2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There are rumors he lost a tooth or part of a tooth.
better that than a concussion or a broken bone... that sucks obviously but it will not compromise his next event. Keegan has done well so far this year in the SP but has had major issues in the LP. He probably needs another shot at competing.

mrrice

Record Breaker
As obsessed with Canadian Women as I am, I don't know anything about Madeline Schizas. Is she considered Canada's Top Lady?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As obsessed with Canadian Women as I am, I don't know anything about Madeline Schizas. Is she considered Canada's Top Lady?
Based on the national titles, no. But based on the international results, yes. She gives me a vibe of a fighter, though it's hard to say about the future, tbh.
She won virtual Challenge last year, which was the de facto nationals, and hasn't finished behind another Canadian woman at any event (domestic or international) since 2020 nationals, which by now is close to two years ago. I'd say she's clearly the top woman now.

ashleyming

On the Ice
She won virtual Challenge last year, which was the de facto nationals, and hasn't finished behind another Canadian woman at any event (domestic or international) since 2020 nationals, which by now is close to two years ago. I'd say she's clearly the top woman now.
We are living in an era that the Canadian national champions in men and ladies disciplines would finish in a very low position internationally, and I know it's hard to accept, especially for a land of skating sports like Canada. But somehow it's just how it is, everything needs time to heal and grow up.

ashleyming

On the Ice
I more than sure that there is good future for Madeline provided she has a good coaching team. A good coach/caching team means not less than skater's talent.
She has so many rooms to improve, just hope she could (and still has time to) catch up with the current revolution of ladies' figure skating.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is going on with M-TM / Marinaro? There were 2 aborted lifts in their FS.

Skatingcat

Final Flight
Has there been any word on Keegan? That was a nasty fall and I'm afraid he gave himself a wicked concussion. :(

mrrice

Record Breaker
nothing is going on. they had a bad day at the office and they are moving on.
^^^^ Exactly. In case anyone missed it, the Free Programs did not go well for anyone. I guess Nathan was the best but, even he was not great and nowhere his best.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^^ Exactly. In case anyone missed it, the Free Programs did not go well for anyone. I guess Nathan was the best but, even he was not great and nowhere his best.
Ashley and Tim did great---a clean, beautiful FS---and won a medal. And Caroline and Michael did a compelling FD and moved up to 4th.

As for Nathan: he scored over 200 for his FS. Not a bad day at the rink for him, and with 26 points, he punched his ticket to the GPF.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Anyways... not to rub salt on an open wound because I was as disappointed as many of you but I don't think Roman made a good case for his olympic selection ... I think Conrad has shown progress though he still have a lot to do to increase his PCS... I believe he ranked last in the FP for PCS while getting 4th highest TES. Considering the first two events, I would almost think that Nam (who was lowballed at SKAM) has improved his chances the most... Keegan is still the front runner but he will need to improve his stamina. Patrick was saying on the CBC broadcast that Keegan needed to pace himself better in the FP... he goes all-in too quickly and runs out of steam. I guess that would explain the nice short programs in his last two events followed by the disastrous FP. I am looking forward to see GoGo and Jo at Ontario sectionals. I do love Joseph and I wouldn't be upset if he made a strong case for himself either. He is the skater right now who reminds me the most of Chiddy.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't think any of the guys vying for the second spot are likely to have a body-of-work argument based on the fall season. It'll come down to how they place at nationals.

ashleyming

On the Ice
Anyways... not to rub salt on an open wound because I was as disappointed as many of you but I don't think Roman made a good case for his olympic selection ... I think Conrad has shown progress though he still have a lot to do to increase his PCS... I believe he ranked last in the FP for PCS while getting 4th highest TES. Considering the first two events, I would almost think that Nam (who was lowballed at SKAM) has improved his chances the most... Keegan is still the front runner but he will need to improve his stamina. Patrick was saying on the CBC broadcast that Keegan needed to pace himself better in the FP... he goes all-in too quickly and runs out of steam. I guess that would explain the nice short programs in his last two events followed by the disastrous FP. I am looking forward to see GoGo and Jo at Ontario sectionals. I do love Joseph and I wouldn't be upset if he made a strong case for himself either. He is the skater right now who reminds me the most of Chiddy.
Looking back at what happened at Skate Canada International 2021 reminds me of Patrick's sad memory of 4 years ago. On a bad day, he lost himself at home at Skate Canada 2017, which was the first time in seven years that Patrick fell off the podium at the Grand Prix Skate Canada and finished fourth overall. At the time, a lot of people criticized Patrick despite the fact that he had won all the major ISU titles. Looking back now, I feel it was not fair. :cry: At Skate Canada 2021, all three Canadian male skaters had a very bad day and even ranked lower than Patrick of 4 years ago, but no one criticized them as hard as they did with Patrick. I've even seen somewhere, a Roman fan ready to jump in and mocking any mistake in any of Patrick's performances in the past. But when questioned back about Roman's poor performances while he himself arrived at Skate Canada 2021 as the defending national champion, they asked for sympathy just because "he is young, he is the complete package but just needs time".

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't think any of the guys vying for the second spot are likely to have a body-of-work argument based on the fall season. It'll come down to how they place at nationals.
of course not... it's not a great outing at sectionals that will give someone the edge... nam keegan and roman do have second Gps though. They could turn the momentum around. And yes, I agree that Nationals will probably be the decider... but if Keegan ended up 3rd or worse, it may get tricky.

Reactions: waj

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Looking back at what happened at Skate Canada International 2021 reminds me of Patrick's sad memory of 4 years ago. On a bad day, he lost himself at home at Skate Canada 2017, which was the first time in seven years that Patrick fell off the podium at the Grand Prix Skate Canada and finished fourth overall. At the time, a lot of people criticized Patrick despite the fact that he had won all the major ISU titles. Looking back now, I feel it was not fair. :cry: At Skate Canada 2021, all three Canadian male skaters had a very bad day and even ranked lower than Patrick of 4 years ago, but no one criticized them as hard as they did with Patrick. I've even seen somewhere, a Roman fan ready to jump in and mocking any mistake in any of Patrick's performances in the past. But when questioned back about Roman's poor performances while he himself arrived at Skate Canada 2021 as the defending national champion, they asked for sympathy just because "he is young, he is the complete package but just needs time".
Patrick was always harshly judged by many people on these forums. I don't miss having to confront the lynching mob like I had to upon his return to the competition. I do not wish any of this to our current crop of skaters... but at the same time, if people are sympathetic to them, it may be because they are not seen as threats yet...

Last edited: