2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

ashleyming

On the Ice
i am not sure what you are referring to when you are talking about the new judging system... did i miss a memo?
Recently, I have just taken a look at the ISU textbook. The new rules did say that the base value for the same type of jumping element in a program must be lower if that element is performed twice, even if the first one is in separation and the second one is in combo (For example with 4T and 4T-3T in combo, the second one must be scored lower in overall). So things have changed so much, comparing to the old system when Patrick broke the 200 points in 2016 with 4T and 4T-3T.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Recently, I have just taken a look at the ISU textbook. The new rules did say that the base value for the same type of jumping element in a program must be lower if that element is performed twice, even the first one is in separation and the second one is in combo (For example with 4T and 4T-3T in combo, the second one must be scored lower in overall).
I don't think that's how it works. The BV for an element doesn't change when it's repeated, unless one is not in combo, then you get +Combo which reduces the BV.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Recently, I have just taken a look at the ISU textbook. The new rules did say that the base value for the same type of jumping element in a program must be lower if that element is performed twice, even if the first one is in separation and the second one is in combo (For example with 4T and 4T-3T in combo, the second one must be scored lower in overall). So things have changed so much, comparing to the old system when Patrick broke the 200 points in 2016 with 4T and 4T-3T.
i think @SnowWhite is correct here... the BV will only be lowered if the skater was supposed to do a combo and didn't do it.

ashleyming

On the Ice
I don't think that's how it works. The BV for an element doesn't change when it's repeated, unless one is not in combo, then you get +Combo which reduces the BV.
If my memory serves me right anyway. Repeating in combo is still be scored higher than receiving a REP call, the GOE will be considered, but just 1 type of quad jump still cannot be scored higher than a variety of 4 collection. That's the different between the new and old rules.

ashleyming

On the Ice
i think @SnowWhite is correct here... the BV will only be lowered if the skater was supposed to do a combo and didn't do it.
Seems like the judges prefer the technical content with one type of quad in independent jumping system and the other type of quad in combo to the content of one type in both.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If my memory serves me right anyway. Repeating in combo is still be scored higher than receiving a REP call, the GOE will be considered, but just 1 type of quad jump still cannot be scored higher than a variety of 4 collection. That's the different between the new and old rules.
if a skater does one quad in solo jump there is no REP call and the base value doesn't go down... It only happens when a skater did a Solo quad, then attempted the same jump again but didn't succeed to do a combo... then there is a REP call... this is nothing new. You should check out some protocols.. you will see it easily.

ashleyming

On the Ice
if a skater does one quad in solo jump there is no REP call and the base value doesn't go down... It only happens when a skater did a Solo quad, then attempted the same jump again but didn't succeed to do a combo... then there is a REP call... this is nothing new.
Yeah, what I mean here is not about the REP call case. It's about when everything is flawless with one solo quad and one combo in the same type of jump. Everything is still valid, but could not be scored as high as it used to be a few years ago, partly because of the judging panel. (For example: 4T and 4T-1Eu-3F would be scored not higher than 4Lz (or 4F) and 4T-1Eu-3F).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yeah, what I mean here is not about the REP call case. It about when everything is flawless with one solo quad and one combo in the same type of jump. Everything is still valid, but could not be scored as high as it used to be a few years ago, partly because of the judging panel. (For example: 4T and 4T-1Eu-3F would be scored not higher than 4Lz (or 4F) and 4T-1Eu-3F).
well 4lutz has a higher base value... i think you have misunderstood things.... the judging panel does not change the base value... Patrick's quad toes would have received just as high GOE as before ... and scored just as high as before.

ashleyming

On the Ice
well 4lutz has a higher base value... i think you have misunderstood things.... the judging panel does not change the base value... Patrick's quad toes would have received just as high GOE as before ... and scored just as high as before.
Maybe I should take a look again later. But yeah, it's now all about the jumps for the guys, no exception unless their trademarks are skating skills like Patrick. Simply that strategy just cannot be repeated, so better be consitent with the quads, I guess.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Maybe I should take a look again later. But yeah, it's now all about the jumps for the guys, no exception unless their trademarks are skating skills like Patrick. Simply that strategy just cannot be repeat, so better be consitent with the quads, I guess.
well i don't know... i see Patrick as the special skater who had the skating skills and then added consistent quads, which made him almost untouchable. After Sochi, exotic quads started to show up.... Boyang, Shoma and Nathan etc... even Patrick brought in a quad salchow. RIght now, many men are just not landing things properly. I am sure that if Patrick came back and skated the way he did at 4CC he would score as well as before... would it be enough? It would not be good enough to beat a clean Nathan or Shoma... but that's sport... it's the same with the women : if Kaetlyn or Zhenya came back, without 3a and quads, they would not beat the young Russian women. I don't have a problem with that as long as PCS are not given like candies for skaters who ONLY have the quads. But Nathan and Shoma are fine skaters and they are beautiful on the ice. Very different in style from one another and from Patrick.. but still great overall skaters. But that's not the judging system here... it's just the evolution of the sport. Patrick knew what he was doing when he retired :) he had maxed out on what his body was able to accomplish and had received all possible accolades. 3 Olympic medals, 5 world medals. 10 Canadian titles. That's enough. Sometimes, I miss him... because our men are not landing the content Patrick was landing even in 2014, let alone in 2017 when he added a third quad. But the problem doesn't reside in a change of the judging system but simply in the fact that this year, our men are just not there.
Keegan has a baby. Nam has had lots of issues. Roman is inconsistent. Jo is recovering from injury. Conrad still needs to get better skating skills and more consistency. Gogolev grew 10 inches and lost his quads... I have written off these olympics for figure skating for Canada. I will be focusing on speed skating ;) and honestly, the games in Korea made me so happy as a Canadian fan, that I am okay with it ;)

