2020-21 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2020-21 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder why they don't pair TJ with Haley Scott?
I don't know, as I don't know anything about Haley Scott. I just read an article about her from 2018. Is she skating pairs? Is she still skating at Wesley Chapel, Florida?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you know that if you click on the flag, you get a google map showing the country? I was expecting a close-up of the flag, which is colourful indeed.

that is the coolest thing, I did not know that! Along with a little description of the country.

perfect for folks like me, who are flag challenged. (y)

back to our regularly scheduled pairs.... :)

katymay

Medalist
I don't know, as I don't know anything about Haley Scott. I just read an article about her from 2018. Is she skating pairs? Is she still skating at Wesley Chapel, Florida?
She just competed in the Convoluted Points Thing -on USFSA-she skated singles and pairs-powerful jumper, very tiny girl-even the rough pairs program she skated (sorry can't remember the guy) you can tell she will be spectacular with the right person.

Dogo

On the Ice
Calalang & Johnson SP Opt 2 looks SO SO amazing!!! 😍 I re-watched both again and noticed that on the 2nd try their posture is more on point and prolonged longer, the components are cleaner, and the attention to the timing of musical accents and transitions are to die for! (Chefs' kiss*) I can tell they are feeling the music and it was SO enjoyable to watch amazing skating matched with a great music selection! I even think this can be an ideal SP for the Olympics. (Ugh I also looove their costumes: her belt is matching her hair color and the shirt' neck portion looks great on him). I will be super biased (sorry I love them) and say this program can keep growing and compete internationally for podium places. Fingers crossed they remain injury free!!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Calalang & Johnson SP Opt 2 looks SO SO amazing!!! 😍 I re-watched both again and noticed that on the 2nd try their posture is more on point and prolonged longer, the components are cleaner, and the attention to the timing of musical accents and transitions are to die for! (Chefs' kiss*) I can tell they are feeling the music and it was SO enjoyable to watch amazing skating matched with a great music selection! I even think this can be an ideal SP for the Olympics. (Ugh I also looove their costumes: her belt is matching her hair color and the shirt' neck portion looks great on him). I will be super biased (sorry I love them) and say this program can keep growing and compete internationally for podium places. Fingers crossed they remain injury free!!
All of this, PLUS the twist in the FP was HUGE, and timed with a nice swoopy part of the music, too.

The had a hitch or two on one of the jumps and a throw (if I'm remembering correctly). Was this the music they skate to in Opp 1? I can't recall.

But the big story, at least for me, is that they LOOK like they belong on podiums now. Faster, stronger, more confident. I am so impressed. They may have caught some people by surprise last year, but if they stay on this trajectory, it won't be a surprise to anyone.

In a way, this situation reminds me of when US Dance was a weak discipline until Igor started collecting the top teams to train together in one rink. Maybe Jenny and Todd are going to follow this track with pairs. Whatever is happening in that camp is a good thing.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
All of this, PLUS the twist in the FP was HUGE, and timed with a nice swoopy part of the music, too.

The had a hitch or two on one of the jumps and a throw (if I'm remembering correctly). Was this the music they skate to in Opp 1? I can't recall.

But the big story, at least for me, is that they LOOK like they belong on podiums now. Faster, stronger, more confident. I am so impressed. They may have caught some people by surprise last year, but if they stay on this trajectory, it won't be a surprise to anyone.

In a way, this situation reminds me of when US Dance was a weak discipline until Igor started collecting the top teams to train together in one rink. Maybe Jenny and Todd are going to follow this track with pairs. Whatever is happening in that camp is a good thing.

They will become the next alexa and chris. Tons of potential but never landing jumps to push them to where they need to be? they'll fizzle out in the end.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They will become the next alexa and chris. Tons of potential but never landing jumps to push them to where they need to be? they'll fizzle out in the end.
Time will tell. The SP was very clean. The FP is new... the 3T were landed nicely... 3S (which they landed in the SP) looked as though they got crowded against the boards and she fell.

I prefer to keep a positive outlook on things until time proves otherwise. Have you watched their performances? There's a lot there to be hopeful about.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
Time will tell. The SP was very clean. The FP is new... the 3T were landed nicely... 3S (which they landed in the SP) looked as though they got crowded against the boards and she fell.

