2020-21 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2020-21 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm excited for Ilia. Him being from my home county also helps for me to be excited, so yes there is bias for me. But once the top 3 eventually retire (Which will be a bit sad for me cause I LOVE Jason Brown's skating), I think we'll be in decent hands for some time.

Dogo

On the Ice
Honestly, I just want to see a good battle between Vincent and Yaro. May the cleanest jumper and most expressive skater go to the Olympics. (Yes, I'm biased pro-Vincent but he has to be selected having had a fair fight).

Ilia seems to have the talent, and I just want him to be in a good head-space before competitions. Because when you are able to jump that much and that good, the key thing is how you control your emotions and expectations right before your performance in order to skate clean. I would rather have him skate calm and with less frantic music (or even less transitions) until he gets accustomed to jumping that many clean jumps on competitions. I think for me, the best course of action would be if Ilia can stabilize his jumps first, and then work on his PCs.

And I'm also rooting strongly for Will Annis!

gkelly

Record Breaker
They seriously had a men's competition for 1 skater? Gee, that was surprise at who won...
It's pretty common to have one-person events at local competitions, especially for the boys/men.

All different levels and types of events may be offered. Skaters enter the events that best meet their test/skill levels. Some levels and disciplines have many competitors and some have few.

At least with IJS, the skater gets a detailed protocol out of it.

For lower level events still judged under 6.0, a skater in a single-entry event would only get a row of first-place ordinals.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's pretty common to have one-person events at local competitions, especially for the boys/men.

All different levels and types of events may be offered. Skaters enter the events that best meet their test/skill levels. Some levels and disciplines have many competitors and some have few.

At least with IJS, the skater gets a detailed protocol out of it.

For lower level events still judged under 6.0, a skater in a single-entry event would only get a row of first-place ordinals.
Excellent point.

Also, less tangible to be sure, the skater gets to experience the program in a competition setting. Full costume, alone on the ice, judges and tech callers watching every move, etc. Getting the competition nerves out, so to speak.

I bet that's worth a lot, even without a competitor.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Story that Jason tells related to the one man, or not so many men, comps, and how they helped Jason determine his sporting passion:

As a boy, Jason played many sports, including soccer. His soccer travel team did well and went to the playoffs. They lost a game, maybe the championship game. All his teammates were upset, and Jason's reaction was, why are you so upset, it's just a soccer game.

The next weekend, Jason goes to a skating competition. As he tells, it, some novice competition with one or two other boys and five people in the audience, three of whom were his relatives. He did not skate as well as he wanted. He was upset.

Then it dawned on him, how the other boys felt about soccer, he felt about skating. He had found his passion. :)

So the "no competition" competitions can be very important.:biggrin:

(paraphrasing from a podcast).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For whenever someone might be tempted to think Jason just flies out on the ice and naturally channels Alvin Ailey and Lester Horton:

the hard work that goes into a program like Sinnerman, along with the priceless commentary from Rohene (your butt's on the ice, that's a deduction):ROFLMAO:

Twitter v. Reality, as presented by Jason;

(h/t to katmari posting in the Fan Fest)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's a great score for Will Annis. Another young skater I have never seen or heard of.

A while back there was some footage floating around of a spectacular... and I mean HOLY COW... quad loop.

Of course, who knows how reliable the element is, but it demonstrated he is certainly *capable* of a high stakes jump.

And that's about all I know about him.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I half watched this event and remember lots of falls and pops. Annis had 4 deductions in his free skate. Clean Nielsen won without the hardest tech.

Early days and I believe many tried their harder elements here... so we'll see :)