2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 229 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

Arbitrary

Medalist
Alysa still can go to Tallinn?
The test by itself means little if a person isn't sick (no high temperature etc.)

natsulian

Final Flight
What an exciting event. I was thoroughly impressed by all the skaters who, despite the calamities that have befallen the world, skated with heartfelt emotion and passion.

Mariah Bell's beautifully emotive program to "River Flows in You" captivated me from the first note to the very end. The moment Bell took the ice, I knew she was going to hit the 3F3T combination; there was fire in her eyes. Apart from her stunning spins, Bell possesses a calm and transportive attribute to her skating, a quality that takes audiences on a journey. However, plagued by inconsistencies after two successful seasons, Bell's top echelon skating qualities rarely shone through due to the constant worry over her jumps. With Bell's new short program and return to "Hallelujah," it seems as though she has found her footing again—just in time for what is her biggest competition yet.

Karen Chen was absolutely enthralling. Words leave me when I watch Chen skate; from the way she holds her stunning spirals to the way she captures the audience in her Step Sequence, Chen is a world class athlete. Although Chen did not properly rotate the triple-Toe, it bodes well for her that she's hitting her jumps so consistently. I fell in love with Chen's skating after watching her "Golden Pond" performance and was pleasantly surprised when she announced her return to competition after withdrawals following the 2018 Olympic Games. Nevertheless, Chen is a talent the U.S. should be beaming with pride to have—poetry on ice, a captivating artist.

Alysa Liu performed well, but the effusive joy and indubitable charm that once characterized their skating has whimpered slightly. However, Liu has gone through so much in such a short amount of time that she deserves rest: mental and physical. Nevertheless, Liu made a case for herself as an Olympic contender and I wish them nothing but love and joy.

Apart from the top three women, Gracie Gold, Isabeau Levito, Lindsay Thorngren, and Kate Wang won the night. Gold's performance was not only powerfully emotional but technically bold. Gold is a once in a generation talent; if people didn't believe this when she was at the top of her game, then they surely must believe it now. Only a handful of people can come roaring back from the rock bottom Gold endured and put forth a performance that was not only clean but technically up to par with the current top women. Our top two junior women, Levito and Thorngren, showed signs of brilliance; with more sharpening, they will surely become great skaters in their own right. I look forward to watching their journeys and rooting for them. As for Wang, she has a surprisingly calm nature to her skating, especially on her exquisite jumps. Wang's combination jump was effortless and her spins showed great promise. Wang, too, is another skater to look forward to.

As we set our eyes on the Free Program, I cannot help but feel Bradie Tennell's absence. Wishing Bradie the fastest of recoveries and hoping to watch her skate again—sooner rather than later.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I am going to say what is said about Brandon

we should all worry about Alyssa being ok, before we worry about petitions.

She may be lucky, but Covid can be rough even on young healthy people. The sad thing is she may not be in shape to go to the Olympics.

If she is healthy, yes send her. But there needs to be some kind of readiness check. Both for USFS but for her health as well.

I don't want to see gasping Alyssa having a disappointing Olympics.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Alysa just said she plans on petitioning.

She may be lucky, but Covid can be rough even on young healthy people. The sad thing is she may not be in shape to go to the Olympics.

If she is healthy, yes send her. But there needs to be some kind of readiness check. Both for USFS but for her health as well.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic

They are vaccinated and was wearing a mask constantly, so the exposure shouldn't be too heavy and the vaccine should prevent serious infection. My fear is how this will spread. Colorado has a LOT of skaters here. There's no telling how far this will spread. I would test everyone right now.

loopy1217

Rinkside
Yes, she has the BOW and unless Lindsay has THE skate it's very unlikely anyone can knock Alysa off the team with Amber's placement and Gracie's lack of mins.

And I guess this explains the lack of sharp movements and just general off-ness last night. Even if you don't feel that sick, having COVID can certainly affect movement and energy while skating.
I was going to say about her health yesterday but I figure maybe the camera angle or something. She looks a bit more flush even when she said she feels great afterward.

