2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 147 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballerina

Rinkside
What is the benefit to Eteri from her burnout which supposedly was the reason for her mistakes in the individual event ?
Where is the logic in that ?

Oh, there's PERFECT logic in that !
First of all, there was no 100% guarantee that Yulia would even win the individual gold, mostly because of Yuna Kim and Mao Asada. However, there was almost a 100% guarantee that Russia would win the team gold. So, in case both Yulia and Adelina competed in the team event, it was expected that Adelina would win the SP and Yulia would win the FP. It was rather unlikely that Adelina would lose to anyone in the SP, other than maybe Mao Asada. Therefore chances were that both girls would contribute EQUALLY to the team gold. But even if Adelina came in 2nd in her section of the competition, she would still end up on the podium, with a gold medal around her neck. And that's a huge problem for Tutberidze ! Why would she want HER skater to share the limelight with another girl ?! Lipnitskaya was the poster girl of Sochi Olympics - remember the cover of "Time" magazine... Lipnitskaya HAD to be the ONLY girl with a gold medal, whatever the cost. HER, Tutberidze, had to be the ONLY girl's coach who won Olympic gold ! (I mean, no one saw it coming that Adelina could eventually win over Yulia.)
Besides, there's a long-standing belief that there's "cold war" between Eteri Tutberidze and Elena Buyanova, Adelina's coach. (I'm not gonna delve into the details of this rumor, because I don't know whether that's true.) So, it may or may not have been a problem for Tutberidze that the other girl was Adelina IN PARTICULAR.

So, what do we do about it ? Get rid of Adelina. So simple... Tutberidze personally called the Russian Minister of Sports and asked to "please don't let them [the federation] exclude my skater from the team event !!" But that was never the plan - for one girl to skate both programs. Basically, she misled him... Not knowing what's going on, he asked her just in case - what if Yulia had to skate both programs, would she be ready ? She promised that Yulia would... So he gave an order which the federation couldn't defy, and Adelina was kicked out at the last minute.
The rest is history...
Like one commenter just said (~ 2 posts above): "They rode their fastest horse until she dropped."
Tutberidze rode her fastest horse until she dropped. Obviously, she believed that Yulia wouldn't drop just yet, in the middle of the Olympics. She clearly counted on Yulia dropping a bit later. But, she had Medvedeva for that, so... who cares ?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
First of all, there was no 100% guarantee that Yulia would even win the individual gold, mostly because of Yuna Kim and Mao Asada. However, there was almost a 100% guarantee that Russia would win the team gold. So, in case both Yulia and Adelina competed in the team event, it was expected that Adelina would win the SP and Yulia would win the FP. It was rather unlikely that Adelina would lose to anyone in the SP, other than maybe Mao Asada. Therefore chances were that both girls would contribute EQUALLY to the team gold. But even if Adelina came in 2nd in her section of the competition, she would still end up on the podium, with a gold medal around her neck. And that's a huge problem for Tutberidze ! Why would she want HER skater to share the limelight with another girl ?! Lipnitskaya was the poster girl of Sochi Olympics - remember the cover of "Time" magazine... Lipnitskaya HAD to be the ONLY girl with a gold medal, whatever the cost. HER, Tutberidze, had to be the ONLY girl's coach who won Olympic gold ! (I mean, no one saw it coming that Adelina could eventually win over Yulia.)
Besides, there's a long-standing belief that there's "cold war" between Eteri Tutberidze and Elena Buyanova, Adelina's coach. (I'm not gonna delve into the details of this rumor, because I don't know whether that's true.) So, it may or may not have been a problem for Tutberidze that the other girl was Adelina IN PARTICULAR.

