• Morisi Kvitelashi
  • Second-To-Last Flight
    • Shoma Uno
    • Junhwan Cha
    • Boyang Jin
    • Keegan Messing
    • Kevin Aymoz
    • Deniss Vasilijevs
  • Last "Skating Last" Flight (I'm assuming one man from the "skating earlier" group will be added to this flight)
    • Michal Brezina
    • Vincent Zhou
    • Yuma Kagiyama
    • Vladimir Litvintsev
    • Aleksandr Selevko
Ladies
  • Final Flight
    • Rika Kihira
    • Bradie Tennell
    • Anna Scherbakova
    • Alexandra Trusova
    • Kaori Sakamoto
    • Satoko Miyahara
  • Second-To-Last Flight
    • Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
    • Ekaterina Ryabova
    • Yelim Kim
    • Alexia Paganini
    • Nichole Schott
    • Eva-Lotta Kiibus
  • Last "Skating Last" Flight (I'm assuming the draw will divide these nine ladies into two flights, with one being solely "skating last" and the other half "skating last" and half "skating earlier"
    • Alexandra Feigin
    • Haein Lee
    • Mae-Berenice Meite
    • Ekaterina Kurakova
    • Yi Christy Leung
    • Kailani Crane
    • Alina Urushadze
    • Karen Chen
    • Lara Naki Gutmann
Plot twist of the century: Mikhail Kolyada, who is a contender for bronze, will be going in the first half of the SP!

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I have it the starting order groups in a spreadsheet including pairs and dance!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The competition bubbles for speed skating at Gdansk and Dordrecht for the European Speed Skating Championships recorded no positive COVID-19 cases. There were 130 athletes participating.
Article
Small correction: these are the Short Track speed skating championships: Europeans in Gdansk and Worlds in Dordrecht. For Long Track this zero rate had already been established for the 5 week bubble in Heerenveen (with a Europeans, two World Cups and a Worlds, all in one long bubble with rules and protocols for joining in later). This news is even better then when it's about Long Track because there are bigger risks for the athletes. It's not a touch sport, but athletes from all over do come very close together in the races, and touching can and does occur. This is excellent news!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Here's what the "skating later" groups should look like

Men
  • Final Flight
    • Yuzuru Hanyu
    • Nathan Chen
    • Matteo Rizzo
    • Jason Brown
    • Daniel Grassl
    • Morisi Kvitelashi
  • Second-To-Last Flight
    • Shoma Uno
    • Junhwan Cha
    • Boyang Jin
    • Keegan Messing
    • Kevin Aymoz
    • Deniss Vasilijevs
  • Last "Skating Last" Flight (I'm assuming one man from the "skating earlier" group will be added to this flight)
    • Michal Brezina
    • Vincent Zhou
    • Yuma Kagiyama
    • Vladimir Litvintsev
    • Aleksandr Selevko
Ladies
  • Final Flight
    • Rika Kihira
    • Bradie Tennell
    • Anna Scherbakova
    • Alexandra Trusova
    • Kaori Sakamoto
    • Satoko Miyahara
  • Second-To-Last Flight
    • Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
    • Ekaterina Ryabova
    • Yelim Kim
    • Alexia Paganini
    • Nichole Schott
    • Eva-Lotta Kiibus
  • Last "Skating Last" Flight (I'm assuming the draw will divide these nine ladies into two flights, with one being solely "skating last" and the other half "skating last" and half "skating earlier"
    • Alexandra Feigin
    • Haein Lee
    • Mae-Berenice Meite
    • Ekaterina Kurakova
    • Yi Christy Leung
    • Kailani Crane
    • Alina Urushadze
    • Karen Chen
    • Lara Naki Gutmann
Plot twist of the century: Mikhail Kolyada, who is a contender for bronze, will be going in the first half of the SP!
oh mio Dior! both my boys in the last flight, i could i survive the axiety?:drama:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Here's what the "skating later" groups should look like

Men
  • Final Flight
    • Yuzuru Hanyu
    • Nathan Chen
    • Matteo Rizzo
    • Jason Brown
    • Daniel Grassl
    • Morisi Kvitelashi
  • Second-To-Last Flight
    • Shoma Uno
    • Junhwan Cha
    • Boyang Jin
    • Keegan Messing
    • Kevin Aymoz
    • Deniss Vasilijevs
    • Michal Brezina
    • Vincent Zhou
    • Yuma Kagiyama
    • Vladimir Litvintsev
    • Aleksandr Selevko
Ladies
  • Final Flight
    • Rika Kihira
    • Bradie Tennell
    • Anna Scherbakova
    • Alexandra Trusova
    • Kaori Sakamoto
    • Satoko Miyahara
  • Second-To-Last Flight
    • Elizaveta Tuktamysheva
    • Ekaterina Ryabova
    • Yelim Kim
    • Alexia Paganini
    • Nichole Schott
    • Eva-Lotta Kiibus
    • Alexandra Feigin
    • Haein Lee
    • Mae-Berenice Meite
    • Ekaterina Kurakova
    • Yi Christy Leung
    • Kailani Crane
    • Alina Urushadze
    • Karen Chen
    • Lara Naki Gutmann
Interesting. I guess that means for Ladies that also Viktoriia Safonova and Loena Hendrickx, two ladies that have a small chance to get into the Top 10 will go early.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Going early doesn't always end up negative...remember Chen/Zhou at the 2010 Olympics? And Loena has made a bit of a name for herself in the past few years...should help.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
oh mio Dior! both my boys in the last flight, i could i survive the axiety?:drama:
Forza Matteo! Forza Daniel!

