2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
After this men’s event, I don’t see how Joseph Phan or Nam Nguyen can get an Olympic Spot unless they win Canadian Nationals. At the moment, Keegan and Roman have these two spots, unless one of them falls apart at Nationals. Wesley Chiu is the third best, followed by Conrad with Stephen rounding out the top five.

I’m looking for forward to watching the Senior Women today.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
After this men’s event, I don’t see how Joseph Phan or Nam Nguyen can get an Olympic Spot unless they win Canadian Nationals. At the moment, Keegan and Roman have these two spots, unless one of them falls apart at Nationals. Wesley Chiu is the third best, followed by Conrad with Stephen rounding out the top five.

i never really thought Jo was in the hunt (though I adore him and would wish for a miracle :) ) . He has not competed all year until now... and his tech content is so watered down and unstable that it seems to me he is coming back from injury... i may be wrong but yeah...

I also don't think challenge counts...

I would agree that Keegan would have to do really badly at Nationals not to be selected, but i believe it's wide open for the second spot.... if Nam came back strongly, I don't see why it would be held against him that he struggled in the fall after overcoming difficult times..

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

The federation prioritizes national results unless there's a strong reason not to. In this case, whoever is the highest non-Keegan finisher at nationals will go, in all likelihood.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The federation prioritizes national results unless there's a strong reason not to. In this case, whoever is the highest non-Keegan finisher at nationals will go, in all likelihood.
I haven't seen the Free Programs for the Men. Did Nam have a better outing than he did in the SP?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh No, I guess he's really done with skating. I can't imagine he'll make the Olympic team. I can't see him beating Keegan or Roman. Do you think he has a chance?
at this point, everyone has a chance.... I'd say that Keegan would need to do really badly at Nationals not to go.. but for the others, I agree with some others : the best non-Keegan skater at Nationals will be at the games...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yeah.. that's what many people thought... injury, so no challengers, no Skate Canada Challenge... only focusing on getting ready in time for Nationals... sounds like she did something to an ankle ???

mrrice

Record Breaker
i never really thought Jo was in the hunt (though I adore him and would wish for a miracle :) ) . He has not competed all year until now... and his tech content is so watered down and unstable that it seems to me he is coming back from injury... i may be wrong but yeah...

I also don't think challenge counts...

I would agree that Keegan would have to do really badly at Nationals not to be selected, but i believe it's wide open for the second spot.... if Nam came back strongly, I don't see why it would be held against him that he struggled in the fall after overcoming difficult times..
I am sad to read this as I really thought Jo was going to become the National Champion. I'm happy to see Nam place fourth in the LP but, he was quite far from Stephen in his total score.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am sad to read this as I really thought Jo was going to become the National Champion. I'm happy to see Nam place fourth in the LP but, he was quite far from Stephen in his total score.
Jo hasn't competed in nearly a full year = injuries.... My never thought is since last year... not from before. Jo has all the goods, when healthy to be a top 10 in the world, let alone a Canadian champion. I am behind him : he is by far my favourite Canadian skater after Chiddy and Jeff...

ashleyming

On the Ice
Jo hasn't competed in nearly a full year = injuries.... My never thought is since last year... not from before. Jo has all the goods, when healthy to be a top 10 in the world, let alone a Canadian champion. I am behind him : he is by far my favourite Canadian skater after Chiddy and Jeff...
Now even top 10 in the Worlds is hard to say for him. We are living in a world where the technical contents of male skaters are rising up everyday in terms of number of quad jumps, and the judging system also appreciates that trend. Our Canadian men seem to be left behind because of that. (Not to mention Patrick despite the fact that Patrick is the only one in the world who breaks the 200+ point by just only 2 quads in 1 type of quads, because he competed under the old system, and of course, he is good enough to persuade the judges when being needed. 😶)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Now even top 10 in the Worlds is hard to say for him. We are living in a world where the technical contents of male skaters are rising up everyday in terms of number of quad jumps, and the judging system also appreciates that trend. Our Canadian men seem to be left behind because of that. (Not to mention Patrick despite the fact that Patrick is the only one in the world who breaks the 200+ point by just only 2 quads in 1 type of quads, because he competed under the old system, and of course, he is good enough to persuade the judges when being needed. 😶)
Jo has a quad salchow, a great quad toe, even a quad loop (in training only) ... ii am not worried about his technical content.. I am worried about his recurring injuries. He hasn't even competed for real on the senior scene yet. Fine, maybe I need to quiet down but yeah... Jo for the win !

ashleyming

On the Ice
also, nam got to top 5... so did kevin and keegan, top 6. So why not Jo?
But the thing is all of them got into the top under the old judging system, the new system, which are being applied for this season, is not about appreciating skating skills other than the jumps. I'm not happy about that but it just how it is now.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But the thing is all of them got into the top under the old judging system, the new system, which are being applied for this season, is not about appreciating skating skills other than the jumps. I'm not happy about that but it just how it is now.
not so sure the system is that different... the thing is that our guys need to land their jumps.. when they do, they are rewarded. right now, even Keegan is not doing well... some skaters do not even have quads and get high scores but they have been consistent skate after skate

ashleyming

On the Ice
not so sure the system is that different... the thing is that our guys need to land their jumps.. when they do, they are rewarded. right now, even Keegan is not doing well... some skaters do not even have quads and get high scores but they have been consistent skate after skate
With an exception for Jason only. Anyway, our guys are missing the vibes of fighting for the Olympic spots, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore. From now on, big stars or not, everything is about the Nats.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
With an exception for Jason only. Anyway, our guys are missing the vibes of fighting for the Olympic spots, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore. From now on, big stars or not, everything is about the Nats.
D V is also making his mark... we will see :) and yes to Nationals. All I hope for is for the guys to just skate to their potential.. Challenge was indeed a challenge to watch...

ashleyming

On the Ice
D V is also making his mark... we will see :) and yes to Nationals. All I hope for is for the guys to just skate to their potential.. Challenge was indeed a challenge to watch...
The only exception for no quads but still make it to the podium,well... only Jason I guess. Anyway, the new judging system reduces the base value for the same quad type in case one is performed in separation, the other is done in combo, so our men definitely need proper strategies along with consistency.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The only exception for no quads but still make it to the podium,well... only Jason I guess. Anyway, the new judging system reduces the base value for the same quad type in case one is performed in separation, the other is done in combo, so our men definitely need proper strategies along with consistency.
i am not sure what you are referring to when you are talking about the new judging system... did i miss a memo?