2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
:ot: Canadians, Genie Bouchard was in the booth calling a match this afternoon at the Indian Wells Masters Tournament. She is really great and if she's officially retired from competitive tennis, this would be perfect for her.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:ot: Canadians, Genie Bouchard was in the booth calling a match this afternoon at the Indian Wells Masters Tournament. She is really great and if she's officially retired from competitive tennis, this would be perfect for her.
she has just been through a very major shoulder surgery... hoping to get back to tennis... so let's wish her the best.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan will turn 30 on Jan 23, 2022, just before the Olympics. How many male skaters have continued on into their 30s without losing their competitive edge?

He is now a married man with a child and that gives him a whole new set of responsibilities.

mrrice

Record Breaker
she has just been through a very major shoulder surgery... hoping to get back to tennis... so let's wish her the best.
She talked about that during the match. For some reason, I thought she had retired from Competitive Tennis but, she made it clear that she is currently rehabing her shoulder and plans to return. She has a great tennis mind and I'd love to see her return to peak form as she was/is very exciting to watch.

P.S. Do you have any idea what's going on with Milos Raonic? He's another top 5 player that seems to have dropped off the map.

Last edited:

ashleyming

On the Ice
nobody is dismissive of Keegan. You have to read the context. I personally ADORE Keegan. I first saw him at ACI and was mesmerized by his speed, his spins, and his will power. At that event, his laces got broken or undone... it took him about 60 seconds to get them fixed... so, he had to cut down his choreo and jump and spin until the end... he was on a mission. He was fighting so hard for every element he could manage to include in such circumstances.

What has been discussed was in the context of missing Patrick, because since his retirement, Canadian skating hasn't had a steady and strong leader who is competing to win world medals. Some of us, definitely myself, are also mentioning that Patrick's style of skating is unmatched. We were spoiled for so many years with Patrick, a bit more than a decade !!!! That's an awesome career for an awesome skater and leader.

So, though I would say the general feeling in this thread is that we love Keegan, we wish he could show more consistency so he could compete with the top guys. There is nothing negative really. Keegan has very big skates to fill in the context of the series of Canadian men.

This is actually one of the most positive place to talk about Keegan :) if anything, there are some moments of tough love as we wish Canadian skaters the best.... just like we are tough on Nam or Roman.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I just hope Keegan could achieve something this season, probably my "something" here is a medal at Worlds or GPF or 4CC. Somehow I just want to see him on the podium at the main competitions for once. 🙏

mrrice

Record Breaker
Keegan will turn 30 on Jan 23, 2022, just before the Olympics. How many male skaters have continued on into their 30s without losing their competitive edge?

He is now a married man with a child and that gives him a whole new set of responsibilities.
I think his new child might give him an extra boost as he prepares for the games. Canada has 2 spots, right? Keegan is responsible for keeping those spots and if he's on the Podium, including Pewter, I hope they send him to the Games.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan obviously wants an Olympic berth, but after this season, I could see him moving on. On the personal side, he not only has his own family to support, but also has some responsibility for his late brother's children as well.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
nobody is dismissive of Keegan. You have to read the context. I personally ADORE Keegan. I first saw him at ACI and was mesmerized by his speed, his spins, and his will power. At that event, his laces got broken or undone... it took him about 60 seconds to get them fixed... so, he had to cut down his choreo and jump and spin until the end... he was on a mission. He was fighting so hard for every element he could manage to include in such circumstances.

What has been discussed was in the context of missing Patrick, because since his retirement, Canadian skating hasn't had a steady and strong leader who is competing to win world medals. Some of us, definitely myself, are also mentioning that Patrick's style of skating is unmatched. We were spoiled for so many years with Patrick, a bit more than a decade !!!! That's an awesome career for an awesome skater and leader.

So, though I would say the general feeling in this thread is that we love Keegan, we wish he could show more consistency so he could compete with the top guys. There is nothing negative really. Keegan has very big skates to fill in the context of the series of Canadian men.