and also go Jason (who has made the final flight from time to time, but not the expected American there). And why not:Nathan, Yuzu and Morisi too.

Who would have thought two Italians, two Americans (one named Jason), one Japanese and one Georgian? I think only the other American and the Japanese would have been expected. :)

A very different season:)

rollerblade

Record Breaker
When you're done with the barrels, we can turn them into a sauna and hot tub.

xgxUTXI.jpg

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I have no idea what those codes mean. DR? M-2?

Wonder how they decide the practice groups. There's definitely grouping by countries, but it's not by world ranking or alphabetical order.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have no idea what those codes mean. DR? M-2? ...

I am only guessing, but I think:
DR = Dressing Room
Two DRs for males (M-1 and M-2); and two DRs for females (L-1 and L-2).
With DRs for each gender used in alternating order to allow time for sufficient cleaning (against COVID) between the assigned groups.​

ETA (on Mar 21):

Tatjana Flade's Instastory today has video of "Dressing Room Men 1" and "Dressing Room Men 2" (with no one else in the rooms at the time).
She said that the reason for two DRs per gender is "to make sure that there is enough space." (I think that she was speaking in terms of social distancing.)
Each room had a long central table with an air purifier; pump bottles of what I would imagine is hand sanitizer; spray bottle of what I would imagine is cleaning fluid; what looked like a container of paper towels.​

... And Jackie is not going to be on location, and without a practice stream he won't know more than any of us.

Well ... one type of ISU accreditation is available to off-site media who plan to cover Worlds remotely.
(And I think chances are that Jackie would have applied for such accreditation.)

I am not going to hold my breath, but maybe/maybe/maybe there are plans for accredited media in this category to receive *private* access to streaming of practices, and then maybe/maybe/maybe Jackie could/would provide some live-tweeting of practices???

That said, if he were to have media access to streaming of practices, maybe even the tireless Jackie (no stranger to sleep deprivation) mostly would want to conserve his stamina for the long/crazy hours of competition itself??

ETA (on Mar 21):

Jackie's tweet this morning:

Exciting news! I’ll be live tweeting select practices at #WorldFigure later this week starting on Wednesday! They will all be competition-day practices morning SWE time, so none of the sessions at the start of the week.

Note: Practice streams available to accredited media only

His tweet is a very nice update since Jackie's Insta Live last night (Mar 20), when (I am paraphrasing what he said) he seemed resigned to a lack of any streaming of practices at Worlds (but clearly disappointed).​

Last edited:

saturdaysun

On the Ice
I have no idea what those codes mean. DR? M-2?

Wonder how they decide the practice groups. There's definitely grouping by countries, but it's not by world ranking or alphabetical order.
I think practice groups are partly decided by when people arrive.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
About the judges:

The judging panel will be the same as that drawn for Worlds 2000:

MEN: AUS AUT CZE FIN GEO GER GBR KOR RUS SWE SUI UKR USA

LADIES: BEL CZE DEN FRA HKG ITA NED RUS SVK SLO ESP SWE USA

PAIRS: AUT CAN CHN CRO CZE FRA GER GBR ITA LAT RUS ESP USA

DANCE: CAN CHN FIN FRA GBR JPN LTU POL RUS ESP SUI UKR USA
Thank you. How do the members of a panel get chosen?

Andrea82

Medalist
Thank you. How do the members of a panel get chosen?

13 ISU members were drawn for each discipline. The draw is limited to ISU members with an ISU judge (the level required to judge in ISU Championships). ISU members are asked if they want to partecipate to the draw and in which discipline.

In each discipline the draw is first done among Federations with a skater who took part to previous edition of World Championships.

Then if less than 13 ISU members with a skater last time were entered into the draw, a second draw is done among other ISU members to reach 13 judges.
I think only Pair needed this second step this year. There were 19 skaters from 13 countries in 2019 but North Korea doesn't have an ISU judge. So the other 12 were put in the panel and a free draw was done to add the 13th judge (among Federations that entered the draw) and Latvia was picked.

Individual judges are then nominated by their Federations.