Mao Shimada | Golden Skate

Mao Shimada

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Mao Shimada (島田 麻央 Shimada Mao) is a Japanese figure skater born on 30 October 2008 in Tokyo.

At international level, she is the 2023 and 2024 Junior World Champion, the 2022-23 and 2023-24 JGP Final champion and the 2023 JGP Osaka, the 2022 JGP Poland and the 2022 JGP Czech champion.

At national level, she is the 2021 and 2022 Junior national champion, the 2021 and 2020 novice A champion, the 2020 junior national bronze medalist, the 2019 novice B champion.

She successfully landed 4T for the first time at 12yo at Kyoto championships and also attempted 3A in competition.

She is coached by Mie Hamada at Konoshita Academy. She was previously coached by Koji Okajima in Tokyo.

ISU Bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00114088.htm
Federation Bio: https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/figure/player/detail.php?id=Zhh858U92yQ=
Rink Results: http://www.rinkresults.com/skater?skater_id=31766
Skating Scores: https://skatingscores.com/jpn/women/mao_shimada/

ISU Personal Bests

Personal Best Total Score224.5403.03.2023ISU World Junior Championships 2023
Personal Best Score Short Program73.7815.09.2023ISU JGP Osaka 2023
Personal Best Score Free Skating152.7603.03.2023ISU World Junior Championships 2023

Programs
2023-2024:
SP: "Americano” by Lady Gaga and Judy Kang; "Composition" by Judy Kang, Karl Hugo
FS: "Benedictus" by Karl Jenkins; choreo by Kaitlyn Weaver, Lori Nichol

2022-2023:
SP: Lion King soundtrack; choreo by Cathy Reed
FS: "Passepied;" choreo by Lori Nicol

Competition History

Videos
Here are the videos of her winning programs.

Mao's Quad Toe! March 2021

2021 junior gold FS
2021 junior SP
2021 novice A gold
2020 junior nationals bronze
2020 Novice A gold
2019 novice B gold

Last edited by a moderator:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Happy birthday to Mao!

Any news about her SP music this season? I'm looking forward junior nats. The battle for the podium will be fierce. Teammates Ayumi Shibayama and Hana Yoshida and others like Rion Sumiyoshi and Ami Nakai have strong arguments too.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Mao won junior nats with two clean skates (including aa 4T in the free program).
I don't recall a novice winning junior nats.
And i just checked, among Japanese ladies, i think that so far she got the highest TES for domestic comps (76.03) and is only 2nd to Mihara when we take into account international scores. That's with one less technical element than seniors :laugh:

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Post-competition interview with Mao Shimada (translation roughly):

*Shimada won the 21' Jr. Women's Nationals, as the current NvA Women's National Champion. This is since 94' when Shizuka Arakawa won the Jr. Nationals' title as the NvA Champion of that year (At that time Arakawa was a 1st-year high school student).

- In general, Mao said she was happy about the winning, and about landing the 4T in the FS program.
- She wasn't able to jump the 4T during the 6-min warming up, and she sensed that her jumping axis was off. So she made the adjustment afterwards.
- To be able to land 4T in the recent competitions including regional, NvA Nationals, and now at Jr. Nationals have helped her gain confidence.
- Comparing to NvA level skating, she had to add one more jump (and 30 sec longer) to make the Jr. program. Mao said she failed with the Jr. level program at first. So she's happy she can make the program works.
- For the future competitions (she'll turn Jr. next season), she wants to work more on the skating skills in addition to jumps, and paying attention to PCS. As for jumps, she will want to try 2 quads, and perhaps to start with 2 4Ts.
- She's happy to follow Arakawa's step and win the Jr. Nationals as NvA level skater (and her impression of Arawkawa is of course...the Ina Bauer!)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Post-competition interview with Mao Shimada (translation roughly):

*Shimada won the 21' Jr. Women's Nationals, as the current NvA Women's National Champion. This is since 94' when Shizuka Arakawa won the Jr. Nationals' title as the NvA Champion of that year (At that time Arakawa was a 1st-year high school student).

- In general, Mao said she was happy about the winning, and about landing the 4T in the FS program.
- She wasn't able to jump the 4T during the 6-min warming up, and she sensed that her jumping axis was off. So she made the adjustment afterwards.
- To be able to land 4T in the recent competitions including regional, NvA Nationals, and now at Jr. Nationals have helped her gain confidence.
- Comparing to NvA level skating, she had to add one more jump (and 30 sec longer) to make the Jr. program. Mao said she failed with the Jr. level program at first. So she's happy she can make the program works.
- For the future competitions (she'll turn Jr. next season), she wants to work more on the skating skills in addition to jumps, and paying attention to PCS. As for jumps, she will want to try 2 quads, and perhaps to start with 2 4Ts.
- She's happy to follow Arakawa's step and win the Jr. Nationals as NvA level skater (and her impression of Arawkawa is of course...the Ina Bauer!)
Oh so Shizuka did the same thing. I hope Mao has the same bright future (with more consistency though).
Seems like her team gave up on 3A. She tried it at her first novice A nats. Too bad.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
She was great. All green with all her elements. I will be rooting for her in Juniors next year.

DougDorsey

On the Ice
Are there any videos of Mao's performances at this past weekend's Kyoto Prefectural Championships?

gotoschool

Medalist
Congratulation to Mao on her resounding victory. I was amazed by her performance in the SP and even more in the LP. Mao Shimada's freeskate to me was stunning in its beauty mixed with elegance and power. Despite the fall on her quad toe, she still landed a tremendous triple axel, but there were so many other fine features that impressed me even more. First of all, she conveyed a true sense of emotional resonance to the audience and engaged them in her performance by skating so close to the boards demonstrating great skating skills and rink coverage. She also had erect posture, balletic grace and extension and held a picturesque and flexible arabesque spiral for such a long time while doing a complete 360 on the ice. Furthermore, she had a really quick transition between her deep-seated sit spin and a one-handed camel position as well as doing great transitions: like the back spiral transitioning into her tano triple lutz with such model posture, lovely extension of her arms and marvelous, crisp edges with fast flow through her whole program including her jumps which had very good height and rotation. Furthermore, she is actually able to hold difficult positions and increase her speed in spins, particularly on the Biellmann and I spin.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I am so impressed with her. I think it is so wrong that she won't be eligible for the Olympics until she is 21 years old in 2030. Is it possible that a rule change might take place where you only have to be 17 at the time of the Games? Or just make the cutoff December 31 of their birth year, which I believe is what gymnastics does? Sofya Akatyeva is in the same situation. Ridiculous.

Warwick360

Medalist
Saw her first time this week, and the girl was amazing. Normally, I don't follow JGP, with the 3A generation being the exception, but I am certainly glad that I checked some of the videos of the juniors. Especially that of Mao and Minkyu Seo.:clap: