Kazuki Tomono | Page 116 | Golden Skate

Kazuki Tomono

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
ooh, this should be a thrilling competition! Kazuki's team have the strongest lady, and the other team has the strongest man 💪 I'm excited!

Figskater23

Final Flight
ooh, this should be a thrilling competition! Kazuki's team have the strongest lady, and the other team has the strongest man 💪 I'm excited!
Who would you say is the strongest man for the other team? I don’t know all the skaters for Team Japan.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Who would you say is the strongest man for the other team? I don’t know all the skaters for Team Japan.
Shoma Uno, he is by far the strongest man in this competition, also a good friend of Kazuki so it's a shame they're not on the same team.

Meanwhile, Kazuki has been tweeting about sauna again 😂
Apparently, this is a 'Kobe Sauna & Spa Photo Plan' - you can have professional pics of yourself while in the sauna? Kazuki wonders whether he should do it after the season finishes... 🤣

surimi

Record Breaker
Very much agree with Kirara, Shoma sounds very confident and strong now. Does any other boy on Team Japan have 4T, 4S, 4F and 4Lo? I don't think so...? He'll be formidable this season. Anyhow, I'd say Kazuki is the second strongest JO man at the moment, as he looked stronger than Keiji at ice shows. Keiji would be third, if he's overcome his health issues. JO should be a nailbite-worthy competition!

A Kazuki photoshoot could be a good commercial for any sauna, so my vote says YES, he should get pro pictures made there :biggrin:

KiraraChin

Medalist
So... JSF has been announcing entries for some of the senior B/Challenger series events, but no sign of Kazuki being assigned one :frown:

I'm a bit worried because both of his GP assignments are super tough, it's gonna be hard to score many world standing points unless he skates lights out in both assignments - Lots of pressure, considering he hasn't competed internationally in almost two years!

surimi

Record Breaker
But, at the same time, we know Kazuki has medalled at very tough competitions twice, and was in top 6 at WC - that is no small feat 💪 I have faith in him! TBH, it would probably be tough for him to skate in three international competitions in a row in November - first Italy, then CS, and right after that Russia. 🤷‍♀️ I know he pulled off his big feat in 2018, skating at CdP and WC within a week of each other, but those were two events, while here we have three... I think Kazuki could very well be exhausted for Rostelecom which would be a pity. JMO.
Believe me, I do want to cheer for Kazuki at a smaller event before he retires :cheer: Let's hope for a spring event for him then!

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Very much agree with Kirara, Shoma sounds very confident and strong now. Does any other boy on Team Japan have 4T, 4S, 4F and 4Lo? I don't think so...? :biggrin:
Shun has landed 4F, 4Lz, 4T and 4S in competition, and 4Lo in training, Yuma's working on 4Lz and 4Lo, and Kao's practicing 4F I think. But Shoma's definitely the most consistent with his jumps, and considering how much of a wildcard Shun can be, I definitely think Kazuki is one of the strongest men here. He's also a much better performer than Shun as well. I'm excited to see him skate again with an audience

KiraraChin

Medalist
But, at the same time, we know Kazuki has medalled at very tough competitions twice, and was in top 6 at WC - that is no small feat 💪 I have faith in him! TBH, it would probably be tough for him to skate in three international competitions in a row in November - first Italy, then CS, and right after that Russia. 🤷‍♀️ I know he pulled off his big feat in 2018, skating at CdP and WC within a week of each other, but those were two events, while here we have three... I think Kazuki could very well be exhausted for Rostelecom which would be a pity. JMO.
Believe me, I do want to cheer for Kazuki at a smaller event before he retires :cheer: Let's hope for a spring event for him then!
You're right, I think I'm just being over-protective 😅

BTW he's still young and said nothing about retirement yet so I really hope he'll continue to compete after Beijing and we'll have plenty of opportunities to see him live. He's always been a late bloomer so I really think he will be at his peak in the 2022-26 quad.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
BTW he's still young and said nothing about retirement yet so I really hope he'll continue to compete after Beijing and we'll have plenty of opportunities to see him live. He's always been a late bloomer so I really think he will be at his peak in the 2022-26 quad.
Me too. He got stuck in a country with two fantastic skaters just a few years older than him, but after the Olympics, I think he'll make his way back onto the podium. I have high hopes for Shun, but right now they're not panning out, and Kazuki looked really good at 4CC 2020 and the Gensan short program

KiraraChin

Medalist
Me too. He got stuck in a country with two fantastic skaters just a few years older than him, but after the Olympics, I think he'll make his way back onto the podium. I have high hopes for Shun, but right now they're not panning out, and Kazuki looked really good at 4CC 2020 and the Gensan short program
Exactly. I don't know if you know this, but it took him a looooong time to find his groove in juniors - he flopped for three years straight before he could even get selected for the JGP. Yet, he didn't give up and ended up winning Japanese junior Nats and the following year, he was 5th in the world 💪

His coach said he's a 'step by step' child, he keeps getting better but it takes him a bit of time to get there. Also, considering he has fantastic fitness and so far no serious injuries (knock wood :pray:), I think and hope he can continue to skate at a high level for a long time, and his hard work and perseverance will pay off in seniors in the same way it did in juniors.

surimi

Record Breaker
You're right, I think I'm just being over-protective 😅

Oh, I meant to put stress on us seeing him at a smaller -ergo usually affordable- event; as in, smaller than GP, 4CC and WC :) Sorry if I wasn't being clear. If, as I think he will, Yuzuru chooses to retire after OG, and so does Keiji, Kazuki may well become Japan's #3 man, and will compete at the biggest events, though CS still sounds very likely for him. :)

KiraraChin

Medalist
Oh, I meant to put stress on us seeing him at a smaller -ergo usually affordable- event; as in, smaller than GP, 4CC and WC :) Sorry if I wasn't being clear. If, as I think he will, Yuzuru chooses to retire after OG, and so does Keiji, Kazuki may well become Japan's #3 man, and will compete at the biggest events, though CS still sounds very likely for him. :)
Yessss It would be wonderful to see him at a smaller and affordable event here in Europe *cries in Coup Du Printemps 2020*

About the rest of the field, yes I agree. Again something similar happened to him juniors - he struggled for a few years with inconsistency in a crowded field, but eventually the opportunities appeared, and by that time he was absolutely ready to step up. I have a feeling something similar will happen after Beijing...

Figskater23

Final Flight
Kazuki can do it. This season is going to be intense for sure but he has a strong spirit in him ready to jump out and fight for this. I haven’t seen him skate long but I can see it in his eyes.

KiraraChin

Medalist
A fan received a Kazuki picture from FS Life, with his autograph and... a little tiger 🐯

The funny thing is that FS Life also sent pictures of Sota Yamamoto and he drew a dragon on his own picture, so Kazuki and Sota are portraying themselves as the tiger 🐅 & the dragon 🐉
This is a common theme in Chinese (and Asian) culture, as per description:
The Chinese have an interesting idiom: "the tiger and the dragon". This refers to two spirits so wildly different and yet at the same time similar, mortal enemies intricately linked together by destiny. Both the Dragon and the Tiger are symbols of Chinese Buddhism, with the tiger lunging straight ahead to bulldoze through his opponents, while the dragon is revered more for patience and wisdom from which he then derives fighting power. With neither able to conquer the other, these kingly beasts represent a balance of power, "hard" and "soft" styles coming together to form a harmony between Yin and Yang.

Figskater23

Final Flight
A fan received a Kazuki picture from FS Life, with his autograph and... a little tiger 🐯

The funny thing is that FS Life also sent pictures of Sota Yamamoto and he drew a dragon on his own picture, so Kazuki and Sota are portraying themselves as the tiger 🐅 & the dragon 🐉
This is a common theme in Chinese (and Asian) culture, as per description:
The Chinese have an interesting idiom: "the tiger and the dragon". This refers to two spirits so wildly different and yet at the same time similar, mortal enemies intricately linked together by destiny. Both the Dragon and the Tiger are symbols of Chinese Buddhism, with the tiger lunging straight ahead to bulldoze through his opponents, while the dragon is revered more for patience and wisdom from which he then derives fighting power. With neither able to conquer the other, these kingly beasts represent a balance of power, "hard" and "soft" styles coming together to form a harmony between Yin and Yang.
That’s really interesting. From what I can see Kazuki knows what he wants and he is doing everything he can to face the battles ahead straight on with all the power, strength and emotion he has.