So, what do we do about it ? Get rid of Adelina. So simple... Tutberidze personally called the Russian Minister of Sports and asked to "please don't let them [the federation] exclude my skater from the team event !!" But that was never the plan - for one girl to skate both programs. Basically, she misled him... Not knowing what's going on, he asked her just in case - what if Yulia had to skate both programs, would she be ready ? She promised that Yulia would... So he gave an order which the federation couldn't defy, and Adelina was kicked out at the last minute.
The rest is history...
Like one commenter just said (~ 2 posts above): "They rode their fastest horse until she dropped."
Tutberidze rode her fastest horse until she dropped. Obviously, she believed that Yulia wouldn't drop just yet, in the middle of the Olympics. She clearly counted on Yulia dropping a bit later. But, she had Medvedeva for that, so... who cares ?

Lmao about the Russian minister part XD

Adelina had problems with her SP all season, she tried to go for Lz-Lo not landing it cleanly even once, and went on to have a waxel at TEB on top of that. She switched to 3T-3T because she couldn’t skate a clean SP with her previous content, so being clean in SP and winning it wasn’t guaranteed for Adelina at all.

Yulia on the other hand had flawless SPs with 3Lz-3T and 3F all season long.

Also, Yulia got this international love and attention not because she skated in the team event. She’s just a beautiful skater, who had really beautiful and memorable programs, which attracted attention: girl in the red coat in Schindler‘s list, and her lyrical short program .
+ her being only 15 as well as her spins being exceptional, made her stand out from the rest.
I will argue that whether or not Adelina would’ve skated the short, Yulia still would’ve been the highlight of the whole event with her LP and got the same amount of attention.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDbFO8ZoYfQ/

Trusova has another new sponsor- Dear friends, I would like to announce that I started my cooperation with Graziella & Bracciallini. This is my favorite Italian brand. Happy to start this journey with my Italian friends. Thanks to my team and the Graviella & Braciallini team for making this happen!

klena

On the Ice

Trusova has another new sponsor- Dear friends, I would like to announce that I started my cooperation with Graziella & Bracciallini. This is my favorite Italian brand. Happy to start this journey with my Italian friends. Thanks to my team and the Graviella & Braciallini team for making this happen!

This proves that the only reason why the girls went to Plushenko is money and contracts. It's a pity.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
This proves that the only reason why the girls went to Plushenko is money and contracts. It's a pity.
Where does that prove it is the only reason? [emoji2356][emoji2356]is it one of the reason ? Yes probably,. But the only one? Dont think so.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T813 mit Tapatalk

Fried

Final Flight
Are you talking about evidence? Any judge would laugh at you. It should have been crystal clear that the transition also brought sponsorship contracts with it. This is not a problem. That is an advantage.

Scott512

Record Breaker

The rest is history...
I was so pissed off when Adelina did not skate the SP in the team event I could not believe it. No question political behind-the-scenes dirty deeds were done against this girl. But it only pissed Adelina off and she came back with a vengeance and the individual event while Yulia was burned out. My guess is that Yulia always blames her coach for her performance in the individual event for making her skate both programs and practicing for both and then taking her far away from the Olympic site to do training between the team event and the individual event. Their relationship was never the same after that. And I'm sure Yulia was very guilty about Adelina not getting a team gold. Adelina could've fallen twice in her short program and Russia still would have won the team event gold.

Congrats to $asha. How many endorsements is this for her since she arrived at Plushenko Academy? 2? 3? Are we supposed to believe Aliona does not notice these things and was not in contact with Sasha about what's going on there? I wish them well at plushenko Academy and for major successes and earning as much money as they possibly can because their careers are so short.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

Why do you think so? I don't beleive that was the only reason. You and me must wait and will see. That is not "pity" if a skater receieves a complet package. Good trainings and sponsors. That is good for the skater.

eliana

On the Ice
Why do you think so? I don't beleive that was the only reason. You and me must wait and will see. That is not "pity" if a skater receieves a complet package. Good trainings and sponsors. That is good for the skater.

