Choosing a Blade like the Legacy 8 for the spin rocker but with a main rocker like the CA | Golden Skate

Choosing a Blade like the Legacy 8 for the spin rocker but with a main rocker like the CA

Caromia

Spectator
Hi! I'm new to this forum but I've been reading tons of threads on blades. I've read pretty much anything I could find about spin rockers on various blades and how they compare to one another, but I thought I would ask my specific question and see if someone could lead me in the right direction.
I'm an adult skater working on gold moves/fs and axel. I LOVE to spin - struggle with moves a little more - love to jump too. I pronate massively and my blades are always adjusted for that pronation, but it bears mentioning because it makes a lot of skills (moves/edges wise) harder. I'm in a Risport RF3 boot (which I love) and Coronation Ace blade. I moved to a coronation ace blade almost 2 years ago from a legacy 8. I was in a legacy 8 blade for about 10 years before the coronation ace. In general, all moves/turns are easier on coronation ace. Jumps are good too! What is not good, and a complete struggle is the spins. Specifically forward spins.
For the last 2 years I have struggled with maintaining my spins without rocking - I never had to think before about basic scratch or sit spins with the legacy. Even my layback/haircutter is a struggle. I can get into all the spins and then I feel like it's a constant process of balance checks within the spin. It is rarely effortless to stay centered in any spin. For that reason, I tried to switch back to the legacy 8 recently. Forward spins came back immediately - I could stay in the spin fast and centered. Even catch foot camel, haircutters, camel combos were easy again. It was amazing! What I did not like is how flat the blade rocker was in comparison to the CA. Turns and edges are a bit harder and I can feel how flat it is now in comparison. Jumps were completely fine and maybe even more stable on landing, but I land just fine with the CA as well. I do like the CA's toepick a bit better too as it seemed easier to get lift for the axel from it.
So, my question is - is there a blade that might give me the spin rocker from the legacy 8 and the toe pick and main rocker from the CA?

I understand that the CA is a 7' rocker vs the 8' legacy rocker and that ultima rockers are way flatter in general. I've read so many opinions on the topic within this forum and measured both of my blades in detail to try and figure out what might be best but I'm still trying to figure out which blade I should try. I thought maybe I should go with MK Pro since that is essentially similar to the CA - but I'm not sure if the spin rocker is different. I have looked at the higher level blades in the 7' rocker (MK - phantom & gold star) and I've also realized that maybe a 8' rocker would not be as flat in another brand as ultima and maybe I could look at those as well just so I could get the spin rocker I'm looking for with a blade that might be as responsive as the CA with turns.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to which blade that might be best for me? Any suggestions would be so very helpful at this point!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! I'm new to this forum but I've been reading tons of threads on blades. I've read pretty much anything I could find about spin rockers on various blades and how they compare to one another, but I thought I would ask my specific question and see if someone could lead me in the right direction.
I'm an adult skater working on gold moves/fs and axel. I LOVE to spin - struggle with moves a little more - love to jump too. I pronate massively and my blades are always adjusted for that pronation, but it bears mentioning because it makes a lot of skills (moves/edges wise) harder. I'm in a Risport RF3 boot (which I love) and Coronation Ace blade. I moved to a coronation ace blade almost 2 years ago from a legacy 8. I was in a legacy 8 blade for about 10 years before the coronation ace. In general, all moves/turns are easier on coronation ace. Jumps are good too! What is not good, and a complete struggle is the spins. Specifically forward spins.
For the last 2 years I have struggled with maintaining my spins without rocking - I never had to think before about basic scratch or sit spins with the legacy. Even my layback/haircutter is a struggle. I can get into all the spins and then I feel like it's a constant process of balance checks within the spin. It is rarely effortless to stay centered in any spin. For that reason, I tried to switch back to the legacy 8 recently. Forward spins came back immediately - I could stay in the spin fast and centered. Even catch foot camel, haircutters, camel combos were easy again. It was amazing! What I did not like is how flat the blade rocker was in comparison to the CA. Turns and edges are a bit harder and I can feel how flat it is now in comparison. Jumps were completely fine and maybe even more stable on landing, but I land just fine with the CA as well. I do like the CA's toepick a bit better too as it seemed easier to get lift for the axel from it.
So, my question is - is there a blade that might give me the spin rocker from the legacy 8 and the toe pick and main rocker from the CA?

I understand that the CA is a 7' rocker vs the 8' legacy rocker and that ultima rockers are way flatter in general. I've read so many opinions on the topic within this forum and measured both of my blades in detail to try and figure out what might be best but I'm still trying to figure out which blade I should try. I thought maybe I should go with MK Pro since that is essentially similar to the CA - but I'm not sure if the spin rocker is different. I have looked at the higher level blades in the 7' rocker (MK - phantom & gold star) and I've also realized that maybe a 8' rocker would not be as flat in another brand as ultima and maybe I could look at those as well just so I could get the spin rocker I'm looking for with a blade that might be as responsive as the CA with turns.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to which blade that might be best for me? Any suggestions would be so very helpful at this point!
HI and welcome! You aren't going to get exactly what you want with anything out there. Your best choices would be MK Phantom/JW P99 if you don't like the higher stanchions and feel of the very curved rocker., if you need something higher than intermediate level blade like MK Pro. Yes, I know the pick is intimidating on the P99/Phantom, but believe me you'll get used to it.

Caromia

Spectator
Thank you! I was hoping you would reply. I've read so many of your previous recommendations! Yes, I've been looking at the Phantoms. I wasn't sure about the P99 because they seemed to have the same spin rocker as the CA on paper but I know from one of your other comments that they are completely different blades. I will definitely take both into consideration!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'd recommend the Phantoms. Not sure you'll like the P99s for spinning. A friend with essentially your problem tried P99s and hated the big bottom pick. Went to Coronation Ace for a while but now on Phantoms and very, very happy.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The only issue though is the two bottom picks on the Phantom are also bigger, not as big but big enough for someone that doesn't have the right balance on the rocker to actually be able to spin. It's all about knowing where your "sweet spot " is on each blade.
I suspect the person above that WM was talking about had more of a problem with P99's and hitting the pick b/c they are 8ft blades compared to 7ft ones like Coronation Ace and Phantom are, hence why Phantom was the better blade for them. JMHO.

Caromia

Spectator
The only issue though is the two bottom picks on the Phantom are also bigger, not as big but big enough for someone that doesn't have the right balance on the rocker to actually be able to spin. It's all about knowing where your "sweet spot " is on each blade.
I suspect the person above that WM was talking about had more of a problem with P99's and hitting the pick b/c they are 8ft blades compared to 7ft ones like Coronation Ace and Phantom are, hence why Phantom was the better blade for them. JMHO.
Ok, I see what you mean. So maybe since I've been in both 7 & 8ft rockers that may not be the case for me. I've called my skate tech and had him place both blades in my size on hold so I can see them in person and then I will make a decision. I'm hoping one of these will work out based on the recommendations! Either way I'm really excited to try a new blade out. I'm sure the toe picks are going to freak me out a little but as you said I'm sure I can get used to it. I'll just be so happy to enjoy spins again!

Elija

On the Ice
I would try phantoms! I got them for the exact same reason - I didn’t like the really curved spin rocker on forward spins on CA. I definitely feel more balanced on the phantoms, and haven’t found that the larger toepick gets in the way at all. They’re a great blade overall.

Caromia

Spectator
Awesome to hear! That's definitely what I don't like about the CA. Thanks for chiming in! So helpful!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Oh wow! So, she also had problems spinning with both CA and Pattern 99?
Major problems spinning with the Pattern 99s. Hated it. Really struggled. Not so much the Coronation Ace, although she missed the larger top pic of the 99s for toe jumps.
That's a really good point, actually! I have never really given the 7ft vs 8ft rocker a second thought for myself but it may well have given her problems. But she's really happy with the Phantoms over the Aces (and I'm really happy to have sold my old ones to someone who loves them!) Despite having the Parabolic version of the Aces, she finds the Phantoms much nicer for edges and turns.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I do like the CA's toepick a bit better too as it seemed easier to get lift for the axel from it.
Well, it looks like you won't get 3/3. But if you're settling for 2/3, maybe you should also add the Legacy 7 to the list of blades to consider.

Caromia

Spectator
Ok, so update on the blades! I ended up getting the phantom blades in Fairfax! I already had new boots on hold so I was able to look at a few blades on Saturday, compare them and have one test mounted. Marlon (skate tech there) recommended them as well.
I skated two sessions that day and OMG... At first it felt exactly like the CA. I was doing everything I normally do within 15 min and it was like I was wearing the exact same blades except everything feels smoother-less rocky. Turns, edges and the biggest surprise was spirals. I didn't realize I was having to use so much energy to just stay where I needed to be on the blade but wow! I can just glide and there is no shifting of weight like in the CA so I can really hold the extension. That was an unexpected bonus! And the spins! So much easier to hold. I basically can rock all the way forward like on the legacies and and then rock slightly back to find the sweet spot and stay there. Toe pick is not an issue at all. I haven't done many toe jumps but I get a little extra oomph from that massive pick when I do. I'm an edge jumper for sure so this is great! No problems with tripping over myself at all. If anything, I wish I had considered a larger pick earlier.
So, all in all I'm really happy with the phantom so far. It's so smooth!! I wanted to leave this review here so if someone else is looking for something similar they will know it's a great option for someone coming from coronation ace looking for the next step up and a spin rocker that isn't quite so rocky. Is it exactly like the Ultima blade spin rocker? No, it's not, but it's a lot closer and if someone is having spinning issues on the CA but likes the 7' rocker then the Phantom is a great blade to try.

