2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Artur Dmitriev switched from Russia to the US! He will be competing at the National qualifier in Alpharetta, Georgia. That was unexpected! Although he did live in the US when he was younger for seven years.
You know when I read this in the ''2021-22 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes" thread my first reaction was "april the 1st was a long time ago". As you say, this is totally unexpected.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
You know when I read this in the ''2021-22 Retirements, Splits & Partner Changes" thread my first reaction was "april the 1st was a long time ago". As you say, this is totally unexpected.
There is not a thread for Nationality changes, to my knowledge. So is the Retirements, Splits & Partner changes thread where you mention it?

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
There is not a thread to my knowledge for Nationality changes, so is the Retirements, Splits & Partner changes thread where you mention it?
No I just thought it - and decided not to respond with a post. Then you posted this switch here as well, and I felt I would mention it after all. But just in the sense to illustrate that like you said, the development is totally unexpected.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If Andrew withdrew can he still enter 2 more or is he limited to just one?

Although I am not 100.00% certain, my strong belief is that it is not possible to add a different Championship Series event after a withdrawal.
Skaters were allowed to enter a maximum of two events, and I feel pretty sure that Torgashev now is down to one (Alpharetta, in his case).

If Dinh Tran had entered two (which is likely, IMO), I think he also now must be down to one.

Artur Dmitriev switched from Russia to the US! He will be competing at the National qualifier in Alpharetta, Georgia. That was unexpected! Although he did live in the US when he was younger for seven years.

Ohhh, ignorant me did not know that "the" Artur Dmitriev used to live in the U.S. 🤭
My (faulty :laugh:) reaction to the Alpharetta list had been to wonder whether a skater in the U.S. happened to have the same name (which seemed very possible to me).

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
No I just thought it - and decided not to respond with a post. Then you posted this switch here as well, and I felt I would mention it after all. But just in the sense to illustrate that like you said, the development is totally unexpected.
I was just wondering in general, because I don't know where to post Nationality Changes. I am assuming that is where it goes. Since it was a Nationality change, and he is skating for the US now, I decided to post it in both.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Sorry, I didn't mean where you mention it, I meant where I would post a Nationality change. I didn't clarify that well. My bad!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do we know for sure that Artur has switched? Can he skate in Alpharetta as an "outsider"? (I honestly don't know).

Although this is how Yaro started, before he was officially released. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Do we know for sure that Artur has switched? Can he skate in Alpharetta as an "outsider"? (I honestly don't know).

Although this is how Yaro started, before he was officially released. :)

Per USFS (p. 4):

"Foreign or released athletes residing in the U.S. who currently represent another ISU federation other than U.S. Figure Skating are not eligible to participate in the Championship Series or any designated Championship Series competition."​

I think Yaro was fine to start competing in the 2019-20 USFS qualifying season because he already had officially requested release from Ukraine and was no longer currently representing Ukraine.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Per USFS (p. 4):

"Foreign or released athletes residing in the U.S. who currently represent another ISU federation other than U.S. Figure Skating are not eligible to participate in the Championship Series or any designated Championship Series competition."​

I think Yaro was fine to start competing in the 2019-20 USFS qualifying season because he already had officially requested release from Ukraine and was no longer currently representing Ukraine.

Thank you. So it is possible that Artur is in "limbo" (not representing one or the other) or he could in fact be representing the US now.

Very interesting.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

They are the same Will Annis.

His USFS bio apparently needs updating, but it currently says, "Previously competed in ice dance with partner Jasmine Lanata (2016-2018)."

Jasmine Lanata is the partner of the intermediate dancer Will Annis on the Alpharetta list.
I guess they have revived their partnership.

ETA (on Oct 15):
To be clear, I am saying that I think it would be nice for Will's bio to mention that *in addition* to singles, he plans to compete in ice dance in the 2021-22 season. Not just that he competed (past tense) in ice dance from 2016-2018.​

Last edited:

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Does Dmitriev live in the US now? How do we know this isn't someone else with the same name?
He lived in the US for about 7 years as he was younger, but that was when he younger. This one is in the Senior category, and we haven't seen Artur compete for quite some time. My guess is that it is the same one.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It looks like it is confirmed.

For me, what the Wikipedia page says is not confirmation.
Literally any random fan could have edited the Wikipedia profile -- based on just an assumption that the Artur Dmitriev who is on the Alpharetta list is the same person as the Artur Dmitriev who skated for Russia.
If I wanted to, I could log into Wikipedia right now and delete all the stuff about Oct 2021 and competing for the U.S., and about Championship Series and Alpharetta.
(But don't worry -- I am not really going to delete or change anything.)

At this point, I do believe that it is likely that the "two" Arturs are in fact the same person.
But one random fan's revision of the Wikipedia page is not definitive at all, and I would not cite it as anything meaningful.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
For me, what the Wikipedia page says is not confirmation.
Literally any random fan could have edited the Wikipedia profile -- based on just an assumption that the Artur Dmitriev who is on the Alpharetta list is the same person as the Artur Dmitriev who skated for Russia.
If I wanted to, I could log into Wikipedia right now and delete all the stuff about Oct 2021 and competing for the U.S., and about Championship Series and Alpharetta.
(But don't worry -- I am not really going to delete or change anything.)

At this point, I do believe that it is likely that the "two" Arturs are in fact the same person.
But one random fan's revision of the Wikipedia page is not definitive at all, and I would not cite it as anything meaningful.
I don't always trust Wikipedia. They aren't the most trustworthy source to check. But I think that it is the same one as well. Russia tends to have a lot of skaters switching their Nationalities. I believe it is, and once we have an article, or an interview, or when we watch compete at this comp, then we get better clarification.

Dogo

On the Ice
They are the same Will Annis.

His USFS bio apparently needs updating, but it currently says, "Previously competed in ice dance with partner Jasmine Lanata (2016-2018)."

Jasmine Lanata is the partner of the intermediate dancer Will Annis on the Alpharetta list.
I guess they have revived their partnership.
Wait whaaaat? My boy Will Annis was (possibly IS) an ice dancer now (or is BACK to being one)?? The power on his jumps never seizes to amaze me, but now I'm blown away by the fact that he was a dancer. I guess it's too late to jump off from this fandom 'train' that has already departed. So, ice dance thread here I go..🤣