2020 Skate America: Ladies' SP | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2020 Skate America: Ladies' SP

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Mariah had a flat edge on the flip which should have been called, and maybe an edge call on the lutz as well (they didn't call it, but I think they should have)
They didn’t give the proper calls to any of the top names. Yet Audrey had to be flawless for that score. She had the best jumps of the night period and performed well too. Annoying.

Lissy

Medalist
Bradie has a lovely speaking voice and has become a great interviewee but she needs to watch how often she says "um"

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
I usually prefer Bell, but I don't like that program. It feels like repeating choreo from a more powerful upbeat piece of music.

I actually preferred Bradie here, although I don't know if the actual choreo is great, the idea of the program is a good match. Benoit's choreo just misses the mark a bit.

I think both Bradie and Mariah UR their 3Ts. They should both have been called. Clearly, Mariah has federation support.
Bradie showed much more of skating within the elements than Maria did. I don't see how her SS, TR and CO scores can be lower, but oh well...
EDIT: Oh, they actually did give Bradie 0.05 points more in transitions, so good job judges :devil:

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
They didn’t give the proper calls to any of the top names. Yet Audrey had to be flawless for that score. She had the best jumps of the night period and performed well too. Annoying.
Not sure actually. I thought some of her jumps looked UR, too. She also isn't yet deserving of high PCS. The performance quality isn't there yet. Mariah and Bradie (a bit) were overscored, but Audrey's score was correct imho.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was a good first event, if you ignore the canned applause and the creepy cutouts (yes, I know they were bought for charity, which is great).

I miss seeing the skaters interact with their coaches in the KnC. Surely if all wear masks, couldn't they sit with them? Such a contrast with the Russian comps.

It's a shame about Gracie and sorry that Starr popped her loop, but most of the ladies did their best. I think I enjoyed Amber's performance the most (even with the turnout on her combo). Mariah's SP is growing on me and her costume is gorgeous. I like Bradie's FATM program but she needs a new hairstyle (as we've been saying). Audrey was the surprise here and a well deserved 3rd place.

Mariah surely is the judges fave, and I expect her to win here unless she messes up her ABBA program (which I pray has revised music cuts!).

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Ooh I LOVE that idea! I think she would look stunning with a strawberry blonde.
Like Russian Ice Dancer Tiffany Zagorski!!
Also, she has such long lovely hair a slicked back minimal ponytail might be nice to match the lines of the catsuit. Alexa K rocked that look several times..

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What do you guys think about the scoring though? Last year at SA, they overscored Scherbakova in the sp, simply because of all the quad rep, though no quad in the sp and she made a mistake on a jump and fell. Plus, she was a newbie to seniors and should NOT have been rated that high unless she actually went clean. She should have been behind Liza Tut in the sp for sure but the judges refused to be fair to Liza.

Here IMO, it is quite obvious that U.S. fed has finally gotten fully on board with Mariah. They are trying to make up for the fact that Mariah absolutely should have won U.S. Nationals in January. Stop rewarding young phenoms with multiple rotation jumps until they have developed more experience and more artistry. I just can't with the way this sport is run since forever with the political scoring.

I enjoy Mariah tremendously. But January was her moment, and U.S. fed chose to stick with Alysa Liu, just to keep hyping her for the future, instead of rewarding current hardworking seniors who are trying to make headway internationally. Now U.S. fed is working overtime in getting behind Mariah in a big way. Of course, Mariah deserves credit for breaking through and being on point mentally and physically, but Bradie works just as hard, and she's just as hungry, talented and deserving. The scoring should have been much closer between Bradie and Mariah. I don't get the 3-point difference based on what they both did here. There's not much difference. I'm not as enthused about Mariah's programs this season. I actually enjoyed Bradie's programs better last season too. But they both performed here and the point gap is questionable.

Edited to correct that the 3 point difference was not on PCS...

Last edited:

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
It seemed to me that both Mariah and Bradie should have at least gotten a ! on their lutzes.
But this is pretty much a national competition so, not surprising that they didn't.

lurkz2

On the Ice
What do you guys think about the scoring though? Last year at SA, they overscored Scherbakova in the sp, simply because of all the quad rep, though no quad in the sp and she made a mistake on a jump and fell. Plus, she was a newbie to seniors and should NOT have been rated that high unless she actually went clean. She should have been behind Liza Tut in the sp for sure but the judges refused to be fair to Liza.

