Yuzuru Hanyu | Page 38 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu

Magill

Record Breaker
Skate Japan News:
"Yuzuru Hanyu performed his program “Phantom of the Opera” at Stars On Ice 2023. “This program is from a season in which I suffered so much from illness and injury, such as the accident at the Cup of China, so for a long time I thought to myself I will never perform it again. I performed it at the Tokyo Dome for the first time since then, thinking that I would like to complete this program and deliver it to you in a state where I can perform it well. I skated at this venue right after the accident, and I was not able to skate well then, so in that sense, I performed it here with the hope of giving a good performance.”

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I love POTO (and I love that costume as well no matter who doesn't) so was thrilled to see it at GIFT and then here. I wonder though if he intends to mix up the programs, since he has several of them fresh.

I also loved his opening.

Magill

Record Breaker
I love POTO (and I love that costume as well no matter who doesn't) so was thrilled to see it at GIFT and then here. I wonder though if he intends to mix up the programs, since he has several of them fresh.

I also loved his opening.
Yeah,. me too (both about POTO and the opening!)

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
That 4T+3T was insane! 😍
Here it is alone:

His 4T+3T have become even more impressive and "out of nowhere" in the two last years, maybe partly due to the fact that he had opted, in Rondo, for a single crossover to take speed for it; but here, when spectators first saw the rink, before the skaters came in, there was a sort of unanimous exclamation about how the ice looked bad. And, indeed, Yuzuru himself had a missed spin (something he hadn't had in how many years?) in the opening number then a saved jump in Phantom of the Opera. And other skaters' performance was underwhelming, but in such conditions it was quite understandable. But still this 4T+3T was perfect...

A few numbers. Stars on Ice, who last year didn't seem to fill 30% of the seats in spite of 50% sale on the ticket prices, maybe because of the poor quality/creativity (compared for instance with Fantasy on Ice, or Art on Ice in Europe), maybe because the cast wasn't liked by everybody; wasn't sold out today, but was full at more than 80%; and is said to be sold out for next days. (A fan tried to count the Prologue and GIFT tote bags entering, and found out about 70%, but well, this is not really scientific measurement, just an idea.) Without any price reduction.
Fantasy on Ice first draft result have just come out. It's not the same "bloodbath" as GIFT or even Notte Stellata, but still, many applicants lost this lottery. So, Fantasy on Ice is likely to be sold out in the end. Without any price reduction either, of course.

Meanwhile, at World Championships, organisers have managed a full venue for the last day, and I haven't read report of sponsors employees forced to attend, but there was a large number of reports from local residents, who got free tickets, and some of these tickets were very good seats (S category). So, the revenue for Worlds may have been lower than expected. Fuji had bought the TV broadcast and didn't manage to resell any to other TV channels, even a few seconds for TV New, and the shares in viewing are said to be abysmal (they appear neither in Monday reports, which are for high numbers of viewings, as they always where when Yuzuru Hanyu would attend, even when World Championships were held abroad; nor in the Thursday reports; extrapolations from Pixeru numbers were of 3-4% viewers for the Short Programs, and 5-6% for the Free Programs, for Single skating, I didn't see for Pairs). This for a home competition where in three disciplines Japanese skaters got a Gold medal. I think this is a very clear message.

Magill

Record Breaker
Here it is alone:

His 4T+3T have become even more impressive and "out of nowhere" in the two last years, maybe partly due to the fact that he had opted, in Rondo, for a single crossover to take speed for it; but here, when spectators first saw the rink, before the skaters came in, there was a sort of unanimous exclamation about how the ice looked bad. And, indeed, Yuzuru himself had a missed spin (something he hadn't had in how many years?) in the opening number then a saved jump in Phantom of the Opera. And other skaters' performance was underwhelming, but in such conditions it was quite understandable. But still this 4T+3T was perfect...

A few numbers. Stars on Ice, who last year didn't seem to fill 30% of the seats in spite of 50% sale on the ticket prices, maybe because of the poor quality/creativity (compared for instance with Fantasy on Ice, or Art on Ice in Europe), maybe because the cast wasn't liked by everybody; wasn't sold out today, but was full at more than 80%; and is said to be sold out for next days. (A fan tried to count the Prologue and GIFT tote bags entering, and found out about 70%, but well, this is not really scientific measurement, just an idea.) Without any price reduction.
Fantasy on Ice first draft result have just come out. It's not the same "bloodbath" as GIFT or even Notte Stellata, but still, many applicants lost this lottery. So, Fantasy on Ice is likely to be sold out in the end. Without any price reduction either, of course.

Meanwhile, at World Championships, organisers have managed a full venue for the last day, and I haven't read report of sponsors employees forced to attend, but there was a large number of reports from local residents, who got free tickets, and some of these tickets were very good seats (S category). So, the revenue for Worlds may have been lower than expected. Fuji had bought the TV broadcast and didn't manage to resell any to other TV channels, even a few seconds for TV New, and the shares in viewing are said to be abysmal (they appear neither in Monday reports, which are for high numbers of viewings, as they always where when Yuzuru Hanyu would attend, even when World Championships were held abroad; nor in the Thursday reports; extrapolations from Pixeru numbers were of 3-4% viewers for the Short Programs, and 5-6% for the Free Programs, for Single skating, I didn't see for Pairs). This for a home competition where in three disciplines Japanese skaters got a Gold medal. I think this is a very clear message.

Wow! Thanks so much for the stats! Quite impressive indeed!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Here it is alone:

Very clear - and even if the ISU and JSF haven't got it, I think Yuzu is himself realising that people love him for himself and will follow him. He does seem to me to be getting that confidence back.

I loved that tiny arigato, for the fans but not trying to appear as The Star (I mean he was, the organisers and the TV and print media make that clear, but he is definitely not out to flaunt his status when with the other skaters).

Magill

Record Breaker
Very clear - and even if the ISU and JSF haven't got it, I think Yuzu is himself realising that people love him for himself and will follow him. He does seem to me to be getting that confidence back.

I loved that tiny arigato, for the fans but not trying to appear as The Star (I mean he was, the organisers and the TV and print media make that clear, but he is definitely not out to flaunt his status when with the other skaters).
I hope he does and I also have a feeling that his confidence is back on track.
OTOH, have you ever seen him whispering his arigato before? I liked it too, together with the quick little smile. Half intimate, half mischievous :) But kind of surprising.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ashura-chan today!

(And no, he has always to my knowledge shouted the arigato, and at NS had the entire cast shout it. SOI os different, both for him and the fans. But I'm sure we'll be back to fullthroat at FAoI)

Magill

Record Breaker
Disney+ have announced a worldwide stream of GIFT, plus extras :clap: details to be announced but what a thrill!

:hap10::clap::hap10::clap:

Thank you for sharing!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::party2::party2::party2::party2:
Disney+_, you have just gained a bunch of new subscribers worldwide!!!!! Thank you! And see you by TV!!!
PS Please l;et us know if you know about the date but....... wow!PS2 They must have been very glad with their results to go worldwide

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'll definitely be watching for announcements! It's now all OVER twitter, of course. Clearly, Disney liked the numbers they have achieved so far if they're now going worldwide :yahoo::jump::yahoo::jump:even if we don't get the stats, this is a statement.

It's especially significant at a time when the ISU is putting competitions behind paywalls and making it harder and harder for people to find and watch the sport, that one of the biggest streaming companies worldwide is going to show one skater worldwide. And think what it is bringing Yuzu in exposure and in profits. GIFT looked like a huge risk at the time of announcement, but it - and Prologue, and NS - have given his pro career the very best takeoff imaginable.

I'm over the moon for him.