2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am surprised that Walsh and Michaud are still together. She is nearly as tall as he is, her shoulders are nearly as broad, and she is not exactly a wisp of a girl. Their lifts make me anxious.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, it looks like the Olympics Pairs and Ice Dance teams for the Olympics are locked in. W/M were really sloppy here and this last place distant finish is not going to help. Their chances for making the Olympics is very slim now. For Men’s, another 8th place finish. But, not in last place. I was so sad and surprised to find out Nam is so depressed and discouraged from the off season. His persona gives me the impression that he is happy. Hoping he can feel better. Keegan and him are skating in their last season. I was scared Nam would finish last at this event. Surprisingly, he actually didn’t do too poorly. This event might actually help him make a push for that second spot. It is between him and Romsky with Conrad and maybe Joseph having an outside shot.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, it looks like the Olympics Pairs and Ice Dance teams for the Olympics are locked in. W/M were really sloppy here and this last place distant finish is not going to help. Their chances for making the Olympics is very slim now. For Men’s, another 8th place finish. But, not in last place. I was so sad and surprised to find out Nam is so depressed and discouraged from the off season. His persona gives me the impression that he is happy. Hoping he can feel better. Keegan and him are skating in their last season. I was scared Nam would finish last at this event. Surprisingly, he actually didn’t do too poorly. This event might actually help him make a push for that second spot. It is between him and Romsky with Conrad and maybe Joseph having an outside shot.

Admittedly, I haven't been Nam's biggest fan in recent seasons, but for the life of me, I can't figure out his scoring or placement here. I haven't looked at the protocols yet, but I thought his programs are better than I've seen in years - he seems to be more authentic. He landed most of his content OK - certainly no worse than half the field. He did appear to be slow on television, but speed is hard to judge over the airways, given the cameras are generally centered on the skaters.

I don't get it.

ashleyming

On the Ice
Admittedly, I haven't been Nam's biggest fan in recent seasons, but for the life of me, I can't figure out his scoring or placement here. I haven't looked at the protocols yet, but I thought his programs are better than I've seen in years - he seems to be more authentic. He landed most of his content OK - certainly no worse than half the field. He did appear to be slow on television, but speed is hard to judge over the airways, given the cameras are generally centered on the skaters.

I don't get it.
Somehow, I feel choked every time I look back at Nam's 2 performances at Skate America 2021. Remembering what he said in the interview afterwards makes me even sadder. His career path has turned up and down ever since his senior debut, but he always keeps smiling as if everything will be fine at last (and I wish it were fine). And just before the last moments of competitive career, he did admit that he was in a low mental state, I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I like them, but it didn't really scream, "Who cares about Eric and Vanessa? We're here to fight for our Olympic dream!" They better get in the game, because Skate Canada isn't going to give them anything.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well... to me, Walsh and Michaud were always a place holder due to the many retirements that have happened in the recent years. I like them individually, and yes, they have a good connection, skating together as juniors, but I don't think they are great together. Also, they have had issues with throws for a long time, and SBS.... their lifts are solid but limited, especially the twist lift. So what's left?

On top of that, it's not just about Vanessa and Eric coming back and already showing more promise than them. It's about Stellato Deschamps who are so strong as well with much better lifts and throws and pair elements... (same issues with SBS jumps) ... Also, if you have both Walsh and Michaud and Matte and Ferland skate clean, base value and choreography/programs would give the edge to Matte and Ferland IMHO.

So Walsh and Michaud could end up as low as 5th at Nationals or even lower if they skated like this.

This being said, I remember them skating very well and being drawn into their performances. I am mostly basing my comment on this weekend's competition and we all know that our Canadian skaters haven't had much of a chance to compete in the last couple years. So, I remain hopeful that they will get better. I would like the Canadian pairs chosen for the Olympics to be those who skate very well and not have a contest of who has made the least damaging mistakes.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
well... to me, Walsh and Michaud were always a place holder due to the many retirements that have happened in the recent years. I like them individually, and yes, they have a good connection, skating together as juniors, but I don't think they are great together. Also, they have had issues with throws for a long time, and SBS.... their lifts are solid but limited, especially the twist lift. So what's left?

On top of that, it's not just about Vanessa and Eric coming back and already showing more promise than them. It's about Stellato Deschamps who are so strong as well with much better lifts and throws and pair elements... (same issues with SBS jumps) ... Also, if you have both Walsh and Michaud and Matte and Ferland skate clean, base value and choreography/programs would give the edge to Matte and Ferland IMHO.

So Walsh and Michaud could end up as low as 5th at Nationals or even lower if they skated like this.

