Tall and Statuesque Skaters Club | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Tall and Statuesque Skaters Club

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah, so I remembered this reddit thread, and even though this is now one year old, includes all ages (i.e. also still-growing juniors who are more likely to be exceedingly short), plus is solely based on ISU bios that are often not accurate (as infrequently updated), maybe the average heights are still interesting for everyone here:
  • Average height of female pair skaters: 155.9 cm
  • Average height of male pair skaters: 180.3 cm
  • Average height of female skaters excluding pairs: 162.3
  • Average height of male skaters excluding pairs: 176.5

Also, notable entries from that thread:
  • Madeleine LINDHOLM TORGERSEN (Singles): 180 cm
  • Viktoria BORZENKOVA (Pairs woman): 168 cm
  • Andrei CHUVILAEV (Pairs man): 200 cm

I assume both of the women's height averages are somewhat lowered by the comparatively young age women start competing internationally compared to many men, but even then the trend is quite clear:
Pairs women < non-pairs women < non-pairs men < pairs men
added

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh that is interesting, the name sounded very Norwegian, and after a quick Google search I found out indeed that she is Norwegian, and was competing at JGP in 2016. Never heard of her before, even though I started watching figure skating in 2014 :scratch2: :scratch2:

I was going to write that Linnea Kilsand seems to be the tallest of the Norwegian women I could think of, she is 166 cm. But compared to Madeleine that is nothing. I guess Linnea is the tallest of the active skater at least.
added

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
No problem, already added.

Thank you. (Although, small correction, her name is spelt with an "i", i.e. Helina).

And I see she has already been been overtaken by a real-life Amazon from Norway. 180cm?! That's near enough 5ft 11in! :drama:

What are they feeding your girls up there @norwegianfairytale?! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you. (Although, small correction, her name is spelt with an "i", i.e. Helina).

And I see she has already been been overtaken by a real-life Amazon from Norway. 180cm?! That's near enough 5ft 11in! :drama:

CaroLiza_fan
Fixed

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Real time updating as she is on the ice right now : Amelia Orzel, 170cms

Country
Norway

CaroLiza_fan
I think Scandinavians/Nordics in general are tall, and I started to think about Danes too and that is when I found out about Tyllesen :biggrin: We should probably look into Swedes as well, what about Gabriel Folkesson? He looks tall. The reason I rememberd Thomas Kennes was that Dutch people are usually taller then Scandinavians, and then I checked out Kennes. Does anybody know the height of Van Zundert? Her ISU bio is blank there.

Canadians seems to very tall as well looking at the numbers.

All the males in my family are very tall, I have two brothers that are over 190 cm, the same with my father. I have always been told i´m tall for a girl, i´m 172 cm, but compared to my family i´m tiny :LOL: My mum is under 170 cm so that is why i´m not taller.

Btw, is very interesting for me that the tallest girls are mostly retired skater. I guess it´s not easy being a female skater and tall these days were there are even higher requirements on technical layout.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ben Agosto is actually taller about 5'10
Charlie White is an inch shorter at 5'9"
Scott Moir is definitely not 5'6" he's more like 180 cm

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Does anyone know how tall Ulrich Salchow or Axel Poulsen were?
Axel Poulsen was a sculptor.

Salchow, Paulsen and Lutz were all born in the 19th century. I don't think their ISU bios are up to date ;) I mean, we cannot even have a straight answer about some of the skaters from just a couple decades ago. :)

However, I was shocked to find out that Lutz only live 20 years..... anyone knows how he died?

I was shocked to find out that Lutz only live 20 years..... anyone knows how he died?
I found a reference that said he died of pneumonia. Since this was during the great Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918, I would conjecture that the flu caused the pneomonia.

By the way. evidently he was only 15 (or maybe had just turned 16) when he presented his jump in comp[etition.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I found a reference that said he died of pneumonia. Since this was during the great Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918, I would conjecture that the flu caused the pneomonia.

By the way. evidently he was only 15 (or maybe had just turned 16) when he presented his jump in comp[etition.
thanks for digging the info...

Ben Agosto is actually taller about 5'10
Charlie White is an inch shorter at 5'9"
Scott Moir is definitely not 5'6" he's more like 176 cm
I have seen them standing next to each other many times when they were training together in Detroit. I am sure this is right. Scott is definitely a couple of centimeters taller than Charlie.