2021 Worlds: Ladies FS "Thoughts and Observations" | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2021 Worlds: Ladies FS "Thoughts and Observations"

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Serious question. Why do people follow a sport where they just belittle the winners and slander the judges when results don’t go their way?

You think If my favorites didn‘t get good scores I would be complaining for a week straight?

Nobody on earth would have been happier if Kaori got a medal in this event. But I’m not going to bury the judges to make myself feel better.

And I’m sorry, but if you can do better than these judges, go and become a ISU judge so you can get scrutized in the same way and then called incompetant and bought off without evidence.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Because for all their claims to the contrary they DO blame the skaters who won over their favourites and want to sling mud at them again and again until it sticks, so next time Anna, Liza or Sasha win something (with an entirely different judging panel) and they're butthurt a whole bunch of other people who've bought into their nasty rhetoric will join in the pile-on and they can be smug and self-congratulatory about how right they are and "Oh boo-hoo, those horrible Russian skaters they've been ruining the sport for years."

I'll particularly note that some in particular who are ranting and raving about Sasha stealing the bronze medal from the ever so deserving Karen Chen with a boring unartistic sham of a free program are not only NOT saying the same thing about Yuzuru (who I genuinely admire) who put out one of the most uninspiring FS's I've ever seen, they're claiming yet again he's been robbed.

And then they turn around and snidely accuse ME of hypocrisy. Nice.

KwanfordWife

Rinkside
Serious question. Why do people follow a sport where they just belittle the winners and slander the judges when results don’t go their way?

You think If my favorites didn‘t get good scores I would be complaining for a week straight?

Nobody on earth would have been happier if Kaori got a medal in this event. But I’m not going to bury the judges to make myself feel better.

And I’m sorry, but if you can do better than these judges, go and become a ISU judge so you can get scrutized in the same way and then called incompetant and bought off without evidence.
I've been a figure skating fan my whole life. And one thing I can confirm is that this sport loses fans because of the judging. Why is skating the only sport that allows mediocrity?

You want to see improvement from the skaters? Tighten up the judging. Make it so the skaters know that if they want to win, they need solid jumping techniques, strong skating skills and interesting programs. And if they fall, the scores reflect those deficiencies and they have something to improve.

This isn't hard. Judges need to do their job so skaters can do theirs. And if random skater from random country wins, cheers to them. You cape for the judges; I will cape for the sport.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've been a figure skating fan my whole life. And one thing I can confirm is that this sport loses fans because of the judging. Why is skating the only sport that allows mediocrity?

You want to see improvement from the skaters? Tighten up the judging. Make it so the skaters know that if they want to win, they need solid jumping techniques, strong skating skills and interesting programs. And if they fall, the scores reflect those deficiencies and they have something to improve.

This isn't hard. Judges need to do their job so skaters can do theirs. And if random skater from random country wins, cheers to them. You cape for the judges; I will cape for the sport.
The sport loses fans because every judging decision is chalked up to malfeasance without proof.

The skaters are in fact improving. The ladies are about to enter the golden period of the sport. Bring on the quads.

And the random country wouldn‘t even be in the running if not for quotas and age restrictions by the ISU.

Daria Usacheva would be champion of how many countries for instance? And she can’t get on any of these international teams for her country due to fierce competition.

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Because for all their claims to the contrary they DO blame the skaters who won over their favourites and want to sling mud at them again and again until it sticks, so next time Anna, Liza or Sasha win something (with an entirely different judging panel) and they're butthurt a whole bunch of other people who've bought into their nasty rhetoric will join in the pile-on and they can be smug and self-congratulatory about how right they are and "Oh boo-hoo, those horrible Russian skaters they've been ruining the sport for years."

I'll particularly note that some in particular who are ranting and raving about Sasha stealing the bronze medal from the ever so deserving Karen Chen with a boring unartistic sham of a free program are not only NOT saying the same thing about Yuzuru (who I genuinely admire) who put out one of the most uninspiring FS's I've ever seen, they're claiming yet again he's been robbed.

And then they turn around and snidely accuse ME of hypocrisy. Nice.
I knew this was all fishy when the podium is scrutinized with a fine tooth comb and the others are treated with kid gloves. You saw how quickly the judges were supported when a few posters asked if Karen was scored favorably in the SP. The judges weren’t incompetent when the calls might of gone her way in that instance.

A few more posts, and the 4th placed finisher will have 400 points and be a gold medalist in the mens and pairs event as well. Haha

Hard for me to sympathize when cherry picking is the name of tbe game.