Thanks so much everyone for your recommendations. They really helped!! So excited to see what else this blade can do!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well, it looks like you won't get 3/3. But if you're settling for 2/3, maybe you should also add the Legacy 7 to the list of blades to consider.
[Sorry! Looks like I posted too late. I started this before Post #12 was up. Anyway, I'm glad Caromia found what she wanted. Maybe this info will be of use to others.]

I just realized I have a blade stashed in my basement that will give you 3/3, plus bonus benefits. You should also take a look at the Eclipse Aurora. It is the Eclipse copy of the Coronation Ace, with some differences. A couple of years ago, I had switched from Coronation Ace to Aurora, but I didn't like it for one significant difference that is a big negative for me, but a big plus for you.

So, the Aurora has a 7-ft radius main rocker, as does the Coronation Ace. But the spin rocker on the Aurora is flatter than on the Coronation Ace. That's why I dropped it: I prefer a more rounded spin rocker. But since you prefer a flatter spin rocker, that's a plus for you. And I just retrieved my Aurora and Coronation Ace from basement storage to compare the toepicks. They are very similar; but overall, all the toepicks (drag, top, intermediate) on the Aurora are more pronounced and sharper than those on the Coronation Ace (though not dramatically more). Again, a plus for you.

As an added plus, the Aurora is fabricated from 440C stainless steel. Not only is it more highly rust resistant compared to the plain carbon steel of the Coronation Ace, it also holds an edge much longer. The Aurora has traditional construction; no special jig required for sharpening.

As an added, added plus, the cost is $240 (same price as the Legacy 7; less than the Coronation Ace and MK Pro; waay less than Phantom and P99).

You should definitely add it to your list of candidate blades.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ok, so update on the blades! I ended up getting the phantom blades in Fairfax! I already had new boots on hold so I was able to look at a few blades on Saturday, compare them and have one test mounted. Marlon (skate tech there) recommended them as well.
I skated two sessions that day and OMG... At first it felt exactly like the CA. I was doing everything I normally do within 15 min and it was like I was wearing the exact same blades except everything feels smoother-less rocky. Turns, edges and the biggest surprise was spirals. I didn't realize I was having to use so much energy to just stay where I needed to be on the blade but wow! I can just glide and there is no shifting of weight like in the CA so I can really hold the extension. That was an unexpected bonus! And the spins! So much easier to hold. I basically can rock all the way forward like on the legacies and and then rock slightly back to find the sweet spot and stay there. Toe pick is not an issue at all. I haven't done many toe jumps but I get a little extra oomph from that massive pick when I do. I'm an edge jumper for sure so this is great! No problems with tripping over myself at all. If anything, I wish I had considered a larger pick earlier.
So, all in all I'm really happy with the phantom so far. It's so smooth!! I wanted to leave this review here so if someone else is looking for something similar they will know it's a great option for someone coming from coronation ace looking for the next step up and a spin rocker that isn't quite so rocky. Is it exactly like the Ultima blade spin rocker? No, it's not, but it's a lot closer and if someone is having spinning issues on the CA but likes the 7' rocker then the Phantom is a great blade to try.

Thanks so much everyone for your recommendations. They really helped!! So excited to see what else this blade can do!
Told ya! ;) I'm so glad you are happy and they worked out.

(Pssst...I'm an edge jumper too ;))

chen395115205

Spectator
mk Phantom or phantom revolution, less curved spin rocker and 7ft main rocker

10-copy1.jpg

I hate to be a thread hijacker, but I have Coronation Ace right now I think I've been having quite similar problems to OP--rocky forward spins, slippery spirals, etc. However, I know I'm not nearly ready for an advanced blade--I don't see myself landing Axel until the fall at the very soonest. I also just got my CA's replaced because the first ones I got had a defect in the chroming, so they probably literally have years left in them.

So I know all I can do now is work on strength and technique, which to be fair is probably a lot of the problem. But at what point could I consider trying out something like Phantoms? Would it be around Axel, or more like double flip, or is it more complicated than which jumps I have? Or would trying MK Pros sometime sooner be worth it?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I hate to be a thread hijacker, but I have Coronation Ace right now I think I've been having quite similar problems to OP--rocky forward spins, slippery spirals, etc. However, I know I'm not nearly ready for an advanced blade--I don't see myself landing Axel until the fall at the very soonest. I also just got my CA's replaced because the first ones I got had a defect in the chroming, so they probably literally have years left in them.

So I know all I can do now is work on strength and technique, which to be fair is probably a lot of the problem. But at what point could I consider trying out something like Phantoms? Would it be around Axel, or more like double flip, or is it more complicated than which jumps I have? Or would trying MK Pros sometime sooner be worth it?
Phantom is a tricky blade and one I wouldn't recommend for many unless you have your higher doubles and triples and are very good with edges.

If you are having issues with Coro Ace, definitely wouldn't suggest Phantom.