Complex Boot and Blade Advice | Golden Skate

Complex Boot and Blade Advice

sergiosanjorg

Spectator
Hello everyone,
First of all I would like to thank you all for the time you spend sharing your knowledge here, it's really helpful. I'm in the process of choosing new skates but unfortunately here in Madrid Spain there simply are no skate techs, just skate shops with basic knowledge. My height is 6'4 and I'm 170 lbs. Back when I was a teenager I trained freestyle all the way up to 2A before fully committing to dance. I trained and competed in dance for many years, at first I tried with the Risport Dance boots which were the best thing I've ever felt in my feet but they were way to soft for me (probably because of my dimensions) and I just destroyed them. So for the last years of my competitive career I ended up going with very stiff custom Jackson Dance boots and MK dance blades.
That was over 9 years ago and now as an adult I just went back to skating and would like to go back to freestyle. For the las few weeks I've been training in the last skates I used when I worked as a coach which are a pair of the custom Jackson dance boots and a pair of Coronation dance blades. The boots are doing what they can considering they are lower cut and 10 years old but my main concern are the blades, jumping in them is extremely scary, I find it extremely hard to find a sweet spot for spins and they feel a bit unstable overall. So here is what I have in mind so far, for the boots I don't want to go for another pair of Jacksons and I've come to the conclusion that the Risport Royal Prime could be a good idea for me, I was worried that I might be "over-booting" considering I won't be jumping triples any time soon, but since Risport seemed to really work for my feet, the fact that they are a lower cut and also considering my dimensions I think they could be a good choice, I'm also afraid that the Royal Pro are going to be not strong enough and I'll just destroy them like it happened with the Risport Dance boots. The blade decision is where I am really confused, the last freestyle blades I had were a pair of Matrix Supreme (Gold Seal equivalent) and I absolutely loved them, but after so many years of using short 7ft rocker dance blades I don't know if I'll be able to transition back to the flatter blades and specially the long tail is what worries me the most. I would love to go back to a freestyle blade with a more aggressive spinning rocker like the Gold Seal but the tail on those seems massive, and I wonder if the Phantom or de Gold Star would be a better option since they also have a 7ft rocker but it looks like only the Parabolic version is available now. Maybe the obvious answer would be the Dynasty synchro blades but other than the main rocker being 8ft I can't find information about the spinning rocker or the shape of that blade and I've only heard some opinions from people saying they struggle to get their sweet spot in them.

I know there is a lot to read in that message so thank you in advance for your time, I just wanted to share as much info as possible about my situation.

PS(I also wanted to take the opportunity to share with you this graph that shows the shape and rocker of some of the most common blades because I wish manufacturers would share this info on their sites and it wasn't so hard to find.)
10-copy1.jpg

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi and welcome, the stiffness rating of the Risport you would need does not exist and the RF1 or Prime is way too stiff at 90 for you.
I know you love the feel of Risport but it's best to not get a boot that is too stiff for you and risk other issues. You may want to look at going with the Jackson Supreme 5462 (it's low cut so you may like it even more), semi custom with a synergy pro with custom 75 stiffness rating, or just go custom all together.

Blades: MK Phantom or Gold Star.

Good luck! And there are pro figure skate dealers (one in Madrid, one in Barcelona)!

Timonerr_

Rinkside
Hello everyone,
First of all I would like to thank you all for the time you spend sharing your knowledge here, it's really helpful. I'm in the process of choosing new skates but unfortunately here in Madrid Spain there simply are no skate techs, just skate shops with basic knowledge. My height is 6'4 and I'm 170 lbs. Back when I was a teenager I trained freestyle all the way up to 2A before fully committing to dance. I trained and competed in dance for many years, at first I tried with the Risport Dance boots which were the best thing I've ever felt in my feet but they were way to soft for me (probably because of my dimensions) and I just destroyed them. So for the last years of my competitive career I ended up going with very stiff custom Jackson Dance boots and MK dance blades.
That was over 9 years ago and now as an adult I just went back to skating and would like to go back to freestyle. For the las few weeks I've been training in the last skates I used when I worked as a coach which are a pair of the custom Jackson dance boots and a pair of Coronation dance blades. The boots are doing what they can considering they are lower cut and 10 years old but my main concern are the blades, jumping in them is extremely scary, I find it extremely hard to find a sweet spot for spins and they feel a bit unstable overall. So here is what I have in mind so far, for the boots I don't want to go for another pair of Jacksons and I've come to the conclusion that the Risport Royal Prime could be a good idea for me, I was worried that I might be "over-booting" considering I won't be jumping triples any time soon, but since Risport seemed to really work for my feet, the fact that they are a lower cut and also considering my dimensions I think they could be a good choice, I'm also afraid that the Royal Pro are going to be not strong enough and I'll just destroy them like it happened with the Risport Dance boots. The blade decision is where I am really confused, the last freestyle blades I had were a pair of Matrix Supreme (Gold Seal equivalent) and I absolutely loved them, but after so many years of using short 7ft rocker dance blades I don't know if I'll be able to transition back to the flatter blades and specially the long tail is what worries me the most. I would love to go back to a freestyle blade with a more aggressive spinning rocker like the Gold Seal but the tail on those seems massive, and I wonder if the Phantom or de Gold Star would be a better option since they also have a 7ft rocker but it looks like only the Parabolic version is available now. Maybe the obvious answer would be the Dynasty synchro blades but other than the main rocker being 8ft I can't find information about the spinning rocker or the shape of that blade and I've only heard some opinions from people saying they struggle to get their sweet spot in them.