Excellent! I want all these little girls to benefit from strong sponsors. They work so hard and are worth every penny

ruga

Final Flight
This is one, but not the only reason. If the girls were completely satisfied in Eteri's team, they wouldn't have left for promises of contracts.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

Good for Sasha! :clap:
She had new 3 endorsement deals in the past few months, aside from her Adidas sponsorship, that's a lot and seems like everything is going great, her hard work in finally paying off. :hap10:

ballerina

Rinkside
Lmao about the Russian minister part XD

Adelina had problems with her SP all season, she tried to go for Lz-Lo not landing it cleanly even once, and went on to have a waxel at TEB on top of that. She switched to 3T-3T because she couldn’t skate a clean SP with her previous content, so being clean in SP and winning it wasn’t guaranteed for Adelina at all.

Yulia on the other hand had flawless SPs with 3Lz-3T and 3F all season long.

Also, Yulia got this international love and attention not because she skated in the team event. She’s just a beautiful skater, who had really beautiful and memorable programs, which attracted attention: girl in the red coat in Schindler‘s list, and her lyrical short program .
+ her being only 15 as well as her spins being exceptional, made her stand out from the rest.
I will argue that whether or not Adelina would’ve skated the short, Yulia still would’ve been the highlight of the whole event with her LP and got the same amount of attention.

You are right regarding Adelina's issues during the 1st half of the Olympic season. She had barely overcome puberty and struggled a lot. However, the last 2 competitions before the Olympics - Russian Nationals and Europeans - she actually won the SP over Yulia both times... She was 2.2 points better than Yulia in the SP at Nationals, and she also won overall, becoming the Russian national champion for the 4th time, going into the Olympics. At Europeans, again, she won the SP over Yulia, 70.73 vs. 69.97, although she did lose overall.

Was it "guaranteed" that Adelina would have skated a clean short program in the team event and won ? No, it wasn't, because nothing is ever "guaranteed" at the Olympics. Ice is slippery, you know... However, there was a REASON to believe that Adelina was ALSO capable of skating a decent SP, not ONLY Yulia was capable of doing that - because Adelina had DONE that the last 2 times when it mattered, therefore she could reasonably expect to be considered for competing in this segment of the Olympic team event.

Furthermore, it was not sooo extremely important whether Adelina won the SP or not, because Russia knew they had some safety cushion. The whole point of the initial plan, to let both girls skate one program each in the team event, was completely different. The culmination of the figure skating event at Sochi was supposed to be the ladies singles event, where Russia expected for both girls to land on the podium, with Yulia taking the gold. Therefore, the federation wanted to prepare BOTH of these 2 young skaters as much as possible - give some Olympic experience before the individual event - get out the jitters, but do NOT BURN OUT either one of them, by making one girl skate 2 programs. See what happened when they were forced to scratch this plan...

I never said Yulia wouldn't have gotten the love and international attention unless she skated in the team event... In fact, I pointed out exactly the opposite - Yulia already was the poster girl for the Olympics BEFORE the Sochi games had even begun ! She was on the cover of "Time" magazine before the Olympics. But again, that's beside the point... The point is - what does all the love, international attention etc. etc. for Yulia actually matter for Tutberidze...? For Tutberidze, it's Tutberidze who matters ! That's ALL that matters ! Why not become the ONLY golden girl's coach when you have such an opportunity ?! Look what's going on now... She's never wrong. She basically never shares credit with anyone else, such as previous coaches of the girls who arrive at Tutberidze's camp with all of the triples ready, otherwise she doesn't accept them. Nothing is ever her fault. It's always the fault of the girls - who miraculously turn into spoiled brats in one second, the moment they decide to change coaches...

(BTW, do you even know that years ago Anna Scherbakova was kicked out of Tutberidze's camp for some time, until she learned all of the triples ON HER OWN...? Tutberidze had no interest in wasting time and teaching her. Anna was left without a rink. If she hadn't been extremely lucky - her parents could afford to pay for private lessons and ice time - she would have had no choice but retire ! Now she's the leading senior star in Tutberidze's camp (other than Zagitova whose future is unclear). So much for Tutberidze's ability to recognize talent...)