This being said, I remember them skating very well and being drawn into their performances. I am only basing my comment on this weekend's competition and we all know that our Canadian skaters haven't had much of a chance to compete in the last couple years. So, I remain hopeful that they will get better. I would like the Canadian pairs chosen for the Olympics to be those who skate very well and not have a contest of who has made the least damaging mistakes.
Does Deanna have citizenship? I’d love to see her at an Olympics

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Does Deanna have citizenship? I’d love to see her at an Olympics
I have no idea. Sometimes citizenship is almost less of a hassle than getting a release from the former federation ... it would be interesting to know if Deanna had applied for it as soon as she started with Maxime. The application can be rushed but I doubt it would be in this case. That's probably why I believe she said she wanted to keep going until 2026.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

This being said, I remember them skating very well and being drawn into their performances. I am mostly basing my comment on this weekend's competition and we all know that our Canadian skaters haven't had much of a chance to compete in the last couple years. So, I remain hopeful that they will get better. I would like the Canadian pairs chosen for the Olympics to be those who skate very well and not have a contest of who has made the least damaging mistakes.
I hear what you're saying, @4everchan but if they're not going to fight, then what's the point?

It wasn't just the problems with elements - we can expect that early in the season from most skaters. It's the lackluster feel of the whole exercise, as if they've already conceded.

And if they have... then fine. Move on to other things. I don't imagine they've got "headliner" appeal as professionals, so whatever limited opportunities will be available in the future are probably available now.

(Side note: I agree with you about Matte and Ferland having the upper hand in a potential head-to-head.)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I hear what you're saying, @4everchan but if they're not going to fight, then what's the point?

It wasn't just the problems with elements - we can expect that early in the season from most skaters. It's the lackluster feel of the whole exercise, as if they've already conceded.

And if they have... then fine. Move on to other things. I don't imagine they've got "headliner" appeal as professionals, so whatever limited opportunities will be available in the future are probably available now.

(Side note: I agree with you about Matte and Ferland having the upper hand in a potential head-to-head.)
if Lori-Ann gets more consistent on jumps... but at least, they always have great energy and programs.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Walsh and Michaud have traditionally bombed the start of their season. They did the same thing previously at SA a couple of years back, then rebounded at SC looking like a totally different Team. I still think they can rebound and I never underestimate them, esp. in front of a Canadian crowd. They seem to relish hometown skates.

Balloon

On the Ice
I’m actually not surprised with W/M, saying they peak at nationals maybe true but seeing some consistent solid skating would be nice. Not having even the short program ready for competition at an international event don’t seem right in Senior, I think they need to skate challenge but they only seem to put them out at Nationals or International events. I’m sure Evelyn not gonna look forward skating with Vanessa or even the younger pair girls.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Walsh and Michaud have traditionally bombed the start of their season. They did the same thing previously at SA a couple of years back, then rebounded at SC looking like a totally different Team. I still think they can rebound and I never underestimate them, esp. in front of a Canadian crowd. They seem to relish hometown skates.
fair enough... but that's not how you get international recognition enough to make a statement at games in china

rain

Record Breaker

I don't get it.
I thought he was very lowballed at Skate America. You would think by his placements that he had a disaster, which neither program was. He wasn't squeaky clean, but it was absolutely a respectable skate. I thought his speed looked much improved, as well as his spins (he's still not Jason Brown, but few of the men are). I was also baffled.

I think Walsh and Michaud seriously hurt their chances of being chosen for the Olympic team. Skate Canada really seems to be backing Vanessa and Eric, who are improving by leaps and bounds as time goes on, so W/M were the underdogs. But they really underperformed at Skate America.
anyways : for those who haven't see it : go watch FBS's free dance. It has improved a lot. I actually was really into it this time, which hasn't been the case before.
I LOVED FB/S's FD here. I've been kind of on the fence about it (I don't generally like voiceovers, and whoever called this one yoga retreat ASMR was not wrong). But it really came together for them here and was otherworldly and beautiful. I think they have staked their claim to the silver medal at Canadians. I get the feeling that Lajoie/Lagha are stagnant this season in terms of results and placements. I hope to be wrong, because I love them, but their outings thus far have been disappointing in the results.

I also thought Soucisse/Firus were lowballed here in the FD, which I thought was light and charming and fits them like a glove. Perhaps they just need to keep performing well to gain back some momentum?

ashleyming

On the Ice
Skate Canada International 2021 is coming back, a year without SCI on the Grand Prix Circuit makes me feel like a decade. 🙏 Hoping the best for all the Canadian Sweethearts at the 2021 SCI. ❤
P.s: Seems like Patrick is having fun with his coaching career. Good to see him on the rink again for skating skills coaching, 😊 the hockey kids look happy with coach Chiddy too.
P.s: 🙏 Please shave your moustache, Patrick!!! I'm begging you! 😭