Here IMO, it is quite obvious that U.S. fed has finally gotten fully on board with Mariah. They are trying to make up for the fact that Mariah absolutely should have won U.S. Nationals in January. Stop rewarding young phenoms with multiple rotation jumps until they have developed more experience and more artistry. I just can't with the way this sport is run since forever with the political scoring.

I enjoy Mariah tremendously. But January was her moment, and U.S. fed chose to stick with Alysa Liu, just to keep hyping her for the future, instead of rewarding current hardworking seniors who are trying to make headway internationally. Now U.S. fed is working overtime in getting behind Mariah in a big way. Of course, Mariah deserves credit for breaking through and being on point mentally and physically, but Bradie works just as hard, and she's just as hungry, talented and deserving. The scoring should have been much closer between Bradie and Mariah. I don't get the 3-point difference on PCS based on what they both did here. There's not much difference. I'm not as enthused about Mariah's programs this season. I actually enjoyed Bradie's programs better last season too. But they both performed here and the point gap is questionable.
Most of the difference came from the 3T being called UR but Mariah actually had a higher base value. Her team was really smart and placed the 3Lz as her last jump earning the bonus.

skatinggold

On the Ice
Some of those PCS were so inflated, I thought they were in a hot air balloon. That's what I hate about figure skating, they call one skater but when one is favorite by the federation, the edges are ignored, the UR are ignored, and the PCS are propped up to no tomorrow.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Good Job, Peacock! Needs canned applause for the Kiss and cry

Peacock is okay when the feed isn't stuttering. But I prefer the commentary we always got for Skate America! And I don't like the overly frequent commercials which will be edited in on archived replays. I also hate the colored circles moving up and down when you click on a link, which is a play on a Peacock's tail feathers. Enough of that already. The usual loading circle might as well be utilized.

The ISU coverage on Eurosport at least has the commentary, but as usual with Eurosport videos, the audio is rather low for some reason with hearing the skaters' music, due to the voiceover commentary. I can't understand why Eurosport never fixes that problem.

gold12345

Medalist

I enjoy Mariah tremendously. But January was her moment, and U.S. fed chose to stick with Alysa Liu, just to keep hyping her for the future, instead of rewarding current hardworking seniors who are trying to make headway internationally. Now U.S. fed is working overtime in getting behind Mariah in a big way. Of course, Mariah deserves credit for breaking through and being on point mentally and physically, but Bradie works just as hard, and she's just as hungry, talented and deserving. The scoring should have been much closer between Bradie and Mariah. I don't get the 3-point difference on PCS based on what they both did here. There's not much difference. I'm not as enthused about Mariah's programs this season. I actually enjoyed Bradie's programs better last season too. But they both performed here and the point gap is questionable.

I actually don't think Mariah's free skate at US Nationals was quite as outstanding as the US fed is making it out to be. Not all of her landings were smooth. She had similar performances at other international competitions that season, yet her US Nationals skate is made out to be some iconic performance that had never been seen before. It feels like the US is the only country that really dwells on US Nationals performances, whereas other countries seem to focus more on international skates, as it should be. Alysa had a technical edge, and probably would have still won even if it was an international competition. Even if it's sometimes frustrating, prepubescent girls with underdeveloped artistry who land big jumps sometimes get a lot of points.

Regardless, nothing that happened at US Nationals a year ago should influence how a technical panel calls a 3F-3T combination. If it's underrotated, it's underrotated. And a technical panel should be held accountable for their calls. I'll have to go watch Mariah's combo again, but I would hope the technical panel is making the right calls, otherwise what is the point of even having a judging system.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I gave Mariah a pass on the 3T rotation, but she 2-footed the landing. I'm surprised Simon didn't comment on that on replay.

Bradie's 3T was a clear UR. Her 3Z and 3F were stronger though, especially the Flip!

You can bet that Charlie and Tanith would have called it as they saw it. They always do -- they are classy and knowledgeabe, and add so much to the commentary booth.