2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 U.S. Men's Figure Skating

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
So with a silver and a bronze is Jason Brown qualified for the GPF?
No, at least not yet. Semenenko needs to be first or second and score over 267.74 to overtake Jason. His PB is 258.45, so he needs clean skates at Rostelecom. Anything less and Jason is qualified, so it will be very interesting (and stressful) to see.

mrrice

Record Breaker
How was Jason's LP today? It's nice to see him Medal again. I imagine he was behind the top 2 technically but, I'm wondering about the performance.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The nine Senior Men who have qualified to Nats via Championship Series, if I am not mistaken:

Eric Sjoberg, Liam Kapeikis, Mitchell Friess, Ryan Dunk, Artur Dmitriev, Sebastien Payannet, Paul Yeung, Dinh Tran, William Hubbart​

Top two Pacific section
- 227.12 SJOBERG (Henderson)
- 215.51 KAPEIKIS (Spokane); also competed in Henderson​

Top one Midwestern section
- 205.73 FRIESS (Spokane); also competed in Henderson
(No one else from Midwestern met both tech minimums)​

Top two Eastern section (excluding Ilia Malinin, who qualified for JGPF and has a bye to Nats)
- 197.66 DUNK (Norwood); also competed in (Leesburg)
- 189.24 DMITRIEV (Leesburg); withdrew from Alpharetta -- he is "Individual Member" who is listed as Eastern section​

Next four in nation
- 193.12 PAYANNET (Henderson); also competed in Spokane
- 192.10 YEUNG (Spokane), also competed in Fort Wayne
- 189.07 TRAN (Spokane); withdrew from Henderson
- 184.60 HUBBART (Allen); also competed in Alpharetta
(I hope Hubbart is in :pray:, given that Friess is the only Midwestern man who achieved both tech minimums)​

(Sad to say that ten men who competed in Championship Series missed at least one tech minimum 😭, including Jordan Moeller, Emmanuel Savary, Eric Prober.)

cc: @moonvine

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The nine Senior Men who have qualified to Nats via Championship Series, if I am not mistaken:

Eric Sjoberg, Liam Kapeikis, Mitchell Friess, Ryan Dunk, Artur Dmitriev, Sebastien Payannet, Paul Yeung, Dinh Tran, William Hubbart​

Top two Pacific section
- 227.12 SJOBERG (Henderson)
- 215.51 KAPEIKIS (Spokane); also competed in Henderson​

Top one Midwestern section
- 205.73 FRIESS (Spokane); also competed in Henderson
(No one else from Midwestern met both tech minimums)​

Top two Eastern section (excluding Ilia Malinin, who qualified for JGPF and has a bye to Nats)
- 197.66 DUNK (Norwood); also competed in (Leesburg)
- 189.24 DMITRIEV (Leesburg); withdrew from Alpharetta -- he is "Individual Member" who is listed as Eastern section​

Next four in nation
- 193.12 PAYANNET (Henderson); also competed in Spokane
- 192.10 YEUNG (Spokane), also competed in Fort Wayne
- 189.07 TRAN (Spokane); withdrew from Henderson
- 184.60 HUBBART (Allen); also competed in Alpharetta
(I hope Hubbart is in :pray:, given that Friess is the only Midwestern man who achieved both tech minimums)​

(Sad to say that ten men who competed in Championship Series missed at least one tech minimum 😭, including Jordan Moeller, Emmanuel Savary, Eric Prober.)

cc: @moonvine
Yes! Mitchell Friess! My fractal and turtle loving man! So sorry for the ones who missed tech minimums🥲

How do the “individual members” work, @ice coverage?

A big “thank you” to @ice coverage for figuring this stuff out.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... So sorry for the ones who missed tech minimums🥲 ...

The only "good" thing (which I should have made clear in my previous post) is that tech minimums did not make a difference in which men will advance to Nats.
For those lacking at least one minimum, their highest total score was not good enough for them to make the group of nine anyway.

I just am sad :cry: for some of those who will not advance, although I am glad :) for those who did.
(For Kapeikis and Dmitriev, it will be their first time as Senior Men at U.S. Nationals. Also Yeung, AFAIK.)

... How do the “individual members” work, @ice coverage? ...

Sorry, I don't have an answer about how "individual members" work. :unsure:
Because they don't belong to a club, their section cannot be determined by the location of their home club.
Per the ongoing Series standings (not yet updated after Alpharetta and Spokane) from the USFS members-only site, Dmitriev is identified as Eastern section -- but I do not know why.

It so happens that in terms of advancement to 2022 Nats, Dmitriev's section did not make a difference.
Excluding Malinin, only ten men in the whole Series achieved both tech minimums. Max Lake, who will not advance, had the lowest score of the ten anyway (by fifteen points).

Last edited:

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Hanyu has withdrawn from both his GP events, so he definitely won't be competing in the final.

Jason will have to wait and see what happens at Rostelecom, but with men's skating in general being unpredictable, he could stand a good chance of making it.
I am really sorry. That was dumb of me. I meant to say he isn't going.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Tough draw for Camden coming up in Russia. I think this outing will be very telling in where he is with his skating. I'm hoping that he's able to skate well even if he doesn't medal. I think he needs it for his self esteem.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is a little off topic but, I just saw Nathan's LP from Canada and I am blown away by that program. If he skates 2 clean programs, he will be the Olympic Champion. I can't see any skater beating that Long Program. One the greatest of all time. :points: