2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 82 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I know, even my husband likes Messing's galas, so he doesn't mind going with me. Messing and I did the opposite choices for SkCan/SkAm in 2019 and this year, but I really want to see him live and I thought in his case gala is awesome. Just fingers crossed he will be performing in Calgary.

That would be another one of the 'must see live!' checked off the list.
he is awesome.... very underrated skater in my opinion. There is nobody like Keegan.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know, even my husband likes Messing's galas, so he doesn't mind going with me. Messing and I did the opposite choices for SkCan/SkAm in 2019 and this year, but I really want to see him live and I thought in his case gala is awesome. Just fingers crossed he will be performing in Calgary.

That would be another one of the 'must see live!' checked off the list.
I hope your dream comes true~ ❤

I'm glad I've gotten to see Keegan a few times, though I've only seen one gala of his-- the one where he paid tribute to his late brother at Skate America 2019. 😭 I came late to the Worlds gala this year and am still kicking myself for missing out on Whiskey... It's really clear to me that Keegan just wants to have fun when he performs and give the audience a fun time too. 😁

Personally, I'd love to see Patrick Chan perform live. I know I saw him firing off a T-shirt cannon into the audience at GPF 2018, but that doesn't count. 😆

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I hope your dream comes true~ ❤

I'm glad I've gotten to see Keegan a few times, though I've only seen one gala of his-- the one where he paid tribute to his late brother at Skate America 2019. 😭 I came late to the Worlds gala this year and am still kicking myself for missing out on Whiskey... It's really clear to me that Keegan just wants to have fun when he performs and give the audience a fun time too. 😁

Personally, I'd love to see Patrick Chan perform live. I know I saw him firing off a T-shirt cannon into the audience at GPF 2018, but that doesn't count. 😆
Patrick Chan live is epic. When people talk about PCS, Patrick should have been always at least 10 points above the pack. Ice coverage, speed, meandering and twirling in all directions on various deep edges, posture, line. Purity of movement. Musical expression not simply in the face or arms like some but from the core of the body, from the blades... He is INCREDIBLE. I was a fan before seeing him live.. and everyone was telling me.. you gotta do it...

I went to nationals when he did journey. and I cried while cheering and giving him a standing ovation... I looked next to me... some people who had not been very nice about Patrick just prior to his skate (you know, typical naysayers) and were sitting next to me could not remain silent anymore and were also on their feet.. One woman was.. yeah.. that's Patrick Chan for you. The one and only Patrick Chan.

Here is what i am referring to... I wish i could tell you : this is me you hear screaming... but nope.. the entire crowd was...
Bonus : a quad salchow

I am so happy I saw him perform perhaps one of his best LP ever. In shows, he is great, still the fabulous skater he is.. but i prefer by far his competitive programs, since they are so intricate. I'd still recommend going to watch him live if he resumes skating in shows... it's so much better than on camera...in his case, there is a huge difference and for the better... in some other athletes' case, there is a difference live but not always for the better...

Last edited:

rugbyfan

On the Ice
Patrick Chan live is epic. When people talk about PCS, Patrick should have been always at least 10 points above the pack. Ice coverage, speed, meandering and twirling in all directions on various deep edges, posture, line. Purity of movement. Musical expression not simply in the face or arms like some but from the core of the body, from the blades... He is INCREDIBLE. I was a fan before seeing him live.. and everyone was telling me.. you gotta do it...

I went to nationals when he did journey. and I cried while cheering and giving him a standing ovation... I looked next to me... some people who had not been very nice about Patrick just prior to his skate (you know, typical naysayers) and were sitting next to me could not remain silent anymore and were also on their feet.. One woman was.. yeah.. that's Patrick Chan for you. The one and only Patrick Chan.

