2020-21 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2020-21 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Yeah, I know I have to wait and hope for some surprises. It's just that I like the excitement when many great skaters compete for the top placements. I'm sure the 'second tier skaters' train hard and will improve, but so do Nathan, Jason and Vincent.

Anyway the US men are always fun to watch for various reasons. Looking forward to the new season.

Amei

Record Breaker
Has there been anything official that Yaroslav has been released by the Ukrainian Fed? I know it was said that he was being released in May 2021, but I've never seen anything since then that it had officially happened.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has there been anything official that Yaroslav has been released by the Ukrainian Fed? I know it was said that he was being released in May 2021, but I've never seen anything since then that it had officially happened.

Yaro is listed on the ISP for US skaters (although I cannot find a link now); I don't believe he would be listed as eligible to represent the US unless he were released by Ukraine.

Citizenship is of course a different matter. I know there were interviews with him or with Todd Eldredge where they said they were hopeful, or were told, that he would be eligible this year. But of course you're not eligible to be sworn in until you receive the notice from USCIS, and the swearing in date depends on when USCIS schedules the ceremonies. :)

Gia_Sesshoumaru

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Yaro is listed on the ISP for US skaters (although I cannot find a link now); I don't believe he would be listed as eligible to represent the US unless he were released by Ukraine.

Citizenship is of course a different matter. I know there were interviews with him or with Todd Eldredge where they said they were hopeful, or were told, that he would be eligible this year. But of course you're not eligible to be sworn in until you receive the notice from USCIS, and the swearing in date depends on when USCIS schedules the ceremonies. :)

Yes, he was officially released from Ukraine mid-June and he said in an interview he's already working on his citizenship and should have his citizenship this year (though he wasn't sure when) so *crosses fingers*

fzztsimmons

On the Ice

In terms of citizenship, in the latest TSL video, Dave says he spoke to Todd Eldredge and they're thinking that his citizenship will be through in November.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In terms of citizenship, in the latest TSL video, Dave says he spoke to Todd Eldredge and they're thinking that his citizenship will be through in November.

I hope Todd is right.

I worked for the federal government (not State Dept and not Immigration) for 32 years. Talking to a fed employee is good; written confirmation from the agency is better. :)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Vincent I find tiresome at times. I know he has a lot of talent, but his personality is not engaging. As an observer said, his recent career has been like 'a roller coaster,' but without the good feels, ultimately.

I prefer Yaro, Jason, Nathan. But if he turns it on, U.S. fed tends to go with Vincent. I wonder whether Yaro will get the nod for Nebelhorn? I hope so.

Apple1078

Final Flight
Vincent I find tiresome at times. I know he has a lot of talent, but his personality is not engaging. As an observer said, his recent career has been like 'a roller coaster,' but without the good feels, ultimately.

I prefer Yaro, Jason, Nathan. But if he turns it on, U.S. fed tends to go with Vincent. I wonder whether Yaro will get the nod for Nebelhorn? I hope so.
I think they go head to head (I believe they are both competing) at Cranberry Cup in a few weeks' time.

Amei

Record Breaker
I hope Todd is right.

I worked for the federal government (not State Dept and not Immigration) for 32 years. Talking to a fed employee is good; written confirmation from the agency is better. :)

In Todd we trust :jump:

Yaroslav has become 1 of my favorites as he has so much personality on ice, given his jumps with having the multiple quads, he can be a serious contender for the Olympic team.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In Todd we trust :jump:

Yaroslav has become 1 of my favorites as he has so much personality on ice, given his jumps with having the multiple quads, he can be a serious contender for the Olympic team.

I also like the fact that Yaroslav shows some personality. I saw him live four years ago, when he competed for Ukraine, and he was not nearly as interesting. Quads, but not interesting. The move to Todd has done him good.

As for the Olys, Nathan is a given and of course I am all in for Jason. But let the best all around skaters win(y)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ The all-around best are all of these top guys. At any given event, skaters can be on their game or off their game. That's life and figure skating.

If it was just about the overall best, then Jason and Adam would have both been on the 2018 Olympic team. But they both didn't skate their best at the one-shot Nationals event. Thankfully, for Adam, he had only made two unexpected mistakes at the end of his program, which kept him in 4th overall, and his BOW quotient secured his place on the team.

Jason had made too many mistakes but he learned from the experience. He made some changes in his approach, and looked for a new coach. The rest is history -- he has grown into an even better skater.

I always felt though that the 2018 men's selection contest should have been between Adam and Vincent. Obviously, the judges had expected Adam and Jason to place ahead of Ross Miner. But Ross was in the zone, and he brought the house down before Jason and Adam skated, which surely added to the pressure they felt. In particular, quad pressure since Ross had landed a validated quad, and received huge scores placing him in second. Meanwhile, Vincent had some under-rotations and he wasn't overly impressive, though he was still scored fairly high.

Of course, had Adam placed in third ahead of Vincent, U.S. fed would likely have made the assignment contest between Ross and Vincent.

With this in mind, there may still be 'team selection drama' and BOW assessments after 2022 U.S. Nationals ends.

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Will you be there?

Sad to say, no. I didn't even go to Boston for Worlds (although that was considerably more expensive :) ).

But I'm so happy for you that Gracie is entered (yes, I know this is the men's thread ;) ) and our boy Jacob:clap:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sad to say, no. I didn't even go to Boston for Worlds (although that was considerably more expensive :) ).

But I'm so happy for you that Gracie is entered (yes, I know this is the men's thread ;) ) and our boy Jacob:clap:
Jacob has all the sass! I wonder what stuffies he likes.

I went to Worlds to see Gracie. I think there may have been some other skaters there also. I was so excited to see the Zamboni. It was my first in person skating event.