Tuktamysheva plans to step it up for the Olympic season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Tuktamysheva plans to step it up for the Olympic season

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As MCsAngel2 said the only reason she made it to Worlds this year was because of age-ineligibility of others, something that won't be the case next season, and let's be honest if we look at the Russian Cup Final scores had Kostornaia been just a little bit better it probably would have been a toss up if Kostornaia or Tuktamysheva was sent to Worlds this year
And I can't resist adding for folks who don't always read the Russian Ladies' thread - Alyona did her triple axel in a show last week, not perfectly, but it was there and I believe fully rotated. She made Eteri's 2-month deadline. I think that's pretty doggone impressive too!

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Well, this was a bit curious. We begin with: "Elizaveta (Lisa) Tuktamysheva made a successful return to the world stage this season, proving that not only tiny teens can be at the top of the sport in figure skating," when she herself is tinier than them all, except perhaps Kostornaia(though she wasn't even at worlds).

Other than that, was happy seeing Tuktamysheva be successful. She'll have to be in top condition if she wants to seriously compete for a spot for Olympics next season.

DreamSkates

Rinkside
Country
United-States
First, I give her HUGE kudos for not counting herself out for any reason beyond this season. She has two 3 X and not many ladies can boast that accomplishment. I believe she believes enough in herself, and has the athletic ability, to do a quad. What happens from this point on (if the quad is consistent and enough points are involved) is anyone's guess. As we all know, FS is a slippery sport, there can be injuries or other things that keep a skater home rather than at the Olympics. Whatever happens, Tuk is to be admired for her longevity in the sport and for continuing to grow as a skater and build her technical ability. Never say never. We can all think of examples of medals we didn't think would happen, medals that should have happened but didn't, etc.

DreamSkates

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I don't think most people being critical about Tuktamysheva's Olympic team chances are saying she shouldn't try but being realistic pointing out she's got a big deficit to overcome and that the only reason that she went to Worlds this year was due to international age restrictions for multiple skaters that did better than her domestically which won't be there for her next year.
True, and Kostornia (sorry if misspelled) did not make the world team this year. But let's also remember that anything can happen and even the skaters becoming senior eligible, could have a bad year.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
So here's a interesting statistic: (Not sure if it's been talked about)

Elizaveta is the only (Female) World champion who's never been a Winter Olympian in the history of the sport

:jaw:

There is only one man who shares that stat, And he's the 1923 ( :sneaky: ) World champion

I'm too lazy to check Pairs or Ice Dance...

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She has bad timing with finding her peak form. Adelina and Julia were pretty solid in 2014, but I think she could have gotten the third spot in 2018 skating like she did when she won the world title.

Tatjana

On the Ice
Lisa wants to include the quad toe in her program, not necessarily the quad Lutz. That is something she'd like to try more for herself. But who knows what happens if she really goes for it and lands it. Andrei Lazukin (who used to do a 4Lz) said he thinks she can do it. Andrei is back now, training btw. Evgeni Semenenko and Mikhail Kolyada have been doing 4Lz in practice. The Empress will show them how a nice 4Lz looks like (well maybe she can learn it from Mikhail). :biggrin:

With all the talent in Russia, I think she needs the 4T. She's done great ones in practice, so hopefully she'll get it consistent enough and can do it in competition.

Tatjana

On the Ice
She has bad timing with finding her peak form. Adelina and Julia were pretty solid in 2014, but I think she could have gotten the third spot in 2018 skating like she did when she won the world title.
I am sure she would have been on the 2018 team if she had skated as well as in 2015 and as well as she is skating now. The third spot went to Maria Sotskova in 2018. Maria was quite consistent in that season (although she didn't skate that well in PyeongChang), but Lisa would have beaten her with her 3A and overall performance. It was really unfortunate that Lisa wasn't skating her best at the time.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States

Elizaveta is the only (Female) World champion who's never been a Winter Olympian in the history of the sport

There is only one man who shares that stat, And he's the 1923 ( :sneaky: ) World champion

I actually did a bit of research (I checked the list by hand) and came up with this:

Ladies
Lily Kronburger
- World Champion 1908-11: - Hungary 🇭🇺
Opika von Méray Horváth - World Champion: 1912-14 - Hungary 🇭🇺
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - World Champion: 2015 - Russia 🇷🇺
Anna Shcherbakova - World Champion: 2021 - FSR (RUS)
Note: there was no figure skating at the 1912 Olympic Games and Hungary did not send athletes to the 1908 Olympics

Mens
Gilbert Fuchs
- World Champion: 1896, 1906 - Germany 🇩🇪 *
Gustav Hügel
- World Champion: 1897, 1899, 1900 Austria 🇦🇹 *
Fritz Kachler
- World Champion: 1912, 1913, 1923 - (choose not to participate in 1920/24 Olympics) Austria 🇦🇹
Gösta Sandahl - World Champion: 1914 - Sweeden 🇸🇪
* Figure skating only became an Olympic Sport in 1908

Ice Dance

Jean Westwood/Lawrence Demmy
- World Champions: 1952-55 - UK 🇬🇧
Pamela Weight/Paul Thomas - World Champions: 1956 - UK 🇬🇧
June Markham/Courtney Jones - World Champions: 1957/1958 - UK 🇬🇧
Doreen Denny/Courtney Jones - World Champions: 1959/1960 - UK 🇬🇧
Eva Romanová/Pavel Roman - World Champions: 1962-65 - Czechoslovakia 🇨🇿
Diane Towler/Bernard Ford - World Champions: 1966-69 *(skated in a demo at the 1968 Olympics and won gold)* UK 🇬🇧
*Ice Dance was added to the Olympics in 1976. Until then there was no Ice Dance in the Olympics.*