I prefer to keep a positive outlook on things until time proves otherwise. Have you watched their performances? There's a lot there to be hopeful about.
Yes but negativity and expecting people to fail is way more fun. Then you can be pleasantly suprised if it happens.

readernick

Medalist
:popcorn:The biggest question for me is why are all the US pairs’ men now sporting ponytails. Why is this a trend? Did they have a meeting about it? Is it some type of inside joke? I have so many questions.

sandjohnson

Rinkside
:popcorn:The biggest question for me is why are all the US pairs’ men now sporting ponytails. Why is this a trend? Did they have a meeting about it? Is it some type of inside joke? I have so many questions.
I have wondered that also. It keeps the hair out of their eyes, but it is not my favorite hairstyle for men.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, as young adult of the 70s, I like long hair on guys so I sent them the memo:LOL:

More seriously, how many train in Cali? I think there may still be restrictions on hair salons? Or maybe they just like their quarantine hair. :)

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Yeah, Calalang/Johnson were definitely the class of the field. I couldn't look away from the FS...which is saying somthing, given that all these are pre-recorded skates with no audience or fanfare.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:cry::cry::cry:

But I wish them the best of luck as well with their new partners. I also can't get used to Nate not in Florida. Come to think of it, I can't get used to Jim P. and Amanda not in Florida either😄
Do we know where Nate and Katie are training now and with whom?

gold12345

Medalist

On the 3T, Jessica fell and under-rotated, and Brian had a hand down. On the 3S, Jessica turned out of it. They didn't land a clean jump in either LP during this Virtual Series and her rotations are sometimes questionable, but the US judges are showering them with points, so they're doing something right. This year's LP is a good step forward from last year's. Their throws definitely lack in size, distance, and flow, so I'm not sure I agree with the big score they got today even with national judging (it's hard to decipher without any protocols), but the rest of their pair elements have gotten very strong, especially the twist. I remember watching them a couple years ago at a Sr B and they were such a disaster that I actually felt sorry for them, and it's great to see the progress.

I'm also hoping for continued good progress from the new pair of Alexa & Brandon. I strongly believe Alexa is one of the finest and most athletic pair skaters in the world, and Brandon needs some time to catch up to her. He's not used to throwing a massive twist, but they've changed his technique so that he could potentially throw a massive twist down the road. Their twist is good so far, but I think Brandon has potential to be really strong at it once he has more practice with the new technique.

The Knierim/Frazier partnership just started and they're still in a learning stage, but they skated as well as they did 2 weeks ago with strong 3Ts in both programs and the best throw of the event in the LP (a big throw 3Lo), so that's a great sign. Among the top US pairs, I think they definitely will be the most reliable at jumps, but they're not fully ready yet. There's still things to be worked out and they're leaving a lot of points on the table. But it will be refreshing to have a top US pair that can land the jumps consistently without any underrotations. Hopefully they'll reach their full potential eventually, but right now they're still learning to do elements together. They're doing a great job, but they also have to have great patience, because it must be weird for Alexa to go from being able to do a strong Throw 3F in her sleep with Chris to now learning how to do one with Brandon. I hope she didn't get hurt on that throw, it didn't look bad but she was slow to get up. But they look a lot better than most pairs would after 4-5 months skating together. And they had good results here.

Do we know where Nate and Katie are training now and with whom?

They are with Meno & Sand in southern California.

I wonder why they don't pair TJ with Haley Scott?

She is 14 and looks much younger, closer to 10 years old. She has hardly any pairs experience, doesn't seem that fond of toe jumps, and TJ seems short on patience. He's also a grown adult, and with the happenings in recent years in the skating world, it would be nice if we could refrain from pairing grown men with little girls with huge age gaps. That used to be common in pairs, but it has gotten much less so in recent years, which has been a very good change.

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Danny and Tarah were in Canton, MI and we could see Jim Peterson there. Any official word?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks @gold12345 for the correction on C/J. I may have gotten the jumps reversed - my post was written from memory.

I am in agreement with you on K/F. This looks like a very strong pairing so early in their partnership.

These two pairs have set themselves apart, at least this early in the season.