How to watch Japanese Nationals? | Golden Skate

How to watch Japanese Nationals?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Great Job, cohkaix! Last year I bought two weeks of Japanese TV for very little Money. $15 or so. I used an app on a laptop and connected the laptop HDMI port to my Television and it was wonderful! 100 channels live and on demand for two weeks. iSakura Pro. The only glitch was it wanted you to have a certain plug in and I think that plug in went away.....Now iSakura is going away and changing to something else.

If anyone has any knowledge of how to watch Japanese TV over the internet, I would appreciate you sharing.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
iSakura, like many other streaming platforms, used to be Flash-based, a format that was discontinued this year due to numerous security vulnerabilities. It's largely been replaced by HTML streaming. iSakura seamlessly switched from Flash to HTML streaming in the middle of last year's JNats and I guess many users didn't notice - until they tried to download archived videos, which suddenly didn't work the way it used to anymore.

However, this is not the reason why iSakura is now being phased out. Shortly before the Tokyo Olympics, they allegedly got into legal trouble and as a result had to pull all NHK-related channels from their portfolio. Since then, their services are no longer offered anywhere and there is no way to set up new accounts with them. You can only continue to use iSakura if you are an existing customer.

There are alternatives like the one you linked above (though that one doesn't work nearly as smoothly for me as iSakura did), but these providers might also encounter similar problems sooner or later. :confused:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
iSakura, like many other streaming platforms, used to be Flash-based, a format that was discontinued this year due to numerous security vulnerabilities. It's largely been replaced by HTML streaming. iSakura seamlessly switched from Flash to HTML streaming in the middle of last year's JNats and I guess many users didn't notice - until they tried to download archived videos, which suddenly didn't work the way it used to anymore.

However, this is not the reason why iSakura is now being phased out. Shortly before the Tokyo Olympics, they allegedly got into legal trouble and as a result had to pull all NHK-related channels from their portfolio. Since then, their services are no longer offered anywhere and there is no way to set up new accounts with them. You can only continue to use iSakura if you are an existing customer.

There are alternatives like the one you linked above (though that one doesn't work nearly as smoothly for me as iSakura did), but these providers might also encounter similar problems sooner or later. :confused:
Thanks! I will try it and if I am out a few bucks, oh well. If anyone finds a reliable provider, let us know. It is sad that in the 21st century,we cant find a reliable simple way to pay to watch TV. :(

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I consulted my Japanese conversation group, but they don't watch much Japanese TV. :drama: I'll try out Muji TV sometime soon and see if it has the appropriate channels for watching JNats.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I consulted my Japanese conversation group, but they don't watch much Japanese TV. :drama: I'll try out Muji TV sometime soon and see if it has the appropriate channels for watching JNats.
Thanks for you work here. The iSakura interface was pretty easy to use once you had the guide as to what event and what flight was on what channel at what time. Fuji TV had commercials unlike some of the other channels last year but they were very entertaining and even emotional.
IIRC, two weeks of Japanese TV was $15 which was very reasonable.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fuji on demand is the way to go.

It’s the official streaming service.

All you need is 999 yen and a vpn.
Worked like a charm for me last year.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fuji on demand is the way to go.

It’s the official streaming service.

All you need is 999 yen and a vpn.
Worked like a charm for me last year.
I'd love to hear what type of VPN you're using (as I know Opera's VPN won't be sufficient to connect to Japan). I've always been a little scared to pay for a VPN due to being uncertain about the file size and connection quality on my ancient Android phone, as well as wanting to avoid paying too much for it, lol.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd love to hear what type of VPN you're using (as I know Opera's VPN won't be sufficient to connect to Japan). I've always been a little scared to pay for a VPN due to being uncertain about the file size and connection quality on my ancient Android phone, as well as wanting to avoid paying too much for it, lol.
Since I am obviously a moral individual that doesn’t try to bypass or circumvent territorial restrictions, hypothetically if I had to chose a VPN, I would use NordVPN. I hear it’s good. Haha

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I'd recommend ProtonVPN. It's free, very safe, and has servers in the Netherlands, Japan, and the USA

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Here is a question for you. Your schedule says that on the 23rd CS Fuji Tv will carry Ice Dance Rhythm dance 14:50 to 16:00, first groups of women's short 16:20 to 19:00. BS Fuji will carry Woman's short from 18:30 to 19:00.

However, your schedule says BS Fuji will carry first groups of women's free at the same time as CS Fuji will.
This is important as I dont see a CS Fuji option with Muji TV. If Muji TV is all I could get, then basically I would not see the pairs or dance.
mujitv.jpg

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The Muji TV interface is just like the old iSakura. Click the channel, click the day, click the time, click the preview screen. You must sign up for a 3 day 3 dollar trial and then give them $20 for a month. They accept paypal which is convienient.
Muji tv 2.jpg

Attachments

• 1639022051849.png
    1639022051849.png
    302.3 KB · Views: 81

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

This tweet gives a worldwide time schedule for JNats!

Thank you. I have two options that are legal for watching...maybe a third. I am going to at least try Muji this weekend. Right now I have so many irons in the fire it looks like a Round up here. Best wishes for all the Japanese skaters. Be safe!
ZZZ team honda.jpg

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Since I am obviously a moral individual that doesn’t try to bypass or circumvent territorial restrictions, hypothetically if I had to chose a VPN, I would use NordVPN. I hear it’s good. Haha
LOL! Thankfully, when I was on the ploygraph during my Washington State Patrol Backround check, they didn't ask me. "Did you ever think about getting a VPN with the sole purpose of watching the Japanese Figure skating Nationals?" ;)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Muji TV. My take. I ordered a 3 day trial. $3 You must do this before you can hit the "recharge" button on the main screen. And pay $20 for a month.
Step one to order. Click on the "order 3 day trial of Muji prime."
You put in a name and a good email. You pay through pay pal. Once you pay, you will be taken to some obsure cloud register screen. Exit out and go to your email address you gave them. I did this on my desk top. Then, I went to my wife's laptop in front of my big screen TV and put in Mujitv.com and selected "register" . I put in the secret code sent to my email I gave them and then made up a password and log in name. Voila! You get the main screen. I used Windows 10 to create a shortcut to the desk top screen. Menu>more tools> create short cut.
The first thing you notice is that the interface has been changed from the main Muji website...the first link above...dont swear like I did when you see the difference. Mearly click on a GROUP of channels and you get everything promised. Go to a channel, go to a day and time, then click the maximize symbol on the preview screen located in the lower right of the preview screen. Want to return to the main menu? Use the escape key. Easy. The only bad thing about Muji is that you dont get CS Fuji. Connect your HDMI cable to the computer and then to your telly.
interface 1.jpg

Click on the first group,(see pic 2) pick a channel, pic a day over on the right, pick a time. See the little hand(cursor) in the lower right of the preview screen, upper pic? That is the full screen button symbol position.
interface 2..jpg

This is my big screen. I think the quality is just fine....note barber pole.
quality.jpg

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
With my VPN set to Japan I was able to find this official stream which I hope will work for the RD and Women's SP!

Edit: I read it badly, this will not show the actual competition :palmf:

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
With my VPN set to Japan I was able to find this official stream which I hope will work for the RD and Women's SP!

It's the warmup area, not the rink. It just shows skaters doing off-ice exercises before they skate