ashleyming

On the Ice
well i don't know... i see Patrick as the special skater who had the skating skills and then added consistent quads, which made him almost untouchable. After Sochi, exotic quads started to show up.... Boyang, Shoma and Nathan etc... even Patrick brought in a quad salchow. RIght now, many men are just not landing things properly. I am sure that if Patrick came back and skated the way he did at 4CC he would score as well as before... would it be enough? It would not be good enough to beat a clean Nathan or Shoma... but that's sport... it's the same with the women : if Kaetlyn or Zhenya came back, without 3a and quads, they would not beat the young Russian women. I don't have a problem with that as long as PCS are not given like candies for skaters who ONLY have the quads. But Nathan and Shoma are fine skaters and they are beautiful on the ice. Very different in style from one another and from Patrick.. but still great overall skaters. But that's not the judging system here... it's just the evolution of the sport. Patrick knew what he was doing when he retired :) he had maxed out on what his body was able to accomplish and had received all possible accolades. 3 Olympic medals, 5 world medals. 10 Canadian titles. That's enough. Sometimes, I miss him... because our men are not landing the content Patrick was landing even in 2014, let alone in 2017 when he added a third quad. But the problem doesn't reside in a change of the judging system but simply in the fact that this year, our men are just not there.
Keegan has a baby. Nam has had lots of issues. Roman is inconsistent. Jo is recovering from injury. Conrad still needs to get better skating skills and more consistency. Gogolev grew 10 inches and lost his quads... I have written off these olympics for figure skating for Canada. I will be focusing on speed skating ;) and honestly, the games in Korea made me so happy as a Canadian fan, that I am okay with it ;)
Still beautiful but maybe not enough to win at 4CC and Worlds Arena, but he is already a legend. Well Patrick is in a class of his own definitely, and time has proved that it's not because of him (and Skate Can) that other men of Canada could not win anything, it's because of the quality of skating that they have shown the world.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am not ready to give up on Canadian men... there is a long long line of world champions from Orser to Patrick. Nam is a world junior champion...but then grew.. I am still hoping that Conrad, Joseph and Roman and maybe Gogo will be good in the next 4 years... this year though, it's bad timing... It happens... at least, we cannot be disappointed... like when Kurt didn't win even a medal at the games or Elvis came 2nd... or when Patrick, after two brilliant quads, didn't manage to keep it together enough to win at Sochi... this time, we have no expectation... that's nice for a change

ashleyming

On the Ice
Let see what Skate Can. can do for the next gen, just chilling and waiting now, would be better than labelling something and then accidentally cursed them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Let see what Skate Can. can do for the next gen, just chilling and waiting now, would be better than labelling something and then accidentally cursed them.
i don't believe anyone of us have the power of cursing or jinxing a skater :) they do that to themselves enough ;)

ashleyming

On the Ice
i don't believe anyone of us have the power of cursing or jinxing a skater :) they do that to themselves enough ;)
Lol, just kidding but I admit that I'm now afraid of hyping up the guys before they win in real life, probably because of the unhappy ending whenever I feel interested in watching someone skates and following his career.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Lol, just kidding but I admit that I'm now afraid of hyping up the guys before they win in real life, probably because of the unhappy ending whenever I feel interested in watching someone skates and following his career.
hehe ;) well... i understand what you mean... but i am still going to adore Jo :) no matter how well he ends up succeeding in his career ;)

ashleyming

On the Ice
hehe ;) well... i understand what you mean... but i am still going to adore Jo :) no matter how well he ends up succeeding in his career ;)
Of course, adoring someone would never be a problem, as long as they make people happy with their beautiful skating. 😊😗 Competitive highlights and joy make this sport, so even in the low-key time, there would still be an element of grace.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
if a skater does one quad in solo jump there is no REP call and the base value doesn't go down... It only happens when a skater did a Solo quad, then attempted the same jump again but didn't succeed to do a combo... then there is a REP call... this is nothing new. You should check out some protocols.. you will see it easily.
That is correct.