As soon as someone dares to cross Tutberidze's path, the girl gets thrown under the bus. Over and over again. Shelepen, Lipnitskaya, Medvedeva, Tsurskaya, Panenkova, [I probably forgot some more], now Trusova and Kostornaia. In the latest post about Kostornaia leaving, there was NO REASON for Tutberidze to go back all those years and write that scornful remark about Lipnitskaya. Lipnitskaya has a 1-month old baby at the moment. She hasn't given a single interview in several years. She has basically NEVER said anything bad about Tutberidze at all. How about some basic HUMAN DECENCY on the part of Tutberidze and leaving Lipnitskaya alone...? Nope.

Amei

Record Breaker
I was so pissed off when Adelina did not skate the SP in the team event I could not believe it. No question political behind-the-scenes dirty deeds were done against this girl. But it only pissed Adelina off and she came back with a vengeance and the individual event while Yulia was burned out. My guess is that Yulia always blames her coach for her performance in the individual event for making her skate both programs and practicing for both and then taking her far away from the Olympic site to do training between the team event and the individual event. Their relationship was never the same after that. And I'm sure Yulia was very guilty about Adelina not getting a team gold. Adelina could've fallen twice in her short program and Russia still would have won the team event gold.

I highly doubt politics favored into Lipnitskaia getting both programs at the team event vs. splitting with Sotnikova from what I remember Sotnikova was with CSKA a Fed favorite club and it's not like Eteri had a huge track record of champions in 2014 like she does now; so if politicking determined the ladies skater it makes more sense that they would have picked Sotnikova.

remember that countries are only able to substitute 2 disciplines in the team event, Russia chose pairs and the ice dancers; pairs made sense to not wear out 1 team since pairs was the next event after the Team event and Ice dance was a weak discipline for Russia. Sotnikova was always a wild card on how well she would perform, Russia didn't need another questionable discipline knowing that ice dance was weak and no one was really sure what Plushenko was going to be able to do. Lipnitskaia won both GP events and placed ahead of Sotnikova at GPF and Europeans, having very few mistakes all season, it made sense for her to be the anchor of the team event.

. Adelina could've fallen twice in her short program and Russia still would have won the team event gold.

Umm, probably not, per my comment above, there are a lot of reasonable factors in why Sotnikova wasn't picked that did not involve favoritism of Lipnitskaia.

. And I'm sure Yulia was very guilty about Adelina not getting a team gold.

Why would or should she feel guilty about that, she had no control over who was selected to skate the event? That's like saying that Zagitova should feel guilty that she scored over top of Medvedeva in the individual event in 2018 or that a skater should feel guilty that the judging panel didn't call a wrong edge on a jump.

ballerina

Rinkside
Umm, probably not, per my comment above, there are a lot of reasonable factors in why Sotnikova wasn't picked that did not involve favoritism of Lipnitskaia.

But she WAS picked... The federation picked Sotnikova for the SP ! (There was supposed to be only one ice dance team.) Adelina was preparing for the team event, until about a week before the team event. Then, she was abruptly dropped from the team. Even then, when it had been announced that Yulia would skate both programs, Adelina was ordered to come to Sochi for the ladies SP and to be ready to replace Yulia if that was deemed necessary at the very last moment (the evening before).
Tutberidze ADMITTED that she had personally called the Minister of Sports and talked to him about Yulia skating both programs.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Tutberidze ADMITTED that she had personally called the Minister of Sports and talked to him about Yulia skating both programs.

She did? Fascinating. You have any links for that?

Personally, for me the issue was always crystal clear, though I admit I wasn‘t really a hardcore fan back then. Adelina was known to be inconsistent, Yulia had been showing clean program after program all season long. RusFed wanted the Gold, thus they had Yulia do both SP and FS. But maybe it was more complicated than that. :shrug:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
You are right regarding Adelina's issues during the 1st half of the Olympic season. She had barely overcome puberty and struggled a lot. However, the last 2 competitions before the Olympics - Russian Nationals and Europeans - she actually won the SP over Yulia both times... She was 2.2 points better than Yulia in the SP at Nationals, and she also won overall, becoming the Russian national champion for the 4th time, going into the Olympics. At Europeans, again, she won the SP over Yulia, 70.73 vs. 69.97, although she did lose overall.