So they are doing daily test for skaters and athletes? It seems odd she only found out right before the practice (now)

Also does anyone know if Drew is okay? As he is her coach and also in close distance for Karen yesterday…

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻For all the atheletes

macy

Record Breaker
so sad to hear that about Alysa, that is devastating. i have no doubt she will be picked for the team regardless, but not being able to compete due to something out of your control is a tough pill to swallow.

i am thinking since there have been so many positive cases it's likely omicron, which even though is more contagious has been less dangerous than other variants and closer to a cold than lung problems. hopefully that is the case for her and it's mild.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I was going to say about her health yesterday but I figure maybe the camera angle or something. She looks a bit more flush even when she said she feels great afterward.

So they are doing daily test for skaters and athletes? It seems odd she only found out right before the practice (now)

Also does anyone know if Drew is okay? As he is her coach and also in close distance for Karen yesterday…

🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻For all the atheletes
Drew is also Vincent's coach... and no, they were not doing daily tests initially.

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
Gracie changed coaches over 3 years ago.
That’s not particularly recent..
sorry i was unclear, by "it" i meant her current coaching situation. Gracie is the only one whose current coaching situation seems to be really working. well mariah with adam is steady I guess, but if she wasn't retiring I'd say adam has to take her somewhere else w/ him because Raf has lost interest in her. But I will give Adam and Mariah huge credit for recognizing the first set of programs were too much adam and not enough Mariah and recalibrating. It must have taken some humility on Adam's part to admit that

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
sorry i was unclear, by "it" i meant her current coaching situation. Gracie is the only one whose current coaching situation seems to be really working. well mariah with adam is steady I guess, but if she wasn't retiring I'd say adam has to take her somewhere else w/ him because Raf has lost interest in her. But I will give Adam and Mariah huge credit for recognizing the first set of programs were too much adam and not enough Mariah and recalibrating. It must have taken some humility on Adam's part to admit that
She is night and day between here and Cranberry

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so sad. And I'm worried for all the skaters (and not just the American skaters). I fear we are going to get dreaded announcements of positive tests in the coming weeks. It's sad all around.
As I said in another thread, if the Olympics go forward (and they are determined to have them go on) it won’t be the best athletes who medal. It will be the athletes who are best at somehow avoiding an invisible virus.

macy

Record Breaker
Of course Alysa will petition to go to the Olympics. She is the top US Women's skater. It may not mean that she will go, but it makes a lot of sense for Alysa to petition anyway.
Alysa will go to the olympics if she is healthy. even if Lindsay hits it out of the park tonight, there is no scenario they will not take Alysa. she's already earned her spot.

SorrySkater

On the Ice
My thoughts:
1. I agree with the person up thread who questioned why Gabby Izzo’s score was so close to Gracie’s, given the jump combo that each landed. This is a legit question; I’d love the thoughts of someone who can say if there were other elements that balanced out that difference.
2. Totally agree with the 1-2 placements. Not sure I would’ve had Liu in 3rd. Her skating, to me, was merely okay and did not draw me in like Mariah did. i would’ve had Gracie in 3rd.
3. Although Gracie cannot go to the Olympics, she can certainly win a medal here. Just saying. Especially since Alysa had to drop out. I much preferred her skating to that of Lindsay Thorngren, but that is my personal preference. That is to say, maybe being in the final group will give her the PCS scores she should’ve gotten in the short.
4. Alysa should absolutely make the Olympic team, assuming she is healthy enough to compete.
5. General non-skating comment. Most of the skaters were wearing masks in the KnC that did not fit correctly. They basically just sat on their faces and had visible gaps at the top and on the sides. If they wear them like that everywhere, it’s no wonder we are seeing so many positive tests.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
My thoughts:
1. I agree with the person up thread who questioned why Gabby Izzo’s score was so close to Gracie’s, given the jump combo that each landed. This is a legit question; I’d love the thoughts of someone who can say if there were other elements that balanced out that difference.

One factor is that Gabby had all level 4s and Gracie had 2 level 3s.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
Sad for Alyssa because I'm sure she wanted to compete and try to win. But she will go the the Olympics and likely be selected for both programs in the team event.

Interesting for NBC/USFSA. They can make Mariah the oldest US national champion in 90 years (or whatever I read in that article). They can promote Alyssa as the "would have been National champion but for COVID." They might get to make Karen our longest break between two Champships" National Champion. They will also get to put two up and comers on the podium (in 3rd and 4th.)

This also give NBC/USFSA a chance to explain the selection criteria and why we need it instead of just saying, "Hold on now, this might be the team, we have selection committees . . ."