2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

Arch-

Spectator
His coach Todd Eldredge said that he was "on track" to get citizenship at the end of this year.

But of course, that shouldn't have any impact on his skate America assignment. I hope he's OK.
He was officially just released from the Ukraine on May 21, 2021. Ukraine has a rule that anyone who competed in an Olympics has a 3 year waiting period before releasing eligibility and passport. If I remember right, it was in 2018 he and the Ukrainian Fed had a falling out.

century2009

On the Ice
I love Nathan....
Um. Did you actually go through this list and who went to the Olympics for selection for the team?

First Nathan has defeated all the current ones and old ones that retired (Patrick, Javi, Hanyu, Uno, etc)

At the moment he is the number #1 men skater in the world and has been.

I dont even know why you have skaters here 40- 70 years ago across different generation with Different rules different competitors different settings. Todd Eldridge? Really? No offense to him because love Todd but to compare him to Nathan?!!

Dont even know why you are comparing Dancing vs. Pairs vs. Singles? You know the thread is "US Mens Figure Skating"?

So Pap/Cizeron competes against Nathan Chen? Or Michelle Kwan 25 years ago compete against Nathan Chen?

And you are proving the point that the very successful skaters not even as successful as Nathan Chen do get a pass to the Olympics even if they dont show up.

So Nathan Chen who records #1 for many season should NOT be selected to the Olympic team but everyone else should

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He was officially just released from the Ukraine on May 21, 2021. Ukraine has a rule that anyone who competed in an Olympics has a 3 year waiting period before releasing eligibility and passport. If I remember right, it was in 2018 he and the Ukrainian Fed had a falling out.
That doesn’t affect his citizenship though. That’s a separate issue.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Welcome to Goldenskate, post long and post often!

Yes, you are remembering right, Yaro has said that the Ukraine Fed misled him about certain comps and his eligibility. He is now eligible to compete for the US without citizenship in all national ETA: and international events except the Olys, where he needs to be a citizen.

Thank you for your list of multiple champions across time; you are quite right that many have come before Nathan. The names show how what good company Nathan is in to achieve what he has achieved.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I love Nathan but ummm...The answer is the same in all 4 disciplines: lots. Lots of countries had/have a Nathan Chen. He's also not an Olympic Champion so some of these skaters are, comparatively speaking, greater.

How quickly we forget about OAR's Medvedeva prior to 2018 being unbeatable "might as well give her the gold". And Canada's Patrick Chan being a foregone conclusion, fight for 2nd, unbeatable in 2016. Or USA's Michelle Kwan for 3 Olympics.

So just off the top of my head and not meant as a complete list but here are other Nathan Chens:

Canada with Chan, Orser & Virtue/Moir

USA has Eldridge, Hamilton, Dick, Michelle Kwan, Meno/Sand, Davis/White, Shibs.

Russia's Pairs in literally every quad except 2018 (although I think team Candyman were 2017 World Champions), Plush, Nemov, Yagutin, the guy in Center Stage, Medvedeva, Slutskaya

Japan has Yuzu, Uno, Takahashi, Arakawa

Norway had Henie

Germany has Witt

France has Papadakis/Cizeron, Bonaly, James/Ciprès & that dance team from Salt Lake City quad.

Spain has Javi

China has Han, Boyang, Chin Lu, Sui/Han, Zhao Hongbo w/various partners.

GB has Torvill/Dean

Basically the rest of Europe/Eurasia/Australia all had/have 5x+ national champions because there is little competition or interest.
Because this is US mens and you want to list multiple time champs you forgot some: Jeremy Abbott 4 time US Champ, Brian Boitano 4time US Champ, Johnny Weir 3 Time US Champ.

And even though it doesn't have anything to do with this thread mentioning Russian Mens Champs....you mentioned "The guy who was in center stage."--It's Ilia Kulik, who won the 98 Olympics.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is a shame he doesn't get a GP. He has a quad, great PCS, and is skating like a Senior skater.
Jimmy has been tearing up the Senior Bs. And he has quads and his skating is markedly improved.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Because this is US mens and you want to list multiple time champs you forgot some: Jeremy Abbott 4 time US Champ, Brian Boitano 4time US Champ, Johnny Weir 3 Time US Champ.

And even though it doesn't have anything to do with this thread mentioning Russian Mens Champs....you mentioned "The guy who was in center stage."--It's Ilia Kulik, who won the 98 Olympics.

Brian Boitano, Jeremy Abbot and Johnny Weir are all wonderful skaters. And Brian may have competed for longer if it weren’t for the money to be made turning pro. It’s difficult to compare across decades because, for example, GP did not exist when Brian Boitano was skating, and there was the whole professional/amateur thing. None of them were undefeated in every competition for 3, close to 4 years now.