Was it "guaranteed" that Adelina would have skated a clean short program in the team event and won ? No, it wasn't, because nothing is ever "guaranteed" at the Olympics. Ice is slippery, you know... However, there was a REASON to believe that Adelina was ALSO capable of skating a decent SP, not ONLY Yulia was capable of doing that - because Adelina had DONE that the last 2 times when it mattered, therefore she could reasonably expect to be considered for competing in this segment of the Olympic team event.

Furthermore, it was not sooo extremely important whether Adelina won the SP or not, because Russia knew they had some safety cushion. The whole point of the initial plan, to let both girls skate one program each in the team event, was completely different. The culmination of the figure skating event at Sochi was supposed to be the ladies singles event, where Russia expected for both girls to land on the podium, with Yulia taking the gold. Therefore, the federation wanted to prepare BOTH of these 2 young skaters as much as possible - give some Olympic experience before the individual event - get out the jitters, but do NOT BURN OUT either one of them, by making one girl skate 2 programs. See what happened when they were forced to scratch this plan...

It's the same logic with Kovtun, imo. You're arguing that Adelina had a probability of skating clean, and if she didn't they would still win, but that's really not how it was in Sochi.
Same could've been argued about Kovtun, but he too wasn't a very reliable option, although he won nationals. They cut him off because they believed he was a risk, same fate awaited Adelina.
There were too many questionable variables aside from Adelina, so they HAD to have someone with a clean SP and FS for ladies.

I never said Yulia wouldn't have gotten the love and international attention unless she skated in the team event... In fact, I pointed out exactly the opposite - Yulia already was the poster girl for the Olympics BEFORE the Sochi games had even begun ! She was on the cover of "Time" magazine before the Olympics. But again, that's beside the point... The point is - what does all the love, international attention etc. etc. for Yulia actually matter for Tutberidze...? For Tutberidze, it's Tutberidze who matters ! That's ALL that matters ! Why not become the ONLY golden girl's coach when you have such an opportunity ?! Look what's going on now... She's never wrong. She basically never shares credit with anyone else, such as previous coaches of the girls who arrive at Tutberidze's camp with all of the triples ready, otherwise she doesn't accept them. Nothing is ever her fault. It's always the fault of the girls - who miraculously turn into spoiled brats in one second, the moment they decide to change coaches...

You basically said that Tutberidze orchestrated Yulia to be the sole female singles skater at Sochi, because that would've put Yulia in spotlight. Now you're saying it happened even before the games? So Yulia basically didn't need to wear herself out, she still would've gotten the same spotlight. Again, that's a pointless argument to begin with. It wouldn't have made any difference to Yulia whether or not Adelina skated in the SP.

(BTW, do you even know that years ago Anna Scherbakova was kicked out of Tutberidze's camp for some time, until she learned all of the triples ON HER OWN...? Tutberidze had no interest in wasting time and teaching her. Anna was left without a rink. If she hadn't been extremely lucky - her parents could afford to pay for private lessons and ice time - she would have had no choice but retire ! No she's the leading senior star in Tutberidze's camp (other than Zagitova whose future is unclear). So much for Tutberidze's ability to recognize talent...)

As far as I know Anna never mentioned anything of this sort, and it's not some dirty evil secret to be hidden: if the core team is busy with top senior and junior athletes, it wouldn't make sense to spend that time to work on novices on their doubles and triples. There are other coaches who generally take care of younger talent. Perhaps at that stage they didn't have someone like Sergej Rozanov, who would've done that job for them and didn't have time themselves.
Those basic things are taught by coaches of other levels. You don't go to university professor and ask him to explain you basic math of 4th grade, right?
Shouldn't be a secret that Tutberidze probably doesn't spend any time with novices right now as well and only makes checks throughout the year, they would be trained by other coaches.

- - - Updated - - -

with rippon too! incredible!

SkateSkates

Medalist
Status
Not open for further replies.