Jason Brown | Page 866 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Ross74

Medalist
I'm intrigued by the FS costume but need to see it in action. The last SL costume didn't do much for me - too shiny or something. The SP costume is fine. On first glance, it just looks like the other SP costumes over the past 3 years. He must like that style.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well, Jason is really doing the model's poses there, isn't he?

The SP costume looks a lot like the "Can't Go on Without You" to me: black, zippers, mesh. More mesh this time. I think it will go well with Sinnerman, and it does highlight his lines. Not a huge fan of mesh, gotta say. ;)

I'm trying hard to like the SL costume, but the fire is just distracting me. Does anyone else feel that way? I guess we really need to see it "in action". I liked the original gray color, but the design did cut off Jason in the middle and the fabric was a little loosey goosey for Jason's sleekness.

But as everyone else has said, if Jason's happy, I'm happy :)
I agree that the fire tones could be distracting, but I think it fits the message. I was distracted by the fullness of the original pants and the fabric under the arms always looked like sweat. This costume should correct that. The Olympics requires a little more drama, I think, and the new costume has that. It's always a thin line with SL. The little girl in the red coat was perfect. Time will tell how this costume projects, but I find myself liking it a lot.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I don’t think he needs to make a statement with his costume because it’s the Olympic year. Giving the season outsize importance can result in him feeling a lot of pressure. Look what happened in 2018. He tried to make a statement with a Hamilton program and FS program music composed just for him. He felt like he needed multiple quads and we saw a series of ever more elaborate FS costumes.

He should just let his skating be the statement. People didn’t love SL or Sinnerman bc of the costumes.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t think he needs to make a statement with his costume because it’s the Olympic year. Giving the season outsize importance can result in him feeling a lot of pressure. Look what happened in 2018. He tried to make a statement with a Hamilton program and FS program music composed just for him. He felt like he needed multiple quads and we saw a series of ever more elaborate FS costumes.

He should just let his skating be the statement. People didn’t love SL or Sinnerman bc of the costumes.

I agree that Jason should just skate in as simple a costume as he likes. I do think he likes these costumes and I can't imagine Brian or Tracy talking him into fussier costumes. This is all Jason. :). Maybe I'm overthinking this too, but Brian and Tracy aren't relying on Jason to go to the Olympics or for their own reputations. And they don't have Rohene's bling-o-meter, probably wouldn't clear Customs:laugh:

That said, he clearly likes the zippers and mesh and he's probably comfy in it. It's not that blinged up, at least for Jason.

I love the fit of the SL costume, even though I think a solid color works better. So I'll learn to love the fire. :biggrin:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I agree that Jason should just skate in as simple a costume as he likes. I do think he likes these costumes and I can't imagine Brian or Tracy talking him into fussier costumes. This is all Jason. :). Maybe I'm overthinking this too, but Brian and Tracy aren't relying on Jason to go to the Olympics or for their own reputations. And they don't have Rohene's bling-o-meter, probably wouldn't clear Customs:laugh:

That said, he clearly likes the zippers and mesh and he's probably comfy in it. It's not that blinged up, at least for Jason.

I love the fit of the SL costume, even though I think a solid color works better. So I'll learn to love the fire. :biggrin:

Yeah thank god that the bling-o-meter won’t be a factor! To be clear, I was mostly thinking of the FS costume, and I agree Jason probably loves it and no one’s coercing him into wearing it. If he discusses in an interview why he chose that particular design /its meaning to him, I probably won’t give it another thought except to occasionally mourn its less than flattering effect (IMO 😂) on his proportions.

I guess between TSL projecting possible doom due to injury and all the authoritative and opinionated blah blah blah on FSU about how likely it is that one of the up and comers will overtake him for one of the Oly spots, I’m projecting my own insecurities onto Jason’s new costume. 😉 I guess I should remind myself that just because I’m associating the new costume with mistakes he and the team made in 2018 doesn’t mean he is - or that he’s heading down a similar path this year! 😂

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Last edited:

sdwyer52

On the Ice
Thanks for those links!
Hmm. I don’t really like either. The SP costume is the best of the 2… but somehow the front reminds me of an old argyle or plaid sweater (I know - the patterns aren’t even the same). I do like the fit - simikar to his last 3 SP costumes - but I much preferred all 3 of them.

I was so glad he was changing his SL costume because I didn’t really like the gray costume. It was an appropriate subdued outfit, but I didn’t think it was well fitted and sometimes seemed you could see him sweat through it. That said - I like this one even less. The pants fit better, but really not a fan of the top (neckline, colors).

still love Jason and can’t wait to see his programs .. but the new costumes don’t appeal to me. But if Jason likes them …. 👍

does anyone know if this is the same costume designer he’s been using recently?Tge SP pants are the sane

sdwyer52

On the Ice
Well, he’s revealed the new costumes:

Free skate: https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/1435365458799173634?s=21

SP: https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/1435365112370581505?s=21

I like the SP costume a lot. Not so sure about the FS one, trying to figure out why. I think it’s because he’s long waisted, and the FS V-neck and multiple colors emphasize that and break up the line a bit while the higher neckline and single color in the SP costume and many of his more recent SP costumes minimize it. Actually, the FS top reminds me a tiny bit of a more restrained take on the S&G costume and maybe even a little of the red FS costume he wore at 2018 Nats. It’s not at all terrible, and I get it’s probably kind of an abstract representation of despair, passion etc but I think he’s capable of expressing that through his skating.

What do you guys think?
If you look at his ad - same designer in FP costume. I like both last year and this year. I love the SP costume this year. Wasn’t sure about back on SL - I think we need to see it move. The pants are the same SP pants he has used since Love is a bitch. They tightened them up last year for Slaughter. He is probably waiting for new pants to come in.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, Jason will skate a Challenger after all.:hap10:

Has Jason ever skated in Finlandia? Having a brain block....

sdwyer52

On the Ice
Uhm... Am I the only one who dislikes his new costumes? :confused: I think the FS costume is slightly better than the SP one but not that much.

Sinnerman 1.0 was the PERFECT costume for that program in my opinion: total black with some strategic see-trough, very elegant, mature and sensual. :love2: You should look at the costume and immediately connect to the the program. Sinnerman 2.0...... no. It's a big, big NO for me. Plus, he really doesn't need to become the caricature of a manga character during the Olympic season. I hope he will go back to Sinnerman 1.0 as soon as possible.

The FS costume is a bit better because I hated how he looked like in those shiny baggy gray pants two years ago. He seemed heavy and the belt didn't help either. I loved the sparkle gems at the bottom of the shirt where the the color was almost black because it gave me the idea that even in the darkest time you can still find some light, some hope like Oscar Shildler who risked his life to help innocents. This new FS seems to go in a more abstract direction which I don't particularly like. I think the contrast between the white and the dark gray/black stripes is too sharp (not to mention the yellow/orange/red combo on the left side, close to the heart). On the other hand, I like how the costume is more fitting to his body so you can really appreciate his lines.

At the end of the day we have to wait and see. Let's hope for the best for the upcoming season. :cheer::cheer::cheer:
The white is rhinestones on the SP costume. Something has to be flashy - he is performing in a big arena! I think both costumes are beautiful and fit him perfectly.

sdwyer52

On the Ice

I disagree - costumes are extremely important when presenting a program. If they weren’t, we wouldn’t be talking out it. Think about skaters that don’t wear a proper costume. It’s like going to the rink to watch a practice. When no effort at all is put in, it looks like that - this is ice skating. Part of the deal is performing and showing your best body line and skating ability.