I did not look up every single skater suggested but Davis and White were not undefeated for 3 years nor Javi nor Hanyu, though of course Hanyu’s 2 OGM are amazing. Meno and Sand did not win a Worlds. Our last World Champion pair was Tai and Randy in 1979. Michelle Kwan was not undefeated.

I’m not listing multiple time champs. I’m listing skaters who were undefeated for 3 years. I mean if he keeps skating long enough someone is going to defeat him inevitably. If he wins the OGM (which I am not pre awarding him, I am l pre awarding him a spot on the team though) he would be undefeated for 4 years and that would be astonishing. Again very difficult to compare across many decades as Mr Button did things that are no longer possible such as an American winning the European championships and North American championships that no longer exist. Nathan really calms my nerves I must say. I don’t want to vomit before he skates like I do my precious babies. And I adore that he looks like he just got up and grabbed the first thing he saw in his closet (even if Vera Wang did design it).

I think he’s not appreciated in his own country. The men’s long at Nationals is about 1/2 full of spectators.

Anyway I’m turning this into a Nathan fan fest and that’s not my intention.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm sad for Yaro, he would have nailed it in Vegas. But... I'm so happy for Jimmy! He's been on fire this season and deserves more international competition.
I'm so sad to hear about Yaro! The second I saw his Elvis program I was a fan :biggrin:.

I know his skate broke just before Lombardia, but I assume that issue would have been fixed? I hope he's not injured.

Nice to hear Jimmy Ma is his replacement though, another very engaging skater. Good luck to him in this event!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Brian Boitano, Jeremy Abbot and Johnny Weir are all wonderful skaters. And Brian may have competed for longer if it weren’t for the money to be made turning pro. It’s difficult to compare across decades because, for example, GP did not exist when Brian Boitano was skating, and there was the whole professional/amateur thing. None of them were undefeated in every competition for 3, close to 4 years now.

I did not look up every single skater suggested but Davis and White were not undefeated for 3 years nor Javi nor Hanyu, though of course Hanyu’s 2 OGM are amazing. Meno and Sand did not win a Worlds. Our last World Champion pair was Tai and Randy in 1979. Michelle Kwan was not undefeated.

I’m not listing multiple time champs. I’m listing skaters who were undefeated for 3 years. I mean if he keeps skating long enough someone is going to defeat him inevitably. If he wins the OGM (which I am not pre awarding him, I am l pre awarding him a spot on the team though) he would be undefeated for 4 years and that would be astonishing. Again very difficult to compare across many decades as Mr Button did things that are no longer possible such as an American winning the European championships and North American championships that no longer exist. Nathan really calms my nerves I must say. I don’t want to vomit before he skates like I do my precious babies. And I adore that he looks like he just got up and grabbed the first thing he saw in his closet (even if Vera Wang did design it).

I think he’s not appreciated in his own country. The men’s long at Nationals is about 1/2 full of spectators.

Anyway I’m turning this into a Nathan fan fest and that’s not my intention.
My post was to the person I quoted. Never did I state that they were undefeated for consecutive years, that's basically impossible in skating with the exception of maybe Chan, Chen and Hanyu and V/M when they were competing. Otherwise, it's pretty silly to talk about. Perhaps, we should just get this thread back on track ok? And let's not jinx Nathan. As far as Nathan's costumes, it's not Vera that wants plain garb for him, it's him. He likes that aesthetic for his costumes and it's perfectly okay. Vera has done excellent costumes for Kwan and Lysacek in the past.

Back to US men now.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My post was to the person I quoted. Never did I state that they were undefeated for consecutive years, that's basically impossible in skating with the exception of maybe Chan, Chen and Hanyu and V/M when they were competing. Otherwise, it's pretty silly to talk about. Perhaps, we should just get this thread back on track ok? And let's not jinx Nathan. As far as Nathan's costumes, it's not Vera that wants plain garb for him, it's him. He likes that aesthetic for his costumes and it's perfectly okay. Vera has done excellent costumes for Kwan and Lysacek in the past.

Back to US men now.
Ok I literally said I love his costumes. Jiminy Christmas.

And I also literally said in my original post that it’s extraordinarily rare for anyone to do that. In fact that was my point entirely. That skaters in general do not go undefeated for multiple seasons.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
What rags is Nathan wearing this season😉..perhaps he might get a bit of sparkle as it's Olympic season. Put him in bin liner and he would look good!! 😂..do we know his music yet? I was never really a fan of his skating until last years Philip Glass FS , that was a beautiful contemporary piece , really loved it. He does like his laid back look. Which is fine but bit of effort Nathan please this year!! No egg splat shirt please. Don't be raiding SLB closet anymore !! 😂