I know there is a lot to read in that message so thank you in advance for your time, I just wanted to share as much info as possible about my situation.

PS(I also wanted to take the opportunity to share with you this graph that shows the shape and rocker of some of the most common blades because I wish manufacturers would share this info on their sites and it wasn't so hard to find.)
10-copy1.jpg
Hello! I think the risport Royal prime would be the best for you, specially with your dimensions, as you said you basically destroyed your last boots, and for the blade i also transitioned from 7” rocker to the 8” and it was not problem at all, you just get used to it, I am currently in matrix and do not mind the non-curved rocker, as for the long tail in gold seals, I tried both and as I said before it was just s matter of getting used to it. No se si has hecho ya la decisión, pero cógete lo que te sientas más cómodo, la gente de este forum tiene las ideas muy cerradas, y siempre recomiendan lo mismo, a pesar de quizá no ser lo mejor, yo estoy intentando aprender dobles y soy de baja estatura y peso relativamente poco, voy a ir a rf3 pro de risport que es casi lo mismo que royal pro, a ti ni se te occura ir a algo parecido, si puedes ve a una tienda y pruébate las botas, tienes el pie ancho?

Timonerr_

Rinkside
Hello everyone,

10-copy1.jpg
Si quieres háblame por mensaje privado, yo tmabien tenia las coroAces y no encontraba en ningún momento el sweet spot, y pregunte en este foro y me dijeron que me quedase en el 7” rocker, no les hice caso por que yo sabía que no me vendría nada bien, por eso me cambié a matrix, y fue una muy buena decisión, si puedes cámbiate a matrix, pero tienes que preguntar si tú skate sharpener puede hacerlas, por que no todos pueden afilarlas, si no vete a gold seals Que esas para las spins no te puedes equivocar. Claro si el presupuesto no es problema, y lo de las botas, si tienes dinero deberías hacerte unas custom, si no cómprate las royal prime, si no las otras serán una pérdida de dinero y te tendrás que comprar otras en un año o menos.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! I think the risport Royal prime would be the best for you, specially with your dimensions, as you said you basically destroyed your last boots, and for the blade i also transitioned from 7” rocker to the 8” and it was not problem at all, you just get used to it, I am currently in matrix and do not mind the non-curved rocker, as for the long tail in gold seals, I tried both and as I said before it was just s matter of getting used to it. No se si has hecho ya la decisión, pero cógete lo que te sientas más cómodo, la gente de este forum tiene las ideas muy cerradas, y siempre recomiendan lo mismo, a pesar de quizá no ser lo mejor, yo estoy intentando aprender dobles y soy de baja estatura y peso relativamente poco, voy a ir a rf3 pro de risport que es casi lo mismo que royal pro, a ti ni se te occura ir a algo parecido, si puedes ve a una tienda y pruébate las botas, tienes el pie ancho?
Prime is too stiff for them

Timonerr_

Rinkside
Prime is too stiff for them
Yes it would usually be, but as he said he destroyed his previous boots, which would be kind of the same rating as royal pro, I told him basically if he had the money to get custom Jackson’s again, but if he didn’t have then the royal prime would be good, it is a waste of money to buy boots and them not being strong enough and breaking down in 6 months

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes it would usually be, but as he said he destroyed his previous boots, which would be kind of the same rating as royal pro, I told him basically if he had the money to get custom Jackson’s again, but if he didn’t have then the royal prime would be good, it is a waste of money to buy boots and them not being strong enough and breaking down in 6 months
Which is the reason why when I answered right after he posted I suggested a custom stiffness rating in another brand of boot other than risport b/c a 90 is not needed, even if he "destroyed" his other boots. He still doesn't need a 90.

Timonerr_

Rinkside
Which is the reason why when I answered right after he posted I suggested a custom stiffness rating in another brand of boot other than risport b/c a 90 is not needed, even if he "destroyed" his other boots. He still doesn't need a 90.
Yes that’s completely true, but In spain we don’t have much options and we can barely try things specially with the shortage of materials. But thank you so much for you advice always, it’s really helpful :)