KwanfordWife

Rinkside
The sport loses fans because every judging decision is chalked up to malfeasance without proof.

The skaters are in fact improving. The ladies are about to enter the golden period of the sport. Bring on the quads.

And the random country wouldn‘t even be in the running if not for quotas and age restrictions by the ISU.

Daria Usacheva would be champion of how many countries for instance? And she can’t get on any of these international teams for her country due to fierce competition.
The skaters on their butt for half the program is generally a very good place to start when looking for malfeasance.

KwanfordWife

Rinkside

And if you think quads are going to bring on the golden age of figure skating then you have a limited view of the sport but carry on...

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And if you think quads are going to bring on the golden age of figure skating then you have a limited view of the sport but carry on...
And maybe if you don't think so you have an equally limited view.

But then I forgot, only "artists" count right? The skaters who practice quads and 3As? Who enjoy the technical aspects. Pft what do they think they're doing ruining our pretty, pretty sport. 🙄

My way or the highway right?

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The skaters on their butt for half the program is generally a very good place to start when looking for malfeasance.
And the scores reflect that. You get negative GOE and deductions for falling.

The quad jumps have to be rewarded. Glad this scoring system does that. If I wanted to watch 1988 skating, I would just pull up Katerina’s programs. Haha

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, I looked at the scoring sheets once again.

Trusova was 22 points higher than Chen on TES and we are here talking about inflated PCS. Which Karen won over Trusova anyway.

Anna won by 25 points overall over Karen, Even if Karen gets 80 PCS she still loses to Anna.

Liza beat her by about 12.

So where exactly was Karen ripped off? Haha

This is like West Ham United finishing 40 points behind Manchester City and claiming it was because of bad refereeing. Haha

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I will gladly have a limited view if jumps get even crazier. Spins and stuff are just the appetizer to get to the main course. I mostly tune out after the final jump anyway unless it’s a skater I like. I readily admit that.

Every skater in the world can do even a bad spin. How many actually attempt quads or 3A, let alone land them. That’s why they are worth a crap ton of points. In my scoring system, one quad landed would be worth more than all the spins and step sequences combined.

That is where the wow factor is. And that’s where the major technical innovations are coming from.

Unleash the ladies, let them do as many jumps as they want and stop limiting them on the SP. Trusova‘s skate was the most exciting one by far. Edge of the seat stuff.

We aren’t that far off, soon enough a lady will land 5 and even 6 quads. And quads may be outdated down the line too.

I have already predicted that Kamila‘s granddaughter will hit an 8T. Haha

Last edited:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Glad to be here!

Maybe I’m the roach of this forum. No big deal, I’ve been called worse. Haha
Oh, I wouldn't call you the roach of this forum :) There are worse things to be and worse things to do.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:clap: The entire past 14 years of this sport has often felt like some nightmarish alternate reality where the Nazis won the war (and it's been getting worse than ever). The reason why this scoring system was created has lost its purpose; the rules are still too flawed and restrictive, while simultaneously not even being used for their intended purpose, and being treated as if they are what defines the entirety of skating. The objective value of the skating is being lost in a pile of numbers that is almost never judged correctly. Competitors are forced to do ugly/boring things they shouldn't have to, quality is often not rewarded correctly, the performance and artistry is ever less important, and when some people do manage to do something inspired, it usually doesn't get the credit it deserves.
I so agree. I think it’s been going downhill since figures were removed.

ali0125

On the Ice
Country
Australia
It is actually very easy to argue who the best skaters were. They got the most points after Friday ended. Those are the only numbers that matter
No offence, but you do sound like Her Majesty Eteri Georgievna Tutberidze to me :ROFLMAO: - once a skater has high scores (by whatever means btw), nothing else to bother - poor techniques, forgettable programs, no-soul performances - who cares

Come on, figure skating is better than this :palmf:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No offence, but you do sound like Her Majesty Eteri Georgievna Tutberidze to me :ROFLMAO: - once a skater has high scores (by whatever means btw), nothing else to bother - poor techniques, forgettable programs, no-soul performances - who cares

Come on, figure skating is better than this.
No offense taken. Since I agree with the above. Her Majesty has the right attitude. Haha

For me, it’s a sport first, so results matter more than anything. Every thing else after that is a bonus. If you can get gold with a great skate that‘s the absolute best case scenario.

But, the competition is why I am drawn to this.

Sometimes in sports you win because you are less bad than your opponents. Like in this case.

Sometimes you win by outperforming the competition. Like at Russian Nationals.

As long as by whatever means necessary doesn’t involve out and out fixing that is. That is probably the only line I will draw.