This is actually one of the most positive place to talk about Keegan :) if anything, there are some moments of tough love as we wish Canadian skaters the best.... just like we are tough on Nam or Roman.
Keegan is my favorite male skater. Possibly ever.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Keegan is my favorite male skater. Possibly ever.
That's great for Keegan to have such fans. I don't think I need to repeat what I said. I really like him too. I just like Patrick more and I miss him dearly, especially as it will be the first olympics since 2010 Patrick will not be competing at. Regarding his chances at the games, I think that the first two spots are pretty much locked down... though of course, ice is slippery... Keegan is in the fight for a bronze with many other skaters... however, he will need to land everything he has.... He had a great event altogether at Fnlandia but popping a couple axels cost him big time... He cannot afford such mistakes.

mrrice

Record Breaker
That's great for Keegan to have such fans. I don't think I need to repeat what I said. I really like him too. I just like Patrick more and I miss him dearly, especially as it will be the first olympics since 2010 Patrick will not be competing at. Regarding his chances at the games, I think that the first two spots are pretty much locked down... though of course, ice is slippery... Keegan is in the fight for a bronze with many other skaters... however, he will need to land everything he has.... He had a great event altogether at Fnlandia but popping a couple axels cost him big time... He cannot afford such mistakes.
Me Too! I am so happy that he has that team Gold to go along with his many titles and for me, he is the best skater in Canadian Men's History.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think being in first psyched him out. He said in the K&C he had been nervous. I just wish him to never retire. He can retire when his kid gets old enough to skate and then he can coach him😂😂😂

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think being in first psyched him out. He said in the K&C he had been nervous. I just wish him to never retire. He can retire when his kid gets old enough to skate and then he can coach him😂😂😂
hopefully keegan will now know how it is to be in contention for a title and use it when it matters most :) go go go ;) i am okay with him retiring next year... he is getting old... i want him to be able to play with his kid(s) when they get older... i mean, that wonderful knee bend has a price ... i cannot imagine the wear and tear a skater who has been doing quads for like 10-15 years would have.... better retire healthy than push the body and retire with an injury

ashleyming

On the Ice
hopefully keegan will now know how it is to be in contention for a title and use it when it matters most :) go go go ;) i am okay with him retiring next year... he is getting old... i want him to be able to play with his kid(s) when they get older... i mean, that wonderful knee bend has a price ... i cannot imagine the wear and tear a skater who has been doing quads for like 10-15 years would have.... better retire healthy than push the body and retire with an injury
Wondering how everything would change in the team after his retirement. Keegan is really a big brother of all our cute Canadian maple bears. :ghug:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Wondering how everything would change in the team after his retirement. Keegan is really a big brother of all our cute Canadian maple bears. :ghug:
there are a bunch of kids in their early twenties (even Nam is LOL) who need to step it up... sometimes, it takes a few people to retire to get there... the void created by Kaetlyn's retirement and Gabby's injuries + to a lesser extent Alaine and Larkyn's retirements and Veronik's ongoing injuries has paved the way to 3 teenagers taking the podium at Nationals 2020... Madeline has stepped up her game big time since then. So, I am confident that one or even more of our boys will grow into leader(s). We hoped it would happen in 2018... but this cycle has been difficult for Canadian athletes with big skates to fill + the pandemic... I am confident in a renewal for the next cycle !

ashleyming

On the Ice
there are a bunch of kids in their early twenties (even Nam is LOL) who need to step it up... sometimes, it takes a few people to retire to get there... the void created by Kaetlyn's retirement and Gabby's injuries + to a lesser extent Alaine and Larkyn's retirements and Veronik's ongoing injuries has paved the way to 3 teenagers taking the podium at Nationals 2020... Madeline has stepped up her game big time since then. So, I am confident that one or even more of our boys will grow into leader(s). We hoped it would happen in 2018... but this cycle has been difficult for Canadian athletes with big skates to fill + the pandemic... I am confident in a renewal for the next cycle !
Oh Gabby! Talking about her just make me feel sad. Unfortunately, her career path has gone in a different way after 2018. Reading the comments and seeing so many people criticizing her for letting social media take up all of her practice time (she was so busy with the target of landing her 3T-3T combo on Instagram and Tiktok, LOL), I can only shake my head. 🤷‍♂️ After all, the only girl in the gang who used to be on the World podium is her.

Balloon

On the Ice
I just watched the replay of Gabby at the October hub competition, too bad she’s definitely not skating the way she was. 169. Total score with struggles in most of the landings