2021 World Figure Skating Championships: General Info | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2021 World Figure Skating Championships: General Info

Amei

Record Breaker
I read that Russians complained they were not able to get single rooms for their 24 hr quarantine while they waited for the test results. I think Tiffany Zagorski was roommates with Boikova. Not sure if that changed later.
Another story I've seen was from Zach Donohue and he was alone in his room.

Well not having them in solo rooms is dumb - what if skater A and B are rooming together during that 24 hour period and the Stockholm test comes back positive for skater A but not skater B, skater B would still be in a jam because they were "exposed" to skater A who has a positive test result

pearly

Record Breaker
Well not having them in solo rooms is dumb - what if skater A and B are rooming together during that 24 hour period and the Stockholm test comes back positive for skater A but not skater B, skater B would still be in a jam because they were "exposed" to skater A who has a positive test result
Yeah, and that way you could have up to 4 people out of the competition if the positive one and their roommate are pair/dance skaters. Luckily everyone was cleared so far. This information came from the mother of one of the competitors so I take it as legit, but I don't know if they got their own rooms now or not.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Nicole Della Monica posted on her Instagram stories that 'thanks to our federation' the Italian team have their own rooms (although maybe not Guignard/Fabbri, who are a couple), so it sounds like it might have been up to the individual federations to request individual rooms.
Single rooms were available, but only upon request.

Skatefan15

On the Ice
After looking at some practice pictures, I’m very confused. I thought ISU said only one coach per skater allowed at the boards, but then all three of Eteri & Co. were at the boards for just Anna? I get maybe having two there since they only have two people competing, but how is it fair that they all three get to be there when a lot of other people only have one coach? The ISU responded to a DM from someone I saw on twitter saying there would be no exceptions to the rules, but...here we are.

pearly

Record Breaker
Twitter is a very bad place to be right now. Maybe the organizers have decided to allow more than one coach per skater for everyone. This wouldn't be the first time ISU changes their mind about things. One of my competitions (ISU Worlds) I skated the free program in the first group and the team that placed behind mine in the short skated in the second group. Ridiculous, but there it was.

Nachi

On the Ice
Twitter is a very bad place to be right now. Maybe the organizers have decided to allow more than one coach per skater for everyone. This wouldn't be the first time ISU changes their mind about things. One of my competitions (ISU Worlds) I skated the free program in the first group and the team that placed behind mine in the short skated in the second group. Ridiculous, but there it was.
So...in the end ISU does what's best for them in perspective of how they could please the "best-seller"? That might sound over the top but for whom are they doing these exceptions again? And why? Why are they going against their own rules they've set? I'm not sure if I want to watch this anymore and I feel extremely bad for the skaters.

pearly

Record Breaker
So...in the end ISU does what's best for them in perspective of how they could please the "best-seller"? That might sound over the top but for whom are they doing these exceptions again? And why? Why are they going against their own rules they've set? I'm not sure if I want to watch this anymore and I feel extremely bad for the skaters.
Honestly, what the ISU does and how many coaches skaters have with them by the ice concerns me very little. It won't change my day for better nor for worse. I 100% get why people are upset, but I doubt there's much anyone can do about it. If I were a coach/skater there and knew one team was allowed something that is against the rules, I'd rightfully ask the same for myself and for everyone else. But I'm not gonna fight anyone's battles here or on Twitter. I'm happy I get to watch a proper competition again.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Do you guys know if the skaters and coaches each have their own room, or do they have assigned roommates like previous Worlds or Olympics?

Well, apart from room sharing of couples like Tarasova+Morozov, Chock+Bates, or Mishin and his wife, etc.
And Sui+Han, even though they keep denying it. :laugh:
The Canadian skaters I’ve seen posting (Piper, KMT, Marjorie) all appear to have their own rooms.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
As for Anna, maybe ISU only cares that 1 coach per skater is in the bubble, and anyone from this bubble can come to practice?
I expect so. Presumably Eteri & co have more than 1 skater at the WC. And, once you're in the bubble itself you can also attend the practice of another skater than the one you are specifically assigned to attend at the competition.

pearly

Record Breaker
There has been a positive test. The ISU has not released the name of the person, but Safanova's name has been removed from the roster.

pearly

Record Breaker
Just watched a video (mostly of Russian skaters) from the arena and most of them are shown with more than one coach by the boards so it looks like everyone's allowed more coaches. (Also, Twitter hasn't blown up over this so I'm sure it's in accordance with the rules.)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Slavik Hayrapetyan tested positive to Covid before leaving Armenia. He repeated the test 3 times and all 3 tests were positive. He has now 38.5 degree of fever.

TSL was fuzzy on this...he tested positive once and didnt believe it and still practiced? (with others?) Did he have a room mate or three? They show a skater now wearing a mask in a warm up area????

Andrea82

Medalist
TSL was fuzzy on this...he tested positive once and didnt believe it and still practiced? (with others?) Did he have a room mate or three? They show a skater now wearing a mask in a warm up area????

Yes, I agree that someone who believe the result of the test could be wrong should isolate until knowing the result of the new test rather than going to practices.
In his case, he was still in Armenia and went to practices to his local rink. So he didn't affect the Stockholm bubble.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
There has been a positive test. The ISU has not released the name of the person, but Safanova's name has been removed from the roster.
It is an interesting statement. So if he had one, two or three roomates, and they are quaranteened...did he tell them about the first positive test where he continued to practice? If they are quaranteened now, with the incubation/gestation period of Covid, are there any new tests that can say that these others are not infected and shedding at the time of the comp???

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, I agree that someone who believe the result of the test could be wrong should isolate until knowing the result of the new test rather than going to practices.
In his case, he was still in Armenia and went to practices to his local rink. So he didn't affect the Stockholm bubble.
OK, thanks! TSL and the released statement were unclear to me.

Andrea82

Medalist
Just watched a video (mostly of Russian skaters) from the arena and most of them are shown with more than one coach by the boards so it looks like everyone's allowed more coaches. (Also, Twitter hasn't blown up over this so I'm sure it's in accordance with the rules.)
Yes, I also saw both Orser and Wilson at the bords for Cha.