Here is what i am referring to... I wish i could tell you : this is me you hear screaming... but nope.. the entire crowd was...
Bonus : a quad salchow

I am so happy I saw him perform perhaps one of his best LP ever. In shows, he is great, still the fabulous skater he is.. but i prefer by far his competitive programs, since they are so intricate. I'd still recommend going to watch him live if he resumes skating in shows... it's so much better than on camera...in his case, there is a huge difference and for the better... in some other athletes' case, there is a difference live but not always for the better...

That Patrick video was super. I am having an extraordinarily hideous week and just took a short break from work to watch that and was a superb reminder

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Apparently we have a new pairs team, Natalia Zabiiako and Zachary Daleman. I not sure how a Russian skater with no attachment to Canada is going to be received by the public right now. I guess we will see…

The silver medalist of the 2018 Olympics, Russian figure skater Natalya Zabiyako, resumes her career and will compete for Canada, a source told RIA Novosti Sport.

Zabiyako's new partner will be Canadian figure skater Zachary Daleman, younger brother of 2017 World Championship bronze medalist Gabrielle Daleman.

Zabiyako and Daleman will train in Canada with Bruno Marcotte.

Source: https://t.me/sportrian/19188

Last edited:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Is Ravi Walia coaching any of the Canadian women? Is he so expensive that no one but a skater of privilege can take lessons? I think there's only 2 Canadian women with high tech content.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is Ravi Walia coaching any of the Canadian women? Is he so expensive that no one but a skater of privilege can take lessons? I think there's only 2 Canadian women with high tech content.
He’s not more expensive than any other coach (though skating is expensive enough that most could be described as “of privilege”).

He lives and works in Edmonton, so not really an option for young skaters from Quebec, Ontario or BC unless they want to move there.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
He’s not more expensive than any other coach (though skating is expensive enough that most could be described as “of privilege”).

He lives and works in Edmonton, so not really an option for young skaters from Quebec, Ontario or BC unless they want to move there.
and quite frankly, it's not the most enjoyable cities to live in. I had to choose between Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver at one point in my life. Let's just say that Edmonton came last for a bunch of reasons.. That's just my personal opinion of course, but it may apply to others. I would move to pretty much any other large Canadian city before Edmonton.

Reverie

On the Ice
Congratulations to Nam. Great competitive skating career.

Skate Canada Next Gen 2022-23 list posted on their website.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Apparently we have a new pairs team, Natalia Zabiiako and Zachary Daleman. I not sure how a Russian skater with no attachment to Canada is going to be received by the public right now. I guess we will see…

Source: https://t.me/sportrian/19188
For the record, Natalia isn’t just a Russian skater, she’s also Estonian, born in Estonia and competed for them until 2014.

Kittosuni

Medalist
For the record, Natalia isn’t just a Russian skater, she’s also Estonian, born in Estonia and competed for them until 2014.
She also lived and trained in the US for a while before representing Russia.

Strengths
-Consistent throw jumps (Sal, Loop and Lutz)
-Consistent 3T+2T+2L jump
-Her pair elements technique is very good.
-Triple twist looks great(obviously will depend a lot from her new partner)
-Very consistent short program performer.
-She has a classic pair look
-Looks very conditioned all the time(even now)

Needs improvements
-3Sal jump (She always messes this up and prone to UR) have done 2axel before.
-Performance aspect. Looks dead and dialed in most of the time(gorgeous face though)

She is definitely a dream partner. The only concern is that she doesn't have a consistent second solo jump.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Are we going to open up a new thread for us Canadians for the upcoming next season?

Romsky posted a new video:

He is working on upgrading his technical elements. The video shows him practicing on a new quad, as he wants to aim for three quads into his layout for next season’s free skate. I’ll let you guys watch the video to see his explanation and find out what quad he is practicing 😝

Go Romsky!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Are we going to open up a new thread for us Canadians for the upcoming next season?

Romsky posted a new video:

He is working on upgrading his technical elements. The video shows him practicing on a new quad, as he wants to aim for three quads into his layout for next season’s free skate. I’ll let you guys watch the video to see his explanation and find out what quad he is practicing 😝

Go Romsky!
lol @ don't sniff sharpies