Alexandra Trusova switching from Tutberidze to Plushenko | Page 34 | Golden Skate

Alexandra Trusova switching from Tutberidze to Plushenko

Ifwe

Rinkside
As for PCS, Sasha has been working with Maria Borovikova in Denis Samokhin's group. This is a dance group so I can't think what she might be working on there other than components. Samokhin's students tend to have good skating skills.
i have heard it too probably she’s working with them to improve her pcs

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
According to the documentary, Sasha moved to Plushenko to skate with quads cleanly and consistently, not to put 1000 quads in and fall all over the place.

What about the 3Axel? Any word at all about it? It's such a valuable thing to have, because of being able to use it in the SP. Training that element along with 3 Quads in the LP is pretty much the same in base value as going for a 5 Quad LP but no 3Axel in either program, and the 3Axel provides even further benefit of giving a competitor a lead in the SP and thus influencing judges' perception heading into the LP.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Even without considering the SP, 3A's more valuable than a second quad for several reasons:

1. It can replace a 2Axel, often granting a higher point gain than you'd get with a quad replacing a triple
2. It can be repeated in a combination along with a quad, so even for just a free skate with only knowing 1 quad and 3A you can do 4 technical jumpingelements, which is often going to earn a higher score than a person with 3 quads can.

Considering the SP advantage as well, the skaters really should try to prioritize 3A very high. I too am curious about Trusova's plans regarding it.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Even without considering the SP, 3A's more valuable than a second quad for several reasons:

1. It can replace a 2Axel, often granting a higher point gain than you'd get with a quad replacing a triple
2. It can be repeated in a combination along with a quad, so even for just a free skate with only knowing 1 quad and 3A you can do 4 technical jumpingelements, which is often going to earn a higher score than a person with 3 quads can.

Considering the SP advantage as well, the skaters really should try to prioritize 3A very high. I too am curious about Trusova's plans regarding it.

IMO the advantage of 3A for ladies is that you can have one in SP and two in FS, while if you have two quads that grant you three ultra-c elements, like Anna for instance, you have to put them all into free program, which is raising the probability of an error. On the other hand even with a smaller error you have still some advantage like Anna in Russian nationals. Of course having let's say 3A and one quad can be more advantageous than two quads.

For Sasha, if she would gain stable 3A, it could be advantageous to do just the one in SP and then two or three quads in the free without 3A.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
IMO the advantage of 3A for ladies is that you can have one in SP and two in FS, while if you have two quads that grant you three ultra-c elements, like Anna for instance, you have to put them all into free program, which is raising the probability of an error. On the other hand even with a smaller error you have still some advantage like Anna in Russian nationals. Of course having let's say 3A and one quad can be more advantageous than two quads.

For Sasha, if she would gain stable 3A, it could be advantageous to do just the one in SP and then two or three quads in the free without 3A.

Why? If Sasha gets a stable 3A, why is it not profitable to replace 2A with 3A in FP ? The difference in BV is great, what could be the problem?

readernick

Medalist
Why? If Sasha gets a stable 3A, why is it not profitable to replace 2A with 3A in FP ? The difference in BV is great, what could be the problem?

I agree. If you can rotate a 3A (even if it isn't that consistent) including it in the LP is worth it, because the BV is so much higher than a 2A. If Sasha gets a solid 3A, she would be stupid to not include at least one in her LP.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
What about the 3Axel? Any word at all about it? It's such a valuable thing to have, because of being able to use it in the SP. Training that element along with 3 Quads in the LP is pretty much the same in base value as going for a 5 Quad LP but no 3Axel in either program, and the 3Axel provides even further benefit of giving a competitor a lead in the SP and thus influencing judges' perception heading into the LP.
They've been training 3A, obviously, but no idea how successful it's been. Sasha seems to be a bit like Nathan Chen in terms of being better at toe jumps and not really loving the 3A. A girl with both a 3A and a quad will be hard to stop, but so far we have none who have even reached juniors.

Resa

On the Ice
They've been training 3A, obviously, but no idea how successful it's been. Sasha seems to be a bit like Nathan Chen in terms of being better at toe jumps and not really loving the 3A. A girl with both a 3A and a quad will be hard to stop, but so far we have none who have even reached juniors.

Well, maybe we will se Tuktamysheva doing it this season

silveruskate

On the Ice

And the final advantage of a 3A is that you can repeat both a Quad and a 3A, but not 2 Quads.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
And the final advantage of a 3A is that you can repeat both a Quad and a 3A, but not 2 Quads.

This is just not obvious. The repetition of two 3Ainstead two 3Lz with a good GOE does not do much good when compared to the loss for error 3А.

Arbitrary

Medalist
The absolute advantage of 3A the skater may get rid of 2X jumps totally.

Like Tuktamisheva first did in 2015.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Considering just the long program alone, it would be asking quite a bit of Alexandra to do 4 quads AND one or two triple Axels. Even Super-woman has to rest in between leaping tall buildings in a single bound.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Considering just the long program alone, it would be asking quite a bit of Alexandra to do 4 quads AND one or two triple Axels. Even Super-woman has to rest in between leaping tall buildings in a single bound.

This is where PCS becomes very important. When Sasha was the only one doing quads she was pretty much guaranteed a win if she went clean with 2 quads, which she is more than capable of doing. The issue now is that her competitors have are closing the technical gap faster than she is closing the component gap.

The risk is much higher for the more TES-heavy skater, which is why although Sasha has never been my favourite, I agree with the quads having such a high BV. Sure, if she can land her four quads and two 3As, there's no way that Alena or Anna could touch her with their technical content. But it's an enormous task, and if she falls, her TES drops much more rapidly than Alena and Anna's PCS. Regardless of any mistakes by the latter two, their PCS will never drop 20+ points, but Sasha's TES can. That's the balance of it: there is a maximum PCS ceiling which limits PCS-heavy skaters, but even though TES doesn't have that kind of upper limit, the % drop is much higher for errors.

That's why the rivalry between these 3 ladies is interesting. They have very different strengths, and the scoring system favours both TES/PCS and the outcome depends on how much they lean towards either side, and how they perform. Which is what makes it a competitive sport.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
^I agree with the risk-taking part. But I do think if Trusova just did 3 quads + 1 triple axel in the LP, she'd be able to show overall skating better.

zounger

Medalist
I don’t see particular rivalry between Trusova and the other two for this season. Trusova is ahead of them by a margin.

Arbitrary

Medalist
I don’t see particular rivalry between Trusova and the other two for this season. Trusova is ahead of them by a margin.
Please define "this season". The new one starting Sept 2020? No margin due to no season yet.
The previous season was disastrous for her...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

zounger

Medalist
I didn't see a single run of Sasha, neither of her competitors. For now she's the first among others in terms of the dog adoption.

The easy part in Russian ladies skating is you don’t need to see them skate to know how they will do.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The easy part in Russian ladies skating is you don’t need to see them skate to know how they will do.

Or rather, to think you know. Didn't the same people all know - before seeing them skate - that Trusova would sweep the field last season?