Post 1976 only 1 athlete (Victoria Sinitsina FSR/RUS, who became World Champion in 2021) has not been to an Olympic Games, as her partner Nikita Katsalapov competed in the 2014 Sochi games with Elena Ilinykh

I’ll update pairs soon

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I actually did a bit of research (I checked the list by hand) and came up with this:

Ladies
Lily Kronburger
- World Champion 1908-11: - Hungary 🇭🇺
Opika von Méray Horváth - World Champion: 1912-14 - Hungary 🇭🇺
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - World Champion: 2015 - Russia 🇷🇺
Anna Shcherbakova - World Champion: 2021 - FSR (RUS)
Note: there was no figure skating at the 1912 Olympic Games and Hungary did not send athletes to the 1908 Olympics

Mens
Gilbert Fuchs
- World Champion: 1896, 1906 - Germany 🇩🇪 *
Gustav Hügel
- World Champion: 1897, 1899, 1900 Austria 🇦🇹 *
Fritz Kachler
- World Champion: 1912, 1913, 1923 - (choose not to participate in 1920/24 Olympics) Austria 🇦🇹
Gösta Sandahl - World Champion: 1914 - Sweeden 🇸🇪
* Figure skating only became an Olympic Sport in 1908

Yup, That's why I specifically wrote "Winter Olympian"
Only Fritz Kachler (1923) meets that criteria as mentioned

And I didn't include Shcherbakova for obvious reasons

Amei

Record Breaker
Lisa wants to include the quad toe in her program, not necessarily the quad Lutz. That is something she'd like to try more for herself. But who knows what happens if she really goes for it and lands it. Andrei Lazukin (who used to do a 4Lz) said he thinks she can do it. Andrei is back now, training btw. Evgeni Semenenko and Mikhail Kolyada have been doing 4Lz in practice. The Empress will show them how a nice 4Lz looks like (well maybe she can learn it from Mikhail). :biggrin:

With all the talent in Russia, I think she needs the 4T. She's done great ones in practice, so hopefully she'll get it consistent enough and can do it in competition.

Well if she wants the 4lz for herself more than actually trying to put it in competition, Mishin needs to put a stop to it/talk some sense into her- she can injure herself trying to train it and its not like magically adding that quad toe is going to put her on the team, she still really needs to upgrade her layouts to be more competitive with the top Russian ladies.

macy

Record Breaker

wow that's crazy.

can she do it? yes. will it be easy? no. are the odds on her side? also no.

Liza skated well this season and accomplished a lot, but i think it's important to note that if this was an ordinary season she likely wouldn't have gone to worlds. she had weaker competition domestically which majorly helped her chances this year, and next year it will be even more difficult for her than it was the previous 2 olympic seasons. she will have 6 direct competitors for spots.

of course nobody should write her off, she will always be in the mix- i just think most of these girls will have to falter for her to make the team. but of course, nothing is certain in figure skating and anything can happen. it would be a shame if she left the sport without making the olympics.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
And I didn't include Shcherbakova for obvious reasons
I don't think Anna is a lock for the Olympic team. I mean, she has better odds than anyone else at the moment, especially since she tends to be strong at Nationals. But Adelina ('14 OGM), Julia ('14 WSM), Alina ('19 WGM), and Evgenia ('19 WBM) weren't among the top three Russian women in the seasons following those strong results. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the team ended up being a trio like Sasha, Alena, and Kamila.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't think Anna is a lock for the Olympic team. I mean, she has better odds than anyone else at the moment, especially since she tends to be strong at Nationals. But Adelina ('14 OGM), Julia ('14 WSM), Alina ('19 WGM), and Evgenia ('19 WBM) weren't among the top three Russian women in the seasons following those strong results. I wouldn't be shocked at all if the team ended up being a trio like Sasha, Alena, and Kamila.
I think the obvious reasons were that Anna became World Champion only a month ago and has not had the opportunity to go to thr Olympics yet, rather then she will definitely be going.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think the obvious reasons were that Anna became World Champion only a month ago and has not had the opportunity to go to thr Olympics yet, rather then she will definitely be going.
Well, she's still a World Champion who hasn't been an Olympian :)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, this was a bit curious. We begin with: "Elizaveta (Lisa) Tuktamysheva made a successful return to the world stage this season, proving that not only tiny teens can be at the top of the sport in figure skating," when she herself is tinier than them all, except perhaps Kostornaia(though she wasn't even at worlds).

Other than that, was happy seeing Tuktamysheva be successful. She'll have to be in top condition if she wants to seriously compete for a spot for Olympics next season.

I think what the author was trying to get across was the age - not so much the physical build ;)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well if she wants the 4lz for herself more than actually trying to put it in competition, Mishin needs to put a stop to it/talk some sense into her- she can injure herself trying to train it and its not like magically adding that quad toe is going to put her on the team, she still really needs to upgrade her layouts to be more competitive with the top Russian ladies.

I agree. I would rather see a consistent 3A and stronger layouts than quads (of any kind).