat them. I don't remember too many competitions where Kostornaia made a large amount of errors, I remember Nationals where in the FS she had a couple of shaky landings and the fall at Europeans, but other than that just a few edge calls here and there. Shcherbakova while she did have falls at the GPF and at Europeans, she was able to still win the FS at both competitions because of the technical content that she does.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think depends heavily on what the technical content that Zagitova does looks like and it being done perfectly if she's not adding a quad or triple axel to her repertoire, but she would probably still need someone with a quad or triple axel to make more than 1 error to beat them. I don't remember too many competitions where Kostornaia made a large amount of errors, I remember Nationals where in the FS she had a couple of shaky landings and the fall at Europeans, but other than that just a few edge calls here and there. Shcherbakova while she did have falls at the GPF and at Europeans, she was able to still win the FS at both competitions because of the technical content that she does.

Aliona may not get the two grand prix events that Alina does and she can win those. But yes it would probably take a couple mistakes at least for a quad queen or triple axel princess for Alina to slip by them. But that's okay. If Alina wins that's great if she doesn't that's okay.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
That's up to a conversation, you say it easily but it's not obvious to me. It's different being miserable and different being under constant pressure. What Alina had was being under pressure and not miserable. By the way, she coped very well with her "misery".

“Miserable” Alina is: medaling at every competition post Olympics with gold at worlds one year, medaling at her GPs and making it to gpf another year. What a struggle... I bet many skaters in the world wish to struggle their way to gpf 3rd season in a row :)

zounger

Medalist
“Miserable” Alina is: medaling at every competition post Olympics with gold at worlds, medaling at her GPs and making it to gpf. What a struggle... I bet many skaters in the world wish to struggle their way to gpf 3rd season in a row :)

Maybe she would skate to "Les Miserables" to make some people happy.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
It was stated several times that Alina didn’t want to compete the season after the Olympics and also last season. Nobody is wishing for her not to come back. It would be good for the sport for her to return. I commented that she did seem miserable, something that was widely discussed on this board and elsewhere, including statements from her coach stating that several times she wanted didn’t want to skate. If she comes back, I’m hoping it’s for her own reasons and for herself.

It would be great for the sport for all the ladies to be in top form and skating to the best of their abilities.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
“Miserable” Alina is: medaling at every competition post Olympics with gold at worlds one year, medaling at her GPs and making it to gpf another year. What a struggle... I bet many skaters in the world wish to struggle their way to gpf 3rd season in a row :)

I don't remember her medaling at worlds in 2018 or following rusnats.

Anyways, if it does not work with Alina, they can always make Kamila change her name to Amila, to keep the tall of "3A" going lol

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

Anyways, if it does not work with Alina, they can always make Kamila change her name to Amila, to keep the tall of "3A" going lol

What a funny joke.
Ha ha ha.
You must be a comedian.

Finley

Record Breaker
It was stated several times that Alina didn’t want to compete the season after the Olympics and also last season. Nobody is wishing for her not to come back. It would be good for the sport for her to return. I commented that she did seem miserable, something that was widely discussed on this board and elsewhere, including statements from her coach stating that several times she wanted didn’t want to skate. If she comes back, I’m hoping it’s for her own reasons and for herself.

It would be great for the sport for all the ladies to be in top form and skating to the best of their abilities.

And it would be great for FS fans to be happy for them!

'Not fans' of Alina love to discuss how miserable she is, how injured, how tired, how her technique is failing her, how much worse her skating is getting, how she is mentally falling apart. It's exhausting, honestly. But everyone is entitled to their own depressing version of reality. GS is for opinions to be expressed and misery loves company.

No skater is happy when they aren't skating their best or when they don't do as well as they wish they had. Even if the end result is a podium finish. (See Sasha, Aliona, Zhenya etc.) We've seen lots of tears and long faces at competitions. It happens. For some reason when it happens to Alina it means that she is either in a hostage situation or indentured servitude.

There's no need for false positivity, but why not hope for the best for Alina? What is the point of hoping for anything else? I guess I could worry that she is being forced by her parents/coaches/sponsors/federation to skate against her will. If somebody wants to provide actual facts to back any of those claims up, then do it. The last thing I want to be is the kind of fan who ignores relevant information to justify my own delusions about my favorite skater.

"She looked sad after she didn't skate well" is a normal and correct reaction for her to have. No teenage girl is happy every minute (all of you know this) but that doesn't mean she is utterly miserable with her existence for the past two seasons.

macy

Record Breaker
And what a great way to cover your false assertion of her "medaling at every competition post Olympics"

i'm sure it was an honest mistake, after all Alina medaled at all but 3 competitions, domestic and international, following the olympics until she announced her break. that's a huge accomplishment and nothing to scoff at.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Liza T, Nagasu come to mind. They got their triple axels later in life - if you call 18 or even 22 or whatever late. A lot depends on her body changes, strength, determination, health. I am usually not a huge fan of changing countries because then it becomes really buying your spot or rather often buying your spot to the olympics essentially. However, in the case of the current Russians they are worthy entries and potential top ten. I guess I should be careful it is not that non top ten aren't worthy to go to the olympics. It is just it literally seems people's affinity to a nation has little to do with national pride but personal desires /interests.

lesnar001

Record Breaker

What a funny joke.
Ha ha ha.
You must be a comedian.

And what a great way to cover your false assertion of her "medaling at every competition post Olympics"

Well didn't she win a "small medal" at 2018 Worlds????
So - zanadude, in the interest of fairness, why don't you also "call out" the OP for their FALSE ASSERTION? :confused2:

Unless, you are not really concerned with accuracy, as would be my suspicion based on your insulting post a few days ago.
Just my opinion. YMMV.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
For goodness sake, can't people leave her to make her own decision in her own time and for her own reasons, which she is under no obligation to share - and yes, change her decision if she wants to later? She owes absolutely no one to stay - and absolutely no one else to go.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am not sure whether we will have a next season of figure skating. The virus is not going to die down anytime soon, at least in the US, and the World is so much interconnected. The only hope is a working vaccine that can is available to the majority of the population. I believe returning next season is possible, but in two years highly unlikely.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

LOL :D

That was about the “Amila” joke, which demonstrated the amazing sense of humor I’ve never seen before.

I was talking about the seasons, should’ve been more clear (although I did write “one season” and “the other season”), and I never usually take nationals competitions into account by default, but if people want to be picky, there’s an explanation to a “very big mistake” in my comment.

Scott512

Record Breaker

I think you got 2018 and 2019 worlds mixed up. Nuss never said 2018.

We know you're being a wise girl. But actually Alina did medal at Worlds 2018 she got a silver for the short program. How soon they forget. ;)