2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'd rather that Will make a decision on which discipline he wants to focus on because he won't be able to do both at once for long we see it all the time eventually a skater has to pick which one or the other by the time they get to Seniors and i think his future lies in singles competition.
Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. I remember when Kristi Yamaguchi decided to focus on singles and it really hurt her pairs partner, Rudy Galindo, for a couple of seasons before he finally recovered and won his championship in Singles.

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Did Nathan ever give a reason for his poor perforamances in Korea? Was it that the nerves got to him or was he having the "twisties"? It's always potentially there, when your body just doesn't feel like jumping. Imagine having the twisties with a 5 quad program?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did Nathan ever give a reason for his poor perforamances in Korea? Was it that the nerves got to him or was he having the "twisties"? It's always potentially there, when your body just doesn't feel like jumping. Imagine having the twisties with a 5 quad program?
I can’t remember but I’m willing to bet someone can. Twisties is losing your spatial awareness in the air. Does this happen to figure skaters?

I’m very worried about Bradie at this point.

sheetz

Record Breaker
He said it was mostly nerves. If you haven't noticed he's been keeping a relatively low profile this season and didn't even do a Skate America conference call, instead opting only for the one for the Team USA media summit.

arewhyaen

On the Ice
Is Nathan Chen's wiki accurate? Under programs for this season, it states he's using last year's SP, and for his LP it will be selections from Phillip Glass (like last year's). Is he really just re-using last years programs cause that would be pretty disappointing after coming up with some really innovative and intriguing programs over the last cycle.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Nathan Chen's wiki accurate? Under programs for this season, it states he's using last year's SP, and for his LP it will be selections from Phillip Glass (like last year's). Is he really just re-using last years programs cause that would be pretty disappointing after coming up with some really innovative and intriguing programs over the last cycle.

No, it is not accurate. Nathan said (I think in his Team USA media presser) that he does not talk about his programs until he presents them.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I honestly don't think that's accurate, considering how uncomfortable he seemed in his short program for last season. Bits of choreography kept getting taken out over time until he was doing the bare minimum and he seemed to struggle with embodying the desperado role.

However, I wouldn't mind if he decided to use Phillip Glass again, that was gorgeous. 😍

Kathy1

On the Ice
I am thrilled that Jimmy Ma will be skating in Las Vegas this weekend. It will be great for new fans to discover this wonderful skater, but on a personal note I will be able to heal from a very negative experience that happened to me last year after his performance at U.S. nationals. He has two great programs this year and I haven't been so excited with an American man's free program since Max Aaron skated to The Lion King.

arewhyaen

On the Ice
It's interesting reading the narrative the press is giving Nathan Chen heading into the 2022 Olympics which seems to be "redemption for 2018 after being heavily favored and faltering at Pyeongchang."

I dont think there's any doubt that Nathan fell below expectations in 2018, but I don't remember him being *that* much of a favorite heading into the Olympics...maybe an outside favorite, but not THE favorite from 2018. Nathan bombed at 2018 worlds, and had a run of 2nd place free programs in the 17-18 season suggesting his form wasn't where it needed to be. Sure he beat Hanyu at 4CC and an injured Hanyu at Rostelecom, and barely beat Shoma at the GPF, but Nathan didn't have that aura of infallibility that he has now. I remember the overall thinking still being "If Hanyu skates clean, he'll win gold." I remember it being Hanyu as the favorite, with Shoma, Nathan, Javier, Boyang and MAYBE Patrick and Mikhail kind of being lumped into the same group of "favored for a medal, could beat Hanyu if he's off." But I don't know, maybe I'm just remembering things wrong.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's interesting reading the narrative the press is giving Nathan Chen heading into the 2022 Olympics which seems to be "redemption for 2018 after being heavily favored and faltering at Pyeongchang."

I dont think there's any doubt that Nathan fell below expectations in 2018, but I don't remember him being *that* much of a favorite heading into the Olympics...maybe an outside favorite, but not THE favorite from 2018. Nathan bombed at 2018 worlds, and had a run of 2nd place free programs in the 17-18 season suggesting his form wasn't where it needed to be. Sure he beat Hanyu at 4CC and an injured Hanyu at Rostelecom, and barely beat Shoma at the GPF, but Nathan didn't have that aura of infallibility that he has now. I remember the overall thinking still being "If Hanyu skates clean, he'll win gold." I remember it being Hanyu as the favorite, with Shoma, Nathan, Javier, Boyang and MAYBE Patrick and Mikhail kind of being lumped into the same group of "favored for a medal, could beat Hanyu if he's off." But I don't know, maybe I'm just remembering things wrong.

I don't think the press is wrong with their narrative now.

The narrative in the American press was indeed, Nathan Chen, the last best hope for gold. Along with the Nathan Broadcasting Company's emphases during the Olys.:biggrin:

I don't think skating fans thought Nathan was a lock, but those articles weren't meant for skating fans. ;)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
In 2018? Aratyunian vaguely alluded that Chen didn’t listen to him at the time, experimenting. He gave no details, but suggests some sort of a learning experience.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't think the press is wrong with their narrative now.

The narrative in the American press was indeed, Nathan Chen, the last best hope for gold. Along with the Nathan Broadcasting Company's emphases during the Olys.:biggrin:

I don't think skating fans thought Nathan was a lock, but those articles weren't meant for skating fans. ;)
I didn't think Nathan was a lock before but, I certainly do this time around. He has defeated all of his major challengers and IMO, is THE Man to beat in 2022.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In 2018? Aratyunian vaguely alluded that Chen didn’t listen to him at the time, experimenting. He gave no details, but suggests some sort of a learning experience.

Good old Raf. ;) Somewhere, someday, I am going to read a quote from him saying "The skater did everything the way I asked and the way I coached and it just didn't work out"

I would trust Nathan himself, who said that the pressure got to him. Nathan has said that never having felt Olympic pressure before, it was in fact a learning experience, and that now he knows what it feels like.

This time, NBC will be right when they call Nathan the favorite for gold. :)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Good old Raf. ;) Somewhere, someday, I am going to read a quote from him saying "The skater did everything the way I asked and the way I coached and it just didn't work out"
LOL, that's probably what he says of Mariah Bell. His "two year technique" hasn't caught on with her after FIVE years. You'd think she'd have realized that and gone somewhere else. But maybe she didn't want to risk another two years of bs from another coach?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
LOL, that's probably what he says of Mariah Bell. His "two year technique" hasn't caught on with her after FIVE years. You'd think she'd have realized that and gone somewhere else. But maybe she didn't want to risk another two years of bs from another coach?

Well, keeping this with the men, I have yet to see any improvement (in fact, I have yet to see anything) with my beloved Andrew T. Every skating coach gives the two year spiel (it must be in the Sekret Koaching handbook) and Andrew supposedly has been injured and is still in the two year timeframe, but time's a wasting.

Now that I have a skater I care a lot about in Raf's camp, I'll be watching;)