2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 228 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

AlysaLiuStan

#Liunatic
On the Ice
Country
Italy
Alysa always comes from behind after the SP. Her combos were more rotated here then earlier in the year, which bodes well for her FS (all 3 combos backloaded). Remember, it is a question if the 2 women ahead of her will even successfully attempt a single 3-3 today. If Alysa’s on, a third US title is more than likely.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
It will be an exciting free skate! The top 5 all have opportunities to make a huge moment. Karen and Mariah have a few points lead over Alysa and will both have a small PCS cushion ahead of her in the FS, too. Anyone could win if they go clean. Then there’s the Isabeau factor. She could end up on the podium based on BV + GOE.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What makes y'all think the Fed will take Gracie to the Olympics or Worlds if she is able to go somewhere and get the tech minimums? As delicately as it can be said she has had very few decent skates with technical content that would probably struggle to be 15-20th place for the last few years.
Gracie doesn't have the "body of work," so she is pretty much out of the running for the Olympics and Worlds, tech or no tech.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She changed coaches about a month and a half ago, honestly what really were they supposed to have accomplished with her in that timeframe? In all likelihood the only benefit she will see (potentially) is better stamina to hopefully stop under-rotating her triple-triples in the FS because she's training more in Colorado which is at a higher elevation.
There was an improvement, too, that I saw. Her 3-3 was clean. That has been a struggle for her all season. But I agree, it is unreallstic to think there could be a major improvement after such a short time. It's unwarranted criticism.

prorussian fan

On the Ice
Could the federation make an exception to its rules and give the team place to Gracie if she skates really well tonight and manages to get on the podium?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did anyone else see the article where Gracie is quoted as saying that the Olympics are still attainable? Does she know something that we don’t?

Gold said making it back to the Olympics has been one of her goals.

“It is, in theory, completely attainable,” she said, expressing satisfaction with her short. “Copy and paste for tomorrow.”
Surely she and her coaches know. Surely. But yass Queen. Keep skating until you’re 30. I will be happy to bankrupt myself trailing behind you.

prorussian fan

On the Ice
Honestly, Gracie's skating last night was better than Alysa's or even Mariah's, but the scores reflected something else.
So sad, after all of Gracie's accomplishments and her struggle for self-improvement.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Could the federation make an exception to its rules and give the team place to Gracie if she skates really well tonight and manages to get on the podium?
I guess technically they could name anyone to the team they want to. But she wouldn’t be allowed to skate at the Olympics. Kind of like I suppose they could name me, but I wouldn’t be allowed to skate there either.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Holy crap I never heard of this accident, so sad.
Really? USFS did a movie about it though I guess it would not have been available in your country. They have pretty much kept this story alive in the US for all these years so I knew of it even though it happened before I was born. There’s a plaque about it at SCOB. I think USFS has some sort of essay contest where the young skaters watch it and write an essay.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alysa always comes from behind after the SP. Her combos were more rotated here then earlier in the year, which bodes well for her FS (all 3 combos backloaded). Remember, it is a question if the 2 women ahead of her will even successfully attempt a single 3-3 today. If Alysa’s on, a third US title is more than likely.
There were a LOT of 3-3s yesterday.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It just dawned on me that Gracie Gold will be skating in the final group! I'll be honest, when she started her comeback a couple of years ago I really did not think she would reach that level again. Good for her.

Never count her out. ❤️

loopy1217

Rinkside
Gracie doesn't have the "body of work," so she is pretty much out of the running for the Olympics and Worlds, tech or no tech.
And I think it might not be good for her mentally to just go from under the radar to world stage. However, it might be a good idea (I hope?) for her to go for 4cc to get some experience and world points without the top groups (since they all be preparing for Olympics or world or both).

Amei

Record Breaker
Honestly, Gracie's skating last night was better than Alysa's or even Mariah's, but the scores reflected something else.
So sad, after all of Gracie's accomplishments and her struggle for self-improvement.

Well
1) Gracie skated early (which she would do internationally as well because of her low or nonexistent ranking) which historically impacts PCS
2) Gracie's accomplishments from 4+ years ago or struggle should mean nothing to the judges. Skaters should be scored based on what they put on the ice not what they did last week, last year or the last Olympic cycle and certainly not based on their "struggle" - leave the martyr making for fans and TV personalities otherwise you'll likely see skaters coming in droves talking about some struggle they've gone through to garner better scores.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, I think she is just telling herself that to get through her training and to get through the week. Otherwise, why bother?

The only thing within her control at this point is how she skates tonight.
I can think of many reasons. To get herself on the podium at this event. To place in top 5 so she doesn’t have to slog her way through qualifying for Nationals next year. To get International assignments for next year. To represent all of us who have ED, anxiety and depression. (Thanks for the representation Queen).

The Olympics is a great event but it isn’t the only event.

I wish people would quit making the Olympics into the only event there is. It drives me insane. Many skaters have successful careers without ever attending an Olympics, let alone winning a medal. Gracie is an Olympic bronze medalist. That’s more than the vast majority of skaters in any country will ever have.

The only thing under any of their control is how they skate tonight.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
And I think it might not be good for her mentally to just go from under the radar to world stage. However, it might be a good idea (I hope?) for her to go for 4cc to get some experience and world points without the top groups (since they all be preparing for Olympics or world or both).

Unfortunately she doesn’t have the minimums for 4CC either. Her only hope for the Olympics is Bavarian open (IF hypothetically she was chosen), but that takes place at the same time as 4CC. There is nowhere she could get the minimums for 4CC in time and she can’t compete there without the minimums (otherwise we’d all be saying if she finishes in the top 3 send her there to prove it internationally and get the minimums for the Olympics instead of Bavarian).

breadstal

Record Breaker
What sad news, I hope she will recover easily and fast 😭 She still should go to Olympics, she gave US ladies team the 3rd spot, while Karen/ Mariah wouldn't (in September, at least).

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Alysa is positive for Covid. Will she petition for the olympics??
Yes, she has the BOW and unless Lindsay has THE skate it's very unlikely anyone can knock Alysa off the team with Amber's placement and Gracie's lack of mins.

And I guess this explains the lack of sharp movements and just general off-ness last night. Even if you don't feel that sick, having COVID can certainly affect movement and energy while skating.